Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Start Where You Are : A Guide to Compassionate Living by Pema Chodron

Has anyone read this book and would you recommend it? Please share your thoughts.

Comments

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    (I am going to get back into reading some Buddhist books. The internet is great, but my scatty mind scatters all over the place too much when I am on the computer. A book is better for me. Looking at purchasing this book, I think it could be just the thing I am looking for at the moment, especially with regards to being in 'angry cat' mode at the moment!)
  • Haven't read this one, but do like Pema's work.
  • I've read it three times. It is about the lojong slogans for working with the mind. It basically reinforces the habit of treating each thought as just a thought and opening fully to any situation. So it reverses the habit of trying to get everything one treasures and expel anything that makes one anxious. The normal way is to get trapped because we cannot achieve having everything our way. So there are ways to turn 'stuck' 'toxic' thinking on their ear and reverse the flow.
    DandelionThailandTom
  • If you like that theme of lojong there is also Trungpa Rinpoche's book, Training the Mind.
  • I agree with you about books versus text on the internet. Maybe if I had an ipad or something....naw, I'm sure I would be just as distracted.

If you're looking for something to help with anger, you might try Thich Nhat Hanh's Peace is Every Step. I think I've become a living commercial for that book, but I swear it's changed my life and is such a simple, easy read.
    Dandelion
    Thank you all! Will check out Peace is Every Step, and Training the Mind, too :thumbup:
  • Sounds like a good book you have there @Dandelion, enjoy :)
  • It rings a bell so I may have read it some time ago. I've certainly read some of her books and would recommend them.

Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh is worth reading too.
  • SileSile Veteran
    One of my favorite books of all times. I remain eternally grateful for discovering this wonderful teacher, via this book. The lojong slogans help me immensely, and I love how Pema (and the slogans!) are able to sneak past my mind's tricks, in a gentle way, to get at the truth of things.
    Dandelion
    I think you have all convinced me :clap: