Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you like to live alone in nature?

I don't really know what this Sutta means but 'wilderness', sounds so much like nature. Do you have your own special reason to like nature as it is- pretty, unpolluted and unspoilt - and be able to live alone in it; or do you prefer to live in a group, with people of different type, some are good and others not ; and who are out just to give you a bad hair day?

Andhakavinda Sutta: Let the Wilderness Serve!
translated from the Pali by
Andrew Olendzki
© 2005–2013

At one time the Buddha was residing in Magadha, near [a place called] Andhakavinda. At that time the Buddha was seated under the open sky, in the deep darkness of the night, and the rain-god was making it rain, drop by drop. Then the Brahma Sahampati, as the night was passing away, lighting up Andhakavinda with his surpassing brilliance, approached the Buddha and stood to one side. As he stood to one side, the Brahma Sahampati offered up these verses in the presence of the Buddha:
Let the wilderness serve for your seat and bed! From fear; and in the fearless, released. In places where frightening serpents abide, Lightning clashes and the rain-god thunders, In the blinding darkness of the deepest night, There he sits — the monk who's vanquished his dread. Let the wilderness serve for your seat and bed! Go about set free from the ties that bind. But if, perchance, you don't find there your bliss, then Live in a group — but watch over yourself: Mindful, proceeding for alms from house to house, Mindful, with guarded faculties — and wise.

Comments

• chelachela Veteran
    I'm not an expert, but the last part of the verse seems to say that you need to beware of people. When I think about that idea, it seems obvious when looking at societies, that there is a tendency of some people to manipulate circumstances in order to gain power over others, taking advantage of some group(s) to get the bulk of the labor done and to keep them very powerless. That is the big picture I see, but of course there are lots of other ways that people can be harmful to other individuals.

I love being in nature. If I did not have children to raise (and a husband, which is almost like another child, LOL), I would seek the Thai Forest Tradition and run off into the woods to meditate and be with nature. Actually, we have the Forest Way in the US and I have in the back of my mind that I will someday (when my toddler is off to college) that I will go deep into the forest in Virginia.

In the meantime, we have camping supplies and hope to inspire a love of nature in our youngest child.
  • If I wasn't so conditioned and spoilt by the affluent conditions and had the knowhow and ability to 'go Thoreau,' I absolutely would. I love nature and soak up as much of it as I am able and I've always had a natural disposition to solitude (one of the few friends I've ever had told me once that I was a 'recluse').

I've gotten better over the years, but I usually have to cajole myself quite a bit just to be around large crowds of people. And then I have to have time alone to re-charge afterwards because I find people (especially crowds) very draining.

'I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society.' ~Henry David Thoreau

All that being said, it isn't just out of personal bias that I think solitude is something that should be cultivated. There is a time for solitude and a time for being with others (the amounts may vary depending on the disposition of the individuals in question). There are things to be gained from both, as well as things to be aware of as potential pitfalls as well.
    Invincible_summerNwosoYaskan
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013
    No.... I dont like to live alone in nature.
    I like being in nature for a few hours. I am a human being. I am defined by my relationship to other human beings.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, @footiam, for that wonderful snippet by Brahma Sahampati:

Let the wilderness serve for your seat and bed!
    From fear; and in the fearless, released. In places
    where frightening serpents abide, Lightning clashes
    and the rain-god thunders, In the blinding darkness
    of the deepest night, There he sits — the monk who's
    vanquished his dread. Let the wilderness serve for
    your seat and bed! Go about set free from the ties that bind.
    But if, perchance, you don't find there your bliss
    then Live in a group — but watch over yourself: Mindful,
    proceeding for alms from house to house, Mindful, with guarded faculties — and wise.

To me it speaks volumes about the importance of not getting too attached to our things. Getting out into the wilderness alone for as long a stretch as we can either muster or manage is a wonderful way to stay intuned to the eternal spirit, I think. But even going off on vacations where you can find some alone time is a good opportunity to put your everyday life in greater perspective and maybe make a few decisions to change things when you get back home.

