Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Breaking the habit of a life time

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
I have been chewing my nails as long as I can remember (I am 41).

When I was nervous or anxious and my mind stuck on something I would suddenly find myself gnawing away.

About 2 days ago I looked at my nails and they were longer than I could ever remember. It dawned on me I hadn't chewed them for at least a couple of weeks!

It's funny how little things in this practice creep up on you......

Anyone else with similar experiences?

lobsterchelaTreeLuvr87

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I've been a lifetime nail chewer too. I have, in the past, stopped for particular reasons, like my wedding, but always few and far between. It never lasts for me. Sometimes I'll notice, like you did, that I haven't chewed them in a while, but it seems like whenever I notice that, I'm at them again in like 2 minutes. Did you know nail biting like that has been listed in the new DSM as a type of OCD? My sister pointed that out to me a few weeks ago, lol.

I hope your intermission lasts! I do it without thinking, not even in response to stress or something. I can let them go several weeks and then I'll go to a movie or something and come out with them gone. Frustrating habit, to be sure, but I figure there are worse ones.
  • The same thing happened to me in my forties, but it happened while I was seeing a psychiatrist. Same kind of thing I think.
  • Yup- I used to chew my nails. Looking at it now, it happened shortly after I started to practice. Did not think about stopping, just sort of noticed after a while that I had stopped biting them. Really didn't put that together until right now.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I don't for one moment think that I'll never chew my nails again but I feel that this is a step in the right direction.....maybe it's like smoking and will take a few goes to kick!! :thumbsup:
  • Once I stopped doing it, I found that the thought of all the potential filth that could get on my hands made putting them in my mouth seem like a bad idea. I work with tools and different poisonous preservatives and paints and such, not to mention the stuff that comes from doorknobs, hand railings ect.
    Bunks
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Yup- I used to chew my nails. Looking at it now, it happened shortly after I started to practice. Did not think about stopping, just sort of noticed after a while that I had stopped biting them. Really didn't put that together until right now.

Don't chew your nails! Remember what happened to Venus DiMilo!

Nirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    HILARIOUS comment, vinlyn!

Well, all you nail biters may at least very well be HONEST. I always thought that I trimmed my nails with my teeth to keep them a safe length.

Perhaps I am deluded.
    Bunks