Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Flowers (and perfection)

I do a lot of photography, or I used to to anyway. It's been a long time since I've taken some photos just for my own enjoyment, as I've mostly been focusing on getting shots of cats up for rehoming where I volunteer. It's not exactly a creative field, but I enjoy it nonetheless (though it's certainly not easy!).

There have been some flowers on the window sill the last couple days and I kept looking at how the light hits them and wanting to finally click the shutter for myself again. It took me until today to actually go for it and I very nearly let the opportunity pass. I decided to focus on my favourite styles of photography; macro and abstract. The following shot stood out to me.

I'm a very strict perfectionist when it comes to my own work. I'll beat myself up and get depressed over the slightest imperfection and yet somehow, there's something about this shot that I really like. I retook it so that the yellow flower was completely in focus and thought "That's better!" Got them onto my computer and actually found that I preferred this out of focus version. I hope you find some enjoyment from it too :)
CoryZero

Comments

• CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I was trying to make the whole picture in focus. But I like it better with the macro look. I like the unique look yours has. I've never seen a picture like that, and that's awesome! :D
    Zero
  • Your pics got me inspired to take a snap . . .
    Is the Buddha a type of flower?
  • Great photos guys :) Thanks for sharing! I'm feeling inspired too, so tomorrow I plan on getting up early and going out to capture the early spring flowers that are coming out.
  • I'm jealous. You guys have flowers! My garden is brown and dead looking, but we have spring almost on the horizon now. Nice pics.
  • Clearly picked a good day to get some photos, as a few more crocus flowers have opened overnight! Given yesterday's unexpected success with an out of focus shot, I went into manual focus today and purposefully blurred some shots. It didn't really work out all that well, but I did get a couple of shots that I like where the depth of field is really shallow (only a small section is clear).

I've also spent today making myself a tabletop 'studio' out of a cardboard box and some translucent packaging. Won't be able to test it out until tomorrow though.