Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Religions becoming State Religions

Here, and many parts of the world, Freedom of religion is a fundamental right. No, official state recognized religions; but here in the U.S. there's been always a movement to make Christianity the official and constitutional recognized religion; meaning, Christianity would be funded by tax revenue. And, that swearing an oath to the Christian God or any employment would and could depend on being only Christian. Recently, the state of North Carolina has made the statement, and received some form of authorization, that states and not nations can make this law.

As Buddhist, how do you feel that your very right to employment, or even state aide would depend on converting to Christianity?

Comments

• chelachela Veteran
    As far as I understand, the reason behind keeping church and state separate is to protect both, as @person has shown. In the US, we currently do not practice separation-- it is an illusion. Right-wing Christian organizations have big stakes in political dealings as lobbyists; and in my opinion, many of their followers are being spoon-fed lies about what they are supporting and the reasons why they should. This is (again, in my opinion) why we see a Christian right that is so filled with hate and violence-- something I am pretty sure Jesus was against. So we have a situation where corruption in both the church and state is the norm, not the exception.
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @JohnG, just for the record, the largest "Buddhist country" is Thailand. And while the King has the responsibility to protect all religions there, Buddhism is pretty much the official religion. There is virtually no aspect of government that does not have involvement by Buddhist monks, and often members of the Supreme Sangha. Military weapons are often blessed by monks, as a re military troops. Virtually every government ceremony has the involvement of monks. Buddhism is talked about constantly, and the government pays for the construction and upkeep of many Buddhist temples and Buddhist "universities" for monks.

Could you give us a reference to anything done in North Carolina along the lines of what you are saying?

@Chela, I don't agree with you here. People, both individually and collectively, have a right to lobby their government and have freedom of speech. Does it blur the lines a bit? Yes. But a total separation of church and state (as you seem to be suggesting) would probably infringe on the other right -- freedom of speech.

• vinlyn said:

@Chela, I don't agree with you here. People, both individually and collectively, have a right to lobby their government and have freedom of speech. Does it blur the lines a bit? Yes. But a total separation of church and state (as you seem to be suggesting) would probably infringe on the other right -- freedom of speech.

People as individuals have freedom of speech -- they can contact their elected reprentatives, vote, peacefully protest etc. That isn't denied because they want to bring their religious beliefs into the political arena. I don't think Chela or anyone else is denying them that right (and it's not something anyone can deny as it is constitutional). But when you are talking about actual religious organizations spending money lobbying our congressmen, then they are overstepping and it *is* a problem. That does go against separation of church and state -- a separation that is written into the constituation and serves to protect the religious freedom of everyone.

Besides whether you are talking about individual constituents or religious groups, legislation created to appease a group on religioius grounds threatens the freedom and rights of those people not of that group. That can be seen with many social issues such as gay marraige, health insurance covering birth control, access to abortion etc etc etc. If someone wants to argue those things in a way that does not involve religious belief, then that is what needs to be brought to the political decision making table. However, in most cases, religious belief is what is being argued. That is absolutely unacceptable for what should be obvious reasons. It is a fallacy to assume what counts as important truth to one religious group applies in anyway to anyone else. You can not have political debate along those lines -- at least not in a pluralistic society.

We all have certain rights in the US, but they end at the point that they start to deny other people their own rights. People have the right to believe what they want, follow the religion of their choosing and so on. They do not have the right to foist their own religious beliefs on everyone else. That interferes with my right to freedom of religion. Laws passed in this country have to apply to a large diverse population, and that can't be done effectively if only the needs of a few groups are taken into account.

person
    black_tea said:

People as individuals have freedom of speech -- they can contact their elected reprentatives, vote, peacefully protest etc. That isn't denied because they want to bring their religious beliefs into the political arena. I don't think Chela or anyone else is denying them that right (and it's not something anyone can deny as it is constitutional). But when you are talking about actual religious organizations spending money lobbying our congressmen, then they are overstepping and it *is* a problem. That does go against separation of church and state -- a separation that is written into the constituation and serves to protect the religious freedom of everyone.

Besides whether you are talking about individual constituents or religious groups, legislation created to appease a group on religioius grounds threatens the freedom and rights of those people not of that group. That can be seen with many social issues such as gay marraige, health insurance covering birth control, access to abortion etc etc etc. If someone wants to argue those things in a way that does not involve religious belief, then that is what needs to be brought to the political decision making table. However, in most cases, religious belief is what is being argued. That is absolutely unacceptable for what should be obvious reasons. It is a fallacy to assume what counts as important truth to one religious group applies in anyway to anyone else. You can not have political debate along those lines -- at least not in a pluralistic society.

We all have certain rights in the US, but they end at the point that they start to deny other people their own rights. People have the right to believe what they want, follow the religion of their choosing and so on. They do not have the right to foist their own religious beliefs on everyone else. That interferes with my right to freedom of religion. Laws passed in this country have to apply to a large diverse population, and that can't be done effectively if only the needs of a few groups are taken into account.

I'm sorry, but I simply don't agree. While I don't personally approve of churches lobbying Congress, I don't see any legal block to doing so. How exactly is a group of Baptists getting together and sending a lobbyist to Washington any different than a bunch of us oldsters getting together and sending a lobbyist to Washington via the NAACP?

And what are all these events that have infringed on your religious rights? Nobody's stopped me from going to the Buddhist temple, or buying Buddhist books, or donating money to the Buddhist temple, or posting on this website, or talking about Buddhism. Even here in Colorado's most religious city, no one has pushed me to go to a Christian church. And BTW, Buddhist temples are just as able to gain tax exempt status as any Christian church.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    JohnG said:

As Buddhist, how do you feel that your very right to employment, or even state aide would depend on converting to Christianity?

What do you mean, your right to state aid would depend on accepting Christianity?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Here's a bit about the actual bill from the OP
    The North Carolina state constitution disqualifies those who do not believe in God from public office. The provision has been unenforcible since the 1961 Supreme Court decision in Torcaso v. Watkins, which prohibited such bans. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html
    The bill being proposed would allow the state to ignore the Supreme court decision and enforce a mandate that all elected officials be Christian. Who knows where it would go from there.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I would think that would be unconstitutional.
    It pays to be ever vigilant, but not to be:

http://www.worldstory.net/en/stories/chicken_little.html
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yeah, it has zero chance of winning but that won't stop them from spending millions fighting it up to the Supreme court all the while complaining about spending money on poor people.
    riverflowVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited April 2013
    An article on the topic:
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/04/3957284/state-has-power-to-establish-official.html

Just because the GOP is talking about it doesn't mean it'll happen, for the record. They did file it, it looks like but that doesn't always mean much. It looks like it came about because the ACLU has been on some of the county agencies in NC for starting various meetings with Christian prayers. They started it as a way to keep judicial rulings from telling them they can't pray, and then they decided to just go ahead and push for a state religion.

As for what would I do if it was me? Well first of all I'd never live in the bible belt. But if I did, or if my state went nuts (you never know, we are home to Michelle Bachman) I would move. I would actually pack up, and move. No way would I be subject to living under something I did not believe in, or living under the stress of trying to lie about it and practice my real beliefs in hiding.
    vinlyn
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    We had a member here who lived either in North or South Carolina, and he ended up having to flee the state, he was under so much pressure to conform. He was constantly asked at work what church he went to, and that kind of thing. Ordinarily, one would be able to go to Human Resources and file a harassment or discrimination complaint, but if the entire culture of the state is like that, there wouldn't be much recourse. Unless one's job was threatened, then one could take it to the ACLU. But he quit and moved out of state before it came to that.
  • JohnG said:

As an unbeliever of what Christian fundamentalists are pushing (Buddhist or otherwise), I guess I'd have to be unemployed. Or move elsewhere.

This isn't anything new--its gone on for centuries and all the rhetoric about the U.S. being the land of the free is somewhat delusional--especially in the southern U.S. These people are just as insecure and manipulative as every other group of fanatics that have come and gone. The U.S. is not immune to it either.

There may not be an official state religion, but it is implied with a 'wink, wink, nudge nudge'--and in some places down south you have to be careful, unless you like being harassed.
  • chelachela Veteran
    I've thought about this some more. I say, go for it, NC. Then, there will be a safe haven for all the crusaders that live everywhere else to go. And then the rest of us can live a little freer.

Just a joke, guys. Don't be so serious all the time.

And thank you, @black_tea for illustrating the point I was trying to make, which was that big religious organizations lobbying for our laws IS infringing on our individual rights. I find it hard to believe that some of us here think it is okay for those religious lobbying powers to tell me or you, as individuals, that we must follow the rules of their Bible (and as how they are interpreted by those lobbyists), regardless of our individual beliefs, values, etc. That IS the equivalent of state-sanctioned religion. I don't understand how anyone can say that this kind of power over individual rights is a constitutional right.
    riverflowkarasti
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    edited April 2013
    vinlyn said:

I'm sorry, but I simply don't agree. While I don't personally approve of churches lobbying Congress, I don't see any legal block to doing so. How exactly is a group of Baptists getting together and sending a lobbyist to Washington any different than a bunch of us oldsters getting together and sending a lobbyist to Washington via the NAACP?

And what are all these events that have infringed on your religious rights? Nobody's stopped me from going to the Buddhist temple, or buying Buddhist books, or donating money to the Buddhist temple, or posting on this website, or talking about Buddhism. Even here in Colorado's most religious city, no one has pushed me to go to a Christian church. And BTW, Buddhist temples are just as able to gain tax exempt status as any Christian church.

Because religion and the state are supposed to be kept separate. Making sure minorities are treated equally (for example) does not infringe upon the rights of others and is in line with the constitution that says 'all men are created equal.' Pushing one's religion on other people only constricts the rights of others, while giving that lucky religious group the sense that things are going more the way their god wants them too. There's a clear difference between the two scenarios.

It's not just about the ability to go worship somewhere. Have you been keeping up with current events? When a group of people decide women's health issues are in conflict with their religious beliefs and make it harder for women to get the healthcare they need, that is an infringment on the rights of others by a religious group. When one group is treated unequally, because their sexual orientation offends a particular religious group, then that religious group is infringing on the rights of others. When schools treat creationism as a science and push for prayer in public school, then they are interfering with the religious rights of others. These are issues that have been all over the news for years.

If Jane Doe's religious beliefs say birth control is ok, then why should a different religious group try to make access more difficult? If Bob and John want to get married, and it's ok according to their religious beliefs, then why should the religious beliefs of other matter in the eyes of the law? You could make the case that during a school prayer, the students could pray to whomever they liked, but if you've ever been the odd one out in a school situation, you should realize how difficult that can be on students. And creationism isn't just a Christianized version of how the universe was made, it also flat out isn't science -- interfering with both religion freedom and education. I don't see how you can say that people's rights aren't being infringed upon. Just because I can go to the Dharma Center without being assulted or shunned by the community, doesn't mean that everything's A-OK.

People have the right to believe, preach, and worship wherever they want in any religion they choose. But, no one has the right (or should have the right) to try to make their religious beliefs into the basis for laws that effect everybody. This is the way our country is supposed to be set up, though it unfortunately does not always work that way. This is not interfering with the freedom of speech, it's putting a necessary balance in place so that all groups can be treated equally and fairly. If you throw that balance off, you get a situation where either the group with the most adherents and/or the most money (lobbying power) comes out on top and everyone else is relegated to second class.
    riverflowchela
    With birth control and religion, it becomes a lot more complex when the person who is not Catholic (since usually it is Catholics that are involved in this discussion) works for an organization that IS Catholic based, who gets infringed on more? The Catholic church for having to provide something they don't believe in? Or the woman who is not Catholic and deserves health care? The easy answer is "if you don't like how Catholics conduct their business, don't work for them." but considering how often it's come up, it seems to happen pretty often. Or take a place like Hobby Lobby that is well-known to be Christian based. That's where it gets harder, in my mind, to decide whose rights are most important.

