Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist holidays/festivals

It recently occurred to me (as we prepare for Easter) that I should be interested in traditional Buddhist holy days and festivals. However, when I did a search, I became a little overwhelmed and confused because it seems that the observances are really varied and not on the same days of the year, depending on what country/culture you come from. As someone who is not following a particular line of Buddhism (yet?) I am not sure what to do. I'd really like to incorporate some tradition into my life, especially observances related to celebrating the Buddha and Dharma, but I feel like, if I just pick something and then eventually down the road I am start to follow a specific line, I might have a tradition that is not relevant to what I'm following. Oh, the confusion of being a newbie Westerner! Has anyone already worked this problem out and/or have any advice?

Comments

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @chela that is a good question! I look forward to replies, also!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I agree, it's really confusing! Largely because various countries use different calendars, and the holidays are more like Christian Easter, they don't fall on the same day at all. The only one that is celebrated as a Sangha that I can remember (in our group I mean) is Losar, which is the Tibetan New Year. We celebrated it on Feb 12th but I think technically it was Feb 11th. Or maybe it went from the 11th to the 13th, I can't remember now. We had a good meal together and did a different meditation that reminded me some about New Years Resolutions but had more to do specifically with Buddhism and goals for practice for the year. That's the only one I can think of that we've celebrated, though I know our teacher has mentioned other holidays.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    This page may help.

I think if you're not quite set in any particular tradition, you could just observe the ones that are meaningful to you. Or maybe just the "big one" (Vesak).
    chela
  • chela said:

It recently occurred to me (as we prepare for Easter) that I should be interested in traditional Buddhist holy days and festivals. However, when I did a search, I became a little overwhelmed and confused because it seems that the observances are really varied and not on the same days of the year, depending on what country/culture you come from. As someone who is not following a particular line of Buddhism (yet?) I am not sure what to do. I'd really like to incorporate some tradition into my life, especially observances related to celebrating the Buddha and Dharma, but I feel like, if I just pick something and then eventually down the road I am start to follow a specific line, I might have a tradition that is not relevant to what I'm following. Oh, the confusion of being a newbie Westerner! Has anyone already worked this problem out and/or have any advice?

Never mind all the confusion. Just go with the crowd in your country. You'd be glad to know that here, besides the Western calendar, we also have the lunar calendar to contend with.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I do Vesak, and I love it! The kids still come and make paper
    lanterns and paper chains, and I leave them hanging around
    the house for weeks. We either go out to eat for a big dinner
    or I make one at home, and we just go over all the basics,
    reminders, etc. I do up craft kits for the kids...Buddha coloring
    pages, flip books....just a real day of thinking, thanking, and
    acting for Buddha and what it represents and teaches.
    In May...yes...but the day may be off by a few
    depending on when everyone is off from work and school.
    chelariverflow
  • chelachela Veteran
    @Vastminds- wow, thank you for the great ideas! As a parent of a little one, I really appreciate this because it gives me a chance to bring in some undercover learning opportunities. :cool:

I found out today that my non-sectarian Sangha does celebrate Vesak, so this will be something to look forward to in the near future.