Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thoughts on bill roaches comments about 'paedophiles victims' are caused because of PAST LIVES??

Uk soap actor Bill Roache said in an interview that people who are abused etc etc bring it on themselves because of what they did in past lives etc etc...

What are your thoughts on this please?
Tosh

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    For Brits of a certain age it will bring back memories of Glenn Hoddle's equally crude and unwise remarks about people with physical handicaps..which in part led to his losing the England football manager role.
    From a Buddhist perspective the Buddha said plainly that it was unskillful to assume that any particular circumstance was the result of karma-vipaka. He said that there were determinants other than karma.
    riverflowToshMaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    My understanding of Buddha's teachings say: whatever we experience in the present, those are the combined result of our past karma and our present karma.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    It is unwise to make these remarks its inevitable people will take them badly if they don't have an understanding of Samsara and the effects of karma.
    Invincible_summerblu3ree
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited March 2013
    So are you saying it is unwise to say it but you think its true then??
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013

My understanding of Buddha's teachings say: whatever we experience in the present, those are the combined result of our past karma and our present karma.

This is one of the main differences between Buddha Dharma and Hindu Dharma, Jaina Dharma, etc.
    The Buddha said that there are five Niyama or causative principles that lead to our present circumstances. Karma-Niyama is only one of those factors. Others include biological and psychological factors that are separate from Karma-Vipaka. Remember INTENTION is a necessary prerequisite of karma-vipaka and that many biological and indeed many psychological processes, are not subject to intention.
    He also said that to speculate which of the Niyamas is operative in any given situation, was unskillful and would lead to more confusion.

riverflowToshkarastiInvincible_summer
    Citta said:

This is one of the main differences between Buddha Dharma and Hindu Dharma, Jaina Dharma, etc.
    The Buddha said that there are five Niyama or causative principles that lead to our present circumstances. Karma-Niyama is only one of those factors. Others include biological and psychological factors that are separate from Karma-Vipaka. Remember INTENTION is a necessary prerequisite of karma-vipaka and that many biological and indeed many psychological processes, are not subject to intention.
    He also said that to speculate which of the Niyamas is operative in any given situation, was unskillful and would lead to more confusion.

My understanding of Buddha's teachings say: to add, karma does not include only actions but also the field in which the actions took place, it also includes the body and the senses, which are themselves product of past karma and are the field in which present karma takes place, so even the mind and its mental states are in a way a product of past karma and are the field in which present karma takes place.
  • My only comment is to not slam Bill Roache too much. This "eye for an eye" view of karma is common among Buddhists, including some very popular Masters. I heard an otherwise very wise Roshi tell his audience in response to a question that if you are shot in this life, it's because you shot someone in a past life.

It's also terribly wrong. If you are molested, it's the intentional action of the molester at work, his or her karma, not the past life karma of the poor victim causing this. I've always considered this the danger of believing in past life karma and the reason we need to actively argue against that particular teaching. It is used to excuse people's actions in this life and defend injustice, all by using the excuse "well, that was caused by something you did in your past life".
    MaryAnnezombiegirlInvincible_summerDaftChris
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013

Citta said:

My understanding of Buddha's teachings say: to add, karma does not include only actions but also the field in which the actions took place, it also includes the body and the senses, which are themselves product of past karma and are the field in which present karma takes place, so even the mind and its mental states are in a way a product of past karma and are the field in which present karma takes place.
    So I suggest that you acquaint yourself with the Buddhist teaching of the Five Niyamas. There is plenty of material online.
    Put simply the Five Causal features are;
    Uti-Niyama which are the laws of the insensiate material world...
    Bija -Niyama which are the laws of biology..
    Kamma Niyama which is the kaw of kamma and kamma vipaka ( action and its friuts )
    Dhamma Niyama which is the law of the way that things arise, including D.O. and
    Citta Niyama which roughly equates to the world of psychology.

As will be seen kamma/karma is just one causative factor.
    ToshInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Try this:
    www.buddhism.about.com >...>Basic Buddhist Teachings > Existence
    Or simply google Five Niyamas. Buddhism About.
    riverflow
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    zenmyste said:

All our experiences are results of past actions.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013
    caz said:

zenmyste said:

All our experiences are results of past actions.