Overall, I agree. No one has the right to take their beliefs and tell the rest of us what to do based on them. But, that is one of the tenets of Christianity, too, to pray for all us heathens and try to save us from ourselves, and try to convert us all before it's too late. So I don't think it's goin to go away any time soon.
    black_tea said:

Because religion and the state are supposed to be kept separate. Making sure minorities are treated equally (for example) does not infringe upon the rights of others and is in line with the constitution that says 'all men are created equal.' Pushing one's religion on other people only constricts the rights of others, while giving that lucky religious group the sense that things are going more the way their god wants them too. There's a clear difference between the two scenarios.

It's not just about the ability to go worship somewhere. Have you been keeping up with current events? When a group of people decide women's health issues are in conflict with their religious beliefs and make it harder for women to get the healthcare they need, that is an infringment on the rights of others by a religious group. When one group is treated unequally, because their sexual orientation offends a particular religious group, then that religious group is infringing on the rights of others. When schools treat creationism as a science and push for prayer in public school, then they are interfering with the religious rights of others. These are issues that have been all over the news for years.

If Jane Doe's religious beliefs say birth control is ok, then why should a different religious group try to make access more difficult? If Bob and John want to get married, and it's ok according to their religious beliefs, then why should the religious beliefs of other matter in the eyes of the law? You could make the case that during a school prayer, the students could pray to whomever they liked, but if you've ever been the odd one out in a school situation, you should realize how difficult that can be on students. And creationism isn't just a Christianized version of how the universe was made, it also flat out isn't science -- interfering with both religion freedom and education. I don't see how you can say that people's rights aren't being infringed upon. Just because I can go to the Dharma Center without being assulted or shunned by the community, doesn't mean that everything's A-OK.

People have the right to believe, preach, and worship wherever they want in any religion they choose. But, no one has the right (or should have the right) to try to make their religious beliefs into the basis for laws that effect everybody. This is the way our country is supposed to be set up, though it unfortunately does not always work that way. This is not interfering with the freedom of speech, it's putting a necessary balance in place so that all groups can be treated equally and fairly. If you throw that balance off, you get a situation where either the group with the most adherents and/or the most money (lobbying power) comes out on top and everyone else is relegated to second class.

@Black_tea, you're infringing on my rights by lecturing me.

:nyah:

The problem with your position is that you think there's "a clear difference" among scenarios. And it's really not clear at all.

We should begin with the WHOLE text of the First Amendment to the Constitution that relates to religion: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." I'm not aware of any law that the federal Congress has enacted that has established a religion. In fact, over the decades, the Supreme Court has expanded the meaning of the First Amendment through the 1947 Establishment Clause, which extended the law to all the States.

Since situations having to do with the First Amendment have repeatedly been brought to the Supreme Court for adjudication, it's very clear that what the Amendment says and means is not as clear as you would like to pretend it is.

Now, in regard to women's health issues. There are two hospitals here in Colorado Springs. Memorial Hospital and Penrose-St. Francis Hospital. I choose to go to the latter because it is, quite simply, the better of the two. I am fully aware that it is a hospital owned by the Catholic Church. And when I was in the hospital for a couple of days, there was not one mention of religion in any way. Yes, I am aware that they do not perform abortions. But, as a privately owned hospital, I think that is their right. Memorial Hospital is the publicly owned hospital. What they do or do not do might need to be determined by public will.

