Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alcohol Substitute

SephSeph Veteran
edited February 2013 in General Banter
Alcohol Substitute

Many people make a vow to abstain from
alcohol, often citing religious reasons. (Often religious people might use alcohol as an issue of judgment. I know there is a tension
between the Evangelical and Catholics on this issue - among others - and Muslims also come to mind.)

There was an Evangelical wedding my
wife and I were invited to several years ago that was quite the
experience; one we'll never forget.

No alcohol.

None.

No cash bar. No open
bar. No wine on the tables, but grape juice for the toasts. Don't get
me wrong. It isn't that I need alcohol to have fun. It's not that I
need alcohol to celebrate. It's that there wasn't really any
celebrating. Strictly controlled speeches. No music. No dancing.

It was like fun
was replaced with fear.

That is the point that haunts me to this day, and has heavily
affected a decision I made last summer on holiday (August 2012). I
promised myself to give up drink. No, there was no event or
embarrassment that initiated it. Just a point I came to in my
personal journey towards solace and compassion.

However,
I have zero tolerance for using this promise for any degree of
attention. We all know these people. At some celebration or social
event they decide to make it about their abstinence or their belief, at the passive judgement and potential guilt of others. No, that was
never the purpose for me. I would have no difficulty with a glass of
wine at a toast or social engagement should it merit it. (And
incidentally this made me appreciate and savor the tastes more than
before).

I know
what you're thinking because I thought it myself. “That's
not making a vow to abstain from alcohol”

Maybe
we should explore some traditional understandings or assumptions
about 'vows'. Many of our “Western Traditions” or beliefs or
religions – like the Evangelical, Catholic, or Muslim mentioned
earlier – are ethical systems governed by rules. They are based on
obedience to regulations and consequences. Failure or disobedience comes with
moral guilt and fear of punishment. Ultimately, whether intentionally or not, it is a system of fear - and in turn - punishment. Taking a vow of alcohol abstinence in this tradition can only end in a fear of failure. There are no degrees or gradations allowed, for its purpose is not focused on personal growth or improvement, because improvement is an ongoing process, and process involves growth, and growth involves failure.

I
don't believe this is spiritually healthy.

In the Mindfulness tradition
the practices governing ethical behaviour are primarily concerned
with shaping personal character. If one falls short of the promise,
they simply take note of the shortcoming and vow to do better on the
next occasion, without the feeling of incompetence or moral guilt.

This
particular way of approaching ethical conduct invites the individual
to act morally – not to avoid punishment
(I don't run a red traffic light because I'm afraid of getting a
ticket, but because I understand the danger I put myself and others
in), but for the more positive and constructive purpose of refining
one's character and promoting the well-being of the world (solace and
compassion). This Mindfulness tradition uses neither the stick nor
the carrot. (I am not given a reward for my good behaviour).

Making a vow in these two traditions involve drastically different functionalities.

I
suppose my 'vow of alcohol abstinence' was more one of moderation and refraining from abuse. But the more I thought about
it, the more I came to realize it was closer to Buddhism's 5th
precept:

I shall endeavor not to consume
toxins.”

Alcohol is not
necessarily a poison, but it can be. However, there are a great many
mind-inflicting toxins out there.

Historically, the
precept to refrain from consuming toxins referred specifically to the
use of alcohol, but the intent of this principle was simply to
diminish the destructive effects of drunkenness. The use of alcohol
can obviously affect the ability to think clearly, but alcohol
isn't the only substance that can affect our ability to think clearly
. Adhering to the
spirit of this precept would necessarily mean becoming aware of any
substance that could impair our mental and bodily functions, such as
tobacco and mind-altering drugs.

Promising
to observe this precept means nothing less than monitoring the things
we allow into our bodies and into our minds.

Guarding our minds
from intoxication and toxicity would necessarily include being aware
of the kinds of information we take in. Gossip, slander, toxic people, poisonous attitudes, and some media. (Is watching Simon Cowell degrade and humiliate hopeful young artists and singers really entertainment? What does it say about you if you enjoy this?)

Religion can be a
dangerous addiction.

Religiosity is a
consumable toxin. And for those who would make this vow of
alcohol/toxin abstinence – especially for religious reasons – I
would advise them to search deeply and tread carefully.

Do not replace one
with another more difficult to abstain from and near impossible to
identify or be aware of. In fact, one could argue that Religiosity
has a built-in system to keep its addicts blind to their affliction –
fear of punishment and moral guilt. Perpetually conditioned to believe themselves undeserving and inadequate.

For me, these past six months have been yet another exercise in approaching the Mu Portal; freeing myself from the fetters that shackle and bind me.

I don't think is it overly important whether we take this 'vow' to not consume toxins, but I think it is extremely important  that we take an inventory of toxins within our daily lives. Alcohol would seem to be the lest of our worries.

riverflowBhanteLuckylobsterchelaToshVastmindzenffamandathetexankarastiNirvanaStraight_ManInvincible_summerKundoBeej

Comments

• Thank you for this insightful look into ideas and definitions of toxins and for offering some important questions that we should ask ourselves when contemplating moral growth and abstinence of toxins.

This reminds me of something I've noticed since moving to this Catholic-rich area that I live in years and years ago. (Not to pick on Catholics-- I am married into them and love them.) This is an example of what I see as following a religious rule just so you can say you follow it, even though you are not experiencing the true purpose of the rule. During Lent, Catholics (at least in my area) give up meat on Fridays as a form of penance. But what they do is swarm to Red Lobster and other restaurants to feast themselves on expensive lobster and seafood dinners (and often plenty of alcohol). Of course, not every single one of them is having an expensive dinner, but the point is clear. Nobody is really experiencing penance from my observations.
    MaryAnne
  • @chela

It really depends on the tradition, how it is communicated to you, and how you approach it.