I don't think it boils down to preferences, though; it's all about one's bliss, one's following where that leads her or him. You may become a forest dweller for good, as is done quite often among the "elderly" in India, or you can remain a city dweller. There's certainly a lot of isolation and exposure to dangers such as @Nwoso mentioned dwelling in the forest, "no longer being at the top of the food chain," so to speak. But city life is also fraught with dangers. Sahampati didn't even begin to address the multitude of dangers that can beset the householder's life; he spoke only to the monk and for him to go door to door begging food. The life of the householder is not likely to be one of bliss, what with the vicissitudes of fortune brought on by insurance, banks, governments, changing makeups of neighborhoods people have made home in, &c, &c. That is, the life of the householder is not likely to be one of bliss, unless there is resolution to that effect: And a measure of good fortune won't do that resolution a bit of harm.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I might be too attached to wilderness, really, lol. I can't tell you how much I love it. Enough to live as close to it as I can. I would love to have a minimalist house, fully self-sustaining, much less reliant on money than I am now, to survive. I love it. I always have. I grew up in the woods, and I moved back as soon as I could. We live in a very small town, in a normal house, but we live on the edge of a federally protected wilderness (BWCA in Minnesota) and I wouldn't live anywhere else even if it meant a quadrupled income.

It is very much home to me. I have been spending time in nature since I was first born. My dad has told me forever "I don't need to find God in church. I find God in everything I see, touch and smell." It it was drew me to Paganism when I left Christianity. Then I realized Buddhism worked as well, and in other ways, better.

I don't do well without consistent interaction with nature. Winters can get long, especially this year because my knee injury has not allowed me to snowshoe and ski like I am used to. But I live within walking distance of very remote and secluded wilderness, and I love it. I am happy where I am, but I admit to hoping that when I am done raising my children, that I can retreat further into a less developed area (and some people consider where I live to be really remote as it is) and be fully self-sustaining. It is one thing I am majorly attached to.
    riverflowInvincible_summerlobster
  • chela said:

I'm not an expert, but the last part of the verse seems to say that you need to beware of people. When I think about that idea, it seems obvious when looking at societies, that there is a tendency of some people to manipulate circumstances in order to gain power over others, taking advantage of some group(s) to get the bulk of the labor done and to keep them very powerless. That is the big picture I see, but of course there are lots of other ways that people can be harmful to other individuals.

I love being in nature. If I did not have children to raise (and a husband, which is almost like another child, LOL), I would seek the Thai Forest Tradition and run off into the woods to meditate and be with nature. Actually, we have the Forest Way in the US and I have in the back of my mind that I will someday (when my toddler is off to college) that I will go deep into the forest in Virginia.

In the meantime, we have camping supplies and hope to inspire a love of nature in our youngest child.

Now that you mention it and reading the sutta again, I gather we can either live alone or live in a group as we choose. When living in a group, be mindful. It is sometimes not about the bad things that others do; it is also about the goodness there is that we must appreciate. The bad, we either avoid or amend.
  • riverflow said:

If I wasn't so conditioned and spoilt by the affluent conditions and had the knowhow and ability to 'go Thoreau,' I absolutely would. I love nature and soak up as much of it as I am able and I've always had a natural disposition to solitude (one of the few friends I've ever had told me once that I was a 'recluse').

I've gotten better over the years, but I usually have to cajole myself quite a bit just to be around large crowds of people. And then I have to have time alone to re-charge afterwards because I find people (especially crowds) very draining.

'I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society.' ~Henry David Thoreau

All that being said, it isn't just out of personal bias that I think solitude is something that should be cultivated. There is a time for solitude and a time for being with others (the amounts may vary depending on the disposition of the individuals in question). There are things to be gained from both, as well as things to be aware of as potential pitfalls as well.

" Let the wilderness serve for your seat and bed! Go about set free from the ties that bind.