I am gay. And that issue is working its way through the Supreme Court and the electorate at this time. I am concerned with what the law is. I am not concerned what a religious group advocates. That is their freedom of speech.

Evolution in school. Trust me...I know more about it than you do. I used to teach evolution in public school. And you are mixing federal and state law. Education is a responsibility of the state, not the federal government...although I wish it were a federal responsibility. I think Tennessee is way off base on that particular topic. But I will let the Tennesseans decide their education system until it becomes a federal responsibility.

And in terms of prayer in school, do you really know what the law is? Students cannot be forced to pray at all. They cannot be forced to recite the Pledge Of Allegiance. They cannot be forced to ever stand during the Pledge. But they can be forced to be quiet while it is being said. You know, sort of like during the Olympics when out of respect we all stand and remain quiet when another country's national anthem is played.

Now I'm sure there are places the law is broken. And when that happens, people need to be willing to work through the system.

But if you think the Constitution and the law is always so clear and that lines are always so distinct, then your comprehension of the news is rather shallow.
  • karasti said:

With birth control and religion, it becomes a lot more complex when the person who is not Catholic (since usually it is Catholics that are involved in this discussion) works for an organization that IS Catholic based, who gets infringed on more? The Catholic church for having to provide something they don't believe in? Or the woman who is not Catholic and deserves health care? The easy answer is "if you don't like how Catholics conduct their business, don't work for them." but considering how often it's come up, it seems to happen pretty often. Or take a place like Hobby Lobby that is well-known to be Christian based. That's where it gets harder, in my mind, to decide whose rights are most important.

Yes, that is more complicated, but yet, is it an employers right to dictate what kind of healthcare their employees have access to? Nobody has to use birth control against their will, and though I can understand the discomfort employers who hold these beliefs have with it... it feels to me that ultimately the decision should not be up to them. Birth control is legal and it is an important part of healthcare for many women --while the situation is imperfect, the employees should receive coverage. It's their health and their bodies therefore their ultimate decision.

Not working for an organization you may disagree with is especially difficult in today's economy, and that's probably one of the reasons this does come up a lot. Leaving an otherwise secure job is a huge gamble that may also effect the employee's family as well. Like a lot of things in this diverse country that at least tries to promote equality, it's going to be a balancing act when you have a group working together, because most likely the group isn't going to be homogenous. I've actually thought about this issue a good bit, and I can at least understand where both sides are coming from. However, when the pros and cons for boths sides are weighed, I'm just not sure how an employee's health can be trumped by the religious views of an employer.
    black_tea said:

Yes, that is more complicated, but yet, is it an employers right to dictate what kind of healthcare their employees have access to? Nobody has to use birth control against their will, and though I can understand the discomfort employers who hold these beliefs have with it... it feels to me that ultimately the decision should not be up to them. Birth control is legal and it is an important part of healthcare for many women --while the situation is imperfect, the employees should receive coverage. It's their health and their bodies therefore their ultimate decision.

Not working for an organization you may disagree with is especially difficult in today's economy, and that's probably one of the reasons this does come up a lot. Leaving an otherwise secure job is a huge gamble that may also effect the employee's family as well. Like a lot of things in this diverse country that at least tries to promote equality, it's going to be a balancing act when you have a group working together, because most likely the group isn't going to be homogenous. I've actually thought about this issue a good bit, and I can at least understand where both sides are coming from. However, when the pros and cons for boths sides are weighed, I'm just not sure how an employee's health can be trumped by the religious views of an employer.

Again, you make it so simple...and it's not. When I went to teach in the Washington, D.C. metro area, I could have worked at 4 suburban school districts. They each had different health care plans. I chose to work in a particular system, and I chose that system based -- at least in part -- on their benefits and their pay. If I didn't like the benefit system of Prince George's County Schools, I could get a job elsewhere...and after a few years did.