Not according to the Buddha. See above, the Niyamas. The Buddha went out of his way on more than one occasion to distance himself from precisely that view.
    In the Culakammavibhanga Sutta the Buddha says that to ascribe any particular situation to the workings of kamma/karma is to fall into the trap of speculating about the Imponderables ( Acinteyya ), He makes it plain that not all situations result from past actions. In fact the discussion that follows in that Sutta makes it clear that his Dharma is far more subtle and nuanced than that of the prevailing Vedantic and Upanishadic views.
    Rather than a simple one-to one relationship of cause and effect ,he states that volition leads to tendencies, not to clear cut consequences.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • I call B*llshit on that.
    If that's the case, then why do they have laws and punishments in lands where Buddhism and other religions that believe in "everything is happening because of Karma and past lives" ? It's manifest destiny.... why punish?

So we're to believe that every molestation or rape victim was a molester or rapist in another life?
    Hmmm.... so what does that make the molester or rapist here with us now? A goody two shoes, or the Pope in a past life?? (Ok, pope was probably not a good example! ;) ) But you see what I mean, right?

Why the cycle of negativity and suffering?
    Suffering comes in all forms, great and small, and all these forms are caused by our own cravings, desires and attachments - and we have a way out of that all, in THIS life, don't we? So is Karma set in stone?
    And what about victimized children who had no chance (yet) to right their wrongs from another life?
    Cinorjermfranzdorf
  • It sounds like the usual glib celebrity interview soundbite.

I've never thought karma is a very helpful way to explain one's life experiences. It encourages a kind of Cosmic League Table mentality - "you have only one leg so you must have been a war criminal etc.".

The fact is we are ALL in samsara, we ALL have suffering, so we ALL must have bad karma of some sort. But it's pointless to speculate on how that ripens day to day. Of course we all like to believe "what goes around, comes around" but in the here and now it's more important to to let go of the concepts of blame and punishment altogether.
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Old Bill is a delightfully odd soul anyway. I believe he is or was a Druid.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    O ya! like opportunity and a pedophile's proclivities plus a victim's beauty have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Some people just gotta take all their charms and karmas and other trinkets and throw them away. Predator X can pounce on any prey he likes and suddenly it becomes the prey's fault for being there and being so derned appetizing? That's taking the bones of a metaphysic and putting too much [rotten] flesh on them.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's possible it *could* be true, but not in every case, and as @Citta said, we don't know so it's not something we should claim to know or understand.
    I forgot who said this but I wanted to ask about it:
    If you are molested, it's the intentional action of the molester at work, his or her karma, not the past life karma of the poor victim causing this.

If it is possible for the molester's karma to cause him to cause such suffering to others, why is it not possible for another individuals karma to cause suffering for themselves? I'm not saying it has to be, I'm just curious why you think it works one way but not another.

I'll never claim to understand how karma works, how it is calculated and how it is at play in anyone's lives. All we can do is live the best we can right now to bring about both immediate good karma and hopefully future good karma and merit. And maybe cleanse some bad karma in the process.

I do think that just because you might accept that some people could be in poor circumstances due to past karma, does not mean there should be no societal consequences for it. We still hold those who are mentally ill and actually not in the known about right and wrong, responsible in some way for their crimes. There is no reason we wouldn't do it now. Even if we know 100% it was karma at work, doesn't mean consequences in this life aren't part of the karma.
  • What are your thoughts on this please?
    The opinions of soap stars are not worth listening too, when competent, mindful and wise teachers are available (probably not in 'Hello' magazine).
    Do you feel it has any validity?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Roache
    He has apologised for being ignorant (probably caused by a previous life experience . . .) ;)
    personBunksChe
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Citta said:

Old Bill is a delightfully odd soul anyway. I believe he is or was a Druid.

Which is probably where he gets his view of Karma from. Some Druid orders draw heavily upon eastern mysticism in general and often have Hindu influences. Hinduism* being a vast and disparate subject is rarely well understood unless you have been at it from an early age. The superficial view of the law of karma very much appealed to the Victorians who were more at home with a judgemental and moralising tone than a deeper understanding might have uncovered. Not all Druid orders view the karmic principle in this way, some don't believe in it at all but if you ask three Druids you will get nine opinions.

