Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

109 year old man 5 foods to eat

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
This man looks amazing for 109. Says the 5 foods to eat are:

"Garlic, olive oil, cinnamon, chocolate and honey, you'll never get sick"

I've been kind of fantasizing about eating really healthy. I'm moving into a new apartment in a week and it has awsome kitchen space.

Thought I'd share this gem.

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I heard of an old lady who died at 104, and she said she lived so long because she drank a lot of whiskey and smoked just two cigarettes a day.
    Lucy_Begoodsova
  • I hear his dad prefers rare steak and a good Chianti . . .
    Toshzombiegirl
  • My Grandma used to say the secret to living a long time was to choose your parents carefully and the rest was dumb luck.
    Lucy_Begoodsova
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    shanyin said:

olive oil.. chocolate and honey

Interestingly, those three are classed as "medicines" instead of proper food, by modern theravada vinaya experts.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    garlic and cinnamon have good health properties as well. Olive oil however actually becomes unhealthy if you cook it at too high of a temperature.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Wow. You guys did I not even post the link?

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/109-year-old-mesa-man-credits-health-to-5-foods

Yeah I've also heard of someone over 100 who actually smoked her whole life.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    my grandma is 87 and she smoked for more than 60 years and never has had cancer. She was hospitalized long-term for a colon problem (which still could have been related to her smoking) and as a resulted she ended up quitting! I'm pretty sure that she is going to outlive all of us. And she lives on diet coke and canned pasta, lol. Go figure.
    lol who knows. have to admit though this guy looks good for 109
    I meant to post this in Diet and Habits so if a moderator could move it please :).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I listened to Yogi speaking about Ayurveda medicine, on the radio some time ago, and he stated that if one were forced to choose three food basic products to live on, he would recommend olives, apples and almonds. These three foods contain all the necessary components to survive, healthily.

Bit boring though..... :D
    Lucy_Begood
  • Physical activity is the key to a long and healthy life, not food.
  • kokorokokoro Explorer
    kowtaaia said:

Physical activity is the key to a long and healthy life, not food.

Mmm, don't know about that, of course being active contributes but i think nutrition plays a huge part, if you want your physical activity to benefit health and longevity, proper nutrition will aid that, healthy inside - healthy outside.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Is there a link? Is it in the News?
  • kokorokokoro Explorer
    shanyin said:

Wow. You guys did I not even post the link?

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/109-year-old-mesa-man-credits-health-to-5-foods

Yeah I've also heard of someone over 100 who actually smoked her whole life.

Here it is.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    shanyin said:

This man looks amazing for 109. Says the 5 foods to eat are:

"Garlic, olive oil, cinnamon, chocolate and honey, you'll never get sick"

But not all at once. :werr:
    lobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Cinnamon helps the body control blood sugar, so I guess that would compensate for consuming honey and chocolate....
  • kokorokokoro Explorer
    I'd say, when it comes to eating chocolate you'd be best sticking to dark, as in 75% + because otherwise it's more refined (confectionary) and the health benefits would be negated.
    Very dark chocolate doesn't have the sweet melt in your mouth taste but you do get used to it, if you're really looking for a healthy alternative, try cacao (nibs or powder), once again a bitter taste in comparison to choc or cocoa, but heaps better for you
    shanyin