From the tradition I came from Great Lent is seen as an opportunity for spiritual growth through a period of intense inner spiritual reflection and asceticism where worldly pursuits are greatly reduced. This is beyond one's standard or normal spiritual practices, and it is not easy or supposed to be. One is advised that if you aren't struggling spiritually during this period then you are not approaching it with the correct motivation or spirit.

However, it is not an impossible task as the Church provides support through its services and sacraments working towards the feast of Pascha or Easter. I particularly like the evening Vespers services for their solemnity, and the Akathist to the Theotokos or Mother of God is very beautiful indeed.

Last Sunday was the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, and the parable in Luke 18:9-14 reminds us to avoid being critical or judgmental of others.

As it is chanted in the Church:

Let us flee from the pride of the Pharisee!
    And learn humility from the Publican's tears!
    Let us cry to our Savior,
    Have mercy on us,
    Only merciful One.

Anyway, I will from time to time be attending these services with my family and friends this season. I might even keep the fast too.

orthodoxwiki.org/Great_Lent
    Nirvana
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    @Seph, that's some good stuff you typed up there.
    A lot of it sounds very similar to Thich Nhat Hanh's "Fifth Mindfulness Training": (his take on the Fifth Precept)
    Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I vow to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking and consuming.
    I vow to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society.
    I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films and conversations.
    I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society and future generations.
    I will work to transform violence, fear, anger and confusion in myself and in society by practicing a diet for myself and for society.
    I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society.
    http://dharma.ncf.ca/introduction/precepts/precept-5.html
    chelaJeffrey
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited February 2013
    In the Kadam tradition the 5 precepts or Pratimoksha vows of a lay person are very important to observe, These precepts are received via a qualified preceptor and our motivation for taking them is to aid in training in Renunciation for the benefit of others. Breaking vows is not good as they create karmic obstructions that hinder our efforts to accomplish enlightenment while observing them purely creates an abundant source of good fortune that acts as a way of bringing us closer to our final goal.

Je Tsongkhapa demonstrated the Importance of Pratimoksha and morale discipline as an integral part of Buddhadharma it is often said that with the Body of morale discipline we shall wield the axe of wisdom that will cut away at the root of Ignorance, These things act in succession and are mutually dependent upon one and other in order to take one to the other side.

As our morale discipline falters our defilements increase and we become like farmers throwing poisonous seeds amongst their crops, No good can come from engaging in non virtue and this non virtue only arises from a mind which is uncontrolled and unmindful of the consequences of the future.

Alcohol and other such intoxicants are the best way to become unmindful and as a consequence it is much easier for our bad habits to arise and lead us to scatter more poison seeds that will inevitably result in poisonous fruit in the future.

Je Tsongkhapa observed his morale discipline purely throughout his life more thoroughly then worldly people would protect their body, but the body of this life is only very temporary and Buddha says that it is our morale discipline in the past that has given rise to this precious human rebirth therefore it is far more important to protect the body of morale discipline.
    TheEccentric
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Alcohol is pointless, don't see why people drink it, even in moderation.
    Invincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I abstain from intoxication. I don't 100% abstain from drinking. If I go out on a date I might have a beer, or a glass of wine, but that is it, and not always. I don't go out to drink and I don't drink to get a buzz or get drunk like I used to. Interestingly, the precepts I took when I did my refuge vows with my teacher did not include abstaining from intoxicants, even though my teacher strongly believes in that.

I did want to disagree with the notion that alcohol is not a poison. In the bottle not as much, maybe. Once you ingest it, it is. A small percent of alcohol is metabolized via your breathing and sweating. But most of it is metabolized in the digestive system, in which enzymes in your body turn the alcohol into acetaldehyde, which is indeed a poison. Because of that your body stops it's normal digestive process in order to process the alcohol first in an attempt to rid the body from the poison. That's the main reason people who drink a lot gain so much weight. Not simply from the extra calories in the alcohol, but because most often people eat when they are drinking, and the body stops digesting the food in order to process the alcohol. Then the body doesn't metabolize the food properly and it causes a higher % of that food to be stored as fat within the body.

@TheEccentric Alcohol just is. It's not good or bad inherently. It's no different than caffeine or nicotine or giant peanut butter cups or flaming hot cheetos, as far as why people like it and drink it. If you think about it, much of what we consume, and spend our time doing is entirely pointless. We all still do it.
  • I don't see why not having alcohol at a wedding means "replacing fun with fear". No music? No dancing? Well, maybe the fun was on a different level than you could perceive. Getting together in a large gathering with loved ones, catching up on news with those you rarely have the opportunity to see, definitely is fun. Gatherings of family and friends are fun, no alcohol or music needed. Experiencing the love and companionship.

And no, I don't know any of "these" people, who make an event all about their abstinence. You know, the Native American community makes all their events alcohol-free, and it has nothing to do with morality. It's about survival of the species. And people from outside the community who are involved and supportive of the community forego alcohol in order to support the effort to be alcohol-free. They don't get all judgmental about it. It's about showing respect.

I agree with Silouan about how Lent, and other disciplines/vows/abstaining occasion an opportunity for reflection, and a deepening of one's commitment to the spiritual path. These things are tools in the right hands. In the wrong hands, they can be counterproductive.

If I had a wedding, there would be no alcohol, simply because it wouldn't occur to me to serve it, lol! Who needs it? What's the big deal? Who cares? Why do people need to drug themselves in order to enjoy themselves, anyway? What's up with that? I just don't get it. Oh well. :-/
    Yaskan
  • Alcohol is pointless, don't see why people drink it, even in moderation.