*I know Hinduism is a British portmanteau term for lots of Indian religious sects, paths and groups but it is rather handy to use.
    edited March 2013
    well, i think the way i view as how the law of karma works, seems to be different from what is said above. i have not gone through the URL which is listed above - so cannot comment on that. let me take the example of a girl getting raped, as is chosen in above examples - in this case, as per my understanding of law of karma - it is not the case that in previous life that person may have raped some girl, so in this lifetime that person got a girl's birth and got raped (this can be a possibility) BUT there is another possibility for it - as far as i think, it goes to the level of experiencing of pain and pleasure - so that girl in previous lifetimes may have committed too many (though small) acts which could have inflicted pain on other sentient beings, so adding up all those small pains, what total pain comes out to be, it is possible that in this lifetime, when that girl was raped, then she suffered a large part of the total pain and only a small part of the pain is left for her to suffer more - or - may be after this large suffering also, still some large amount of pain is left from past lives, which needs to be covered in future. It does not mean she would not have done good acts in the past, but those may have already been rewarded to her in past or may be will be rewarded to her in future.

now i do not know - whether doing a good act which creates pleasure, balances out the pain, or not. It can happen that whatever bad was done, same amount of pain needs to be suffered and whatever good was done, same amount of pleasure needs to be received - without any balancing out happening. But may be balancing out does happen - so doing good may balance out the bad and leave net good or net bad, as the amounts of these may be.

My view - complex is the working of law of karma and i do not know all the details of it - but i believe law of karma holds. No act of goodness ever goes without being rewarded, no act of badness ever goes without being punished - but when the fruit of karma will ripen and what quantity will come in fruit, this is only decided by the law of karma. So i believe that whatever we experience in the present, those are the combined result of our past karma and our present karma.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Well thank you for sharing your views about Karma misemisc1.
    They differ from the Buddhas teaching, But I suspect that may not be of concern to you.
    I don't think worrying about past lives (or future lives) is worth the time. Sometimes I ponder it, but it doesn't concern me. Living as well as possible in the present is really all that matters. We cannot control (nor understand) our past lives, and our present actions play a part in future lives. That's why the present moment is the only one that matters. No matter what bad things happen to us, wondering if it is a result of being punished doesn't do much to help us overcome and move on.
  • Having thought about it, Bill Roache surely knows what it's like to repeat an endless cycle of existence - he's been endlessly recycling his role on Corrie for over 50 years.
    Invincible_summerlobsterTosh
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    lobster said:

The opinions of soap stars are not worth listening too, when competent, mindful and wise teachers are available (probably not in 'Hello' magazine).
    Do you feel it has any validity?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Roache
    He has apologised for being ignorant (probably caused by a previous life experience . . .) ;)

I disagree in the sense that the opinion of soap stars are not worth listening to any more than are your opinions or my opinions. Hate to tell you Lobster, you are no better -- or worse -- than them.

And, when you talk about "wise teachers", someone above pointed out that some well-known and respected teachers do teach that view of karma.

karasti said:

I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's possible it *could* be true, but not in every case...

This is what was popping up in my head as I was reading the thread. Always? Sometimes? Never?

I was also thinking...ah, the rubber hits the road. The concept of karma applied to a situation that makes us squirm.
    I had the same type of thoughts, @vinlyn. I do frequently. I thought about it a lot when the Newtown shooting occurred. It's easy to want to apply karma to the "bad guy" because we want to see justice. But trying to apply it to someone we see as a victim of a bad guy becomes much harder. But I don't think you can say it applies to one, and not the other. Like I said, it doesn't mean everyone who has something horrible happen to them "earned" it via previous life bad karma. But it's possible some of them do. How is it much different than so many people who wish for a pedophile to get anally raped while in prison, declaring "karma is a bitch!" We just don't want to think of negative karma impacting someone who in this life seems innocent and undeserving.

And yes I realize most people who say that don't really have an understanding of Karma, lol. I just think most of us prefer to think of Karma as something that gets back at the bad guys. Except the concept of extending the bad guy experience to a future life makes it tricky. How could a small child who is completely helpless and dependent and innocent in this life, be held responsible for something they did in another life? It just doesn't always make sense to us. But I think if we are going to consider it a possibility in one direction, we have to consider it might work both ways, even if it makes us uncomfortable.

vinlynInvincible_summerMigyur
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Uk soap actor Bill Roache said in an interview that people who are abused etc etc bring it on themselves because of what they did in past lives etc etc...

