Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it ethical to give money to beggars?

graceleegracelee Veteran
edited March 2013 in Buddhism Today
Is giving money encouraging them to stay on the street?

Is giving them money increasing or decreasing the quality of there lives?

What is the general motivation for giving money? Is it to make them feel better or appease our own guilt?

If the individual doesn't get money through begging they may turn to crime? Or go and get a job?

difficult isn't it?????

I would love to hear your views!

Grace

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I have no issue with giving beggars money, providing two things.

First, that they are in some kind of situation where their likelihood of being able to earn money is tenuous. For example, in Bangkok you often see beggars who have amputated limbs or partially blind or are terribly crippled or have leprosy.

Second, that they will use the money for food or water or something constructive in their lives...not to go and buy beer or cigarettes. That's a bit tougher to judge.

Oh, and there is a third reason I've succumbed to on occasion -- thinking they'd mug me if I didn't give them some money.
    Wisdom23
  • The way I look at it, they don't need money. They need food, clothing, shelter, etc. They could get a job, theoretically, and be able to supply themselves with money to provide those items. Obviously something went wrong in that plan, and I don't think giving money is what's best for them.

Instead, keep some gift cards to an easily accessed food source (grocery store or fast food, whatever), or offer to buy them lunch, or take them somewhere to buy a coat. Of course, all those things take more work/planning.
    blu3reelittle_light
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Giving money to someone who is in an unfortunate circumstance seems like an act of kindness and compassion, does it not?
    Wisdom23MaryAnnenenkohai

The way I look at it, they don't need money. They need food, clothing, shelter, etc. They could get a job, theoretically, and be able to supply themselves with money to provide those items. Obviously something went wrong in that plan, and I don't think giving money is what's best for them.

Instead, keep some gift cards to an easily accessed food source (grocery store or fast food, whatever), or offer to buy them lunch, or take them somewhere to buy a coat. Of course, all those things take more work/planning.

I think are making a big assumption that all the people in the world who are begging can get a job.

Invincible_summer
    Glow said:

A Buddhist monk is technically a beggar. ;)

I don't see that at all. They provide a service, but are pain in a different manner than the average worker.

Gui said:

Giving without judgement is beneficial to all.

Please send me $10,000.

Invincible_summerzombiegirlBunks
  • We have a soup kitchen in Malaysia called Kechara Soup Kitchen where we feed the homeless, no matter what race, religion or gender. It was inspired by my Guru, HE Tsem Rinpoche, who was homeless himself as a teenager.

If people are begging on the streets, they usually are not doing it from choice, although there are some who are drug addicts or in some form of vice. As a rule, we do not usually distribute money to them because we do not know what they would do with it so we feed them instead. Usually if I am having a meal and someone comes and asks me for money, i will ask them to order food and eat instead and i will pay for the meal.

Even when we feed the needy, we sometimes get criticised for feeding people who can work etc, as mentioned by others above. Actually, feeding the homeless is just one of the things we do, we also help those who want jobs find jobs. Sometimes it's just that they need a break, so we look for companies who will hire them and we will also see who are willing to work. It is our goal to get the homeless off the streets through whatever means possible.
    BunksWisdom23MaryAnnelittle_light
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Glow said:

A Buddhist monk is technically a beggar. ;)

I don't see that at all. They provide a service, but are pain in a different manner than the average worker.
    It's a symbiotic relationship, but a begging bowl is still a begging bowl. Etymologically, "beg" comes from an Old English root word meaning "impoverished" and has no connotations of a one-way relationship. Begging is an act of humility and recognition of a monk's indebtedness to the lay community.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I agree with Gui in the sense that once you choose to give something, you have to let go of what they might use it for. Once you hand it to them, it is no longer yours and not up to you to judge what they use it for. If you are worried about it, don't give.

I don't think every single person is better off living how I do. I know people who currently live on the streets, or have in the past, and they did it by choice. They didn't want a permanent shelter or any of the other things the rest of us consider necessary. But a lot of those people also were not beggars, most of them were dumpster divers, hobos, gutter punks, etc.

You never know a single thing about a homeless person by looking at them. We make a million assumptions when we see them, but we never know if we are right or not. They might be a junkie or a drunk. But they might not. Maybe they have mental health issues and cannot hold a job and were lost in our system that fails so many. Maybe they lost everything in the recession and just started having to beg to feed their kids who are living in a car 2 blocks over. Maybe they were homeless because their parents were homeless. Maybe their home burned down. You just never know, and it's not up to you to judge. It's only up to you to decide to give them something, or not. Give them a subway giftcard if you worry about giving them cash.

