Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Living In The Now vs Seeking Enlightenment

I've stopped worrying about or trying to make things happen in the future. I've stopped beating myself up about things I have done or trying to re-create things I've done in the past. I've started living in the now, the world we live in is wondrous. Sure there are bad things happening but we are surrounded by beauty if we open our eyes to see it. Life's experiences are a marvel as long as we take the time to savour them.

Now here lies my problem - do I really want to stop living in the now to lock myself away from this beautiful life to start chasing enlightenment, surely this is just another form of chasing a desire, of trying to live in the future?
TBRulh

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2013
    if you are already living in now, why do you want to stop it? can enlightenment be ever reached by not living in now? think about it please.
  • You don't chase enlightenment, that is clinging at the future still. Like Ajahn Chah said, to be liberated you have to not want to be essentially, kind of a noodle scratcher. Living in the now means to experience whatever is going on now and observe how you react to things. You will notice that you either put things into the good box or the bad box and try to avoid the bad box. When in fact everything is neither good or bad, we just give labels to these things. I would meditate some if I were you, observe the mind as it wonders from place to place and then in your day to day life, when suffering occurs observe where it comes from and watch it fade away.
    Invincible_summer
  • do I really want to stop living in the now to lock myself away from this beautiful life to start chasing enlightenment
    Are you mistaking the Middle Way for the sanghism cult started by child support avoider and ancient mysoginist cult leader, Shakyamuni?
    :p

tsk, tsk - if not careful, you will be robbing grave shrouds, munching left overs and planning your next life of misery . . .

Stay lay for now, support the unfortunates of the 3 jewels and carry on with Mr Cushion and stop having your head turned by beautiful living, sad cases of flesh or the latest must have moment . . .

hope that is useful
    If not, it will soon pass . . . :clap:
    Invincible_summerperson

• Now here lies my problem - do I really want to stop living in the now to lock myself away from this beautiful life to start chasing enlightenment, surely this is just another form of chasing a desire, of trying to live in the future?

Have you ever lived at any other time than now? Even your chasing for freedom is happening at this moment. We must realize this deep in our hearts.
    Let one not trace back the past
    Or yearn for the future-yet-to-come.
    That which is past is left behind
    Unattained is the "yet-to-come."
    But that which is present he discerns —
    With insight as and when it comes.
    The Immovable — the-non-irritable.
    In that state should the wise one grow.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.131.nana.html
    Bunks
  • Enlightenment is now.
    EnriqueSpainTBRulhInvincible_summerchela
  • I think there's no dilemma at all ! :
    Only through an authentic-genuinely lived & felt NOW we reach some kind of Enlightenment. Greetings!!
  • FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Thank you all for your replies.
    lobster said:

Stay lay for now, support the unfortunates of the 3 jewels and carry on with Mr Cushion and stop having your head turned by beautiful living, sad cases of flesh or the latest must have
    I'm talking about making my way through life being lucky enough to have a job where I'm happy in just doing the right job and enjoying the fact that I'm putting something back into society by doing it, it's bloody hard work and thankless at times but we all have to have things in our lives that aren't always pleasurable.

I'm talking about the simple pleasures of walking down the road and hearing a bird sing or a beautiful sunset but it's balanced out by seeing a cat hunting the birds or realising have the colour of the sunset is down to the pollution caused by mankind.

I'm talking about the greeting my dog gives me when I come home from work, the way my cat jumps into my arms and purrs if I come down for a drink of water in the middle of the night because she's pleased to have me to herself. The fact that I'm lucky to have fresh, clean water on tap whenever I want it.
    TBRulh
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I'm talking about making my way through life being lucky enough to have a job where I'm happy in just doing the right job and enjoying the fact that I'm putting something back into society by doing it, it's bloody hard work and thankless at times but we all have to have things in our lives that aren't always pleasurable.

I'm talking about the simple pleasures of walking down the road and hearing a bird sing or a beautiful sunset but it's balanced out by seeing a cat hunting the birds or realising have the colour of the sunset is down to the pollution caused by mankind.