@zenmyste -- This is the kind of argumentation we have heard in the United States from a variety of fundamentalist kooks.

The difficulty with the argument -- in Buddhism or anywhere else -- is that it cites what it considers to be the reason for hard times and then lets the argument drop, as if there were no responsibility, no compassion, no humanity required. This is horseshit, and worse, it's lazy and unkind horseshit.

Suppose for a moment that 'karma' or 'destiny' or 'God' really were the cause for current punishments, pains or losses. So what? Does finding a 'reason' solve anything? Does it excuse the one who is so 'reasonable' from taking the next step ... especially if s/he considers him- or her-self to be a Buddhist or Christian or Muslim in good standing? Is a tough-titty 'reason' any excuse to let the subject drop ... what the hell, it's God's will or destiny or karma?

This approach is common enough, but that's not to say it's not nonsense or worse. And what is true when assessing the plight of others is equally true when investigating my own personal terrain. "Oh boy, I must have really bad karma to be shouldered with the problems I have!"

So .... what?! Every ounce of energy used to 'explain' and find 'reasons' is that much less energy for doing something about it.
    CittakarastiInvincible_summer
  • Hate to tell you Lobster, you are no better -- or worse -- than them.
    Of course, you are right.
    It is a question of value. My knowledge of acting is inferior to Bills. The knowledge of karma specilialists is something most of will not find in gossip columns.
    So no need to hate, we go to the appropriate authorities and give them the credence they deserve. It is not a question of innate worth, it is a question of expecting Paris Hilton to know how to party and Lobsters to know how to provide a meal . . .
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2013
    karasti said:

I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's possible it *could* be true, but not in every case, and as @Citta said, we don't know so it's not something we should claim to know or understand.
    I forgot who said this but I wanted to ask about it:
    If you are molested, it's the intentional action of the molester at work, his or her karma, not the past life karma of the poor victim causing this.

If it is possible for the molester's karma to cause him to cause such suffering to others, why is it not possible for another individuals karma to cause suffering for themselves? I'm not saying it has to be, I'm just curious why you think it works one way but not another.

I'll never claim to understand how karma works, how it is calculated and how it is at play in anyone's lives. All we can do is live the best we can right now to bring about both immediate good karma and hopefully future good karma and merit. And maybe cleanse some bad karma in the process.

I do think that just because you might accept that some people could be in poor circumstances due to past karma, does not mean there should be no societal consequences for it. We still hold those who are mentally ill and actually not in the known about right and wrong, responsible in some way for their crimes. There is no reason we wouldn't do it now. Even if we know 100% it was karma at work, doesn't mean consequences in this life aren't part of the karma.

That would be me.

A lot of deep thoughts flying around. Hard to keep up with them all.

If we look at a situation, where something has happened to someone, we would like to say that universal cause-and-effect in the form of karma demands that bad things happen to an otherwise good person because they must have done something equally bad in the past, maybe a past life, and that's the consequence catching up to them. It is often taught that way even by Buddhists. This is karma as fate.

But stop to think about an entire situation including all the people involved, not just the victim. To say the victim's karma caused their suffering is to say that the victim's karma somehow forced that other person to attack you. Can your karma force someone to rape you to even the scales because you raped someone in a past life? But doesn't that mean you were only playing out the dance of fate in your past life also, and that victim was also fated to be raped by someone. You were just the hand of fate in this case.

With karma seen as fate and especially past-life karma, if you are shot, your karma must be causing that shooter to pull the trigger. It's our inherent need to find justice in an injust universe. The innocent suffer and the guilty go free and we'd like it all to make sense.

But karma seen as immediate action in the "actions have consequences" points to the finger pulling the trigger as the controlling karma. That is the action, and the consequences are you might be shot and the shooter goes to prison. How you react to having a gun shoved in your face and maybe shot is your karma. And so it goes.

lobster said:

Hate to tell you Lobster, you are no better -- or worse -- than them.
    Of course, you are right.
    It is a question of value. My knowledge of acting is inferior to Bills. The knowledge of karma specilialists is something most of will not find in gossip columns.
    So no need to hate, we go to the appropriate authorities and give them the credence they deserve. It is not a question of innate worth, it is a question of expecting Paris Hilton to know how to party and Lobsters to know how to provide a meal . . .

