Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Big Food keeps us eating through a combination of science and marketing

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
This is a report by the CBC on how food companies use rigorous science to maximize the amount of food we'll eat.

There is an article and a video report. The video report covers most of what's in the article.
"I was totally surprised," he said. "I spent time with the top scientists at the largest companies in this country and it's amazing how much math and science and regression analysis and energy they put into finding the very perfect amount of salt, sugar and fat in their products that will send us over the moon, and will send their products flying off the shelves and have us buy more, eat more and …make more money for them."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/03/05/f-vp-crowe-food-addiction.html
SillyPuttyriverflowInvincible_summer

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I started eating a 'clean' (no processed food) diet several months ago. Lo and behold, I don't have the food cravings that I had before and energy is more stable.
    SillyPuttyriverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    person said:

This is a report by the CBC on how food companies use rigorous science to maximize the amount of food we'll eat.

There is an article and a video report. The video report covers most of what's in the article.

"I was totally surprised," he said. "I spent time with the top scientists at the largest companies in this country and it's amazing how much math and science and regression analysis and energy they put into finding the very perfect amount of salt, sugar and fat in their products that will send us over the moon, and will send their products flying off the shelves and have us buy more, eat more and …make more money for them."

I'll take the Buddhist approach. We're each responsible for ourselves.

• SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The same as @Nevermind said. I actually got some "treats" at Whole Food and I am severely suffering for it today. (Yes, the Whole Foods prepared foods section can be just as deadly as McDonlad's!) Even though I'm suffering a bit more due to allergies/food sensitivities, I'll still be suffering in the same way tomorrow when I wake up and my morning green juice no longer looks appetizing and I'll be grumpy and missing that processed food "high".

I usually stay far, far away from processed foods. I learned from years of eating just potato chips and diet soda all day that it is not the way to feel or look good. Nowadays I mostly eat only clean, pure fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, grains, and anything else vegan and "whole". I also went raw vegan for a while, but it just was too hard and I was worried about B12 and K2 deficiencies. But honestly? Eating natural, wholesome foods are the best. And if you have the money and access to organic non-GMO foods, even better.

But I do notice now after eating my Vegan General Tso's Chicken and Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Sandwich today, that I am sluggish, in a fog, and craving more! It's said that now I have to wait about 2 weeks for my "cravings" to go away and not want anything so high in fat/salt/sugar again. Two weeks of jonsin' for bad food... ugh... why did I give into temptation? I didn't even want it, really. :lol:

I also remember when I used to eat fast food (including pizza and the sort) as well. I would constantly crave it. Having just "one" treat day during the month would eventually turn into 2 days... then 3... then eventually I was pretty much eating out every other day. My weight would sky rocket and I would feel horrible.

So yeah... I totally believe the article. I remember watching a Penn and Teller's Bulls**t! episode where they were making fun of this woman who claimed that these marketers "conspired" to get us hooked... (Note: The show is quite biased in favor of eating fast food, FYI... :lol: ) Let me see if I can find the clip on YouTube.......

Good thing-- the 2nd half of the episode starts with the woman talking about it right away. But if you want to see the whole episode from start to finish, just search on YouTube for "Penn and Teller fast food" and it'll pop up.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    vinlyn said:

person said:

I'll take the Buddhist approach. We're each responsible for ourselves.

Are you saying you don't think we're biologically wired to crave some foods over others and that those cravings can be manipulated?

Or are you saying that it is helpful to know how we are biologically wired to crave some food over others and that there are foods that are designed to manipulate that, so that we can make better choices about the foods we eat?

Or do you imagine that everyone has a will of iron and can simply make any choice they want with ease?

Sorry for the leading questions, I have to admit it pushes my buttons when its implied that addiction is due primarily to a weakness of character. I'm basing that take on other posts of yours as well.
    riverflowSillyPutty
    1. I am overweight. No question about it. But I don't blame anybody for that except myself and the habits my parents let me grow up with.

2. Three years ago I started having a major problem with sodium leading to severe bouts with blood pressure (I think it was also related to moving to an area of relatively high elevation). It was a challenge modifying my diet to decrease sodium to a level that I could handle. Is there too much sodium in prepared foods? Yes. And once you've reduced your sodium intake, you really begin tasting that overdoing of sodium in prepared foods. Should companies reduce the sodium in prepared foods? Absolutely. But the consumer still has choices. For example, I eat tortilla chips with open face tacos at least once a week. I can buy Tostidos, or I can buy On The Border brand, which has 1/3 of the sodium. When I make a homemade pizza, I avoid the saltiest part of a pizza. Not the pepperoni or sausage or sauce or cheese. The crust. I use 2 flour torillas for crust, and I buy a brand of tortilla that has one-third the amount of sodium that most brands have. I buy no-salt ketchup, no-salt added tomato sauce, etc.

