Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Female Buddhist monk walks a pioneering path"

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Nun !
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, from what I can find on the internet, in Thailand she is recognized as a Buddhist nun, not a monk.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I'm not sure what's "pioneering" about this particular nun. There have always been nuns in Thailand. Few have received full ordination, but that's been changing, as fully-ordained nuns from Taiwan have been traveling to SE Asia to ordain nuns there. I don't see why this particular nun was singled out for attention...? Maybe she's just one example of what fully-ordained nuns are doing in that country.
    As far as I am aware, no female Buddhist monks have been recognized by the Supreme Sangha in Thailand. Even "mae chee" in Thailand have no official standing.

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I heard that in the past year or three, nuns are getting more visitors to their few monasteries, and more morning-alms-round support than the monks.

The monk who reported this said it was because Thai laypeople were tired of the scandals and laziness surrounding some Thai monks.
    The nuns are seen as serious and devoted, whereas some monks gamble, smoke, and sit around in the courtyard listening to the football.
  • The nuns are seen as serious and devoted
    I always knew Ananda was right to persuade the Buddha to let in them wimmin . . .
    blu3reeVastmind
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Her mother decided to become a nun, but stayed with the family and combined her family and home life instead of abandoning her children (she apparently didn't have a father around). When it's her turn, she walks away from her husband when she became a nun, saying he was "confused but not angry"? If he loved her, he was not just confused, he was deeply hurt. He eventually remarried.

Is it normal in Thailand for husbands to walk away from their wives of many years to become monks? And how is this viewed in the society?
    Cinorjer said:

Is it normal in Thailand for husbands to walk away from their wives of many years to become monks? And how is this viewed in the society?

Is it normal? No. I'd say it's a rarity. Mostly monks are either older, long-established...OR...younger, almost every man does for a short while. I do know of men who will walk away from family life for a short time (let's say up to 3 months) to become monks. This is often in thanks for something (such as a long-childless couple who then had a child).

What's common is a husband having a "mia noi".

• vinlyn said:

Cinorjer said:

Is it normal? No. I'd say it's a rarity. Mostly monks are either older, long-established...OR...younger, almost every man does for a short while. I do know of men who will walk away from family life for a short time (let's say up to 3 months) to become monks. This is often in thanks for something (such as a long-childless couple who then had a child).

Ha! Had to look it up. A "minor wife" to go along with the main wife, huh? Sounds like a lot of work and expense to me.
    Invincible_summerVastmind
    Cinorjer said:

vinlyn said:

Cinorjer said:

Ha! Had to look it up. A "minor wife" to go along with the main wife, huh? Sounds like a lot of work and expense to me.
    And it's an appalling aspect of Thai male behavior. But of course, when you have the Crown Prince doing it openly, it's kinda tough changing minds.