Lobster, you dismissed a whole group people: "The opinions of soap stars are not worth listening too...". For all you know, there are soap opera stars who may be very knowledgeable about Buddhism and very devout about their Buddhism. There are a number of actors who are quite knowledgeable about Buddhism. The fact that they are actors doesn't make them more qualified or less qualified than anyone else to state their viewpoints.

@genkaku I totally agree. Another time when this subject came up, I mentioned our son. When he was 2 he got very ill and almost died. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and survived. I could lay in bed at night (and I have a couple times, long ago) wondering what he, or we, did to deserve for him to have to deal with this for the rest of his life. To not be able to do things like normal kids or eat like normal kids etc etc. I have wondered during these discussions "did he, or one of us, do something in a past life that caused him to be diabetic and have to suffer with this for his whole life?"

What it comes down to, is, it doesn't matter. Whether it's karma, God, fate, destiny or just a messed up immune system that went haywire for no reason at all and attacked the insulin producing cells in the pancreas, doesn't matter. It is what it is, and our only option is to deal with it. Finding a "reason" for it doesn't make it go away, doesn't make it easier to deal with and certainly doesn't make anyone feel better.

It has made us, as a family, more able to live in the moment, because his care requires it. His almost dying also, as is typical, was a wake up call for us as well. Does he have diabetes to teach us these lessons? Who the hell knows. Does it matter whether that is the case or not? Not one bit.

I think we look for reasons just so we can get out of being responsible for our reaction to any situation. God or Karma or whatever is punishing us, therefore it's hopeless to try to do anything about it other than feel sorry for ourselves. Just because something happens to us doesn't mean we have to embrace the victim role and live our lives through it.

Some people I know seem to enjoy this. They truly feel vindicated when good things happen to them, saying "I'm a good person and God is blessing me" and feel they are being punished if something bad happens. They can't even see something. I know a lady who was told something suspect was found on an MRI so they needed to operate to find out for sure what it was. She thought she had pancreatic cancer and was going to die. She went to church and the sermon was about Jesus healing people so she prayed on it all day until her operation, and when they did it, the problem was benign and not cancer at all and they resolved it that day. Instead of being able to see that her concern was unwarranted and the problem was never cancer at all, she chose to view it as "Jesus cured me of cancer because I prayed for 4 days." A few months later her son got a DUI and instead of using it as a way to teach responsibility, she said he was being punished for not believing in God. Sure, his non belief in God caused God to make him get drunk and drive and cause an accident and get arrested. Christians aren't the only people that do this of course, it was just the first example I thought of. It's just a lack of wanting to be responsible for our own choices, right now, today. We want someone, anyone, to take the blame for the bad things, and in exchange we are willing to give them/it credit for the good.
  • Pedophiles aren't child molesters. Child Molesters are Child Molesters. We (who are into people of age) don't call ourselves rapists do we?
    This is true, thank you for pointing that out, @ericcris10sen Not all pedophiles molest children and not all molesters are pedophiles.
  • Pedophiles aren't child molesters. Child Molesters are Child Molesters. We (who are into people of age) don't call ourselves rapists do we?

What??
    Can you explain that to me please? For some reason it just isn't 'clicking' in my head....

• karasti said:

This is true, thank you for pointing that out, @ericcris10sen Not all pedophiles molest children and not all molesters are pedophiles.

Uh...a pedophile is someone who is sexually excited about the thought or fantasy of having sex with children. Now granted, that does not mean the pedophile always turns this fantasy into reality. In fact, few people with a fetish of any type go beyond private fantasies, according to research. Is this what you mean?
  • Sure I'll explain. A Pedophile is someone who has an attraction towards children or younger teens. Now, they aren't always sexual thoughts. Some actually aren't sexually aroused to them, some, believe it or not, love to be around them and feel to have a connection towards them, rather than with Adults. And yes, there are those who do have sexual fantasies about tweens (lets just call them that).

(I know this could be a discussion that some might not want to read so you can just bypass if you want)

Now, those who DO take a step further and go meet them for sex, would be considered a Child Molester. That they can't control their desire (per say) and want to take it to the next level....reality. And that is indeed wrong. Normally, tweens and children aren't sexual people. They just aren't. And it should be kept that way.

