Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jainism and Buddha.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited May 2013 in Faith & Religion
I've read up on this religion and with the the exception of a few key beliefs ( Jains believe in souls and reincarnation as opposed to rebirth), it almost seems like Buddhism and Jainism are both sides of the same coin. Both value monks, both teach non-violence (although in Orthodox Jainism, the non-violence is very extreme), both teach compassion, both put an emphasis on meditation, and both are more concerned with action rather than beliefs.

What do you think of this religion?

Comments

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Well if I had to be a religion other than Buddhism it would be Jainism or maybe (Confucianism or Daoism)
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Anyone else?
  • I highly respect it. From the little I know of it, I can see what it has in common with buddhism.
  • kashi said:

I highly respect it. From the little I know of it, I can see what it has in common with buddhism.

I agree with kashi on this.

I'm a VERY strict vegan, by the way.
  • jlljll Veteran
    jains existed during buddha's lifetime.
    they were referred to as naked ascetics.
    buddha considered their ascetism too extreme
    and unnecessary.

DaftChris said:

I've read up on this religion and with the the exception of a few key beliefs ( Jains believe in souls and reincarnation as opposed to rebirth), it almost seems like Buddhism and Jainism are both sides of the same coin. Both value monks, both teach non-violence (although in Orthodox Jainism, the non-violence is very extreme), both teach compassion, both put an emphasis on meditation, and both are more concerned with action rather than beliefs.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    DaftChris said:

I think Jainism was part of the cultural "soup" the Buddha incubated in, and probably inevitably took some ideas from.

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Also one of the teachers that the Buddha try before his enlightenment was Udraka Ramaputra that some scholars identify like Jainist.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    It would be an interesting project to find a major religion that did not have much in common with Buddhism. If the Buddha's objection to Jainism was simply that the asceticism is too extreme then presumably the doctrine is fine, at least as far as it goes.

• I think Jainism takes asceticism a little too extreme. Other than that it's very similar to Buddhism.
    Historically Buddhism and Jainism are related, they're both Shramanic religions, alongside two or three others (that I can't recall or be bothered to google ;P). If people think Buddha actually just sat under a tree and developed his system ex nihilo they're naive, he was part of a spiritual milieu of traditions that shared many core concepts. If I were a betting man, I'd wager Buddha was once a Jain who created his own (and improved IMO) offshoot philosophy.