Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what factor (s) of the 8fold path are easier for you to practice?

For me right intention and right livelihood. But i pay a lot of attention to right view.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It's hard to say. I have improved a lot in right effort over the past 6 months. I think I am decent at right speech, (one hopes).
  • @Jeffrey do you find it easier to put right effort into meditation or just other stuff in life?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I find it easy to practice all of them.

Getting them right is the hard part.
    VastmindInvincible_summer
  • Sound livelihood is definitely the most approachable for me--working in a hospital--and then using the hospital as an opportunity (usually!!) for practice.

Sound effort has gotten easier since I've been going to the monastery. Just seeing the monks and nuns in whatever activities is inspirational.

Sound intention and speech are both things I seem to be focusing on lately (with greater or lesser degrees of success).

[I like Glenn Wallis' translation "sound" - just a personal preference that I feel has greater resonance]
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Right listening
    Right metta
    and
    Right on :clap:
    Vastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The whole thing, lol. I can look through it and say I can do better in some areas than others. Right livelihood is a non-issue for me because I am a stay at home mom. However, where I struggle in one area, I struggle in them all. I can't struggle with Right Speech yet claim to do well with Right Intention, Right Action and Right View. They just all flow into each other too much for me to be able to separate them out and say "I've mastered this, but not that." Of course I see where a person can do really well with Right Speech but still need to work on others, I am only speaking of my own experience.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    None. Everything is so difficult. I always think I have the right view but some people would shoot it down and lo, I forget my right intention and my intended right speech just turn awry. Anger probably rules then and I would forget right effort too. There is no effort instead and whatever right action that has been planned just fizzle out. My job may not entail taking life but in circumstances when your views has been shot down, any livelihood, no matter how right, is just not right. You would put on a sour face and send negative vibes to people around you, your colleagues, for instance and well, that's not right livelihood is it?
    kashiJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • @footiam true enough.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

@Jeffrey do you find it easier to put right effort into meditation or just other stuff in life?

Both. And my statement is relative. I don't have a lot of energy because of medicines but over this year I have added a lot of solid things such as working outdoors, exercising, meditating, meditating longer sessions, and studying a coursebook every day. I'm not awesome at right effort but the moon shines on you no matter how tall, so to speak. I didn't do it with new years resolutions, rather with micro-decisions and solid pranadhanas. <-- these are like resolutions with the added aspect of getting to the bottom of what you genuinely wish for. It's a subtle difference to base on clarity rather than 'betterment'.

kashi
  • edited May 2013
    Without all 8 spokes the wheel is out of round.
    Rollin'
    Rollin'
    Rollin' on the river