Live in a group — but watch over yourself: Mindful, proceeding for alms from house to house, Mindful, with guarded faculties — and wise."

I suppose you are right. There is a time for solitude and a time for others.
    Here, in this forum, we have a time for each other!
  • Yes, nature is where I feel most at ease. Whatever may be bothering me, spending some time in, say, the woods or by the ocean, makes it much better. I am blessed to have such a relationship with that huge reserve of healing energy. It doesn't even have to be real wilderness-- a city park, a street with decent vegetation or an uncrowded waterfront do wonders for my mindset. Meditation comes by itself with very little effort required on my part, whereas at home it takes some serious discipline to practice.

One particularly curious thing is that while I'm "in the world", more often then not I suffer from varying degrees of feeling inadequate, lacking something, needing to achieve something. In nature that feeling of incompleteness usually vanishes. Which makes me wonder if that neurosis of believing oneself to be not good enough is induced by society in order to make its members serve its purposes. (I actually posted a while ago about becoming aware of how profoundly even the slightest cues coming from the environment alter my sense of self.)

Now mind you, I've never had to actually survive in nature, that is, do things such as picking edible plants, trapping animals and building a shelter. I suspect having to do that would change my outlook to a less idealistic one. As it is, though, I am a city boy who uses nature as a stress reliever.
  • Nwoso said:

I spent several summers working in remote locations in Alaska, and hike and backpack in the area near my home in the Pacific Northwest US regularly.

For me, the solitude of being outside in nature offers insight and contemplation into the interconnection of all living beings. More recently, it has been tempered with the perspective of what I have learned thus far. I used to seek out solitude quite a bit, now I tend to enjoy sharing my outdoors experiences with others.

Nature also teaches me humility. In some places I have traveled alone before, the solitude it provides is a reminder that we, as a species aren't always at the top of the food chain. When you are sharing the landscape with bears and packs of wolves, it's a bit humbling. When one is outside in the elements during a storm or inhospitable weather removed from the comforts of our day to day lives, it similarly gives one perspective on our powerlessness over nature (and by extension, many other events too).

Finally, a consequence that I wasn't expecting was developing an appreciation of being part of a community. I initially sought out solitude in part to 'get away' from civilization. It taught me a genuine appreciation for sharing life with other people, and also appreciating many things we take for granted. :)

I suppose when being part of a community, i.e' when living in a group' —as the sutta goes, we have to ' but watch over ourselves: Mindful Mindful, with guarded faculties — and wise. Forget the alms!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

My longer kayak trips off northern BC sometimes seem to pare down ones civilized decorative airs to just deciding the next wisest step to take. Be mindful or be hurt.

or as wilderness retreat..

Take tent/sleeping bag/ food for a week and a zafu. Nothing but you, sitting, eating, shitting interspaced with a meditative walk around the tent. It can match any meditative Monastic session.
    I know other Buddhists who do this regularly. (weather dependant).

Anyway, my minimalist (slightly corny) zen take on your sutta ending is

In wilderness or Sangha, set free all ties that bind.
    watching sense gates all, protecting body & mind.

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • I often do yes, it depends though. There is alone in nature as in, ohh I'm lost in the Amazon without a map and I'm alone, and there there's a nice pleasant walk in the woods or sat on a hilltop. But yea, I do love nature and if the weather is not horrid then it is nice to be at one with it. I know this is a reference to a drug, but it when I first took LSD I was outside and at one point me and my friend were on a hilltop at sunrise, I have never felt so connected to my surroundings and how all things arise and cease with all their beauty. That was acid yea, and I am sure decent practitioners can get such insights and more.
  • I love nature. It is a great teacher.

I love nature. Harmony and balance. It is a great teacher.

I have always liked to go camping and fishing. Use to be a very social experience with friends and family. Lately I have taken to going solo. I treat these trips as retreats.
    As any retreat they can be challenging, but they are also very helpful.
    Yes, I like living alone in nature. Of course, when there is no separation you are not really alone.