I saw the story about the homeless man who returned an expensive engagement ring to the owner. The fiance' of the lady set up a web page which has collected around $150,000 for the man.
    How many of those people who donated to the site because the man did such an honorable thing? Yet would have walked by him with their heads down had they seen him on the corner?
    MaryAnneYaskanBunks
    sharonsaw said:

Usually if I am having a meal and someone comes and asks me for money, i will ask them to order food and eat instead and i will pay for the meal.

Yes, that is a good strategy. As I would take my kilometers walks around Bangkok, sometimes I would buy beggars a bottle of water or some street food. There were a few who angrily turned that down, making me believe they really wanted the money for Mekong Whiskey. But generally such efforts were greatly appreciated.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    May all beings be well, happy and peaceful. Look to your heart and your reasoning mind.
    MaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I try to leave this to my meditation.
    Sometimes I give money and other times I don't.
    My only policy is to try to look at each circumstance as unique for me, the beggar, the offering and the moment.
    To bring ethics into the equation is just trying to make one feel more comfortable with our actions. Lose the attempt at being comfortable or uncomfortable.

Just be as present as possible with that moment and see it all for the meditative opportunity that it can be.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • FireSongFireSong Explorer
    edited March 2013
    @Cinorjer, that was beautifully written.
    Loved what you wrote @Cinorjer.

As if we have the right to tell them what to do with their lives because they are so blessed to receive our assistance. Remember a big part of Buddhism is reducing attachment and expectations. That includes attachment and expectation of the outcome of generosity. It's no different than those who stand in line at the grocery store and judge every item someone uses their food stamps for. Worry more about yourself. Chances are you have plenty to fix in your own life without telling someone else how to properly live theirs.
    riverflowYaskanMaryAnneCitta
    Cinorjer said:

You say that it upsets you to think this dollar you give might be spent in ways you don't approve of? Why?

No. I have only so much money that I can give to charities and individuals. I don't want my money going to some drunk under a bridge so he can buy another bottle of malt liquor, when some child will go without food for several days.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I don't see anything unethical about giving money to beggars. Sometimes, depending on the particular person, I think it would be unethical to not give money to a beggar. I remember this one time, about 10 or so years ago, I was traveling in Germany. Won't ever forget it. It was freezing cold outside and there was this frail little old lady standing on the side of the street, shivering, with her hand out to accept money. Everyone just walked right by her. Everyone. You could tell she was too old to have a job and she certainly wasn't capable of robbing anyone. She must have been at least 80 something. Everyone walked right by her and didn't give her anything. I did the same... For a moment I considered giving her all the coins I had in my pocket, which would have been pretty good for her since they were 1 and 2 euro coins mostly. But, for some reason I just kept walking...That was a mistake! I regret not giving her anything. If I could do it over, I would have given her all the coins I had, which was probably like 15 euros or so. That probably would have made her very happy. It was unethical for me to just walk past her! That was so stupid! Now, sometimes I give some money to beggars, sometimes not. It depends on the individual person really.
    Bunks
  • My teacher looked like little more than a beggar.
    He never passed an opportunity to give to beggars. He insisted on paying all my expenses. Generosity is a state of mind and being.
    riverflowTheswingisyellow
  • vinlyn said:

I think are making a big assumption that all the people in the world who are begging can get a job.

I didn't say that they could get a job, but that they theoretically could (just as anyone 'theoretically can'), but for some reason that didn't happen. Some reasons may be that they have a mental disorder keeping them from getting or keeping a job, a drug habit that interferes, or maybe they just can't find work. Either way, providing the things someone needs rather than the money to provide for themselves (which, in a lot of cases could prove detrimental, depending on why they can't pay their own way - ie, drug habit, or mental disorder. It would be pointless to give someone money who is prone to breakdowns and cannot physically keep track of it, for example.) seems to help the person in need more. Besides - if they are in need, why give them money if what they really need is warm clothes, and they can't get to the store?
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Explain breath awareness to them. Sit with them and light their candle with your flame. Then check up on them occasionally. Maybe then they will realize this life is Very precious.

vinlyn said:

I didn't say that they could get a job, but that they theoretically could (just as anyone 'theoretically can'), but for some reason that didn't happen. Some reasons may be that they have a mental disorder keeping them from getting or keeping a job, a drug habit that interferes, or maybe they just can't find work. Either way, providing the things someone needs rather than the money to provide for themselves (which, in a lot of cases could prove detrimental, depending on why they can't pay their own way - ie, drug habit, or mental disorder. It would be pointless to give someone money who is prone to breakdowns and cannot physically keep track of it, for example.) seems to help the person in need more. Besides - if they are in need, why give them money if what they really need is warm clothes, and they can't get to the store?
    Amanda, I suggest you hop a plane and go to Thailand and walk through the huts in Klong Toey in Bangkok, or the dumps where people live in Manila...and then you'll understand -- after you see leprosy, AIDS, amputees, birth defects in a different type of society -- why millions in the world have no hope in getting a job.

Invincible_summer
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    FireSong said:

@Cinorjer, that was beautifully written.

I'll second that! I was trying to put those very ideas into words when I read Cinorjer's posting. I figured there was no way I could improve on that post.
    If you are giving a homeless person a buck or 2, are you really worried they aren't "Keeping track of money?"
    I think it's fine to ask someone what they need. If you wonder if you can help in another way, then ask. But it isn't up to anyone to decide what the person needs. Just because you feel they should have different clothes, doesn't mean you get to decide that for them.

In the US, 40% of homeless men are veterans. 40% of overall homeless people are mentally ill.
    Both of those are groups of people we routinely fail as far as getting them the help they need. Throwing all the mentally ill out on the street from the 50s to the 80s increased our homeless rates exponentially. There is little community housing for people who are unable to care for themselves. They have no means to get medications that enable them to function and have a chance at a job. It's a vicious circle, as are many social issues.
    MaryAnnestavros388
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Here in Chile we have a particular type of beggars, they have home, sometimes cars, and have more money that many people that give them coins. Begging is their job, and are very good in that, they put dirty dress and sometimes they are in a wheel chair, looking very depressing sometimes with their little child with them. But when the day come to the end they get up from they wheel chair, change here dress for clean ones and go to drink or the bank to keep safe all their money from that day. Definitely they are not homeless, poor or disabled.

What is the best for them? Give or not give them money?
  • vinlyn said:

Amanda, I suggest you hop a plane and go to Thailand and walk through the huts in Klong Toey in Bangkok, or the dumps where people live in Manila...and then you'll understand -- after you see leprosy, AIDS, amputees, birth defects in a different type of society -- why millions in the world have no hope in getting a job.

That's exactly what I was getting at... I'm not sure what you're missing about what I'm saying. They are people in a place where people can theoretically work (they aren't living in the woods in some communal situation, otherwise they probably wouldn't be homeless but would be taken care of by their community - people DO work around them in some fashion, and as they are also people, they had the 'opportunity' to work at SOME point and it did NOT work out). I'm saying that they live in a place where that could happen, but something (physical condition, illness, etc) is keeping them from being able to, or sustainably doing so. Again, not sure what isn't getting communicated here. Perhaps the meaning of theoretically? I mean that as in in theory, not practicality. In theory, people can work, but this person in particular wasn't able to.

I'm just saying I think it's better to actually give people what they need, and really, nobody needs money, just the things it can buy. If they need clothes or shelter, help them find that, if they need food, buy them a meal. Handing a person a dollar doesn't really communicate much, but asking them what they need and spending the time to help them get it is a much more personal act. You can give a million dollars to charity without ever touching someone's hand out of comfort, or wrapping a warm blanket around them when they're cold, and that human contact, that expression of 'I care,' is more important than money.

I would love to go to Thailand and spend time with the people there, if you're willing to purchase my ticket. That is out of my means. But, I've spent a good deal of time with the greatly impoverished, the people who aren't even well enough to be able to sit on the street and ask for money, in my own communities. I'm sorry you seem think if that's not as worthy or important as the level of suffering that you've witnessed (as I don't consider it a contest) and that makes my opinion inferior.
    Invincible_summer
  • robotrobot Veteran
    I've thought about this quite a bit. I've given when I probably shouldn't have and not given when I should have.
    Here is some interesting info

http://www.kashgar.com.au/articles/To-Give-or-Not-to-Give-When-Travelling-Abroad-the-Issue-of-Begging

Here in Chile we have a particular type of beggars, they have home, sometimes cars, and have more money that many people that give them coins. Begging is their job, and are very good in that, they put dirty dress and sometimes they are in a wheel chair, looking very depressing sometimes with their little child with them. But when the day come to the end they get up from they wheel chair, change here dress for clean ones and go to drink or the bank to keep safe all their money from that day. Definitely they are not homeless, poor or disabled.

