Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Intelligence Squared - Science refutes God

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2013 in Faith & Religion
This is a debate from Intelligence Squared that poses the topic Science refutes God. On the pro side are Lawrence Krauss professor and author of A Universe From Nothing and Michael Shermer founding editor of Skeptic magazine. On the other side are Dinesh D'Souza author of What's So Great About Christianity and Ian Hutchinson professor at MIT. Both sides made good points and in my opinion won certain aspects of the debate. I really enjoyed this debate, Andy McDowell even makes a cameo. :)

http://intelligencesquaredus.org/iq2-tv/item/785-science-refutes-god

Intelligence Squared has lots of other really good debates on a wide range of topics from Men Are Finished to Legalize Drugs to When It Comes To Politics, The Internet Is Closing Our Minds. The moderator, John Donvan of ABC news, poses a topic at the start and the audience votes whether they are in favor, opposed or undecided towards it, the debate occurs and at the end the audience votes again and the side that changes the most minds is declared the winner.

The unedited debates generally run a little over an hour and a half, there are edited audio version that air on public radio that run in around 50 minutes too. To get the video go to the IQ2.TV tab and pick a debate from there.

http://intelligencesquaredus.org/iq2-tv

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    So this is the edited debate, follow the initial link for the unedited one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1VTMs7PSIM4
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    So one side says science disproves God and the other isn't necessarily saying there is a God but is refuting that science disproves God?
  • Like comparing apples and generosity.
    Science is about how. God is about why.
    DaftChrisInvincible_summerriverflowblu3ree
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited April 2013

Like comparing apples and generosity.

You got it! And I don't think some people get that distinction.

riverflow
  • And that leaves who, what, where and when for us humans.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    We have, how did the particles multiply? Yet to be answered....

And, how did the first particle come to be?

Like comparing apples and generosity.

Yeah, that is very much the argument Dinesh D'Souza makes.

For the record I was on the side against the motion and wasn't moved off that opinion, but I still thought it was interesting and informative to hear the thoughts back and forth.
    shanyin said:

So one side says science disproves God and the other isn't necessarily saying there is a God but is refuting that science disproves God?

I suppose that pretty much sums it up. I guess the interesting part is hearing and considering the arguments and reasons both sides use to support their views. To me the fun part of the IQ2 debates is that they record the audiences opinions before and after and see who has changed the most minds.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I watched it; I like those debates. Hitchens was my favourite though simply because he was funny and rude. Not very 'Buddhist' I know, and I know he also gave Buddhism a drubbing too. Meh!
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Hitchens was my favourite though simply because he was funny and rude.
    I'm actually opposite of you. I never liked Hitchens because of how rude he was. We live in a society where there is a mentality of "if one is intelligent, then that gives one a free pass to be an a**hole". I did agree with him that fundamentalism at its core is dangerous, but I still am not a fan of him or the other "horsemen".
    blu3reeInvincible_summer
  • Let's assume there IS a "God". A great creator of all things in the universe. Making that assumption, let's move on to the assumption that because this God did not ever, and probably will not ever provide us (humans) with any sort of indisputable PROOF of his existence..... wouldn't it be safe to say we should not be wasting so much precious time of our lives talking about his existence, pondering his existence, arguing his existence, or trying to behave in certain ways just in case of his existence?
    I think it's safe to say....

If we could put a monetary value on each adult human life - let's set that value at 10 million dollars, ok? -- what would be the wise thing to do; stash it away and spend a lifetime trying to figure out where that 10 million came from, how long will it last, will there be more if you spend it all, how should it be shared- or not shared with others, is there a right way to spend it or a wrong way to spend it..... or should you just LIVE day to day as best you can, knowing what is expected from you morally and ethically anyway (because our societies set most of those rules anyhow), using that money wisely but freely to accomplish a happy, productive, healthy life for you and your families? I vote for the latter.

Frankly, I don't think God gives a crap if you believe in him or not. I think that's totally missing his point- IF he does exist. (And no, I don't think he does, anyway).
    stavros388
  • All-

I just re-read my post above. It comes off as a bit 'snooty' .... or 'snotty'... either way, not so nice. I'm sorry 'bout that.
    I promise I didn't mean to come off that way. I still stand by what I said, but I was typing it in a much more 'gentle' tone than comes across, I swear! :o

• SimonSimon Explorer

That sounds pretty profound, but I'm not sure if I agree.

Debates such as these, relating to the incompatibility of science and faith, wouldn't be so frequent if God didn't so often intrude into the arena of 'how.' Look at the Christian view on creation for example; the claim that God began the universe IS a scientific claim.
    person
  • That's like saying "science refutes Nirvana." Its silly. Consider an ants intelligence compared to a humans intelligence. Consider human intelligence compared to the complexity of the cosmos...and compare the vast though limited cosmos to the possibility of a God. Creates humility.
    stavros388
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Science refutes God? HA!
    It is not possible to refute an unfalsifiable conjecture.
    Simonstavros388
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited April 2013
    science is nice only for magnifying an aspect, because in doing so it excludes all the surounding influence outside of its measureable field of data- in short, science should do what it does best and stick to oversimplifying things, because the big picture will never fit into its very limited frame of refrence.
    riverflow
  • SimonSimon Explorer
    Science is all about the big picture, and it's certainly not about oversimplifying things. There's not just one scientific discipline, although they of course rely on the same methods, it's diverse. If you read the right books, you'll find science writers who are in awe of life and the universe in the same way I'm sure you are. When it comes to seeking truth, the scientific approach is unrivaled
  • Yes, science writers are often in awe. They're not often interested in truth, however, and regularly say that science is not about truth but best theories. This is rivaled by Buddhist practice, which is not about best theories but truth.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    When it comes to seeking, its ALL good. When it comes to finding...
  • SimonSimon Explorer
    edited April 2013
    Yeah when it comes to finding 'truth', completely unfounded religious views give the willingly ignorant a much greater sense of satisfaction than actual facts.
    Science is best reserved for those of us who want to progress our understanding of the universe methodically and intelligently. Religion is for those who want to jump the gun and have all the answers now, even when they just aren't available
    Florian said:

science writers are often in awe. They're not often interested in truth, however, and regularly say that science is not about truth but best theories

How can you get to know truth without theory? An unchallenged theory is truth. Certainty doesn't get any better than that. Science is all about acquiring understanding, and subsequently truth.
    Can I stop saying truth now?

Also I don't see how Buddhist practice in any way clashes with science, they go hand in hand if anything. And just to better frame what I've said above, I don't consider Buddhism to be a religion in the same sense as Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism and the rest. Buddhism is based on discourse, whereas most other belief systems have a fundamental element of unchangeable dogma. In this sense, Buddhism shares something with science; it is flexible and embraces change and development in understanding
    edited April 2013
    Simon said:

Yeah when it comes to finding 'truth', completely unfounded religious views give the willingly ignorant a much greater sense of satisfaction than actual facts.
    Science is best reserved for those of us who want to progress our understanding of the universe methodically and intelligently. Religion is for those who want to jump the gun and have all the answers now, even when they just aren't available

Florian said:

science writers are often in awe. They're not often interested in truth, however, and regularly say that science is not about truth but best theories

How can you get to know truth without theory? An unchallenged theory is truth. Certainty doesn't get any better than that. Science is all about acquiring understanding, and subsequently truth.
    Can I stop saying truth now?

Also I don't see how Buddhist practice in any way clashes with science, they go hand in hand if anything. And just to better frame what I've said above, I don't consider Buddhism to be a religion in the same sense as Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism and the rest. Buddhism is based on discourse, whereas most other belief systems have a fundamental element of unchangeable dogma. In this sense, Buddhism shares something with science; it is flexible and embraces change and development in understanding
    I like what Alan Wallace has to say on truth, science, empiricism and using refined introspection to investigate consciousness. 17:30 in total length.

• SimonSimon Explorer
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I definitely err on the side of 'scientific materialism.' I also don't really see a distinction between 'the physical and the mental' because in my view, and the view of others obviously, consciousness is the product of physical processes.

I don't think he's correct in saying that science has tried to fit our understanding into certain parameters. In fact, science constantly redefines it's parameters as theory progresses. His assertion that a wholly physical or materialist model of the universe amounts to 'a form of idolatry' is a little off the mark. It's simply the dominant understanding because of what the evidence suggests.

I really like what he says in the second video though.
    'All phenomena are empty of any inherent nature or identity of their own. All phenomena arise relative to the means by which the phenomena themselves are apprehended.'

In that, light, colour, sound, vision etc only exist for us a perception apprehended by our senses. There's loads of stuff in physics relating to those ideas, that the way we perceive the universe is limited. I guess we evolved to survive on the surface of earth, not to comprehend the universe. It's just good that our brains got so much more developed than necessary for the task in hand and we have opportunity to discuss these things!
    Simon said:

I also don't really see a distinction between 'the physical and the mental' because in my view, and the view of others obviously, consciousness is the product of physical processes.

This is really the crux of the issue. Currently there is no test or measure for consciousness or qualia really. There is an assumption that consciousness arises from matter but no actual verifiable test or workable theory that shows this or explains how it happens. Many who view consciousness as arising from matter will dismiss all of our daily experience as an illusion.

What Wallace talks about that I really like is using the methods of the contemplative traditions to use a trained and refined introspection to observe our first person view of our mind. He's compared our everyday minds to that of a trained contemplative to Galileo mounting his telescope on a moving camel in a desert storm and saying there's nothing to see here, lets move on.
  • SimonSimon Explorer
    edited April 2013
    Well that's always a problematic stage in the formulation of scientific understanding. For example, look at the field of epigenetics. Scientists can observe the effects of epigenetics, but are still working hard to discover the exact mechanics of the process.