Here are some nature meditations -

River
    Consider a pure, clean, river - the sun sparkling on its surface, its waters winding gently along the earth. The waters of the river flow on and on nourishing, watering, giving life to all.

Close your eyes and imagine yourself as a river flowing. Feel your inner being as liquid, flowing freely. Enjoy the gentle sensation of flowing. You're always moving, attached to nothing.

Sit like this for some time and then imagine that in the distance you can feel the presence of the ocean-vast, deep, and infinite. You can feel the ocean drawing you nearer, calling you towards it. Imagine yourself as a river flowing into the sea - imagine your river-ness merging into the sea - your small waters blending and becoming one with the vast waters of the ocean.

Sky
    Consider the sky - vast and infinite; a dome with no support. It's always there above us filled with the sun and blue and clouds in the day, filled with the moon and the stars at night.

Close your eyes and imagine yourself as a vast daytime sky. Imagine your spacious, infinite blue body. Wind moves through you, clouds pass, birds fly in you. You hold everything but nothing holds you. You are free - expansive and vast.

Imagine now that you're the nighttime sky; cool, blue-black, stretching in every direction. Your infinite body is filled with shimmering stars.

Tree
    Consider the miracle of a tree. From a tiny seed, a sprout erupts and grows until it becomes an exquisite tree; a source of fruit, a source of beauty and shade and shelter. The tree is strong and flexible at the same time.

With your eyes closed, imagine yourself as a beautiful living tree. Feel your roots extending deep into the rich and fertile soil of the earth. Imagine your roots drawing healing waters and nutrients up into your trunk. Breathe and feel your life-force flowing upward through your trunk into your branches. Imagine your branches reaching upwards and outwards in all directions, your leaves reaching outward for the light of the sun. As you meditate, breathe and imagine your breath coming in and out through millions of tiny tender leaves.

Mountain
    Consider the mountain - broad, gigantic, majestic; rising up to the heavens, catching the first light of the morning on its peak.

Close your eyes and imagine that you are a mountain. You are giant, solid, immovable. Imagine your power extending before you, behind you; imagine your power extending outwards on all sides. Take time to feel the steadiness in your peak, on your surface. Imagine plumbing the depths of your steadiness - going deep inside the body of the mountain. Meditate as a mountain of steadiness and power.

Earth
    Now consider the earth; massive, the supporter, the fertile mother of all.

Close your eyes and imagine that you are the earth. Feel your solidity, your slowly turning mass. Deep in your core there is fire - a sea of molten lava. On your surface, you are teeming with life. Infinite plants and animals derive their life from you. You hold the mountains, rivers, and forests in your arms. The oceans are your living garments.

Meditate as the earth - the giver, the holder of life.
    riverflowrivercaneInvincible_summerperson
  • I love being alone in nature. I also suffer from social anxiety, and this can make it very difficult for me to enjoy being outside in nature when there are other people around - city parks, crowded hiking trails and campgrounds, etc.

What I crave the most, and what relaxes me like nothing else, is being completely alone in nature. Alone to the point where I know that absolutely no other human being is around and luckily, I have found a few spots.

I've even started meditating outdoors recently, which is something I had never tried before. I placed my back against a tree, focused on my breath just like at home and was able to achieve a pretty deep state of relaxation. Only know, I could hear the sounds of animals, smell the fragrance of flowers and listen to the wind blow. It felt amazing.

And when I opened my eyes (sometimes I will keep my eyes half open during meditation), there were trees and wild fern growing everywhere. It seemed so much more, well, natural. Much better then meditating in a cluttered room.

I believe there is a German word for the feeling of being alone in the woods, one of the many German words that are hard to translate to another language but explain so much, like the word zeitgeist. I don't know if the word is positive or not, though because I've also been alone in the woods and lost and it can be a very scary feeling.
    ThailandTom
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @rivercane - I believe the word you're looking for is Waldeinsamkeit.