I'm talking about the greeting my dog gives me when I come home from work, the way my cat jumps into my arms and purrs if I come down for a drink of water in the middle of the night because she's pleased to have me to herself. The fact that I'm lucky to have fresh, clean water on tap whenever I want it.

What is your view of "enlightenment?" To you, how does enlightenment (and a deeper practice of Buddhism) lead to one not enjoying life anymore?

I must ask because to me, it makes very little sense that people would follow Buddhism if it meant that, after intense and deep spiritual practice, we would become feelingless automatons.
    Jeffreylobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Do I really want to stop living in the now to lock myself away from this beautiful life to start chasing enlightenment?

Seeking enlightenment is believing that it's somewhere else.

Living in the "Now" is just not trying to live in the future or the past, but in of itself can embrace greed, hate & delusion as easily as compassion, love & wisdom.

IMO and it's pretty much the same as all the other posts here.... they are both too limited as stated to be an either or choice.
    riverflowInvincible_summer

• Now here lies my problem - do I really want to stop living in the now to lock myself away from this beautiful life to start chasing enlightenment, surely this is just another form of chasing a desire, of trying to live in the future?

you have a problem, that means you are not satisfied
    if you are not satisfied that means you are not enlightened

if you want to live a satisfied life
    it is a necessacity to see enlightenment

such desire is a positive desire
    such Effort leads to Chanda Samadhi (one of the Irdipaa)

for this you have to follow the Noble Eightfold Path
    if one is in NEP at that moment one lives in the moment, is living 'Now"

:)
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Where is the now? It is defined conditional upon past and future. Since all of those three are defined relative to each other none of them are self-standing. Now is just a mental label you put to thoughts as they manifest. But since we cannot find the now (there it just went) it would be a tricky goal to be in the now. Enlightenment on the other hand is outside of time and thus it is a worthy goal.
    riverflowchela
  • Not finding the now,
    enlightened activity shines forward.
    Resting, all things accomplished.
    Doing or non-doing, both useless ideas.

Whether doing or non-doing both is enlightenment.

Progression and non-procession each the display of the unborn mind.

Waking up to this is to see non-arising.

Yet for those who wander the this/that world. Practice hard, study the view and arrive no where. The dharma is releasing the grasping. Then one will find nothing was released, nothing was gained, nothing was lost. Just this. How many desire to maintain this? By maintaining or trying to one falls back into duality. Surrender and perfection constantly awaits.
    riverflowGuiJeffreyzenff
  • :wave:
    Contentment in simple moments is good for now. We also practice to be content with adversity, to allow the dissipation of our karma and to be more know now . . .
    Jeffrey
  • Hsin Hsin Ming - Seng-ts'an Third Patriarch of Zen.
    (extrac)

The Way is perfect like vast space
    where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess.
    Indeed, it is due to our choosing to accept or reject
    that we do not see the true nature of things.
    Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,
    nor in inner feelings of emptiness.
    Be serene in the oneness of things
    and such erroneous views will disappear by themselves.
    When you try to stop activity to achieve passivity
    your very effort fills you with activity.
    As long as you remain in one extreme or the other
    you will never know Oneness.
    Those who do not live in the single Way
    fail in both activity and passivity,
    assertion and denial.
    To deny the reality of things
    is to miss their reality;
    to assert the emptiness of things
    is to miss their reality.
    The more you talk and think about it,
    the further astray you wander from the truth.
    Stop talking and thinking,
    and there is nothing you will not be able to know.
    To return to the root is to find the meaning,
    but to pursue appearances is to miss the source.
    At the moment of inner enlightenment
    there is a going beyond appearance and emptiness.
    The changes that appear to occur in the empty world
    we call real only because of our ignorance.
    Do not search for the truth;
    only cease to cherish opinions.
    zenffJeroen
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Living in the now is itself enlightenment.
    MaryAnne
  • I am no expect but I see enlightenment as something that comes from presence and inner peace. Every time you have a regret or desire or feel anger or suffering you are distancing yourself from enlightenment, so let go of your regret or desire and find peace to bring yourself back to this place. Just let it all go and be here, now.
    MaryAnne
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    @Lee82-"Every time you have a regret or desire or feel anger or suffering you are distancing yourself from enlightenment"
    So if I have happiness or joy am I also distancing myself from enlightenment? Emotions are what they are, all of them. They are normal. Remember the Buddha said there is suffering in this world, there are things that are painful, emotions that are disturbing. The problem is not in haveing these emotions, but what do we do with them, how do we hold on to them? Feeling as we do is okay and doesn't, IMO, lead us away from the goal. It's the ability to be with what is happening now and not pushing away that which we dislike; but sitting with it, being aware and mindful of what is and being okay with that. I only responded as I think there is a tendency ( I had this in myself as well) to push away negative emotions, not realizing that this was me too. Sometimes these very negative emotions can be our best teachers, especially if we sit with an open heart and learn from them.
    All the best,
    Todd
    @taiyaki-I love Achaan Chah! Sublimely beautiful. Thanks for the post :)
  • @Theswingisyellow I understand about emotions and experiencing them and learning from them, I had a post about my recent difficult experiences not so long ago. But regret or desire is not experience it is contemplation while anger is distant from peace.

