Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

holy sites on (google) earth

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Hello and welcome, Sukha....

.....What a shame....nothing happens for me.... I may try at the weekend, on a different PC.....
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Very interesting.

You'd think that a holy city would have been built up around some of these places.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    Welcome to our site and thank you for sharing this. Can I use one of those pictures from the Four Elements as my new avatar? I loved them all.

Namaste,
    Kim
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Pretty cool pics. Cool to think about historical stuff, too. I've got another idea: go to google maps. Put in your own address. Guess what--that site is AS holy as any of the ones shown from India, Nepal, and Tibet combined.

Peace,
  • edited August 2006
    I also welcome you and thank you for sharing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Tried again, and got it this time..... Lovely to connect with the places themselves, and as BF said,surprising that these four locations are not more populated....
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Sukha--after reading my post just now, I realized how crumudgenly it sounded. I apologize--I didn't meant for it to sound as such. While posting is mostly a wonderful means of communication, often it cannot provide cues for how it might be read. I'm not one for emoticons, either, so...Welcome to the group and I, as do all the members, welcome your contributions to any of our ongoing discussions.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Actually those places are more populated than they might appear from 100 miles up. I've never been to any of them, but people who have been, say, to Lumbini, say that there is a rather nasty village located there, and on special days the place is teeming with people.

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    darn it...nothing happens for me on my computer!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Actually those places are more populated than they might appear from 100 miles up. I've never been to any of them, but people who have been, say, to Lumbini, say that there is a rather nasty village located there, and on special days the place is teeming with people.

Palzang

Nasty in what way, Palzang? (I'm just curious.)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Well, it's just a dirt poor place with poor sanitation, tourist rip-offs, lots of crime, etc. Not the place you'd care to spend the night! There are, however, monasteries nearer the site that house pilgrims that are much nicer. At least this is what I've been told. The parts of India I saw weren't so bad.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, that sounds like a place to avoid, or at least know about when you go there. Thanks for the quick response, Palzang!
  • edited September 2006
    Don't mean to bust anyone's bubble, but I'm fairly certain those places are just as holy as anywhere else on earth.
  • edited September 2006
    good point, KP!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    As one interested in "Earth Mysteries" , I agree that every speck of dust is sacred. I also am of the opinion that some places are more 'power-filled' than others.