3. If you choose to shovel into your mouth too much sodium, that's your fault. If you want to shovel into your mouth too much sugar. That's your fault. If you want to drink big gulps4-55 times a day (and I have a friend who does that), that's your fault. And that's actually a very good example. She actually does drink 4-5 big gulps per day for the caffeine. Gave it up for lent with no problem. Then chose to start up again after lent.

And if you let my viewpoints press your buttons, that's your problem.
  • vinlyn said:

If you choose to shovel into your mouth too much sodium, that's your fault. If you want to shovel into your mouth too much sugar. That's your fault. If you want to drink big gulps4-55 times a day (and I have a friend who does that), that's your fault. ...
    And if you let my viewpoints press your buttons, that's your problem.

Your views don't make me upset, so I'm not posting to challenge you. However I do think there are those individuals who are more addicted to food than others. Just like there are those who are addicted to nicotine and cocaine and alcohol etc and those who are not and can have them "once in a while." I also think this food addiction is growing rapidly, considering the world is becoming fatter and fatter and more enslaved to their tastebuds. When we cut out processed foods, the weight just naturally falls off. We don't need processed foods to survive. As a matter of fact, we need to stay away from them in order to thrive.
    riverflow
    Vinlyn has a good point. There are after all far more deadly things sold by big companies. I could, for instance, buy a gun and shoot myself, and that, would be my fault.
  • Nevermind said:

Vinlyn has a good point. There are after all far more deadly things sold by big companies. I could, for instance, buy a gun and shoot myself, and that, would be my fault.

True... but I don't know too many people who are addicted to shooting themselves. :lol:
    riverflowpersonInvincible_summer

...When we cut out processed foods, the weight just naturally falls off. We don't need processed foods to survive. As a matter of fact, we need to stay away from them in order to thrive.

Exactly. We as individuals need to make wise choices.

This is not about your post:

I find it odd that on a forum where the Buddhists often complain that Christians put heaven and hell in Gods hands to avoid personal responsibility, that we also have people who are trying to put our worldly fate in the hands of Kraft and Nabisco.

95% of the packages of food I pick up (with the exception, for example, of some packages in the deli department or meat department, have fairly detailed labels that give you a pretty good idea about calories, saturated fats, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, as well as the ingredients used in the food item. I now usually read those labels and do comparison shopping. Do I always find an ideal product? No. But often I can make better choices as I shop. There is no question that I have reduced my sodium and cholesterol intake significantly over the past 3 years. I have that power.

Nevermind said:

True... but I don't know too many people who are addicted to shooting themselves. :lol:
    Barney Fife?

riverflowSillyPutty
    @vinlyn I get your point about personal choice. But in order to exercise wise choices its vital to have good information. The story I linked provides that, its not really about blaming food companies for making us fat and turning us all into helpless victims but informing the public about how they are modifying the food to increase our craving for it.
    edited May 2013
    person said:

@vinlyn I get your point about personal choice. But in order to exercise wise choices its vital to have good information. The story I linked provides that, its not really about blaming food companies for making us fat and turning us all into helpless victims but informing the public about how they are modifying the food to increase our craving for it.

I have no problem with that at all.

For example, in addition to the nutritional info already on most food labels, it wouldn't bother me a bit -- and would actually force companies to modify recipes -- if the government labels that said "high sodium" or "mid-sodium" or "low sodium" right on the front of food product labels (you could do the same with cholesterol and saturated fats).

Where I take issue is with what Bloomberg is doing in NYC. I can't buy a big gulp if I want one????? (BTW, I don't drink much soda at all -- a glassful a day...now).

vinlyn said:

person said:

I have no problem with that at all.

For example, in addition to the nutritional info already on most food labels, it wouldn't bother me a bit -- and would actually force companies to modify recipes -- if the government labels that said "high sodium" or "mid-sodium" or "low sodium" right on the front of food product labels (you could do the same with cholesterol and saturated fats).

Where I take issue is with what Bloomberg is doing in NYC. I can't buy a big gulp if I want one????? (BTW, I don't drink much soda at all -- a glassful a day...now).

That's funny. The compaines we're talking about love selling 'diet' foods with 'low fat' etc. The funny part is you can sell a gallon of high fructose corn syrup with a "no fat" label on it, because there is no fat in it. Our bodies convert it into fat. :crazy:
    riverflowSillyPutty
  • Nevermind said:

The funny part is you can sell a gallon of high fructose corn syrup with a "no fat" label on it, because there is no fat in it. Our bodies convert it into fat. :crazy:

Yes, there are all sorts of loopholes in the US with the FDA -- the labels the companies are allowed to put on their products are often very misleading as a result.
    vinlyn said:

Where I take issue is with what Bloomberg is doing in NYC. I can't buy a big gulp if I want one?????