Like I said, you wouldn't call an Adult who's into Adults, Rapists would you? And what about those people who are rather "addicted" to sex and had it so many times a week or a day? Would you call them rapists since they're addicted to sex and might have a higher possibility to force acts upon someone? No? Well, Pedophiles aren't all out there trying to have sex with children, and believe it or not, but there are more out there than you think, and they are perfectly safe. And same with Adults into Adults. There are a lot out there who are attracted to fake rape, and they wouldn't dream of actually raping someone.

No one chooses to be into Children. It's not like they wake up and say to themselves, hey, I'm going to be into kids and have to hide it the rest of my life and be judged by everyone. It could be a mental thing that when they were younger and attracted to people of their age, that when they got older, that they just kept on to those good memories/instances and it stuck with them for the rest of their life. No one really understands why they do it.

I was actually studying to become a therapist because I seem to have that want to help others get past certain issues. It's a very sensitive topic and even though I don't think it's necessarily a 'healthy' fetish or attraction, I still wouldn't call every pedophile a child molester when there are many of them who haven't come close to even touching a child. I do apologize for anyone who might have gone through something and this discussion hurt them, but I did warn. Ignorance isn't something I take lightly. Calling pedophiles a child molester is like calling all Muslims terrorists, or all germans Nazis, or all Chinese communists, etc etc. It's not right and it needs to stop. The more educated people become on how the mind work
    Invincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    It's not that out of line with MN 135 where it says if you are a killer, you will have a short next life. If you aren't, you have a long next life. If you are violent, you get reborn sickly. If you are stingy, you get reborn poor. If you are generous, you are reborn rich, etc, etc, etc.
    @Cinorjer Yes that is what I meant. By definition, a pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to minors (in most cases children younger than the age of consent though that varies from state to state and country to country) but it doesn't mean they act on the impulse all the time. Not all people who molest children are sexually attracted to them. They often do it to exert their power and control over children, and as a way to get their sexual energy out in a way that does not make them vulnerable to the opposite sex. They often feel inadequate for any variety of reason, and because of that are too afraid to engage with their preferred adult gender. So, they use children as a means to get that energy out because they feel they can control children with promises and threats.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @ericcris10sen

So are you saying as long as a pedophile doesn't ACT on their fantasies or sexual desires for children- they're really not pedophiles... just plain ol' folks with sexual fantasies like anyone else?
    Ummm.... No. It is a deviant thought process (sexualizing children for self-gratification) and falls under pedophilia.

Are you saying not all pedophiles are child molesters; and not all child molesters are pedophiles? OK, if they have never acted on their deviant sexual desires for children- then true- they are not technically a child molester. Until they touch a child, they aren't. Fair enough.

But unless a child is being sexually molested by another "child", they are being molested by a pedophile. Period.
    They aren't hitting them, or shoving them around or doing other sorts of physical abuse- they are sexually molesting - It doesn't matter why. They are preying on children, sexually. And if that child is pre-pubescent, (undeveloped sexually) it's pedophilia.

So, I have to pretty much disagree with most of what you said (or at least your clarification of it).

According to the dictionary, ** and common, current, American usage ** a pedophile is an adult who finds children or young teens (pre-puberty) sexual/ly arousing.

An adult who sexually molests a child IS a pedophile. They are doing it for some sort of sexual gratification/control (of their own).
    Let's not split hairs on that.

But someone who finds great joy in being around children, and has no inkling nor the slightest HINT of sexual interest or fantasies about those children is simply called a person who likes kids.... Not a "pedophile".

I may not have a license hanging on my wall, but I have a pretty good educational background in psychology and counseling and never -ever- have I heard the word pedophile used to mean just a regular person with a non-sexual, but more than average interest in being around kids. Never.
    If that was the common usage we'd be calling every teacher, scout leader, pediatrician, etc, "pedophiles".
    "Oh yes, Dr Jones was a wonderful pedophile- he just couldn't do enough for the children in our community clinic program". .Seriously? Come on.....

As far as "Like I said, you wouldn't call an Adult who's into Adults, Rapists would you? "

No, Of Course Not.... because they would be TWO ADULTS in a consensual sexual situation. To compare this and to say it's the same as a 40 yr old man having sexual desires for a 6 yr old... but he's never acted on it.... is wrong; it's not the same thing. A man who's just 'into kids' as sexual objects is a pedophile... acting on it or not.

