Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you a Mason?

I like the freemasons. I used to make use of their research facilities and always found them friendly to the uninitiated, women and their fellow ritualists. I did once see about joining the heretical non conformist women included set but the basic premise is having to believe in a deity (relaxed a little in some quarters), buy aprons and talk and stand cryptically. Somehow not my mystery system . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-Freemasonry
They are a magical wisdom system, similar to the esotercism of vajrayana. Are you one or a Templar? Are they compatible with Buddhism?
EnriqueSpain

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    I was a Rosicrucian once, many years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Mystical_Order_Rosae_Crucis

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I can't be a Mason, have to believe in some version of a creator god. One of my best friends is one though and I thought about it in the past before I found out the requirements.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    From what I know...they encourage other religions, but
    you better believe in a big guy running it all.. At
    least here in the south...no athiests allowed. Also, the
    groups are still segregated here. Very much. Even the
    come together conventions and how money goes up
    and across.
    The 'hook-ups' are applied according to
    that. So much for brotherhood. :grumble:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2013
    lobster said:

I like the freemasons. I used to make use of their research facilities and always found them friendly to the uninitiated, women and their fellow ritualists. I did once see about joining the heretical non conformist women included set but the basic premise is having to believe in a deity (relaxed a little in some quarters), buy aprons and talk and stand cryptically. Somehow not my mystery system . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-Freemasonry
    They are a magical wisdom system, similar to the esotercism of vajrayana. Are you one or a Templar? Are they compatible with Buddhism?

Actually, I read that the Freemasons evolved out of tantra. There may be a connection with Vajrayana. The Rosicrucians, too. They say that the Rose-cross is the Western equivalent of the lotus and vajra.

The Freemasons in my town are going out of business and selling their building. Membership has declined sharply.

What research facilities are those, OP? "Friendly to women"? If they're so friendly, why not include women as members?

edited March 2013
    I was going to get into that, but I already know, they
    justify the 'boys only' club by providing one for
    the wifee's. The difference is what goes on.
    BIG difference. Boys will usually be boys, if no
    girls are around, hahaha.
    Dakini
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Very mysterious.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The foundation of the Masons can be traced back to King Solomon.
    Masons were once upon a time more revered than Princes - they were responsible for architecture, protection, and status. Thus it was that the society of Masons was formed, to provide a secure Association of Highly-skilled craftsmen originally designed to protect the jobs and reputations of those who had the status of Mason.
    The 'architects' of today's societies are therefore sought after and recruited.
    Many people of high repute are Masons.

Please note, it's a society with secrets. Not as many suppose, a secret society.

My ex-H., my FiL and my husband are all members of the Masonic society.
  • edited March 2013
    Not a Mason, but I do live in a development that was once limited to those who belonged to the Masons. It's called "Cinosam Club". (read it backwards)
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • I just found out very recently, by complete happenstance, (looking him up on Facebook- LOL) that my landlord, whom I have known and rented from for more than 22 years (!!) is a Freemason...

And not just your average run of the mill Freemason.... Oh no, I believe his title is Grand Master Poobah or something along those lines. At most only 2 people down from the top/highest position in their hierarchy! I was completely shocked -- but only because he seems so ultimately 'average' and bland in just about every way imaginable.
    Goes to show, you simply can't know very much about any person just by their appearance or manner alone, unless they want you to know!

edited March 2013
    Must be a location thing. The guys here are a mixed
    bag of 'high society'....and a frat house.
    I know at least 4 guys around me are one...
    and well....I don't know about 'high repute', hahaha
    Alot of them get away with stuff, illegal and otherwise,
    because they 'know' someone in a high/right position.
    It's become a hook-up system here.

From what the history books say...I do believe they
    were the cream of the crop back in the
    day....but now...if you can pay the money and stomach
    initiation....you are in like flin!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I know absolutely nothing about these guys. However, I used to buy The Big Issue off a lady in Melbourne who claimed they were harassing her. She said she had undertaken hypnosis and recalled a childhood memory of seeing a murder they carried out and now they knew that she knew so were making her life miserable.

I got to know her quite well and realised that she suffered from severe paranoia.

I remember talking to.her one day and she.stopped.and said "See that young girl there? She's watching me". This girl had a green bag which apparently was a sign she was a freemason!
  • Dakini said:

What research facilities are those, OP?

I used the library at the Grand Central Lodge in Covent Garden for alchemical research.
    http://www.ugle.org.uk/library-and-museum/
    If they're so friendly, why not include women as members?
    For the same reason you can not be a monk but are welcome to be a nun.
    . . . Declining numbers may force them to accept women in the 'official' orders but somehow that option may escape them . . .

I would suggest offshoots of the Masons such as the 'Golden Dawn' made use of tantra.
    Most Masonic rites are based on Hermetic, Christian, Judaic and Islamic ideas and principles. The Masons because alternative ideas are now less threatening, are far more open.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    My family moved to this area in 1965. I'd just turned 9 yrs old. This town is a typical suburban style town, very spread out, but with 4-5 well traveled main roads which have become multi-lane highways over the last 30 years.
    For as far back as I remember, there, on one of the highways, directly across the street from our one, large hospital, sat a somewhat unimpressive, square, brick building, only two stories high, with large sign that read "Masonic Lodge" in gold letters. Right there, for all to see, not hidden or 'mysterious' in any way.

In the 48 yrs of living here, never once was there even the slightest hint or suggestion of scandal concerning that Masonic lodge - or any member of it.
    Not once. That is really, really unusual. (don't you think?)

Now, either they manage to keep anything illegal, questionable, or embarrassing completely covered up through members in the police department, (and I highly doubt that) or they thoroughly investigate potential members and simply do not tolerate shady characters joining the lodge.

I do know that over the decades the Masons, at least in this lodge, have evolved into more of a "businessman's brotherhood", than anything else.
    My landlord always has "a friend" who is a carpenter, or owns a flooring store, or owns a hardware store, or is a mechanic, or a real estate broker, a lawyer, an electrician, etc. Always.

edited March 2013
    ^^^^ Please know, I was only speaking for my direct area...it
    was not a general statement.
    It is not a secret here. They are loud and proud.
    Don't get me wrong...murder and hiding bodies is not going on,
    and most of the incidents I know of would probably be
    looked at as petty crime.
    Emblems are placed on your car.....caught speeding
    over 30 miles an hour over the limit? Thats normally a
    trip to the pokey, but...if you have that golden thing
    on your car....just a ticket. And don't worry, when the judge
    sees your little drawing on the ticket....dismissed!
    The emblems are also placed on store fronts and
    signs.
    I definetly feel like here, it needs to be cleaned up
    a little...the frat house behavior, anyway. Also, the
    segregation. Their moral code and standards are set
    high, so it's a tall order, but an order they signed up
    for, nonetheless. The characters might not be shady
    here...but the money, gifts, and parties sure are.
    edited March 2013
    My edit time ran out, hahahaha.

I do want to say for the record, some of
    my best community outreach programs
    and feeding homeless families have involved
    them, and when I needed numbers, and food
    donated...they were there.
  • @vastminds

Oh don't worry... I didn't mean for my comments to be aimed at yours, specifically. :)
    I was just chattin' about what I know of them here. I'm sure, like any organization anywhere, there are some local chapters better than others.
    I'm sure there are some lodges of high standards and community involvement, and others well, not so much. Just like any other group....

Vastmind