Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When can I say I am a buddhist?

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone. I want to start by saying that this forum has been very helpful for me. Even just reading and not posting has provided me with more insight. My thing is I have been studing the religion through books, videos, Dharma classes and in tense situations by refoucusing my thoughts for about 2 months. I dont know when to start saying I am a buddhist? I almost feal like a fake because I am so new at it.
In a video with the Dalia Lama he says that to truly be a Buddhist you must follow the 4 Noble Truths. I dont even think that I truly grasp the meaning of them yet. So does this mean I am not a buddhist but just believe in the philosophy of Buddha? Scince my son was born 2 years ago I have been trying to find "my way" spiritually for him. I think its good to teach spirituality to your children. I have not felt such an attachment to any religion exept this one. Its funny because I have lived my life with all the same rules non attachment, karma, putting yourself in someone elses shoes and concentration to end suffering but did not realize there is a whole religion that teaches this philosophy. Therefore I am ready to start my journey to enlightenment. So again "At what point can I say I am a Buddhist?"

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Hi there!

I guess my answer to your question would be:

There are many Buddhists that do not call themselves so - it is up to you to feel the need for a title.

In the end when you're comfortable with saying you're a Buddhist then it's up to you to choose when to do so.

Welcome again!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Yintrue, there are so many "ooooh, so clever!" replies I could give you.... like for example' why seek to label yourself? it is limiting, and constricting!' or 'well, you can start by.....' but I'll stop there. I studied Buddhism consciously for about three years, and before that, I was acutely, deeply and animatedly interested in it without knowing what it was that fascinated me so....for I don't know how long. I made a personal commitment to Buddhism, for myself a while ago, by simply devising my own small ceremony and reciting the Triple gem.... But I agree that you shouldn't "commit" yourself to anything if you don't first understand, agree with and accept a basic and fundamental aspect....
    what would you like to know? :)
  • edited June 2005
    This is true Fredrica I should not commit to anything before I truly understand it. I guess it is my nature or just human conditioning that wishes me to lable myself. Sometimes people talk about religion or invite me to a "bible study" and I dont know what to say. Talking about my Buddhist pursutes puts me in a position where I do not know weither to call myself a Buddhist or say I am spiritual.
    In my lesson I asked the teacher to explain the 4 noble truths. She recited them to me and said "It takes some people years to fully grasp the meaning". I think she did not have enough time to go into detail being that the lesson was about how to love deeper. I know what they are but dont know how to practice them every day. How do you apply it to your life everyday?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Wow, what a question that is.... to be succinct and to the point would be very difficult on the forum, - it would take up bags of room,a nd I'm not sure I can answer you in 1 lifetime - ! But I'll PM you and see what we can work out together, how's that?
  • edited June 2005
    Im sorry I didnt mean to ask such an intense question.
    edited June 2005
    Hey, don't apologise! it's just that it is making me think deeply about just what it is I do, and how I do it..... very thought-provoking, and kinda brings me back into the picture of 'Me' if you like.... I'm PM'ing you shortly..... :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yintrue wrote:
    Im sorry I didnt mean to ask such an intense question.

That is the whole point of this discussion forum. For me Buddhism is in my heart. Even before I knew very much about Buddhism I knew I was a Buddhist even though I haven't always followed the "rules". Then I come to find out that the rules are questionable. For me I am doing this in stages. I think we all are. We just have to work on our path at our own pace. ROme wasn't built in a day and niether will the path to your destination.
  • edited June 2005
    Well put. I have developed more patience scince applying buddhist thinking in my life. Just let everything be and dont get to involved with the small stuff ect..
    By the way your picture is hysteracle!! Is that from Mr. Who?
    edited June 2005
    No that is Enik from Land of the Lost.
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited January 2011
    No that is Enik from Land of the Lost.

ooh...I was thinking it was the Gorn or some other creature from the original Star Trek!

Yintrue,

A zen story for you:

One day, a young monk asked the abbot of his temple how long would it take before he becamed enlightened. The abbot thought for a moment, and said, "ten years!" The young monk felt a bit discouraged at this, and asked, "But what if I study really hard and meditate for 12 hours a day? How long would it take then?" The abbot looked at the young monk with a grin. "Then it will take twenty years, " he exclaimed!

We westerners have a hard time of letting go of the notion of labels, especially when it comes to the self. When am I an adult? When am I a father, student, husband, etc... all of which have pre-conceived notions of what it is to be an adult, father, etc.... They are only labels, and not really who we are. The same was with the monk in the story. He had an attachement to an idea of what being enlightened was and what it would take to get there.

We all have a buddha-nature, so would that make us all buddhists? I rarely call myself one, only when a jehavoah's witness comes knocking on my door, or when christian groups are out on campus agressively passing out bibles. This is a bit off subject, but one time, right after 9-11, some guy tried to give me one, and I asked him if he had a Quran, because I'd really like to read that. I got such a weird look!
  • edited June 2005
    I like that story. We definitly live in a microwave society and its easy to forget that good things come in time. I have decided after everyones input and my own feelings that I am not going to call myself anything. I was so wraped up in finding a spiritual path for me and my family that I felt obligated to impose a label on our faith. I am going to just be. And teach my son the values of living mindfully on his own terms and without labels.
  • edited June 2005
    i read somewhere something like as long as you practice the basics of buddhism as best as humanly possible, you can call yourself a buddhist :) this is probly 'cause buddhists dont have baptism, circumsision, or any other fundemental "initiation" :D so congrats, youre now a buddhist, or banana, or w/e ud like to call yourself :lol: doesnt matter to us... welcome :bigclap:
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yintrue wrote:
    I like that story. We definitly live in a microwave society and its easy to forget that good things come in time. I have decided after everyones input and my own feelings that I am not going to call myself anything. I was so wraped up in finding a spiritual path for me and my family that I felt obligated to impose a label on our faith. I am going to just be. And teach my son the values of living mindfully on his own terms and without labels.

Sounds like a plan! How old is your son? I often laugh when my 4 year old can identify buddha but doesn't have clue one who Jesus is! We were at a friend's house once, and at dinner, they had a prayer (something they don't normally do, but I think it was my friend's mom's idea). My son kinda looked at me like "what the heck are they doing?" I just smiled and shrugged :D
    edited June 2005
    That is funny. I think my 7 month old will go through that also.
  • edited June 2005
    I still cant get over that picture comicallyinsane. It makes me smile so big. Now I know why you chose your name name. My son, who is 2.5, has a Jesus action figure with glide action (wheels on the bottom) so he knows who he is because of that. He also has a mini Buddha. Luckily they dont role play fight.
    edited June 2005
    Actually my name has a story behind it. When I was 14 I decided I wanted to own a comic book store and I named it Comically Insane. When I did own a store when I was 23 I bought a store and kept the name the same as the previous owner. Iwas oging to rent a place her ein town and clal it the proper name but the owner died and the daughters sold my location. I hadn't paid any money thankfully. I am having enough trouble paying bills. LOL. But most everyone on my forum calls me Comic so I just keep the name. So call me Comic or Jason. Either name is fine. LOL