Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monastery Visit

I'm a beginer with Buddhsm and I am very interested in the Theravada path and following on from the old saying about one hour with a good teacher being better than 1000 days of diligent study I'm looking to find a good teacher.

The only link locally for me is a monastery about 70 miles away. They welcome visitors but I'm not sure what to expect, how to behave (salutations and such), and just what to ask. They might, hopefully, be able to point me to somebody more local to my home but I don't want to offend anybody before I start.
riverflow

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I've only been to a few Buddhist centres, never a monastery, but I guess they're similar in many ways. Hopefully they'll have a drop in meditation class; that's normally a good way to start. The ones I've been to were all very friendly, just remember to take your shoes off before entering a meditation hall/room.

That's about it really. I know it feels scary, but it's not really.
  • I just got back from a monastery which was largely Vietnamese - by all means, go, but without any expectations and don't worry about potential faux pas. Just observe and you'll be sure to catch on-- and you won't regret it!
  • @FairyFeller

If you decide to take the ride, Please do let us know how it went. Some of us will probably never have that chance ourselves-
    Details! Details!
    :clap:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @MaryAnne -- I can't get the personal-message thingie to work but thought this might be of some associative interest.
  • MaryAnne said:

@FairyFeller

If you decide to take the ride, Please do let us know how it went. Some of us will probably never have that chance ourselves-
    Details! Details!
    :clap:

I'm having lunch with them on Saturday, I've never felt so humble but yet so excited at the same time.
    MaryAnne
  • genkaku said:

@MaryAnne -- I can't get the personal-message thingie to work but thought this might be of some associative interest.

That's odd, I just now today saw the post above.... hmmm....

Anyway, I read the blog re; monasteries. I liked it. As a matter of fact, I'm going back there now to read some more in your archives. :)

• blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Keep an open mind.