Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Excess

Does anyone have any guidance for meditation for someone dealing exessiveness? In my personal inventory recently I have come to grips with the underlying cause of many problems in my life, selfishness, covetousness, rage, clinging. During this investigation, when I lose mindfulness and lose the present moment I often find myself in "overly excessive" situations (six months sober recovering alcoholic), over eating, talking too much, over training, constantly lost in thought. I have been aware for quite awhile that I was hurting people and have recently tryed to start each day new, winding down most days with lots of hope, but past the "warm fuzzy" feeling I got after my first series of epiphanies. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to keep in mind in an effort to keep my self "in line" (intentions, actions, speech). I feel that I could go on for days about what I am looking for but find that if I try to get to specific that I often miss out on things I could have learned.

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Does anyone have any guidance for meditation for someone dealing exessiveness? In my personal inventory recently I have come to grips with the underlying cause of many problems in my life, selfishness, covetousness, rage, clinging. During this investigation, when I lose mindfulness and lose the present moment I often find myself in "overly excessive" situations (six months sober recovering alcoholic), over eating, talking too much, over training, constantly lost in thought...

It sounds like you know (at least part of) what you need to do already.

I don't know if there's a specific meditation to do for "excessiveness," but I do know that - in my experience - a regular meditation practice helps with becoming more comfortable with the uncomfortable emotions that arise. With enough practice, you can even catch the emotions just as they start to come up (off the cushion), preventing anything from really happening.

But it takes practice.
    hopingforchangeJeffreyriverflowLucy_Begood
  • I am already starting to catch them, sometimes it just gets to be overwhelming. I am doing alot better, the last several months I have been focusing on reaching out in an effort to help others and "ignore" myself. It seems to be more so that I catch it and then intentionally "punish" myself by continuing to act unskillfully. It is more so something that I am interested in discussing, than something I need dire help with. This is kind of an effort in communicating for me in a positive way with like minded people. In an effort to keep what I have learned and am learning in multiple facets of my life.
  • Don't ignore yourself just don't spoil yourself. When emotions come up view them as rising and ceasing then when the wave has rolled over respond.
    hopingforchangeInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • chelachela Veteran
    I think practicing the Eight Fold Path will help. But it means lots of practicing.

I wonder if @Tosh would have more insight and practical advice here?
    hopingforchangeInvincible_summer
  • Touch in with your heart, what you wish for. If your actions are running contrary to with the way you want to live and your values then at least you will see where you are getting caught. So I recommend being clear on what you value and what you are about.
  • It seems to be more so that I catch it and then intentionally "punish" myself by continuing to act unskillfully.

It is good to assess yourself and note where you feel improvement is needed. This is an excellent start for anyone and everyone. But there is no need to punish yourself or chide yourself. I say this, yet there are times I catch myself doing the same thing. Observe what you think are shortcomings, drop them and begin again. Self-punishment (in any form) only stirs things up and you can get stuck on what you've done instead of simply progressing forward.

What is true in meditation is true in everyday life: When meditating, and the mind wanders about, it does no good to force yourself to concentrate, thinking 'Stop it! You should be meditating, not chasing thoughts!' Well, that's just another thought, isn't it? Instead, note that you are thinking, drop it, then return to the breath. Likewise, when you feel you have fallen short in one of your goals, make a note of that shortcoming, drop it, and return to walking the path. You'll get there with more surety that way than by scolding yourself.

That meditation and everyday life both work well in the same way is not a coincidence!
    chelaLucy_Begood
  • One simple technique applicable to all our efforts is pausing and operating at half normal speed. Surprisingly if you move and act at a slower speed it is easier to be aware when excess or other tendencies arise and you get more done as you become efficient rather than appearing fast. By pausing before indulging, the longer the better, the very intention is very often overtaken by the monkey mind moving on . . . :)
    riverflowJeffreyToshLucy_Begood
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, I think mindfulness is key to the Eight Fold Path, anyway. It's mindfulness in all crevices of your being. Anywhere you see "Right" (Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Concentration, etc), just replace it with "Mindful". If you're mindful across the board, then you're practicing all of the path. Mindfulness in your daily life is simply meditation in action. Focus on the present, slow your thoughts down, be aware and observe, and let there be space between thought and action/reaction (whether it is further thought, speech, or some other type of reaction). The space is where the "right" happens-- where you are able to appropriately address the thought without being in "survival instinct" or "habit" mode.

Edited: I just read lobster's post and realized that my post is a sort of echo.
    Lucy_Begood