This happens in Thailand, too. There was one such beggar on a particular foot bridge that I used often, and one day I actually saw him get into a sort of harness that made him look like a man with an amputated arm.

vinlyn said:

That's exactly what I was getting at... I'm not sure what you're missing about what I'm saying. They are people in a place where people can theoretically work (they aren't living in the woods in some communal situation, otherwise they probably wouldn't be homeless but would be taken care of by their community - people DO work around them in some fashion, and as they are also people, they had the 'opportunity' to work at SOME point and it did NOT work out). I'm saying that they live in a place where that could happen, but something (physical condition, illness, etc) is keeping them from being able to, or sustainably doing so. Again, not sure what isn't getting communicated here. Perhaps the meaning of theoretically? I mean that as in in theory, not practicality. In theory, people can work, but this person in particular wasn't able to.

I'm just saying I think it's better to actually give people what they need, and really, nobody needs money, just the things it can buy. If they need clothes or shelter, help them find that, if they need food, buy them a meal. Handing a person a dollar doesn't really communicate much, but asking them what they need and spending the time to help them get it is a much more personal act. You can give a million dollars to charity without ever touching someone's hand out of comfort, or wrapping a warm blanket around them when they're cold, and that human contact, that expression of 'I care,' is more important than money.

I would love to go to Thailand and spend time with the people there, if you're willing to purchase my ticket. That is out of my means. But, I've spent a good deal of time with the greatly impoverished, the people who aren't even well enough to be able to sit on the street and ask for money, in my own communities. I'm sorry you seem think if that's not as worthy or important as the level of suffering that you've witnessed (as I don't consider it a contest) and that makes my opinion inferior.
    Okay, I'm beginning to see your point more clearly. Thank you for refining it.

:)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I usually don't give money to homeless people. I typically see one at an intersection I pass by all the time. I see more when out walking around. I kind of have little rules now.

Sometimes I give when I'm on the street, when I get a certain vibe from them. Like an earnest vibe.
    I never give when they start off with an obvious lie, which they often do, "My car just broke down..." is the most common one. It loses effect when you see the same dude saying it on different days.
    Some homeless people scare the crap out of me and I honestly don't want to spend any more time with them, let alone whip out my wallet in front of them. It depends on where I'm at, who's around me... a lot of things. The last time my girlfriend gave a cigarette to some guy on a corner, he became really weird and demanding and started screaming obscenities. I had never been happier for the light to change in my life.
    I always give when they're singing/playing music, good or bad, because I enjoy that. Just the other day I gave money to a woman as she was setting up before I even heard her play.

I'm not heartless, I've given nearly twenty bucks before because this woman's story really got to me. I just think I probably encounter this more than most people (but of course, still less than some). I certainly encounter it more than I did 5 or 10 years ago, living in much different neighborhoods.

But @Cinorjer raises some interesting points. Perhaps I'll try giving money to every homeless person I see for the next few weeks and see how it goes. Another thing I've always thought I should do is carry granola bars on me. It seems a better gift...
    Bunks
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    When I lived on the streets any gift be it money or food was welcomed. I remeber waking up and finding a cheeseburger in a wrap next to my head and it made me really happy. I guess I'm lucky that I'm streetwise enough to be able to spot the difference between an addict and someone that is down on their luck. The former I'll tend to buy a sandwich and a bottle of juice or something. The latter I'll give a few pounds too.
    ZeroCinorjer
  • ZeroZero Veteran

When I lived on the streets...

May I ask what drove you to no longer live on the streets?

I ask as it may be an avenue that others can catalyse as you did.
  • I usually don't give money to homeless people. I typically see one at an intersection I pass by all the time. I see more when out walking around. I kind of have little rules now.