Wald = forest
    Einsamkeit = einsam which means "alone" and keit which denotes a sort of state of being. So "aloneness" or "loneliness" are often translations in English.

So since einsamkeit sort of has different connotations depending on how you look at it ("alone ness" could be like solitude, while "loneliness" could be negative), it's got a good depth of meaning, IMO.

But I'm not a native German speaker, so I could be interpreting it much more than normal.
    riverflow
  • edited April 2013
    I try to get "in it" as much as possible and have lots of opportunities close to me (including 80 acres of woods out my back door), but have found the answer is to find "it" wherever I may be- LAX or BWCAW.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Yuttadhammo just posted this on his facebook:

I havn't watched it yet though.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

@rivercane - I believe the word you're looking for is Waldeinsamkeit.

Wald = forest
    Einsamkeit = einsam which means "alone" and keit which denotes a sort of state of being. So "aloneness" or "loneliness" are often translations in English.

So since einsamkeit sort of has different connotations depending on how you look at it ("alone ness" could be like solitude, while "loneliness" could be negative), it's got a good depth of meaning, IMO.

But I'm not a native German speaker, so I could be interpreting it much more than normal.

From my rusty German: try "the state of being alone in the forest" for English literal. I am not a native German speaker but took German literature courses and language courses, 6 semesters worth.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Straight_Man: Yeah thanks for summarizing it for me. I got caught up in breaking down the word that I forgot to piece it together again! :p

Yeah I studied German in uni for about the same amount of time and tried to keep it up over the years. It's nearly impossible for me to remember all the grammar rules, but I can still hold my own in a casual conversation so long as the other person doesn't mind me mixing up genders and cases... :lol:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Ok, back to topic, though you are quite welcome for the summary which is my forte.

As a younger person I used to love running through the woods alone when we went camping and sit and think under trees or in our tree fort. These days, live in an area of the US where the nearest wilds are miles away and are typically swampy.

And Florida is HOT this time of year. Summer is coming fast.

So, I sit in A/C'd house and try to get tired enough to sleep. I thought I was tired an hour ago, but then got to meditating/contemplating alternately and wanted to finish thinking before bed also.

I do live in an area where the ducks swim in the canal out back, some fish and an occasional lost Manatee swims in the boat canal behind the house, some fish swim and jump, and rabbits inhabit our yard and some snakes also do, and little lizards and chameleons inhabit our screens and sometimes inside house. When there are no storms, place is kinda peaceful a lot of the time except in Winter season.

Yes, still like nature even if allergic to most allergy meds and also pollen and mold and dust.

Question for those of you who spend extensive time in the wilderness: do you know outdoor survival skills of some sort? If so, how did you learn them?

One big thing that puts me off from venturing into the backcountry for a week is the fact that I wouldn't know how to do anything but put up my tent... if that.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Survival skills are common sense, prioritizing ones actions in accord to the potential dangers, having backup plans for these actions because everything changes, study well the area your entering, be prepared to be self sufficient and remaining mindful of where you are at all times.
    You can go out with some one is already experienced or
    there are countless books on survival skills/weather watching/food storage/basic first aid/ wildlife signs/ effective tarping /fire starting/ picking the better tent sites and each trip is an opportunity to validate their worth.
    You can also start with trips that don't immediately put you in extreme territory or isolation while you are developing your skill sets.

Mec in Vancouver is a good place to check out where the staff would love to show you what they have. Everything they have is also well tested in field conditions by their evangelical staff.
    Invincible_summer
    @Invincible_summer I spend significant time alone (and with family) outdoors. Survival skills are just common sense when you spend a lot of time in the wilderness. It's "in my genes" so to speak so I'm not sure I can really answer your question. I grew up camping and such and it's just as much a part of what I know as grocery shopping is. I learned by doing, I guess. My dad, my grandpa, and my great grandparents before that, it was just how they lived. My dad had a standard job in a computer center at a large mine, but times he was laid off, he supported the family by fishing and trapping and hunting. So for me, it was how I grew up. I am more comfortable taking care of myself in the woods than I am in today's world. If it were feasible I would be totally happy living like Grizzly Adams, lol.

