Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantras & Stuff Whilst Sick

So when you are ill and laying there feeling crummy, does anybody know any short but effective mantras or things of that nature to recite back to yourself? Apart from understanding that this will pass and change in one way or another, I need to try and bring my mind back to sanity know and then at the moment.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    If I feel the need to direct my thought in a spiritual direction, with each breath I recite one of the three refuges.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If you mean like official Sanskrit mantras there is Medicine Buddha

http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/bhaishajyaguru-medicine-buddha-mantra

And it doesn't get any shorter than Avalokiteshvara

http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/avalokitesvara

Unofficially I imagine any short phrase that you can lock onto that speaks to you such as 'this too shall pass' or 'you're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you.'
  • So when you are ill and laying there feeling crummy, does anybody know any short but effective mantras or things of that nature to recite back to yourself?

Just breathe... (if you can!) and try to stay focused on that.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well @ThailandTom -- I was wondering where you've been lately.

Sending lots of metta your way...
    ericcris10sen
  • Thank you for the advice and links everyone.
  • Sometimes when I am ill, I use it as an opportunity to contemplate on the first noble truth. In this way, we turn an unfortunate circumstance into one which is beneficial.
    If you do it with the right frame of mind, it won't make you sad or depressed. On the contrary, by contemplating the fact that suffering is simply an unavoidable part of life, we can learn to react to it with more equanimity through acceptance rather than reacting to it with too much aversion (wanting it to go away). We can still wish to be free from suffering, but it is becomes more balanced when there is no strong aversion for suffering. Thereby, the mind becomes less agitated and more calm and still.

If you like chanting, I recommend you refer to pages 12 - 17 of the following document which contains the reflections on detachments from worldly miseries in romanized Pali with English translation. If it is too long for you, you can choose just the parts you like most.

atamma.org/pdf/SundayMorningChanting.pdf

• The last section of the avatamsaka sutra. It's very long but it is supposed to clear the way for getting more and more opportunities and signals to awaken.
  • Medicine Buddha, he's blue . . .
    http://dharma-haven.org/tibetan/sadhana-medicine-buddha.htm

:wave: