Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Hunting Of The Satori.

CittaCitta Veteran
edited April 2013 in Arts & Writings
Once there was a hunter who greatly desired to catch the rare creature called the Satori.
He thought of little else. He went to sleep thinking of the Satori. He awoke thinking of the Satori.
Finally he set off to the forest where the Satori lived.
After many weeks he caught his first glimpse of the fabulous creature..and it then moved out of sight.
For days he kept glimpsing the animal..but when he started to approach it would slip away.
Finally he grew weary.
He took off his camouflage jacket and threw down his gloves and gave up.
He became aware that it was a warm beautiful afternoon.
He sat with his back to a tree trunk, closed his eyes and relaxed.
After a while he heard a noise..opening his eyes a little he saw the Satori..filled with curiosity , IT was approaching HIM..
CinorjerzenffThailandTomToshInvincible_summerInc88

Comments

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I really liked that. Are you the author?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Nah...I just tidied it up a little. :) Glad you like it. I think may have read it first in an old Middle Way Magazine decades ago, and I think it was not attributed then.
    Which probably means it was written by Pat, the saintly and ultramodest London Buddhist Society librarian.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I hope he kept his rifle within reach while he slept.
    Invincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Oh he didn't sleep..he woke up.
    blu3reeInvincible_summer
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Alan Watts tells this story in one of his lectures. I can't remember which one though. I think there is even an animation of it floating around the net.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    That would be interesting to see.
    Watts may have read it in the same mag...I met him at the London Buddhist Soc as it happens.
  • Citta said:

That would be interesting to see.
    Watts may have read it in the same mag...I met him at the London Buddhist Soc as it happens.

Did you speak with him at all or for any period of time? I have been intrigued by his story of how he escape his depression and anxiety, how did he come across as a person when you met him?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    He was a very urbane and very English chap....very witty.
    Yes I chatted with him over a sherry.
    I gather that later...but I did not witness this , DT Suzuki said to Christmas Humphreys.. " What DO you make of him ? ".
    ThailandTom
  • Citta said:

I gather that later...but I did not witness this , DT Suzuki said to Christmas Humphreys.. " What DO you make of him ? ".

hahaha I have made a silly silly error in identity, sorry it is probably due to the time here. I confused Mt Watts with somebody else. I know who you mean though, classic Western Buddhism.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    He published a well regarded introduction to Zen when he was 20 years old.....
  • Citta said:

He published a well regarded introduction to Zen when he was 20 years old.....

No I know who he is, I have seen a few talks and being a Brit myself, I can safely say he is the most typically British Buddhist I have ever seen lol. Classic Western form of teaching, I just got him mixed up with somebody else for a moment in my head :screwy:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I still think you are thinking of the wrong person. Watts was the the least typical of any British Buddhist of his generation. Hence Suzuki's remark to Humphreys.
  • Citta said:

I still think you are thinking of the wrong person. Watts was the the least typical of any British Buddhist of his generation. Hence Suzuki's remark to Humphreys.

Well I will be dammed, you have got me there Citta, I was thinking somebody else, again smh :facepalm:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Before his death he became a long haired sage living in Laurel Canyon... :)
  • Citta said:

Before his death he became a long haired sage living in Laurel Canyon... :)

yea I googled him earlier and realised I had been heading down the wrong path. I can't even remember the name of the first guy i confused him with, he was not even English but German, he lived in London for a while though. He isn't a Buddhist necessarily either...
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Guenther ?
  • Citta said:

Guenther ?

I don't think so, it is a name I will remember once I am aware of it. He basically has problems with serve depression throughout his life and one night whilst tossing and turning he contemplated the self (he had studied philosophy and psychology if I am not mistaken), and over night something clicked and he, by accounts, was cured and had a deep and profound insight. He then spent a lot of time sleeping rough in London despite having money, sleeping in Russel Square on benches etc. He did this for some months and seemed really happy, yet his family and friends though he had lost his mind. He went on to write some books about spirituality but does not conform to one religion. I still have not made up my mind on his actions and intentions, but I know all of this and can remember all of this, yet his name evades me!! :screwy: Sorry for derailing your thread, I really did like the OP, it is short but sweet and a fruit of knowledge/insight.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Citta said:

I suspect that you're a little bit of British Buddhist history, Citta.

Did you know Christmas Humphreys too? And DT Suzuki?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    The former yes...the latter I met, but would not say I knew.

Yes I am ancient. But not THAT ancient however. I was v. young back then. Now I am in my second childhood...
    Tosh
  • Citta said:

Guenther ?

I don't think so, it is a name I will remember once I am aware of it. He basically has problems with serve depression throughout his life and one night whilst tossing and turning he contemplated the self (he had studied philosophy and psychology if I am not mistaken), and over night something clicked and he, by accounts, was cured and had a deep and profound insight. He then spent a lot of time sleeping rough in London despite having money, sleeping in Russel Square on benches etc. He did this for some months and seemed really happy, yet his family and friends though he had lost his mind. He went on to write some books about spirituality but does not conform to one religion. I still have not made up my mind on his actions and intentions, but I know all of this and can remember all of this, yet his name evades me!! :screwy: Sorry for derailing your thread, I really did like the OP, it is short but sweet and a fruit of knowledge/insight.
    Eckart Tolle?
    ThailandTom
  • music said:

Citta said:

Guenther ?

Eckart Tolle?
    :clap: Thank you! That has been bugging me for a while, phew.