Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting Flick

howhow Veteran Veteran
edited February 2013 in Arts & Writings
Anybody seen the documentary "Searching for Sugar Man".

I thought it was a fascinating portrayal of a man seemingly unaffected by fame & gain.
blu3ree

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you! I will check it out!
  • how said:

Anybody seen the documentary "Searching for Sugar Man".

I thought it was a fascinating portrayal of a man seemingly unaffected by fame & gain.

Haha seems to good to be true.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @how -- Always looking for offbeat movies to watch. Thanks.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    I will definitely see if I can find it online or on netfix. Sounds interesting! :D
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Our very own @Jason wrote a great piece about it on his blog.

Interesting factoid: Sixto Rodriguez lives down the street from @Lincoln and I. We're neighbors.
    Invincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Yes, I thought it was very Buddhist in that sense, OP. Rodriguez seems to be a very spiritual person in the way he lives his life.

What really struck me throughout the film was that although it was only touched upon briefly in the film, this guy is Native American through and through. What we consider to be Buddhist nature is Native American values. And his appearance, the quality of his voice, and manner of thinking and speaking all remind me of the Lakota, and other Plains tribes. Which makes sense, his being from the Mid-West. I wish the film had delved more deeply into the obvious influence his Native mother had had on him.

The film also reminded me of another independent film that spotlights a little-known musician (now deceased): "Genghis Blues", about the blind blues guitarist and composer, Paul Pena and his trip to the Republic of Tuva (Russian Federation). Paul is a similarly soft-spoken and delightfully quirky and creative personality like Rodriguez.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187859
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Dakini
    Some odd notes & questions for me about the flick was...
    I actually assumed that his heritage was Latino from his appearance & name.
    Many of his mannerisms were feminine and yet he seemed so comfortable in his own skin. Kind of a Bob Dylan with better lyrics, voice and enunciation.
    I didn't understand why his gait on uneven ground was so unsteady until I realized he couldn't see where the ground was.
    I wondered why all the interviews about him and his children growing up oddly never made any mention of the kid's mother.
    Maybe our own on site sleuth team might share a bit of the neighbourhood scoop.
  • "He couldn't see where the ground was"?

Yes, I noticed that the mother was never discussed. Well, neither was the father, much. They did say the mother was Native American. The other interesting thing was that they said the father was drawn to Detroit in the 60's along with other "Mexicans" (I wonder if the father had Native heritage, too, from Mexico) because of jobs in the auto industry. The auto industry, though, has always been heavily unionized. So how were illegal aliens able to find jobs there in significant numbers? The unions wouldn't have allowed that.

It's a characteristic of some Native men to appear to have "feminine" mannerisms. They seem to have their masculine side and feminine side well-integrated, being very comfortable with both, as you say. And totally, he seemed like another Dylan with his musical style and lyrics. I think the film mentioned that in passing.

I wish the film had investigated where all the money went from his royalties. Or 60 Minutes, which did a segment on him, could have tried to investigate. Maybe the people who stole his money have disappeared and gone underground, like the one who changed his phone number after he was contacted from South Africa re: Rodgriguez.

Did you notice the building he lives in? It looks like he bought an old dilapidated building and fixed it up, using his construction skills. Tight new double (or triple?)-paned windows, nice remodeling job on the inside, to house his daughters and their families. Quite a guy.