I'm still finding my way with Buddhism so it's always good to hear people's different opinions on things. Other than one particular desire I know I have, I feel I have managed to bring myself almost completely in to the present and it is benefiting me by being ever relaxed and at peace, I do not worry, stress, dwell on the past or have things constantly going around in my head as I did before.

The one desire I have left is to be in a relationship and be able to share my experiences with someone else. This is very difficult to let go of as I have been with one person or other my whole life so far and currently am not. I am content to be on my own at present but I know that what I really want is to find someone else. To be honest I don't see that particular desire as being a bad one even though I know it causes me suffering. Relationships, marriage, families and all that is one area I really cannot get my head around and is the thing that stops me being totally present.
  • @Lee82 once you have those things, they will not be enough. Don't forget about Fetter.
    I would say that regret, desire, peace and anger is the totality of our lives-all of it. Finding love or a soulmate-this is human nature, this is normal to socialize, to love and be loved. Our concepts of what we should be or shouldn't be is where we err, IMO. Wanting to be free of attachments or desire is in itself an attachment. Lee I don't know anything and hope you don't find my post critical. I am on this path, just like you, trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the discussion :)
    All my best,
    Todd
    lobster
  • Lee82 said:

The one desire I have left is to be in a relationship and be able to share my experiences with someone else.

This is the one thing that is going to cause me the most pain in my life, when I lose my beloved. I hope I have the strength to endure the suffering that it brings and in turn the strength it will give me.
  • Sometimes people feel that recognizing the truth of suffering conditions a pessimistic outlook on life, that somehow it is life-denying. Actually, it is quite the reverse. By denying what is true, for example, the truth of impermanence, we live in a world of illusion and enchantment. Then when circumstances change in ways we don’t like, we feel disappointed, angry, or bitter. The Buddha expressed the liberating power of seeing the unreliability of conditions. “All that is subject to arising is subject to cessation. Becoming disenchanted one becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion the mind is liberated.” It’s telling that in English “disenchanted,” “disillusioned,” and “dispassionate” often have a negative connotation. But looking more closely at their meaning reveals their connection to freedom.

Becoming disenchanted means breaking the spell of enchantment, waking up into a greater and fuller reality. This is the happy ending of so many great myths and fairy tales. Being disillusioned is not the same as being disappointed or discouraged. It is a reconnection with what is true, free of illusion. And “dispassionate” does not mean indifference or lack of vital energy for living. Rather, it is the mind of great openness and equanimity, free of grasping. — Joseph Goldstein.

"And what is the purpose of dispassion? What is its reward?""Dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward."
    Kimattha Sutta

"For a dispassionate person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I realize the knowledge & vision of release.' It is in the nature of things that a dispassionate person realizes the knowledge & vision of release."
    Cetana Sutta

"Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles: as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.
    Satta Sutta
    Theswingisyellow
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2013
    the only moment, which is complete in itself, is now.
    the only moment we live is now.
    the only moment, in which we can awake, is now.
    Theswingisyellow