That makes me smile. Being a (sober) alcoholic, I don't understand why you folks who can drink in moderation don't get hammered every-single-night-of-the-week.

However, I'm pretty sure that for genetic reasons, alcohol does more for some folk than it does others. I saw a good documentary where they brain scanned three people:

1. A tee-totaller who by choice didn't drink because it didn't do much for them.
    2. Someone who was a moderate drinker.
    3. An alcoholic.

During the brain scan they fed each alcohol via an intravenous drip in a special way that negated the body's metabolism - so that each brain received the same amount of alcohol.

What happened in the corresponding brain scans were as follows:

1. Tee-totaller: the brain was only a tiny bit 'lit up'.
    2. Moderate drinker: the brain was moderately 'lit up'.
    3. Alcoholic: bells and whistles were playing; the brain really was 'lit up'.

On an anecdotal level I've asked Mrs Tosh why she hardly drinks and she says she doesn't like that 'out of control feeling'. I found that strange because when I drink, I feel IN CONTROL.

I hope that helps with your understanding of why some folk drink.

JeffreyMaryAnne
  • Tosh said:

when I drink, I feel IN CONTROL.

Not really. Could you explain? Does this mean that you feel out of control when you don't drink? Out of control of what? Are you able to enjoy life when you don't drink, experience enjoyment of simple things, like friends' company, music, a bright spring day, etc.?

I thought people "got hammered" in order to escape painful thoughts or painful realities.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Several times I've been asked to join "interest clubs", and sometimes I've refused. For example, once I was asked if I'd like to join a history club. Now, history is an interest of mine. I really enjoy going to historical places, watching occasional documentaries about history, and so forth. But I declined because I knew my interest wasn't as great as the people in that club. They read at least one piece of non-fiction history each month (either biography or about a particular period of history), spent hours discussing it, went on weekly history outings EVERY weekend, etc. And in pondering whether or not to join, I realized that I had an interest in history, but I was no historian.

Same for bowling. For a while I was on a weekly league...in fact, was the president of the league for several years. And then realized that it was becoming work instead of fun. So I became a sub bowler for the league and occasionally did open bowling.

Now when it comes to the topic of drinking. When I was younger I drank, though I was only drunk twice in my life. Mostly it was 1-3 mixed drinks in a social situation type of thing. Eventually I realized that alcohol didn't make the fun, it was being with people that was fun. So I simply stopped drinking. Completely. But I'm not a prude about it. Come to my house for dinner or for a get-together and there will be beer, wine, and at least rum and coke. I go to happy hours...with a sprite in my hand. I go to parties where I know there will be considerable drinking on the part of some. Doesn't bother me till people start getting drunk.

When I hear one person telling another person that they're not a Buddhist, I'll tell them to do impossible things to themselves...because it's not their place to decide what somebody else is. But I think each of has to decide internally the difference between saying "I am a Buddhist" and "I practice some Buddhist principles". And it's not easy determining where the line is that divides the two situations.

Personally, I practice some Buddhist principles, but I also practice some Christian principles. I find much wisdom in both places.

But am I a Buddhist? Well, I believe in the 4NT, the 8-fold path, and the 5 Precepts. But beyond that I question much. It's not that I disbelieve in things like karma (I just don't think we understand at all how that works) or rebirth (I don't believe in it or not believe in it; remain open-minded about it, but unconvinced). It isn't even that I'm a "lazy" Buddhist or Christian.

And when it comes down to the Precepts, each of us must decide what a specific Precept means. I don't agree with how most define sentience, for example. And when it comes to alcohol and drugs, FOR ME, it's NO. Period.

Now I'm not speaking about any specific person, because each person must make the decision where that line is. But, often (note that there is a difference between "often" and "always") when I hear Buddhists justifying their use of alcohol and/or drugs, in my view they are simply making excuses.

I try not to make excuses. I just like how it tastes so I drink it on occasion. Because I don't have a problem with it, and my teacher doesn't either, I do it when I really want to. Just like yesterday I ate like 6 cookies because I wanted to, lol. It might change over time. It might not. When I first got into Buddhism, I was having a drink or 2 every day. Now I might have 1 drink, 1-2 times a month. The fact that I have to have caffeine daily to prevent feeling like crap is more concerning to me than my 1-2 drinks a month.
  • karasti said:

I try not to make excuses. I just like how it tastes so I drink it on occasion. Because I don't have a problem with it, and my teacher doesn't either, I do it when I really want to. Just like yesterday I ate like 6 cookies because I wanted to, lol. It might change over time. It might not. When I first got into Buddhism, I was having a drink or 2 every day. Now I might have 1 drink, 1-2 times a month. The fact that I have to have caffeine daily to prevent feeling like crap is more concerning to me than my 1-2 drinks a month.

Caffeine is addicting, so when some people try to quit, they get withdrawal headaches.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Caffeine has anti-oxidants which are good. Alcohol, a glass of wine with a meal, is good for heart health.

When I think of alcohol and Buddhism? Well on one hand abusive and self harm are the problem of alcohol. If you only have a drink or two and don't drive, well then you don't fit in the self-harm category. Buddhism is all about non-harming, as Vincenzi our former friend and poster (now banned) always said, ahimsa.

The other category I think is just a cultural trapping of Buddhism. They think alcohol is bad just like they think garlic and onions are bad. In fact moderate alcohol is good for the heart and in fact onions and garlic are good for the blood. It is just a cultural trapping of Buddhism to say all alcohol is bad. I don't practice tantra with regard to garlic and onions. And at the same time I take the fifth precept to only mean to not become heedless. Or if you get in a car wreck, which is the worst thing of alcohol or one of them, you might even become headless!
    PadmaPhalaKundo
  • Dakini said:

Tosh said:

when I drink, I feel IN CONTROL.