The whole point of not having sex with or molesting children is because our society has decided it is wrong to do so with a child who is too young (i.e; powerless) to make those decisions or say NO to an adult and/or authority figure.

Wow. I'm stunned by your comments.
  • BTW; I intentionally skipped the whole legal age of consent thing, because the laws are so varied from state to state and it muddies the waters as far as who is considered a "child"...
    So I'm speaking specifically about children who are prepubescent physically.
    edited March 2013
    I think even that varies though. In any case, what constitutes a child for sexual purposes really should be a case by case basis. I know 30 year olds who aren't mature enough to have sex. I know 13 year olds who are more developed sexually than I was when I was 18. In any cases, the line usually falls around 16-17-18 but it also depends on the other person involved. A 17 year old having sex with a 16 year old is a different story than most 17 year olds having sex with someone who is 30.
    In creepy terms, I am almost 9 years older than my husband, which means when I was 18, he was 9, LOL. We try not to think about it ;)
    Invincible_summer
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    karasti said:

I think even that varies though. In any case, what constitutes a child for sexual purposes really should be a case by case basis. I know 30 year olds who aren't mature enough to have sex. I know 13 year olds who are more developed sexually than I was when I was 18. In any cases, the line usually falls around 16-17-18 but it also depends on the other person involved. A 17 year old having sex with a 16 year old is a different story than most 17 year olds having sex with someone who is 30.
    In creepy terms, I am almost 9 years older than my husband, which means when I was 18, he was 9, LOL. We try not to think about it ;)

I agree. The laws regarding age of consent, etc are arbitrary at best, ridiculous at worst.
    My husband is nearly 10 yrs older than I am... we met when I was still 16 and he was 25.
    Was he a "child molester" or "pedophile"? No. I was completely developed physically, could look 3-4 yrs older than I was (when I wanted to look older, anyway), and I was not a virgin when we met. And I pretty much 'chased' him... but that's another story! LOL

I was trying to clarify the 'pedophile' discussion to the true definitions of pedophile- a sexual interest/fantasy/desire for children; not merely physically mature " very young people " - but children.

Edited to add: http://www.webistry.net/jan/consent.html

AOC is as low as 14 in a couple of states, and 15 in a few.
    I agree. I also wanted to clarify since the term was thrown around a bit, that fetish generally doesn't involve people, but inanimate objects. So something like pedophelia would never be a fetish because it does not involve a physical object. Some of the people on My Strange Addiction who are sexually attracted to their cars, balloons and blow up animals, that would be a fetish.

On the age thing, it's kind of funny because I had no qualms about chasing my now-husband. I was about to turn 30 and he had just turned 21. But I was nervous about possibly dating a guy who was 34 because he seemed too old, LOL.
  • ericcris10senericcris10sen Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @MaryAnne

Ok first off, a Pedophile is someone who has an attraction towards children. A Child Molester is someone who has acted upon having sex with a child. Is that Child Molester STILL a pedophile? Yes, of course. It's just now that man or woman has another title of Child Molester added onto Pedophile. I never stated that someone isn't a Pedophile when they molest a child. I'm trying to state that a Pedophile is NOT ALWAYS a Child Molester.

[quote]So are you saying as long as a pedophile doesn't ACT on their fantasies or sexual desires for children- they're really not pedophiles[/quote]
    Whoa whoa whoa where did I say this? I clearly stated that, that IS a Pedophile. I mean, the first paragraph should have shown that clearly.

[quote]So, I have to pretty much disagree with most of what you said (or at least your clarification of it). [/quote]
    lol everything you just stated about this comment in your paragraph, I stated in mine, so I'm going to guess you somehow didn't understand what I said. :|

[quote]But someone who finds great joy in being around children, and has no inkling nor the slightest HINT of sexual interest or fantasies about those children is simply called a person who likes kids.... Not a "pedophile".[/quote]
    I know I didn't make this clear because I didn't think anyone would know anything about this, so I tried to make it short, so I really want to apologize on this. What I was stating is that there are different kinds of Pedophiles. There are those who DO have sexual fantasies about children, and there are those who don't. There are those who have an attraction towards them not in a sexual manner, but in an attraction towards them for the way they look or whatever is going through their mind.