I agree, I was just saying I understand why it's a sticky issue. If it were a case where the employer was the one actually handing out birth control, then it might be a bit different. But all they are doing is simply offering the option for those who want it. And seriously, most Catholics use birth control. Like 80% or something of the younger Catholics use it. It seems very much like a control problem with the church because they feel they are losing control of their flock.

With abortion I can see it moreso. 2 hospitals in our area (and the only 2 in the major city near us) are Catholic hospitals so they don't perform abortions. At least in that case, the doctor would actually have to perform something against their beliefs.

But looking at other topics here, if you turn it around it's harder when it's your belief set that is challenged. What Buddhist wants to be made to do something they don't believe in? What if your employer required you to go shoot a bunch off gophers on the property or something? I realize that's not quite the same case, but just generally speaking. We talk here a lot about what is ok or not ok for a Buddhist to do, too. If you were the boss, would you fire someone for being a hunter? Would you provide health care that covered abortion if you as the boss were against it? Just questions I'm considering myself, thinking aloud.
    karasti said:

I agree, I was just saying I understand why it's a sticky issue. If it were a case where the employer was the one actually handing out birth control, then it might be a bit different. But all they are doing is simply offering the option for those who want it. And seriously, most Catholics use birth control. Like 80% or something of the younger Catholics use it. It seems very much like a control problem with the church because they feel they are losing control of their flock.

With abortion I can see it moreso. 2 hospitals in our area (and the only 2 in the major city near us) are Catholic hospitals so they don't perform abortions. At least in that case, the doctor would actually have to perform something against their beliefs.

But looking at other topics here, if you turn it around it's harder when it's your belief set that is challenged. What Buddhist wants to be made to do something they don't believe in? What if your employer required you to go shoot a bunch off gophers on the property or something? I realize that's not quite the same case, but just generally speaking. We talk here a lot about what is ok or not ok for a Buddhist to do, too. If you were the boss, would you fire someone for being a hunter? Would you provide health care that covered abortion if you as the boss were against it? Just questions I'm considering myself, thinking aloud.

Actually, I think that's a very good analogy.

• chelachela Veteran
    I wonder if those Catholic-employer healthcare plans cover viagra prescriptions for men.

And speaking of Catholic hospitals...my aunt gave birth to her fourth child via c-section in one and was planning on getting her tubes tied (which they typically can do during the surgery), but was denied by the hospital. They told her that her husband could schedule a vasectomy, but she could not have her tubes tied. Now, on the surface this doesn't make any sense. But yet it does if you understand that most of the rules regarding women within a patriarchy are set in place solely to control and manipulate the woman-- to ensure she is "behaving". If my aunt were to have a tubal ligation, she might have an affair, and then there would be no pregnancy to announce her sin. That is just one example of how women are/can be unfairly treated within a religious institution regarding healthcare, and in Christianity, the focus is on our reproductive organs.

Nothing about our constitution is black and white. We think we have rights written in stone, but we do not. Something that woke me up to what I believe is going on with the religious right and politics is the independent film "Madison Avenue." Specifically, it highlighted the Tea Party movement and who is behind it (David Koch, for one). Most of my more religious relatives vote for whomever is running on the "take back America" platform, because they honestly believe that "take back America" actually means that, if whomever is on this platform wins, the people (the 99%) will be in charge of the country again. What they don't realize is that Big Corporation is the "wizard" behind this platform's curtain, and they are pushing to strip out what laws we have that protect citizens and the environment in order for Big Corp to earn more profits and power. This is an example of what I mean when I say that the flock is being led astray. They are being taken advantage of by a large group of policy makers and corporate sponsors who see them as easy targets with an institutionalized stream of funding.
    Viagra of course, because it ensures reproduction can continue. I wonder if they only give it out to married men, heh.

