Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A few questions about fishing

124»

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    @robot
    If we were more than monkeys in shoes, we'd actually pay serious attention to what behaviours prevent a harvest-able surplus as opposed to just taking whatever is possible right now. Your job must make you acutely aware of that.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    @how
    In the fishery I'm in right now we are working under a weak stock management type of system.
    No, or limited fishing on any stocks if there might be a component of the weakest stocks present in the mix. It sounds good on paper. Unfortunately, if the weakest stocks are suffering from factors that are not fishing related, such as disease passed on from fish farms, or marine mammal predation caused by exploding populations of seals and sea lions, then the continuing decline of those weak stocks will continue to prevent the harvest of increasingly abundant stocks that are unaffected by those problems. The result is situations like the electrocution of millions of sockeye upriver to prevent overspawning while outside trollers got nothing, like we saw in 2010.
    Don't get me started on re-allocation to the sports sector.
    Of course this post may not relate to your comment, but I wasn't really sure what you meant anyway.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@robot
    "It would come down to this. Is there a harvestable surplus or not?"

I was just saying that I think we will harvest whether there is a harvestable surplus or not because we demonstrate all the forethought and restraint of a monkey in shoes.
    One day I fear we will be mostly harvesting jellyfish.

as an aside
    As a kayaker, I am still shocked at the dead zones we paddle through after a fish farm has moved on to another bay.
    robot
  • woods93woods93 Explorer
    many will probably not agree with me. but i like to hunt and fish. when i catch something or kill something when hunting i eat it and dont waste anything. i dont do it for sport. could this be considered cruel? absolutely. but this is something my family and i bond over and i enjoy it.
  • I use to hunt and shoot animals. Learned to as a family thing when I was a kid. I continued for a few years after I grew up, but then I stopped. Too difficult to kill. Although I am not especially bothered by others that hunt. People still have to eat. Circle of life and all.

I still fish sometimes. Although lately I seem to be cheering for the fish a lot. :)

For me it is about getting out into the water. Not just as an observer but becoming part of the environment. Nature is our nature. Fishing provides me the motivation to get my lazy butt out and experience it. Awareness allows me to appreciate it.

Nature (life) may appear to be cruel and unfair or it may appear that all things are happening just as they are supposed to happen. Dependently originated

Best Wishes