There are quite a lot of places that can show you how to do such things. From basic camping skills to advanced long term various climate survival. Here, our local Dept of Natural Resources offers free classes to teach people how to camp, how to fish, how to read maps and compasses, and so on. From there, you can go on to more advanced things.

My kids have picked it up naturally as well, and my 16 year old routinely will take the kayak and a pack and go camping for a few days alone. He sleeps in a hammock and catches/forages for his food. I go usually for several days myself in the summer the same way, and spend a lot of time just meditating. Heavenly. I highly recommend it. But start off making sure you are comfortable with the basics. Make sure you know not just how to put up shelter, but how to do it in low light, how to deal if you forgot/lost something, and so on. It's like learning anything else. Repetition and practice, and learn from your mistakes. So start easy and don't put yourself in a situation where you might get in trouble from the get go. You won't enjoy it if you suffer too much in the beginning. Know what resources are available in your area and how to use them. If you do that, you don't even need a tent. Sleeping under the stars is the best way to go.
    Invincible_summer
  • I've taken Red Cross 1st aid classes, read books on survival skills and have learned from my experiences.
    Invincible_summer
  • Citta said:

No.... I dont like to live alone in nature.
    I like being in nature for a few hours. I am a human being. I am defined by my relationship to other human beings.

I think it is good to live in a group with other people. That would give you a chance to do good things to other people. How else could you earn your merits?
  • chela said:

I love being in nature. If I did not have children to raise (and a husband, which is almost like another child, LOL), I would seek the Thai Forest Tradition and run off into the woods to meditate and be with nature.

This.

Although I don't have children, I do have pets and a partner that I hold dear to my heart. I would love to become a nun and become part of the Thai Forest Tradition. So many beautiful people from that tradition have inspired me so much. Maybe my next life.... :)
    I feel badly for people for who are so far removed from nature. You can live really close to it or even within it without completely abandoning your family. But it's pretty challenging if it is not what you are used to living. You have to do more for yourself, the city is not there to do it for you. For example you have to plow your own road, handle your own recycling and garbage and so on. Of course there are areas you can live with both benefits, but those areas tend to be really expensive and in high demand. The benefits are outstanding (for me anyhow) and I wouldn't have it any other way. We live just outside of a town that has a population of about 3500 people. We're an hour from the nearest Target or McDonald's. We live on the edge of a wilderness area and we can put our kayak in the water just down the road from our house and have access within minutes to a million acres of unsettled protected wilderness. No motors, no roads, no building, restrictions for airplanes, no power cables. Complete silence, except for the sounds of nature.

I was pondering the other day how few people these days even know what actual silence is, and what total darkness is at night. It's tremendous and everyone should be able to experience it. I see people running around like rats in a maze in large cities and wonder what they would even do if they were put in the middle of an area where there are no lights and no sounds of people around them. It just seems like such a sad way to live. I rather like that I can pack a bag, drive 10 miles and then hike into the woods and get lost from civilization for days or weeks if I want to. I often go on a weekend trip completely alone a few times a year just for that purpose. I wish everyone could do it, because it's incredibly healing and wonderful.

Though, like anything else, it has pros and cons. For us, the pros win, hands down. But our groceries cost twice as much, we have no public transportation at all, you basically need 4 wheel drive to get around, and some years, like this year, winter lasts 7 months. It was 65F yesterday for the first time since October. It's not for everyone, lol.
    Jeffrey
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

One particularly curious thing is that while I'm "in the world", more often then not I suffer from varying degrees of feeling inadequate, lacking something, needing to achieve something. In nature that feeling of incompleteness usually vanishes. Which makes me wonder if that neurosis of believing oneself to be not good enough is induced by society in order to make its members serve its purposes. (I actually posted a while ago about becoming aware of how profoundly even the slightest cues coming from the environment alter my sense of self.)