I wouldn't mind taking the thread in the direction of addressing this issue. Here's a link to HuffPo's page with all their stories on it from both sides.

I actually liked the idea (which was recently struck down BTW). I didn't really feel like it was encroaching on anyone's rights as you could simply buy 2 16oz sodas if you wanted. What the ban in effect did was make the default choice for anyone buying soda meaning a consumer had to make a deliberate choice to get more instead of making a deliberate choice to get less.

The idea of fat, sugar and salt being really bad for you is not very popular in the general public. But once upon a time smoking and seatbelt wearing were seen in the same light.

Obesity is a large and growing (no pun intended) epidemic in the west and increasingly in any developing part of the world (India and China). It has a huge public health impact on the health system and the economy in terms of lost productivity, so it does have a public impact and IMO government can take a light role in guiding behavior.
    riverflowSillyPuttykarmabluesInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I wish they (being gas stations, fast food, whoever) didn't offer the GIGANTIC sizes as the most value. I know I can't control what he does, but I hate that my son will go to Holiday and buy a 64 ounce soda for 79cents. Yes, he could just buy a 2 liter for $2, or several other sodas. But he won't. Because he knows the "best deal" is the fountain pop in ridiculous amounts for much less money. Of course, the decision just comes down to him. But when someone is always trying to get the best value for their dollar, that is how they make those decisions. My teenager is one thing. But adults who don't have a lot of nutrition education, live in poverty and so on, make their decisions the same way. We hardly live in the inner city or anything, but even here, it's pretty routine to see a mom with their kids sitting at Holidays, and the kid's are eating a hotdog and a huge fountain pop for dinner, because it's a better value and it'll fill the kids up for not much money. It happens ALOT.

On one hand, I don't think the government should be telling people what not to eat, especially when they do such a horrible job of telling us how to eat well and allowing us to be informed consumers. But on the other hand, we have to pay for the HUGE amount of money that goes into paying for diet-related diseases somehow. If people don't want what they eat controlled, they don't want it taxed or anything else, well, then the people who want to choose to live unhealthy should have to pay more for insurance. Yes, I realize there is no way to quantify that, I'm just sayin'. If you want the right to live a horribly unhealthy life, then why should the rest of us have to pay for it? But then on my non-existing third hand, again, it comes back to education. If the schools are going to tell kids that uncrustables and chocolate milk equals a "healthy" lunch then they'll never learn any different and we'll all have to shoulder the burden of the costs of teenagers and young adults with diet-related disease and a population where quickly more of us will be sick than are healthy.
    Food is for chewing. We are supposed to have to work at chewing it, chewing is what starts to send the signal to the body that we are eating and to watch for the "full" signal. The food the way it is made, is made purposely so it does not have to be chewed, it's why when you eat that crap, it's so easy to overeat, because you skip 75% of the first step of digestion.
    Digesting fiber also sends "full" signals to the brain. Fiber is fully removed or destroyed in food processing.

Don't worry about it though, cuz we can just take a fiber pill, yay! http://www.skinny-fiber-diet-pills.com
    personSillyPutty
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    When i was a kid and i heard that McDonalds had "food scientists", my first response was "Why? They only have a handful of items on the menu, why would that require a scientist?" Well.........
    SillyPuttyVastmindInvincible_summer
  • Stick to the outside walls of the grocery store and you'll do better. Fresh fruit, veggies, lean meats and fish, dairy, whole grain breads. It's what's in the center of the store that gets us in trouble.
    edited May 2013
    Yup. In the middle sections the containers probably have more nutritional value than what's in them.

I'm exaggerating of course.
    Something an author said today, "If you're reading the label, you're already making the wrong choice, real food has no ingredients."
    Beejkarmablues
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    person said:

Something an author said today, "If you're reading the label, you're already making the wrong choice, real food has no ingredients."

HEY KIDS!!!! Try ORGANIC food! or, as our Grandparents used to call it, FOOD!" :)

Seriously, who let this degeneration happen? :rant:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    well, you can find decent things in the frozen aisle, too, which in our store is in the middle ;) I buy a lot of frozen fruit. I can't just thaw it and eat it, but I use it for smoothies often. But yes, shopping the perimeter is one of the better ways to help you shop! It works quite well. If you buy rice and beans they are usually on the interior but at least they aren't in the cookie aisle, lol
    SillyPutty