Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cover of "Nowhere Man"

I was digging around on my computer looking for something else but came across this (rather bad quality) video of my introspective cover of the Beatles' "Nowhere Man" I made last year.

(Take a sad song and make it sadder, eh?)

zombiegirlswaydamnenkohaisovanlightenStraight_Man

Comments

• Touching to my inner nowhere man.
    riverflowsova
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    It reminds me of the Yellow Submarine cartoon I grew up watching. In the cartoon, the Nowhere Man's name was actually Jeremy... Always thought that was an odd choice...
    riverflowsova
  • Like it. Nice gtr chords. Always liked this song. But why all the hiss? No need for that in the 21st century.
    riverflowsova
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    @riverflow - nice... I like it. Reminiscent of early Bob Dylan. :thumbsup:
    riverflowsova
  • Wow... nicely done, riverflow! I like it!
    riverflowsova
  • Loved it! I have been learning to play these past two years . I appreciate your expertise and lovely rendition.
    riverflowsova
  • Thank you, everyone!
    sndymorn said:

Loved it! I have been learning to play these past two years . I appreciate your expertise and lovely rendition.

I'm not a very good guitarist in terms of technical proficiency. I like to use a lot of alternate tunings though which opens a lot of new harmonic possibilities though (EADGAD being the one I often use).

For covers I usually like to do it quite different from the original to bring out some aspect of the song rather than try to re-duplicate the feel of the original. That used to not be uncommon. Aretha Franklin's "Eleanor Rigby" and Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends" are approached entirely differently, for example. Why would I want to hear a cover played exactly the same way with the same arrangements, etc. A well-written song should be capable of new interpretations.
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited April 2013
    If I tune my guitar to EADGAD am I in danger of breaking strings? I'd like to try it . Up to now, all I have experimented with is the " drop D " tuning.
    I agree that covers must be new, so to speak. One thing I dislike is a cover band trying to sound like the original . I just do not see the point in all the work one must do to produce the sound when , with a little more effort, one could put one's own twist to it. That is what I want to hear.
    riverflow
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Having recently collided paths with a record player in my new life, appreciation for the graininess. it is top notch and welcome :)
    riverflow
  • sndymorn said:

If I tune my guitar to EADGAD am I in danger of breaking strings? I'd like to try it . Up to now, all I have experimented with is the " drop D " tuning.

No, all that involves is dropping the high B and high E string down one step. I play more with that tuning than the traditional EADGBE -- so the "normal" way of tuning is really more "alternate" for me haha