Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What kind of benefit have you received from prostrations.

This topic is about hearing from people who enjoy prostrations. Maybe they can say something about it. In particular what frame of mind do they have towards it that they think helps them to have a nice feeling for them.

Don't post anything for or against the legitimacy of prostrations unless you are someone who enjoys them but at one time felt they were illegitimate and they had some change in attitude.

Again this is not the thread for telling why people should or shouldn't do them. It is a thread about how you like them, but not how you don't like them unless the nays are in measure and do not dominate. And only post nays if you can talk from your own experience from having experimented with them.

Again this thread is about personal experience with prostrations and not about whether we should or shouldn't do them or if the Buddha taught them.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Prostrations were impossible for a Jewish Dharma friend, even though not a practicing Jew, he felt it was a betrayal to bow to an image or even symbolically. So obstacles can be cultural, Westerners are particularly stiff necked.

I used to find it a little comical but was used to it from martial arts, so happy enough to do it.
    As an actual meditational sadhana, it is excellent for depression, when doing in stints of 108. A full prostration is healthy exercise.

It is a bit like dance.
    People gyrating, what is that?
    Then you dance.
    Then you get it.
    Do it for a month.

It is a practice and for the physically or mentally jabbering, it stills the monkey . . .
    I will do 108 today to prove even the clowns can slowly and gently and mindfully fit in some pre breakfast practice . . . can hardly wait . . .

:bowdown:
    karmabluesJeffreyVastmindericcris10sen
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I do three prostrations before and three after a meditation session (three = buddha, dharma, sangha). I find it really helps set the tone for the sit, as well as eases the mind into/out of meditation.
    JeffreyVastmindriverflow
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I do three as well. Not scheduled, but when I feel like it. Traditionally one bows to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, but I bow with my mind on things that I feel are useful at the moment. I might bow to all other beings in the world and devote my practice to them, helps motivate me. Or I bow to the Buddha, to remind myself the truth in his teachings or to remind myself all I learned in the end is due to him. Or to the qualities of the Buddha, wisdom, compassion and such, to remind me what to develop. In a monastery I also bow to the monks on a formal meeting, as a form of respect. Brings forth humility.

So, I love doing it. Before I first did them, I didn't have a negative attitude towards them, but thought it would not be beneficial. But it is, at least to me.
    JeffreyInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    Do, or don't do, according to your will. This is how I look at it.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I forgot to mention I have a harder time doing them now. Most days, I can manage, but I can barely do a couple much less a hundred of them, lol. Some days my knee is too sore or swollen to do them at all. I cannot kneel with full pressure on my bad knee at any point but some days are better than others.
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    karasti said:

I forgot to mention I have a harder time doing them now. Most days, I can manage, but I can barely do a couple much less a hundred of them, lol. Some days my knee is too sore or swollen to do them at all. I cannot kneel with full pressure on my bad knee at any point but some days are better than others.

http://www.arktrading.com/trousers-shorts-knee-pads-c-331_381

They are really comfy.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Like cracking your knuckles...haha

I do find it just gets my body in the mood for what I'm about
    to do.....
    Depending on how my health is at the time, some days are
    super good....others, are me barely bending my head
    over, let alone my back....and don't get me going on
    the knees..... I just try to do something with my body that
    connects the form to the mind.

At home I do twice a day...before my sitting meditation.
    JeffreysovaInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @John_Spencer thanks, but even with padding, it doesn't help. There is torn cartilage under my kneecap, and when the kneecap is pushed into that spot when I kneel, that is why it hurts. No amount of padding helps much (though it's certainly better than just a hard floor!)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Torn cartilage. Yuk. :bawl:

It is possible to do prostrations as a visualisation or from a chair.
    I tend to start by placing my prayer hands behind my head and leaning back.
    If in a chair, personally I would get up if in a group situation but I have seen people in wheelchairs do excellent prostrations . . . without tipping over. ;)

There are also meditations done in full extended prone position. What we are really aiming for is a formal refuge, humbling and dedication.

To the Buddha for refuge I go
    To the Dharma for refuge I go
    To the Sangha for refuge I go
    Vastmindkarmablueskarasti
  • I try to do 108 every day, but i have fallen out of schedule now because of exams. Everything becomes crazy when i have exams. Prostrations makes me calm, and i like to do them because I feel like I do something a tad bit holy and respectful :)
    lobsterkarmablues
  • Oh, and I also offer my prostrations for disturbing emotions and people who have created negativity in me. Its a way of offering them everything good in life, and cut the tie to the disturbing emotions. FYI, today I did 216 prostrations after having not done them for a week. I feel full of energy and excited. I would recommend prostrations to everyone. It creates discipline, a sense of accomplishment and also it has benefitted my practice in the sense that I feel like I am working towards something. I love love prostrations even though it can be a challenge sometimes.
    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I love love prostrations
    :clap:

Find the good stuff. Do the good stuff.
    Life improves. The Middle way is so simple.

Prostrations always strike me as something you can dedicate and also benefit from. Plus it is exercise. How wonderful.
    JoyfulGirl
  • Going to do some late night prostrations! I have soon reached my summer goal which is to reach 20 000, and then I am going to make an autumn goal. I realize that it is not about the numbers, then again if you have a good intent for counting numbers, maybe it is okay to make it about numbers for a while. At least it helps me. I love you all, it is one of those days where everything is okay :)
    karmablueslobster