I would have to go way more into detail about this because like I said, there are a LOT of different kinds of pedophiles out there, not just the sexual aroused ones. And I actually didn't mean to sound that I'm labeling people who like to be with kids, pedophiles. Because god, probably 80%+ of the world would be considered one.

And about the two adults comment. I'm talking about people who call Pedophiles, Child Molesters; even though they've never touched a child, they're considered a Child Molester by a lot of people in today's society. So if someone hasn't done someone to be titled a child molester by the literal definition, wouldn't that be the same for adults being with adults, as rapists, or some other title? That's what I'm getting at. They haven't touched a child, so what would they be considered a Child Molester? That's the whole argument that I'm having with this discussion.

I think that instead of calling Child Molesters, Pedophiles, how about calling Child Molesters, Child Molesters? Because I think that yes, while they still are Pedophiles, it will confuse those who have no knowledge whatsoever on this subject, into thinking that all Pedophiles are Child Molesters.

P.S. If you want to know more about the different kinds of pedophiles, you can look at Psych Forums, because there are a whole lot of different kinds with different thought processes and different kinds of attractions towards the prepubescent. But the psych forums has more than just that. Has forums for ALL kinds of psychologically disturbed or hurt people who go there to vent and ask for help. I dunno, I'm really interested in the human mind and what goes through other people's heads.
    Invincible_summer
  • @ericcris10sen

OK, thanks for clearing it up further. Appreciate the time you took. We're cool.
    Please note that I did agree with you about the whole not every pedophile is a child molester thing- if they never molest a child they are not child molesters. Not a problem for me, there. :)

But it did sort of sound like you were also implying that until they acted out their sexual desires towards children, they shouldn't be called pedophiles. That I wouldn't agree with... but you also clarified that further as well.

As for psychology forums.... oh good gawds, no thanks. I'll have to pass on that. :)
    I spent quite a number of years in college classes (psychology major) and about a hundred years as a counselor/life-coach adviser and though my interest in these areas is as strong as ever, I would never really trust an online forum as a reliable source. Not saying they are never reliable... but I'll stick to my text books, peer-reviewed articles and real-life authors.

Besides, for me, (and my long winded ways) it would involve waaaaaay too much typing! Plus I'm a compulsive re-reader... OMG, I'd be on those forums day and night. (much like here! ) .LOL

ericcris10sen
  • @MaryAnne

Excellent :D I was hoping I wouldn't make a sworn enemy on here :D

haha yea I'm kinda like that too lol I'd spend a couple hours going through the different forums I visit trying to reply to as many people as I can :P

Good to know we're cool lol :D Whew!
    MaryAnne
    edited March 2013
    Citta said:

Well thank you for sharing your views about Karma misemisc1.
    They differ from the Buddhas teaching, But I suspect that may not be of concern to you.

@Citta: Thanks for sharing your views too. It seems to you that my understanding of karma differs from Buddha's teachings, but it seems to me that my understanding of karma is in line with Buddha's teachings - especially for the below things:
    My understanding of Buddha's teachings say: whatever we experience in the present, those are the combined result of our past karma and our present karma. to add, karma does not include only actions but also the field in which the actions took place, it also includes the body and the senses, which are themselves product of past karma and are the field in which present karma takes place, so even the mind and its mental states are in a way a product of past karma and are the field in which present karma takes place.
    My view - complex is the working of law of karma and i do not know all the details of it - but i believe law of karma holds. No act of goodness ever goes without being rewarded, no act of badness ever goes without being punished - but when the fruit of karma will ripen and what quantity will come in fruit, this is only decided by the law of karma. So i believe that whatever we experience in the present, those are the combined result of our past karma and our present karma.
    just to add further, law of karma which is in a way cause-effect, leading to arising of conditions due to their causes arising and ceasing of conditions due to their causes ceasing.

Hope you being a Buddhist and I being a Hindu - should not be the factor which decides whether my understanding of karma is in line with Buddha's teachings or not.
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    This has taken an interesting turn with Bill Roache's arrest on suspicion of raping an underage girl.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Quite.... If investigated, charged, brought to trial and found guilty I think he may have to reconsider his statement.....
  • lobster said:

...it is a question of expecting ... Lobsters to know how to provide a meal . . .

You wouldn't be a medium lobster would you?