Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Mala has arrived. :D

My first set of Mala's have finally arrived. Getting closer, I can just feel it. :D
cazlobsterriverflowTheEccentric

Comments

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I have had mine for a few months now and stilol am unsure of how to hold it/use it exactly
  • I have had mine for a few months now and stilol am unsure of how to hold it/use it exactly

I would say 90% of lay 'Buddhists' probably will take hold of it, slip it onto their wrist and wear it feeling a bit better about themselves.
    Invincible_summernenkohai
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Most people I know who have them use them to count, and they hold them any variety of ways that is comfortable to them. They are mostly people who are working on Preliminary Practices and are counting mantras, prostrations and other such things. In addition to the beads they have markers on them that mark I think 10, so that it's easier to keep track of numbers in the thousands.
    Enjoy your mala!
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Thank you all for the advice. I've studied where I use the right hand, thumb and fore finger ( or middle, due to fore finger representing ego). let the rest in the palm of the hand, or let them rest on stomach. Then starting at the master/teacher bead, pull each towards me.

My mantra is Tara Tutare tura sovah; the mantra to green Tara.
    :D
  • I have learned that you should hold them mala in your left hand, and when you reach the guru bead you turn it around so you never cross the guru bead. It is believed that there is a Buddha inside the guru bead, that is why it is shaped like a stupa often, and you should never cross a Buddha, hehe.

But I am sure there are many different traditions with this :)
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

If you're following a Tibetan tradition, this may be helpful.
    TheEccentric
  • Tara. Hooray. Here is a short practice. Like many I used to do the practice every day. We used to almost whisper the Tara mantra on an out breath. That is useful as it gives an indication of how peaceable or agitated your mind stream is.
    http://gadenforthewest.org/sadhanas/Concise GreenTara06.pdf

Good luck with your mala.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Takuan said:

If you're following a Tibetan tradition, this may be helpful.

Regardless of tradition, this video is a very good starting point. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche, IMVHO, makes a lot of sense in this video regarding mala use.

He's also a hoot to listen to.

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Thank you one and all; everything has been a helpful blessing. :D