Sometimes I give when I'm on the street, when I get a certain vibe from them. Like an earnest vibe.
    I never give when they start off with an obvious lie, which they often do, "My car just broke down..." is the most common one. It loses effect when you see the same dude saying it on different days.
    Some homeless people scare the crap out of me and I honestly don't want to spend any more time with them, let alone whip out my wallet in front of them. It depends on where I'm at, who's around me... a lot of things. The last time my girlfriend gave a cigarette to some guy on a corner, he became really weird and demanding and started screaming obscenities. I had never been happier for the light to change in my life.
    I always give when they're singing/playing music, good or bad, because I enjoy that. Just the other day I gave money to a woman as she was setting up before I even heard her play.

I'm not heartless, I've given nearly twenty bucks before because this woman's story really got to me. I just think I probably encounter this more than most people (but of course, still less than some). I certainly encounter it more than I did 5 or 10 years ago, living in much different neighborhoods.

But @Cinorjer raises some interesting points. Perhaps I'll try giving money to every homeless person I see for the next few weeks and see how it goes. Another thing I've always thought I should do is carry granola bars on me. It seems a better gift...

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.
    edited March 2013
    @Zero,

I ended up on the streets through a combination of drug abuse and mental illness, I was lucky enough to get a spot in a shelter after leaving London to head back to the north of England and then was moved to a halfway house for people with long term mental health problems. I moved from there to independent living after about three years.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @Lonely_Traveller - Is there anything an average member of the public could have done during any part of that transition that would have assisted you?

I see that random gifts were welcome. Is it possible to elaborate further so perhaps people who don't and have never lived on the streets may gain a insight into the issues typically faced and how they may be overcome; also how assistance from a generally uninvolved community may be best employed?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    gracelee said:

What is the general motivation for giving money? Is it to make them feel better or appease our own guilt?

It's very tricky. I used to give money regularly to a guy who begged but it became obvious he was spending it on alchohol, so I stopped.
    @Zero,

Its a long and complicated issue - everybody's story amongst the homeless community is different, though there are a lot of coincidental factors. I'll have a good think about it and get back to you.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I appreciate it - thank you.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    One of the most insightful and interesting threads I have read on this site.....thanks to all who have contributed!
  • I loved that scene too MaryAnne. Makes me think of my ex gf giving a bum a pack of cigarettes. I guess it's liberation from purity?
    MaryAnneriverflow
    I was trying to figure out a way to say what you did, MaryAnne. Who are we to say what someone else should or shouldn't need? In St Paul, MN they have dry houses where people who are alcoholics and do not want to stop drinking, or gave up trying, can just live out their lives doing what they want to do and receive support for it. When I first read it, it turned me off, but after thinking about it, it made a lot more sense. It might not be for me, but who am I to judge? I have my own addictions. Is someone who sits in their room drinking for days or more at a time really that much worse off than the days I spend on here/FB/internet/games? It's all perception. It's somehow more acceptable for me to spend as much time on internet as I sometimes do than it is for an alcoholic to spend that time drinking. Neither is terribly good for a person.
    SabbyMaryAnne
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I would give my money to a local shelter or organization before I gave it to someone on the street, always temper compassion with wisdom.
    Invincible_summer
  • Now there's a thought
  • If you can't give help without judgement, then it's no help at all -- it's ego & control.
    karastiDaftChris
  • How wonderful to learn that so many here have achieved the wisdom of omniscience which permits them to know who deserves help and who does not. As a mere simpleton, I have no such insight. All I can see is a fellow human beings in need who is asking for my help. I am beset by the words so long ago that I saw them naked and clothed them, saw them suffering and comforted them.

I give what I can, be it money (when I have some) and (always) recognition, learning the person's name and spending time recognising them as my sister or brother. The only hope is that, should I, too, ever be in their worn=down shoes, someone would do the same for me.

We are urged to give alms to monks and nuns of the sangha. The homeless and destitute, caught in the maelstrom of poverty caused by money itself, are our fellow human beings in the greater sangha of all sentient beings.
    MaryAnneCinorjer
    Simon, when I lived in Bangkok I walked 2-8 miles most days around the city in various neighborhoods. I would say that it was not uncommon in a day's walk to encounter at least 30 beggars, sometimes many more, depending on where I was walking. So I'd guess that in a year I probably encountered 11,000 beggars. Now it's nice that you are a millionaire (or are you a billionaire like Bill Gates?) who can indiscriminately hand out enough money to satisfy the needs of 11,000 people. I'm not that rich. I have to make decisions about where my funds will do the most good. I'm sorry that I am such an evil person.
    Invincible_summer
This discussion has been closed.