Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chicken and egg koan

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited April 2013 in General Banter
I think the west has a koan that is dismissed as trite but has a nugget of wisdom.

What came first the chicken or egg?

I'll give my response after you guys, well if nobody answers then maybe not! If this is your koan what do you think? Maybe at least take 3 breaths letting things be (at least) before answering. Humor welcome but I am not kidding I have a nugget from this. Insignificant mini nugget samadhi. Hmmmm I think McDs chicken nugget mandala has hit me! Why do I think only of dipping sauces?

Comments

• The chicken, because it could cross the road.
    And to make the answer more Buddhist, if it were a river instead of a road, it would have taken a raft.
    zombiegirl
  • Good answer, but how does the chickens abilities relate to the egg? What gave the chicken power to make eggs? Why hadn't the chicken come from an egg and thus egg before chicken?
  • The egg, which came from an almost-but-not-quite chicken.

No wisdom here, I'm afraid. :)
  • Makes sense. Maybe wisdom, but not exciting.
  • Eggs always come first ... during breakfast.
    Or is this the wrong koan?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Chicken BBQ omelet can be a double header?
  • Nugget (plop):

The egg is nominally a chicken egg based on having come from a chicken. Since the egg is nominally of a chicken so the chicken is a chicken.

The chicken is nominally defined as one who lays chicken eggs by definition. So whatever we mentally label a chicken does in fact lay chicken eggs.

Thus immediately on declaring a chicken we have declared all eggs and vice versa.

Dependent Origination
    zombiegirlzenffJohn_SpencerBeej
  • What came first the chicken or egg?
    The cockerel ;)
  • cockerel indeed!

rooster photo: Rooster rooster.jpg
    TheEccentric
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Chickens are amazing <3, Enough said lol :)
    riverflow
  • Jeffrey said:

Nugget (plop):

The egg is nominally a chicken egg based on having come from a chicken. Since the egg is nominally of a chicken so the chicken is a chicken.

The chicken is nominally defined as one who lays chicken eggs by definition. So whatever we mentally label a chicken does in fact lay chicken eggs.

Thus immediately on declaring a chicken we have declared all eggs and vice versa.

Dependent Origination

Kensho. Its what's for breakfast.
  • This seems to be a koan for the same reason as the more cosmological question 'Which came first - Something or Nothing?
  • "What came first, the chicken or the egg?"

"Why did Bodhidharma come from the West?"

Same koan. Same response.

The oak tree in the backyard.

lamaramadingdong
  • Both arise dependent upon conditions, parts, and imputation.

Thus there is no true point or arrival, abiding, or ending. Just causes/conditions.

The chicken depends on a mind/body to project onto various colors which makes shapes and a collection of shapes which hit light and make form. We identify that pattern and project chickenness onto the color, shape, form.

This is why there can only be a beginning, middle, and end in the form of conventions. Reality experienced is quite different than our conceptual understanding.

Conceptual understanding always see's things, which affirms something or nothing. Reality is dependent arising, thus having nothing to do with something or nothing.
    sova
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I always take the koans literally when I probably shouldn't... When asked about the tree in the forest I say no. It doesn't make a sound, it makes a sound wave that isn't considered a sound unless it reverberates off of an ear drum.

For the chicken and the egg, we have to define what exactly makes a chicken a chicken and what makes an egg an egg. How far back in evolution did the chicken deserve a new label and how hard does the protective layer over a preborn chick have to be to be considered an egg?

I'd say there was always the potential for both chickens and eggs and the difference could be likened to the difference between ice and steam.

I've heard it said that everything that ever existed or ever will exist exists right now. If the conditions are right, the chicken and egg cycle will manifest and if not, it will be hidden.
    Jeffrey
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    At Easter I helped my niece and nephews decorate Easter eggs then we had chicken for dinner.

In this case the egg came first. :orange:
    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The egg did come first.

To make it simple, egg-laying creatures, evolutionarily speaking, existed long before any animals we could identify as chickens, did.
    An animal evolved into the chickens we know, love (and often eat) today.
    The eggs stayed pretty much the same....

therefore, the 'egg' came along, long before the 'chicken' did.
  • edited May 2013
    A student asked in dokusan, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"

Suzuki Roshi answered, "It doesn't matter."

from Zen is Right Here
    riverflowpersonlobsterBeej
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    For

"It doesn't matter"

read,

"Jeezuskerrist, nearly 3000 years of Buddhist wisdom, and all you wanna know is whether a falling tree is noisy?? jeesh!"
    riverflowlamaramadingdongCinorjerVastmind
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    The egg came 1st, there were never a chicken
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    It's quite obvious that aliens came to this planet and genetically engineered dinosaurs to mine gold. The result of this process was the chicken. Now, let me point you to the pyramids. Burial places for ancient kings, right? Wrong, these are actually giant chicken coops built to house the mega chicken giants! Your history is a lie!
    JeffreypersonBeej
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Takuan, sounds like Robert Anton Wilson book.
  • Chicken, egg, chicken, egg, ad nauseum.
    Who cares? Just stop.
    Jeffrey
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

@Takuan, sounds like Robert Anton Wilson book.

I was actually watching an episode of "Ancient Aliens" when I wrote it. lol
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @pegembara, gangaji says her teacher papaji gave her the instruction to 'just stop'. Sounds like it is a very profound dharma teachign, but what does it mean?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Dinosaurs laid eggs, so eggs came before chickens.
  • Jeffrey said:

@pegembara, gangaji says her teacher papaji gave her the instruction to 'just stop'. Sounds like it is a very profound dharma teachign, but what does it mean?

Don't know anything about gangaji or papaji.

A similar simile is that of a flag waving in the wind and 2 monks arguing that it was the wind that moved or the flag. Their master then told them it was their mind that moved.

It means everything starts from the mind (mind is the fore-runner). Reality is nothing moved. Only the mind and depending on which way it moves both viewpoints are "right". Ignorance is condition for fabrications. The mind fabricates things. So the ultimate question is what happens when the mind stops fabricating.
    Jeffrey
  • “Sir,” he said, “there are people stuck midstream in the
    terror and the fear of the rush of the river of being, and death
    and decay overwhelm them. For their sakes, Sir, tell me where
    to find an island, tell me where there is solid ground beyond
    the reach of all this pain.”

“Kappa,” said the Master, “for the sake of those people
    stuck in the middle of the river of being, overwhelmed by
    death and decay, I will tell you where to find solid ground.
    “There is an island, an island which you cannot go beyond.
    It is a place of no-thingness, a place of non-possession and of
    non-attachment. It is the total end of death and decay, and this
    is why I call it Nibbana [the extinguished, the cool].

“There are people who, in mindfulness, have realized this
    and are completely cooled here and now. They do not become
    slaves working for Mara, for Death; they cannot fall into his
    power.”

~ SN 1092–5
    Jeffreyperson
  • Grabs egg and throws it against the wall...
    Vastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    ^^^so in that riverflow there will be no chicken :)
    VastmindriverflowCinorjer
  • :om:
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    The answer (in relation to koans or searching for 'meaning' etc) in and about life is; "..we will never know.. So....."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    zenmyste, what kind of 'knowing' are you pointing to. I ask because I think you are onto something, but I also see value in searching in yourself for an answer.
    riverflow
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Just came across this and remembered this thread. They unbelievably answer the question. :wow:

Vastmind
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    The Egg !!! What gave birth to the egg was not a chicken. Evolution lol
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    EGGxactly. :rockon:
    Jeffrey