Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Requesting Three Refuges and Five Precepts

FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
edited April 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I am just reading up on making a formal commitment to Buddhism and it talks about requesting the Three Refuges and Five Precepts from a monk or nun.

What actually happens? My 'local' monastery is a two hour drive away, would I be expected to attend frequently?

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    For me it took (learning and) reciting the appropriate Pali formula in front of the monk.
    There were no further obligations that I remember.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Contact them and ask.

Some monasteries encourage folks to attend a specific retreat that focuses on the refuges & precepts and culminates with your asking & receiving of them

Expecting you to attend frequently be unusual but I'm sure they would like it.
  • how said:

Some monasteries encourage folks to attend a specific retreat that focuses on the refuges & precepts and culminates with your asking & receiving

There lies the problem. My partner is a fixed in her mind and has banned me from attending retreats whereas I can't see a problem with say a one off weekend or something.
  • According to the Jewel Ornament of Liberation, A Tibetan Buddhist text covering the whole Buddhist path, one can take refuge on their own and there are instructions how to do it in the text.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I merely asked my teacher. He wrote me a letter of recommendation, and I was allowed to participate in the refuge retreat.
  • karasti said:

It is sad to see your partner forbids you from doing anything. What reason do they give for forbidden an adult from participating in something that is meaningful to them? Is it only retreats because of the longer time period?

I have asked her why and she can't give me a reason. I have asked her to think about as it something I will probably want to do in the future.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    (I had to modify the attachment, so it's in this post.....)
  • Federica, thank you for sharing this. May I use this?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Please do. That's why I posted it.
    Hope it's useful!

:thumbsup:

Actually, the document is STILL inaccurate!! See post below this one!!
    (disregard previous effort!)
    Here is the (final!) amended version.
    I think it's ok now!!
    Invincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I want to add that while I took my refuge vows with my teacher in a small ceremony with our sangha (we have no such thing as a Buddhist monastery or temple here, lol) I recite my refuge vows at least one daily before I meditate, and often times throughout the day when I need a reminder on how to conduct myself or get through a moment of dissatisfaction.
    riverflow
  • federica said:

First of all, touching on the personal, if I may be so bold - your partner has neither the right, nor the power to prevent you from doing anything of this kind.

if you have acceded to her wishes, then you're simply complying 'for the quiet life'.
    Not because she is either preventing you, or because you agree with her.

So your compliance is yours to own....

Secondly, most reactions like hers are founded on Fear and Ignorance.

She is suspicious of something, and it's probably something she knows nothing about.
    Is she a church-going Christian, may I ask?

As my partner she does have some say on things that may have an impact on the day to day running of our life partnership but as you say, she has no right or power to prevent me from doing anything.

As I have already said, I have asked her why she feels the way she does and acknowledges that she doesn't know and it may just be uncertainty of what she doesn't know.

I am not complying but I am choosing to approach the situation in a calm manner and find the root of the objection, at a time that is not going to cause a confrontation and is more likely to have a positive outcome for both sides rather than just say that I am going whether she likes it or not.

This approach has worked out in a positive way, I am going along hopefully this weekend with her agreement. She has always listened and encouraged my belief and this way she remains open minded rather than it causing a confronation and it becoming my thing and the cause of a schism.