I really recommend to you Steven Pinker's book, How The Mind Works. He's a brilliant writer, and in this book he very effectively brings the reader up to date on where science is at with understanding the relationship between physical processes which occur in the brain, and consciousness itself. I've been reading it in my uni library over the last few weeks in the gaps between my lectures, really interesting stuff
    I'm not all that interested here in trying to sort out if physicalism is the truth of things or not but I think its important to get across one point to be sure that we're actually talking about the same thing. That thing is qualia, the inner movie of sights, sounds, sensations that we all experience all the time. What I'm not saying is that our thoughts and feelings aren't dictated by the brain, I agree that they are, but what I'm asking is why do we have this ephemeral experience of these things at all, why aren't we merely philosophical zombies. The reality of this is what is often denied by materialist philosophers and neuroscientists.

When mystics who have spent 10s of thousands of hours observing this phenomena say there is more to it than the brain, I'm willing to believe them.
  • I consider philosophy to be the path to truth. Science is a branch of philosophy. To be good at philosophy you definitely need to have a scientific attitude, but I also think you need to be creative, and perhaps even religious in a general sense (like in the sense Einstein used the word). In my opinion, both popular science and popular religion are corrupt at this time.
    riverflowDaftChris
  • Simon said:

And for some people religion deals with concepts and issues that science doesn't (at least not at this time). Religion may speak to personal experiences that can't be proven in laboratory conditions, yet are real and meaningful to the individual. I admit that I get a little tired of the constant science vs religion dichotomy, as if someone can't be both religious and intelligent at the same time. There are many people who both accept modern science and are religious. There are also people who do hide behind their religious beliefs and use them as an excuse for poor thinking and behavior. However, the same can be said for those claiming to be rationally minded. In other words, it's a human problem not a religious issue per say.

Also, Buddhism has it's share of religious elements and faith -- there are a lot of different schools, some indeed do look an awful lot like religion. One does not have to embrace all of that, but I would beware of overgeneralizing. Buddhism does overall get along quite well with modern science, I agree. Yet, I think sometimes people can be so eager to conflate the two, that the sense of what Buddhism is and contains can get a bit skewed.
    personriverflow
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting! Thank you!
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Simon said:

It is true that some people adopt unfounded religious views as a substitute for discovering the facts. But I doubt you'll find any of them on this forum. You seem to have a low view of religion. It's perfectly possible to take an intelligent and methodical approach to religion and not to jump any guns. I agree, of course, that some people do not take such an approach.
    Well, this is not what scientists say about science. Science is not about truth, it is about theories. Theories cannot be true or false, only better or worse. This is the usual view in science. Theories may be more or less consistent with truth, but truth is never a theory. Science will never tell us what is true, only what works. In this it is the same as metaphysics. For truth a different approach would be required.

Was it Plato who said that physics is never more than a likely story? One of those famous Greeks anyway. This is exactly what it is. The task for physics is to make the story more and more likely. Truth and falsity is another issue entirely.

Pardon me if this is argumentative. It seems an important point.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Florian said:

It is true that some people adopt unfounded religious views as a substitute for discovering the facts. But I doubt you'll find any of them on this forum. ... It's perfectly possible to take an intelligent and methodical approach to religion and not to jump any guns. I agree, of course, that some people do not take such an approach.

Well, this is not what scientists say about science. Science is not about truth, it is about theories. Theories cannot be true or false, only better or worse. This is the usual view in science. Theories may be more or less consistent with truth, but truth is never a theory. Science will never tell us what is true, only what works. In this it is the same as metaphysics. For truth a different approach would be required.

Was it Plato who said that physics is never more than a likely story? One of those famous Greeks anyway. This is exactly what it is. The task for physics is to make the story more and more likely. Truth and falsity is another issue entirely.

"some people adopt unfounded religious views"? Some??? Within Buddhism we can't even agree on major points of our religion, hence the various schools of Buddhism. On this forum we are VERY divided and intense on topics like eating meat, rebirth, and karma.

As a person who is degreed in the sciences, your view of science is rather outdated. It's sort of how scientific thought begins, but we now tend to get to the follow-through and application. And if you don't think your view of science is outdated, then why are you quoting someone about science who lived over 2,000 years ago? Things have changed a tad bit since then.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry @vinyl but I don't understand your objections. My view of scientific theories and truth is orthodox and permanent. It cannot become outdated. Scientists are always quick, and rightly so, to correct people when they start talking about true and false scientific theories. They are better or worse, not true or false. Science really is a likely story, and this is what it's supposed to be. It was true 2000 years ago and still is. (I'm not 'degreed' in science by the way, just an interested spectator.)

Yes, we all disgree about the details of our religious views and conjectures. But we are examining them by disagreeing. It is research. To adopt an unfounded view as a substitute for discovering the facts not something any Buddhist does. It is beside the point that Buddhists may disagree about the details. So do scientists and philosophers. But the method requires that they do not adopt views as a substitute for discovering the facts. This would be to abandon the method.

This is true for science and for some religions, and so I could not agree with Simon when he wrote, "Science is best reserved for those of us who want to progress our understanding of the universe methodically and intelligently. Religion is for those who want to jump the gun and have all the answers now, even when they just aren't available."

This is a slur on religion based on the approach of certain religious people, not that of religion in general, and it even says that the answers 'just aren't available' in direct opposition to the Buddha and Buddhist doctrine in general.