Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about incense

random off the wall question...

is there a traditional type of incense that is used in zen? or does the scent not matter as long as japanese incense is used?

personaly i use sandalwood by a company called nipon kodo the "morning star" type and smells amazing.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nag Champa is the absolute best...... I love it.....
    DaltheJigsawriverflowInvincible_summer
  • I don't think there is an "official" kind of incense except I do think that the type is typically stick incense.

Sticks are too messy for me so I use cones and I have found Kamini's frankincense lovely (a slight sweet smell). Their sandalwood is good too. I get it via Amazon.
    Invincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I use an aroma lamp. I like peppermint which is a stimulant of the throat chakra I have read. Sandalwood is also a favoite. Sandalwood and vanilla both affect creativity in the sense of doing rather than thinking, the sense feel. I'm not sure if the book I read is not true but I tend to think nobody would write a whole book as a scam and the rest of the book was compassionate and vital/wholesome.
  • the ones i use are super thin and about 3 inches. Not messy at all like the ones that have a stem.
    riverflowInvincible_summerTheEccentric
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    My experience is that there are several different incenses used in Zen. Most are not as intrusive as the dime-store incense that is widely available. But the better it gets, the more it costs so it's often up to the individual. I buy from Shoyeido in Colorado and use Gozan ... a bit too strong, but pretty good stuff.

Incense is like all the other gadgets in formal practice -- a means of drawing attention ... without being too noisy about it. Or anyway, that's my take.
    Invincible_summerriverflow
  • I've often wondered if incense is intregal to practice or if it just reflects the reality of the times when it was first used- to cover the smell of death, disease, poor sanitation conditions, etc.
    Anyone here know its history? I do use it and like it, but my inquiring mind wants to know.
    riverflow
  • kokorokokoro Explorer
    federica said:

Nag Champa is the absolute best...... I love it.....

Love this also, but i don't burn any while meditating as i find it distracting, but rather burn it in the morning and the evening as it seems to remind me of maintaining mindfulness.

• good question lama....hmm...now im wondering the same.
    I do know from experience different scents sets off different mind sets and for me sandal wood helps to feel calm and tranquil where as lavender helps me sleep
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Incense has different effects, which can be subtle and evocative. Smell is very primal sense.
    Sandalwood aids concentration, so is ideal. I like rose for metta. Sandalwood for focus. Frankinscense is a favourite, I used to burn a lot on charcoal during puja but if the charcoal gets wet it can break and split. Nearly set fire to the carpet. A sort of spontaneous fire ceremony . . .

Incence sticks, cones and dhoop are much safer as are oil burners.

http://sureshg.wordpress.com/2007/05/23/i-can-smell-god-secrets-behind-fragrance-and-religion/
    riverflow
  • @lobster you have a wonderful knack at finding the most obscure web sites. Thanks for the link
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    I like Morning Star brand -- particularly the lavender, jasmine and rose scents. I have to be careful, though, because incense can bother my allergies. So that I don't over do it, I usually break the sticks in half (they are thin and don't have a stem) so that it only burns for about 10 minutes.
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    Oi. Incense.

I make my own. I use a lot of frankincense, but it must be sustainably harvested. That usually means it comes from Yemen or UAE. Please, do not purchase frankincense incense that are labeled "wild harvested from Africa." Wild frankincense in Africa is about to go extinct.

Making my own Champa would be am interesting challenge as some of the component ingredients are very difficult to work with.

Otherwise I use components from around the world. Mostly resins. Some botanical. and occasionally essential oils. Please avoid incense that say they are "dipped." I dont' know why some makers would even consider that an advertising point. "Dipped" means that the incense "blank" has been immersed in a "fragrance oil" (which should in no way be confused with "essential oil.") Fragrance oils invariably contain DPG... Dipropylene Glycol. Its a chemical. True "crafted" incense do not contain DPG.

I make my incense rolled onto sticks and I use a botanical incendiary component rather than charcoal. They usually burn for about 45 minutes to an hour...

Would gladly send out some samples to anyone that is interested.
    personriverflowkashi