Now mind you, I've never had to actually survive in nature, that is, do things such as picking edible plants, trapping animals and building a shelter. I suspect having to do that would change my outlook to a less idealistic one. As it is, though, I am a city boy who uses nature as a stress reliever.

Could that feeling of inadequateness stem from comparing oneself with others, I wonder. While living in a group, one has to' — but watch over yourself and be Mindful', it should not be that this mindfulness cause our feeling of inadequateness but our feeling of being one and together in this world.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    karasti said:

I might be too attached to wilderness, really, lol. I can't tell you how much I love it. Enough to live as close to it as I can. I would love to have a minimalist house, fully self-sustaining, much less reliant on money than I am now, to survive. I love it. I always have. I grew up in the woods, and I moved back as soon as I could. We live in a very small town, in a normal house, but we live on the edge of a federally protected wilderness (BWCA in Minnesota) and I wouldn't live anywhere else even if it meant a quadrupled income.

It is very much home to me. I have been spending time in nature since I was first born. My dad has told me forever "I don't need to find God in church. I find God in everything I see, touch and smell." It it was drew me to Paganism when I left Christianity. Then I realized Buddhism worked as well, and in other ways, better.

I don't do well without consistent interaction with nature. Winters can get long, especially this year because my knee injury has not allowed me to snowshoe and ski like I am used to. But I live within walking distance of very remote and secluded wilderness, and I love it. I am happy where I am, but I admit to hoping that when I am done raising my children, that I can retreat further into a less developed area (and some people consider where I live to be really remote as it is) and be fully self-sustaining. It is one thing I am majorly attached to.

Blessed indeed are you! Not everybody could count their blessing!
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

I love nature. It is a great teacher.

I love nature. Harmony and balance. It is a great teacher.

I have always liked to go camping and fishing. Use to be a very social experience with friends and family. Lately I have taken to going solo. I treat these trips as retreats.
    As any retreat they can be challenging, but they are also very helpful.
    Yes, I like living alone in nature. Of course, when there is no separation you are not really alone.

Meditate as the earth - the giver, the holder of life.

Even in the city, even if it lacks harmony and balance, you'll learn.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    The city too is nature. Just as a wasps nest is nature. Or a coral reef is nature. The city is a result of nature working through sentient beings. Nothing can be unnatural.

' All Duality is falsely imagined ' Lankavatara Sutra.
  • I love nature, but it can be damm dangerous...love the deafening roar of silence when backcountry snowboarding by myself. However there is also the wilderness/wildness of the city and love the multifacited jewels and symphony of sounds while merely being silent in the city.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    rivercane said:

I love being alone in nature. I also suffer from social anxiety, and this can make it very difficult for me to enjoy being outside in nature when there are other people around - city parks, crowded hiking trails and campgrounds, etc.

What I crave the most, and what relaxes me like nothing else, is being completely alone in nature. Alone to the point where I know that absolutely no other human being is around and luckily, I have found a few spots.

I've even started meditating outdoors recently, which is something I had never tried before. I placed my back against a tree, focused on my breath just like at home and was able to achieve a pretty deep state of relaxation. Only know, I could hear the sounds of animals, smell the fragrance of flowers and listen to the wind blow. It felt amazing.

And when I opened my eyes (sometimes I will keep my eyes half open during meditation), there were trees and wild fern growing everywhere. It seemed so much more, well, natural. Much better then meditating in a cluttered room.

I believe there is a German word for the feeling of being alone in the woods, one of the many German words that are hard to translate to another language but explain so much, like the word zeitgeist. I don't know if the word is positive or not, though because I've also been alone in the woods and lost and it can be a very scary feeling.

We can't live alone in nature all our life, I think but in a society full of people, we can be very alone and it is nature. We can live with that if only we let go.
  • I've taken Red Cross 1st aid classes, read books on survival skills and have learned from my experiences.

When I read, I just know the theory. I am not so sure if I pass the practical.