Not really. Could you explain? Does this mean that you feel out of control when you don't drink? Out of control of what? Are you able to enjoy life when you don't drink, experience enjoyment of simple things, like friends' company, music, a bright spring day, etc.?

I thought people "got hammered" in order to escape painful thoughts or painful realities.

Hi Dakini,

Yes, while sober I could feel out of control; mostly of my emotions, but also of myself. If - when sober - I couldn't help but pick up that first drink and then finish the job - I had a sense that I had very little control over my life. I couldn't even guarantee I'd go to work the next day (I'm self employed). Sometimes I didn't know where I'd wake up. Obviously this lack of control manifested in my external world too; chased by bailiffs for money and stuff.

A sober alcoholic gagging for a drink will feel restless, irritable, discontented; anxious. You can't enjoy anything in this state, not music, not beautiful countryside; nothing; but given enough alcohol, we will get a sense of ease and comfort and we can enjoy music and stuff. Alcohol is a way of controlling our internal condition, even if outwardly we slur our words and can't control our bladders.

I also, when younger especially, when I drank, experienced something called the 'Popeye effect', you know what I mean; imagine what Popeye is like after he's had a tin of spinach. Drinking made me feel powerful; I could dance, I could talk to women, I was taller, I was better looking, I was funny. Women were prettier and the men were less scary.

Alcohol really changed my perceptions - big style. I don't think it's a mistake that whisky 'n' stuff is called 'spirits'; drinking could be like a spiritual experience for me. It made me present, quietened the mind; I could just watch the clouds and 'be'.

A lot of alkies/addicts are spiritual seekers, only we tend to find the wrong kind of spirits first.

HTH.

• ^ my post, should read coffee has anti-oxidants. Not caffeine.
  • Alcohol is pointless, don't see why people drink it, even in moderation.

Social lubricant.

About the caffeine, I know the withdrawal is what causes headaches. I phrased what I meant badly. When I said it was more concerning to me I meant the fact that I'm addicted enough to caffeine that I drink it solely to avoid the headaches. I do try to drink it in healthier forms like plain coffee and tea now, rather than soda. Even so, I hate that I feel beholden to caffeine in that way, which is why it bothers me. I do not, and have never felt beholden in alcohol in any way. I could always take it or leave it.

@Tosh that's interesting about the spiritual aspect. I wondered if that was a common theme. My ex (alcoholic) was very much like that. So were other people I know who are alcoholics. Very often very spiritual and deep people and most often also very intelligent. They seemed to have the hardest time coping with things they grasped about life better than the rest of us.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Seph said:

Religiosity is a
    Do not replace one
    fear of punishment and moral guilt. Perpetually conditioned to believe themselves undeserving and inadequate.

I don't think is it overly important whether we take this 'vow' to not consume toxins, but I think it is extremely important  that we take an inventory of toxins within our daily lives. Alcohol would seem to be the least of our worries.

I think, @Seph, that you are really onto something here. Will look more carefully at your Blog later. This equation of exclusivistic religiosity with toxins rather reminds me of Jesus's admonitions to people who have swept their houses clean, just to invite worse elements in —making them even worse than they were before their sweeping out (Matt 12 & Lk 11).

Both passages refer to "seven spirits," which can be taken as symbolic of the Seven Deadly sins of:
    Lust
    Gluttony
    Greed
    Sloth
    Wrath
    Envy
    Pride

Now, these seven Sins can be seen as "Spirits," which in this case would stand for Spiritual Sins in the sense of Simony, that is: Lust for Spiritual Greatness; Spiritual Gluttony; Spiritual Greed (Avaricious Conduct); Despondency of Spirit (sloth) while holding high spiritual office; Wrath towards those of other faiths; Envy of Superiors; and Pride in ones spiritual status.
    Silouan said:

As it is chanted in the [Orthodox] Church [during Great Lent]:

Have mercy on us,
    Only merciful One.

• Seph said:

Social lubricant.

This is the thing that I find odd. There's something wrong with our culture if people need to drug themselves to a degree just in order to enjoy each other's company. Maybe it makes sense if people are attending a party in a roomful of strangers, and people need help overcoming shyness. But then the question could be asked: why aren't the strangers more welcoming? Why are people so reserved, or walled off from each other? If it's an occasion where everyone knows each other and is happy to see each other, then what's the alcohol for?

vinlynriverflow
    edited February 2013
    Silouan said:

As it is chanted in the [Orthodox] Church [during Great Lent]:

Have mercy on us,
    Only merciful One.

The quintessential Orthodox icon: comparing the Pharisee who spells out his every good deed in public and thanks God that he is not like his lowly compatriots —juxtaposed to the poor publican who just simply and sincerely states, "Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner!"

There's no pretense in the publican, but it is so hard for adherents of the Abrahamic religions not to be imbued heavily with some form of pretense. Indeed, this concept "pretense" is as much about leaning towards an outcome as it is about putting on a show or of showing affect. But I mean this really in a descriptive way rather than a judgmental way (I hope.).
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Dakini said:

Seph said:

Social lubricant.

This is the thing that I find odd. There's something wrong with our culture if people need to drug themselves to a degree just in order to enjoy each other's company. Maybe it makes sense if people are attending a party in a roomful of strangers, and people need help overcoming shyness. But then the question could be asked: why aren't the strangers more welcoming? Why are people so reserved, or walled off from each other? If it's an occasion where everyone knows each other and is happy to see each other, then what's the alcohol for?