We have a neighbor that is of the "full quiver" Catholic belief, and the local Catholic Church and it's members support them with every need they have so they can be put up as an example of good Catholics. Because having babies you can't afford means God will support you! Reminds me of what Pat Robertson said the other day, that the US sees fewer miracles than Africa because we are too educated. That science and all the things we THINK we know are really fake and that if we would just believe what we are told, that God loves us and will save us, God would show us more miracles. He even said we need to go back to living more like people in Africa. And he has so many followers, people who watch him and agree with him. That kind of crap is what runs too much of our country right now. He basically said that anyone who practices critical thinking and thinks for themselves is making God look down on the US. Personally, I would think God would look down on Robertson for being a hateful...well I have no nice words so I won't use any. Sorry to get off on a tangent. Just upsets me that people who listen to that kind of garbage, are people who vote in legislators who want to control our lives with that same garbage.
  • karasti said:

Reminds me of what Pat Robertson said the other day, that the US sees fewer miracles than Africa because we are too educated. That science and all the things we THINK we know are really fake and that if we would just believe what we are told, that God loves us and will save us, God would show us more miracles. He even said we need to go back to living more like people in Africa. And he has so many followers, people who watch him and agree with him.

--said by the televangelist broadcast on the technological wonders of radio, television and satellites orbiting the earth placed there by rockets and maintained space shuttles!
    personkarasti
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Thank you all for your input. I'm concerned over this, and yes, our first amendment states no state religion, the North Carolina issue could nullify it.
    chela said:

I wonder if those Catholic-employer healthcare plans cover viagra prescriptions for men.

And speaking of Catholic hospitals...my aunt gave birth to her fourth child via c-section in one and was planning on getting her tubes tied (which they typically can do during the surgery), but was denied by the hospital. They told her that her husband could schedule a vasectomy, but she could not have her tubes tied. Now, on the surface this doesn't make any sense. But yet it does if you understand that most of the rules regarding women within a patriarchy are set in place solely to control and manipulate the woman-- to ensure she is "behaving". If my aunt were to have a tubal ligation, she might have an affair, and then there would be no pregnancy to announce her sin. That is just one example of how women are/can be unfairly treated within a religious institution regarding healthcare, and in Christianity, the focus is on our reproductive organs.

While I think a religious affiliated private hospital should be able to choose which procedures they approve, I do not think they should be able to apply a double standard.

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    But unfortunatly they do. :(
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I think this should worry us quite a bit, but more than that, educate us as to the nature of people everywhere. See, most people have never believed in universal rights, never have and never will. And religion and government can never really be separated because both attempt to tell you what to do and how to treat other people, and the choice is either accepting eternal conflict between the two or letting them merge so religion and government are one and the same. They want to merge. Right now, India is in the process of combining Muslim and secular government and since the majority of people either want this or are helpless to prevent it, that's going to happen.

People don't believe in universal rights, because they know when they're being fed a load of bull. What does that mean, saying people have a universal right to worship however they want? Religion isn't just what church you go to on Sunday. Religion tells you how to treat other people, and now you're saying my right to practice my own religion doesn't exist because I have to hire gays for my business even though my religion says gays are abominations?? The government is trampling on my rights!

The particular set of evangelical Christian people that the politicians in our fine state of North Carolina are pandering to with this really do believe the US should be a theocracy. They have bought the Biblical myth of the Priest-King and a nation that defines itself by it's religion. If all we had was a Congress, we'd have gotten one long ago. Fortunately, we've placed a judicial branch into our power structure that has the authority to stop this sort of thing.

What people do believe in, is their own team. They don't really care about the other teams. Do you have one football team you identify with? Do you really care if the other team has a hurt member that has to be carried off, or do you rejoice because now your team has the advantage? Yet if your member is injured, it's a terrible blow to your people.

It's how we're hardwired and how it's always been and how it will always be. What we can do is try to expand people's definition of their team from "my brand of Christian" or "my political party" or "my skin color" to the entire tribe of humanity. I'm not sure it's possible. Recent history has a spotty record on being able to pull it off.
    riverflow
  • Sometimes people need to learn the hard way. Unfortunately a lot of people may have to suffer in the process.
    Cinorjer said:

...Right now, India is in the process of combining Muslim and secular government and since the majority of people either want this or are helpless to prevent it, that's going to happen...

i must be misunderstanding you. 81% if the people in India are Hindu. What am I not understanding?
  • vinlyn said:

Cinorjer said:

...Right now, India is in the process of combining Muslim and secular government and since the majority of people either want this or are helpless to prevent it, that's going to happen...

i must be misunderstanding you. 81% if the people in India are Hindu. What am I not understanding?
    Sorry, I meant Egypt. Thanks for catching that!
    Okay...now that makes sense! ;)
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Just saw in the news, the two Republicans who introduced the bill that gives the state the power to establish a state religion withdrew the bill. They got their publicity and they'll get campaign donations and a certain segment of the voters will be sure to get out the vote, along with the preachers of the churches where this sort of thing is taught.

I like it, that the bill didn't say which religion or how that would be determined. Gee, you think the Muslim or Jewish or Mormons would have a chance of getting their religion chosen as the "official state religion"?

riverflow
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    It is almost racist and is of a similar principle of racism to give somebody something simply because they are of one religion and not giving to someone who isn't, it's discriminative and stupid.
    While it is discriminative and stupid, I don't see what racism has to do with it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    chela said:

The $50,000 question.

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    One of the issues I have, is that what happens with non christians? Before America Invaded Afghansistan, the taliban began to force Buddhists to wear a yellow wrist band; and forbade them employmen. Just as they were dynamiting the thousand's old buddhist statutes and monastaries in Norhtern Afghansistan. Or, the destrcutrion of Syngogs in Nazi and Fachist Europe.

Would we, as Buddhists here in America, be subject to such things if and when America becomes a Christian theocracy? Or would violence break out and bring about anarchy, with so many groups choosing to take on the government and the people?
    I've wondered myself how well anarchy would truly work in such a situation. With the gun rights topic going round and round, people keep arguing they need guns to fight govt. tyranny. Really? Even if you personally have a large arsenal, what is that going to do against the US government and military? If anarchy were to break out, I honestly am not so sure that the US govt would not use force against it's own citizens. At what point would the people we elect turn against us? Far more questions than answers, as usual, lol.
    I never understood what anarchy was until I lived through the riots in Bangkok. When nobody is in charge. Not the government. Not the army. Not the police.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Very true, but, I have four anti government soverign group members on my own shift; and they know I'm a new buddhist, and the harassment to convert is constant. And nothing I've complained to will help. I was wondering, I keep hearing of the Abrahamic tradions, but very little from our faith. Would anyone think it would help, or hurt if we came out, and began to live our faith, in the way's of helping and teaching humanity of the Buddha? Or would this just endanger our faith?
  • JohnG said:

Very true, but, I have four anti government soverign group members on my own shift; and they know I'm a new buddhist, and the harassment to convert is constant. And nothing I've complained to will help. I was wondering, I keep hearing of the Abrahamic tradions, but very little from our faith. Would anyone think it would help, or hurt if we came out, and began to live our faith, in the way's of helping and teaching humanity of the Buddha? Or would this just endanger our faith?

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "came out and began to live our faith"?

Most people in the US do have the idea that Buddhism consists of monks in robes, because the few places out there where lay Buddhists congregate are either ethnic enclaves who don't want to call attention to their differences, or folks heavily into their self journey of detachment and not likely to show up at a demonstration with signs saying "Buddhists against the war!"

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

JohnG said:

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "came out and began to live our faith"?

Most people in the US do have the idea that Buddhism consists of monks in robes, because the few places out there where lay Buddhists congregate are either ethnic enclaves who don't want to call attention to their differences, or folks heavily into their self journey of detachment and not likely to show up at a demonstration with signs saying "Buddhists against the war!"

:) Living our faith, as not preaching but 'doing'.