Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Platinum Rule

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2013 in Philosophy

http://www.alessandra.com/abouttony/aboutpr.asp

This is an idea put forward by Dr. Tony Alexander, the idea is put forward within a how to succeed in business model. The basic idea is about understanding other people and giving them what suits them and fits their needs rather than giving them what we would like for ourselves.

IMO it essentially inserts wisdom into the golden rule.

I guess I'm just putting this out there because I like the idea and am interested to hear what others think about it.
Invincible_summer

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
  • That is the meaning of The Golden Rule too :) For it to make sense, you ought not put other people in your shoes, but put yourself in theirs
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    edited April 2013
    This puts the golden rule to shame.
  • The Platinum Rule would supposes one might be able to figure out what the other person would like to have done to them. Our only reference point is ourselves , hence the Golden Rule.
    This reminds me of a line from Hamlet: " you would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops.." The Platinum Rule smacks of manipulation and at best is unwieldy .
    If you attempt to see into the other , you will only see yourself.
  • Good rule. Empathy is not saying, "I wouldn't do that if I was you".
  • Does it really give rise to a win-win situation? It is really saying "I am going to take care of you as you see fit."

So then the bamboo acrobat said this to his assistant Medakathalika:
    "You look after me, my dear Medakathalika, and I'll look after you.
    Thus with us looking after one another, guarding one another,
    we'll show off our craft, receive some payment,
    and safely climb down the bamboo pole."

This being said, the assistant Medakathalika said this to the bamboo acrobat:
    "That will not do at all, master!
    You look after yourself, master, and I will look after myself.
    Thus with each of us looking after ourselves, guarding ourselves,
    we'll show off our craft, receive some payment,
    and safely climb down from the bamboo pole.
    That's the right way to do it!"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.019.olen.html
  • Hmm, what others may like you to do unto them could be harmful to them. But for doing business it's probably a good rule.
  • Few businesses approach marketing in any other way. It's the text book marketing approach. Find out what people want and give it to them. It's all about understanding ones customers. Not sure why Dr. Tony thinks it needs saying.