I don't buy it either.
    I suppose alcohol helps when you are young and random sex with strangers is on the agenda.
    If one is at a party to meet new people, being drunk may not be the best way to make a first impression.
    Family get togethers are always free from alcohol or drugs for me. Most of my family are AA. Or just non drinkers. Some of the younger ones are very boisterous anyway. Usually there are plenty of laughs.
    I've been a wet blanket most of my life since I quit drinking, but I like it that way.
    vinlyn

• What's with all the hand wringing and pearl clutching regarding drinking and/or drugs?

Humans have been taking/making intoxicants since the beginning of human time. It's nothing new. It doesn't reflect on these "horrible modern times", or on the decline of morals and ethics within our society.

Drinking is pleasurable, taking drugs and intoxicants is pleasurable, just like sex and eating is pleasurable. Humans are hardwired to seek that which is pleasurable and to avoid what is not.

We only get 'in trouble' when our seeking of pleasure overwhelms all other activities and (especially) our responsibilities. We will always find a way to experience these types of pleasures.... laws -or religion- can't stop that.

I look at it this way when it comes to drug or alcohol addiction - these people are "allergic" to these substances and must avoid them to stay sane and healthy. Others who do not have this 'allergic reaction' to drink or other intoxicants can (and do) function just fine within their lives while using and enjoying these things.... I think we should try to stop judging people based on our own issues we may or may not have with these substances.
  • Dakini said:

I don't see why not having alcohol at a wedding means "replacing fun with fear". No music? No dancing? Well, maybe the fun was on a different level than you could perceive. Getting together in a large gathering with loved ones, catching up on news with those you rarely have the opportunity to see, definitely is fun. Gatherings of family and friends are fun, no alcohol or music needed. Experiencing the love and companionship.

I don't disagree with your insightful post. But I just wanted to say that I think some sects of religion actually see "fun" as a no-no. I might be wrong, but I think Jehovah's Witnesses are one of those that do not openly allow celebration. As I do not have a lot of experience with them or knowledge, maybe I'm misinterpreting this no-celebration thing.

edited February 2013
    Is it just my thinking, or has this thread been veering largely off-topic even from its beginning??? I take the opening post/original post to be about TOXINS generically, and NOT about alcohol per se.
    Seph said:

Guarding our minds
    from intoxication and toxicity would necessarily include being aware
    of the kinds of information we take in. Gossip, slander, toxic people, poisonous attitudes, and some media. (Is watching Simon Cowell degrade and humiliate hopeful young artists and singers really entertainment? What does it say about you if you enjoy this?)

The OP goes on to talk about the mindfulness tradition precluding, as it were, hard-and-fast rules in favor of people being able to let the river of life flow through them without too much rigid constriction. Lacking this mindfulness component:
    Seph said:

Religion can be a
    dangerous addiction.

Religiosity is a

Do not replace one
    I think @Seph is also talking about the vicious circle we create for ourselves when the bar is set too high and we fail to meet our (and others') expectations:
    Seph said:

Maybe we should explore some traditional understandings or assumptions
    about 'vows'. Many of our “Western Traditions” or beliefs or
    religions – like the Evangelical, Catholic, or Muslim mentioned
    earlier – are ethical systems governed by rules. They are based on
    obedience to regulations and consequences. Failure or disobedience comes with
    moral guilt and fear of punishment. Ultimately, whether intentionally or not, it is a system of fear - and in turn - punishment. Taking a vow of alcohol abstinence in this tradition can only end in a fear of failure. There are no degrees or gradations allowed, for its purpose is not focused on personal growth or improvement, because improvement is an ongoing process, and process involves growth, and growth involves failure.

Kundo
    There seems to be a big disconnect between use of whatever substance, and abuse of it. Not everyone who drinks at a party drinks to get drunk. Why people feel the need to have a drink or 2 to loosen up and be able to talk more is largely due to our culture. We have a lot of ideas on what we think we should be, and we do not accept ourselves, or others, for who they really are because of it. So then a whole lot of people drink so they can feel more like the others, who are also drinking to feel more like the others and then you have a whole group of people who are trying to be like each other but no one really knows the other because of it. It's interesting.

I wonder if some of it goes back to our more ancient ancestry. Humans were mostly very tribal. We've always been social, but our social circles had been fairly small and tight, mostly family and extended family. So there is that connection and that common goal of keeping the community going etc. We don't have that same need anymore, but it seems biologically we are still looking for it. Many people don't have extended family around them, and they don't live in involved, close-knit communities, but they are still seeking that connection so they go to bars and parties and other large social events. But really when you look at the content of those things, they are empty. Lots of fun perhaps, but really void of any true connection.

8 years ago or so, I used to work at a place were we developed a routine that we'd all go to the bar after work on Thursdays. We had SO much fun. It really was a good time. Now, almost all of us have spouses, children, homes, "real" jobs, and other more stable, quiet lives. Sometimes, we try to get together at the same bar because we had so much fun there. Except now it's very hard to find any flow, any conversation that isn't based on the past. Our lives are just too different (even though they are very much the same) and we don't share that connection. I enjoy seeing them and catching up, but my heart is with my family. I think most people are the same as their lives progress. What their family is might differ a lot. But I think when we are younger, and those of us who haven't found our family yet when we are older, are seeking that close connection and acceptance. Once we find it, it seems very common that the need to go out and socialize in that forced manner disappears.
    MaryAnne
    MaryAnne said:

What's with all the hand wringing and pearl clutching regarding drinking and/or drugs?

Humans have been taking/making intoxicants since the beginning of human time. It's nothing new. It doesn't reflect on these "horrible modern times", or on the decline of morals and ethics within our society.

Drinking is pleasurable, taking drugs and intoxicants is pleasurable, just like sex and eating is pleasurable. Humans are hardwired to seek that which is pleasurable and to avoid what is not.

We only get 'in trouble' when our seeking of pleasure overwhelms all other activities and (especially) our responsibilities. We will always find a way to experience these types of pleasures.... laws -or religion- can't stop that.

I look at it this way when it comes to drug or alcohol addiction - these people are "allergic" to these substances and must avoid them to stay sane and healthy. Others who do not have this 'allergic reaction' to drink or other intoxicants can (and do) function just fine within their lives while using and enjoying these things.... I think we should try to stop judging people based on our own issues we may or may not have with these substances.

I assume we're talking about it because it's a Buddhist Precept.

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

Alcohol is pointless, don't see why people drink it, even in moderation.

That's fine for you, but for others, please consider that alcoholic drinks represent a very high level of artisan craftsmanship. When I drink, I drink because I appreciate the taste, creativity, and artistry of whatever I'm drinking.

Jeffrey
  • vinlyn said:

MaryAnne said:

What's with all the hand wringing and pearl clutching regarding drinking and/or drugs?

I assume we're talking about it because it's a Buddhist Precept.

Well, yes, that's why we're talking about it, but my comment was geared more to those who seem to sit in judgement of others who do drink (or partake in other intoxicants) occasionally- and wondering aloud why anyone would 'need' to drink at all; or questions what this says about us/society, etc?
    In a sense, almost every post is a judgement. In fact, in a sense you just implied a judgement on those who sit in judgement. :D Is there any more judgmental thread, for example, than our bi-weekly or monthly thread on vegetarianism? Or the merits of Buddhist heaven and hell? Or on whether or not there is rebirth?

What I rarely see on here -- thank goodness -- are the kinda judgements about things like -- if you drink you will go to Buddhist hell.
  • vinlyn said:

In a sense, almost every post is a judgement. In fact, in a sense you just implied a judgement on those who sit in judgement. :D Is there any more judgmental thread, for example, than our bi-weekly or monthly thread on vegetarianism? Or the merits of Buddhist heaven and hell? Or on whether or not there is rebirth?

What I rarely see on here -- thank goodness -- are the kinda judgements about things like -- if you drink you will go to Buddhist hell.

Oookaaay. I guess I see what you're saying. :-/
    I didn't mean to imply judgement on anyone. Honest.
    That's why I said; " I look at it this way when it comes to drug or alcohol addiction.... "

Is everything OK, @vinlyn? You seem somewhat out of sorts these last few days....
    Everything is fine. I just think that sometimes people are seeing one side of an issue and deciding they're "right", and not even really seeing the other side of the issue.

And in this thread, for example, I've said that I think some people like to justify why they think drinking is okay even thought it's a precept, but then others go off on some other precept they personally feel different about (e.g., vegetarianism).

I don't drink. Ever. So you might think I'm all hot and bothered about drinking. But I'm not. Come to my house and you'll be offered beer, wine, or a mixed drink.

If there is one thing that ticks me off, it's this idea that the Precepts are just to train your mind. If you wanna train your mind, play chess. Or bridge. If you wanna be good, moral person, don't murder other people, don't steal from others, etc.
    Kundo
  • edited February 2013
    I would like to weigh in on this topic to point out that many things which are commonly viewed as beneficial in moderation, are toxic at some level or concentration: vitamins, oxygen, and even water come to mind among them.

My own perspective is that I fail to see how occasional, responsible consumption - in moderation - of a beer or glass of wine would negatively impact my moral character.

As I understand it, we are encouraged to question and test Buddhism against our own experience. In my experience, a blanket prohibition against alcohol consumption seems a bit excessive. This precept also seems to vary from one tradition to another as well, with some calling for complete abstinence, and others mindful moderation.
    MaryAnne
    There are a handful of things that most civil societies agree are not okay. Murder, stealing, purposely hurting another for gain, etc. But even while I can agree that even vegetarianism can be seen in a moral spotlight, I don't in any way see how abstaining from intoxicants is, as long as you are not putting others in harms way with your use of them. Perhaps that is why I have a harder time with that precept being grouped in with such important precepts such as stealing from or harming others.

I understand why the precept is there, of course. I'm not arguing that it should or should not be a precept. I just do not agree that abstaining from intoxicants indicates someone is a moral person. It just seems to me like that precept fits in better with precepts further down the line (such as not sleeping on a high bed, not wearing perfumes, not dancing in particular ways) that focus more on the individual developing clarity of mind and such, whereas to me morality is how we behave towards others and that falls much more in line with the other 4 precepts.
    Nwoso said:

I would like to weigh in on this topic to point out that many things which are commonly viewed as beneficial in moderation, are toxic at some level or concentration: vitamins, oxygen, and even water come to mind among them.

My own perspective is that I fail to see how occasional, responsible consumption - in moderation - of a beer or glass of wine would negatively impact my moral character.

As I understand it, we are encouraged to question and test Buddhism against our own experience. In my experience, a blanket prohibition against alcohol consumption seems a bit excessive. This precept also seems to vary from one tradition to another as well, with some calling for complete abstinence, and others mindful moderation.

And this is where it comes to you, as an individual, having to make a decision, but also being aware that others may not consider the best decision.
    edited February 2013
    karasti said:

There are a handful of things that most civil societies agree are not okay. Murder, stealing, purposely hurting another for gain, etc. But even while I can agree that even vegetarianism can be seen in a moral spotlight, I don't in any way see how abstaining from intoxicants is, as long as you are not putting others in harms way with your use of them. Perhaps that is why I have a harder time with that precept being grouped in with such important precepts such as stealing from or harming others.

I understand why the precept is there, of course. I'm not arguing that it should or should not be a precept. I just do not agree that abstaining from intoxicants indicates someone is a moral person. It just seems to me like that precept fits in better with precepts further down the line (such as not sleeping on a high bed, not wearing perfumes, not dancing in particular ways) that focus more on the individual developing clarity of mind and such, whereas to me morality is how we behave towards others and that falls much more in line with the other 4 precepts.

I think you're asking a very good question. It seems as if there is a big step in seriousness between 5 and 6, and it is generally accepted that for lay people the key precepts are 1-5. But here's where I take issue that 5 is any different than, for example 2. Do we accept that #2 really means don't steal too much, as some people want to say don't drink too much?

Have I ever seen someone eating a meal at 2 p.m. or sitting on a high seat harming others? No. But I have seen (and experienced) someone drinking and taking drugs harming others.

1...harming sentient beings.
    2...stealing.
    3...sexual misconduct.
    4...false speech.
    5...intoxicating drinks and drugs causing heedlessness.

6...taking untimely meals.
    ...dancing, singing, music and watching grotesque mime.
    ...use of garlands, perfumes and personal adornment.
    ...use of high seats.
    ...accepting gold or silver.

Again, everyone must make their own decision about this, just as I may define sentient differently than you do. What you decide doesn't -- in my view -- mean you are or are not a Buddhist. Of course, whether or not you break or keep the 10 Commandments doesn't decide whether or not you are a Christian. There's choice in all moral systems.

Kundo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

Dakini said:

I don't see why not having alcohol at a wedding means "replacing fun with fear". No music? No dancing? Well, maybe the fun was on a different level than you could perceive. Getting together in a large gathering with loved ones, catching up on news with those you rarely have the opportunity to see, definitely is fun. Gatherings of family and friends are fun, no alcohol or music needed. Experiencing the love and companionship.

I don't disagree with your insightful post. But I just wanted to say that I think some sects of religion actually see "fun" as a no-no. I might be wrong, but I think Jehovah's Witnesses are one of those that do not openly allow celebration. As I do not have a lot of experience with them or knowledge, maybe I'm misinterpreting this no-celebration thing.
    There are definitely two sides to that. My first post was an attempt at presenting an alternative and non-judgmental perspective to what the OP witnessed.

Characterizing joy, or enjoyment ("fun") as somehow the Devil's playground, or something, seems like an extreme. This is where the Middle Way comes in. Buddhism has its Puritanical aspects too, and it's easy for some people to get caught up in the fine details of the precepts. But Buddhism is, in part, about getting to joy, isn't it? Fun is ok, as long as it's not induced by mind-altering substances.

Personally, I would never attempt to take the vow against enjoying music. I think that's in the precepts because music back in the Buddha's time was viewed as more related to sensuality, dancing girls (who in some contexts were courtesans), and the like.

• MaryAnne said:

Well, yes, that's why we're talking about it, but my comment was geared more to those who seem to sit in judgement of others who do drink (or partake in other intoxicants) occasionally- and wondering aloud why anyone would 'need' to drink at all; or questions what this says about us/society, etc?

:wave: That's me! I wondered aloud, because the topic came up, so I took this as an opportunity to ask, and to try to understand the phenomenon. It's always struck me as an odd part of our culture, one I could never relate to. It's just never made sense. But your answer that it's pleasurable for some people takes care of it for me, thanks. Some people never acquire a taste for alcohol, and don't understand what all the fuss is about.
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    edited February 2013
    Dakini said:

Seph said:

Social lubricant.

I've never used alcohol this way, but I will say this -- we live in a culture (or at least the US does) where being an extroverted people person is considered the ideal. It is what is normal. Being introverted, quiet, and/or shy are considered traits that need to be fixed. There is really nothing wrong with being an introvert -- not everyone happens to have the same social needs, but there is a lot of pressure to conform to the ideal. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with people being unwelcoming or being walled off.
  • black_tea said:

I've never used alcohol this way, but I will say this -- we live in a culture (or at least the US does) where being an extroverted people person is considered the ideal. It is what is normal. Being introverted, quiet, and/or shy are considered traits that need to be fixed. There is really nothing wrong with being an introvert -- not everyone happens to have the same social needs, but there is a lot of pressure to conform to the ideal. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with people being unwelcoming or being walled off.

Hold that thought! So are you saying that taking a little alcohol helps turn people from introverts to extroverts? So they fit societal norms better, which may be almost a requirement in a purely social situation, like a party? (Just trying to clarify, thanks.)

I don't think you can compare "stealing a little" and "drinking a little" because in my case, having one glass of wine with a dinner while out with my husband does not cause me heedlessness/carelessness nor does it hurt me, my husband or anyone else. If I had several glasses of wine, got sick, fell on someone on the way out and made my husband have to take care of me for hours later, yes. If I drove home after a couple drinks, yes. If my children saw me carelessness in drinking too much, yes. But my having a 4 ounce glass of wine with dinner is not equivilant to a "lesser" version of stealing, such as taking a pen from work. Taking the pen still is immoral, because it affects someone other than myself, being the person who paid for that pen and now has to pay to replace it because I took it.

Because I read the precept as abstaining from intoxicants to the POINT of heedlessness, that is what I choose to follow. Am I making excuses? In my mind no. Clearly you or others might feel differently. But the only opinion outside of mine that gets any weight is my family and my teacher. Because my kids grew up with an alcoholic, neglectful father and are very sensitive to alcohol use in their lives, I'm very cautious with my use of it. That's where individual perception comes in. While plenty of people can have a beer or 2 at home while watching a game with their kids, I can't. Because I know that if I choose to drink in the presence of my kids, it'll cause them harm, I don't do it. Clearly drinking and driving is potentially harmful, so I don't do that. Drinking to the detriment of my mind and body isn't good, so I don't do that either. I don't think it makes me less moral.
    MaryAnne
  • karasti said:

Because I read the precept as abstaining from intoxicants to the POINT of heedlessness, that is what I choose to follow. Am I making excuses? In my mind no.

We had a whole thread, once, debating exactly this. Does the precept mean to not indulge at all, or does it mean to not indulge to the point of heedlessness? Opinions were sharply divided. Ultimately, it's about avoiding harm to self and others, so it's up for each individual to decide.

• Dakini said:

black_tea said:

Hold that thought! So are you saying that taking a little alcohol helps turn people from introverts to extroverts? So they fit societal norms better, which may be almost a requirement in a purely social situation, like a party? (Just trying to clarify, thanks.)

Alcohol can decrease inhabitions, make people 'loosen up' etc, so yeah -- it could make the party situation go more smoothly. There is pressure to go out and be social, and (speaking from experience) it's very unpleasant to have people push you into being what you just aren't. It's not that I dislike people in general, I just often prefer them in certain situations and smaller doses.
  • Dakini said:

black_tea said:

Alcohol certainly makes it easier for someone who's an introvert or socially anxious to engage in a social event, like a party. I used to not be able to go to parties at all unless I had 1 or 2 drinks, so I could have conversations and a good time without having a panic attack. Unfortunately for me (and my friends), it gradually turned into getting completely smashed and that actually caused panic attacks and severe episodes of depression for me, so I now don't drink at all. I should stress though, that I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, so for me to not drink isn't a big deal (so long as I accept my sober self as good enough). I solely drank to get through a social event.
  • black_tea said:

Alcohol can decrease inhabitions, make people 'loosen up' etc, so yeah -- it could make the party situation go more smoothly. There is pressure to go out and be social, and (speaking from experience) it's very unpleasant to have people push you into being what you just aren't. It's not that I dislike people in general, I just often prefer them in certain situations and smaller doses.

If you're under pressure to "go out and be social" in groups larger than you're comfortable with, maybe you need a different group of friends. I never experienced this kind of pressure, not in college, nor afterwards. No pressure to drink, either. My friends in college didn't drink, and most my friends in life following my university years were like that, too.

vinlynInvincible_summer
  • edited February 2013
    That was my new year's resolution this year- give up watching grotesque mime. Doing pretty good so far...
    Glad Mili Vanilli is no longer around :)
    NwosoKundo
  • As MaryAnne says, intoxicants are fun. I don't drink at parties because in that atmosphere I am more likely to miss the recognition of 'when to say when'. I can enjoy myself sans alcohol if there is a quiet area with seating so I can just sit back and people watch at a party. It's so apparent when you are sober that everybody is anxious and most of what they say and do is trying to get that good feeling that alcohol can provide ie like most human behaviour they are trying to reduce anxiety.

I do drink at home occasionally. For me beer is like chocolate bars. If I have it I will drink (some) beer. I quit for two years and now I have a good sensor for when I have had enough and in any case the maximum beer in my house is six and I can tolerate that alcohol level without a hang over. I usually have 3 and then I have 3 for the next day. I drink for two reasons. I love the glow of the first beer and I am a connoisseur (good word for the spelling bee). I used to brew beer and I know all about the styles and flavors. My tongue isn't that sensitive like a beer critic, but I know a lot about beer. I am not hurting myself with this behaviour and I am not hurting anyone else.

Invincible_summer
  • Jeffrey said:

It's so apparent when you are sober that everybody is anxious and most of what they say and do is trying to get that good feeling that alcohol can provide ie like most human behaviour they are trying to reduce anxiety.

I've never noticed anyone being anxious at a party. Why would people go if they make them feel anxious?

Sorry, the whole thing still isn't making sense to me. Oh well.

I sort of agree with you, Dakini, although sometimes you sorta have to go to a party. But your bigger point is well-taken.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Jeffrey - I'm the same way. Enjoying a glass of wine or beer for its taste as opposed to just slugging cheap booze back in order to lose inhibitions.
    Dakini said:

I've never noticed anyone being anxious at a party. Why would people go if they make them feel anxious?

Social pressure. Like you said above, people who feel pressure to go out should probably find a different group of friends, but I think for most people it's far from easy to just leave a group of friends.

@Dakini, sometimes you don't have much choice. I've had to go to many work banquets and parties for various reasons. Sometimes if you want to hang out with a friend you haven't seen in 5 years, it means meeting them at a place you might not like but will force yourself to like enough in order to spend time with the friend, and so on.

I'm extremely quiet and shy and yes, drinking when in a larger group definitely helps in that department. Why bother? I guess I'm not sure. Because it stinks to have people all around you talking and dancing and joking and having fun while you sit in the corner like a turd on a log because what comes naturally to so many of them, does not come naturally to you. While as I've gotten older I'm far more accepting of myself and my differences from others, that's a much harder pill to swallow when you are an insecure college student. I never had friends who pressured me. I pressured myself because I didn't want to be left behind and left out. I wanted to spend time with my close friends, but sometimes that meant going with them to places with larger crowds that I didn't like. But I *wanted* to like it because everyone else did and I just figured it was something I had to learn to like. Not all social situations come easy to everyone, and not everyone has the insight early in life to truly believe it doesn't matter.
    YaskanDakiniInvincible_summer