Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vegeterian recipes

I am trying to eat less meat, and I want some tips for vegeterian dinner dishes and healthy snacks.

Thanks to those who want to share :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Wow....GFY!!

any particular preference as to cuisine....?
  • I really like soups, garleak, beans, chickpeas, stews, I guess I am open for most things. I do not like tofu though.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh dear, you're a lost cause, you'll never be a full vegetarian if you don't like tofu!

(That was a joke)....

Investigate Italian vegetarian foods, and also make sure your nutrition is balanced and healthy.

Quinoa (Pronounced 'Keen-wah) is extremely good for you, as is tabbouleh and brown rice. Filling, nutritious and delicious!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    This recipe is my favorite. I add a half teaspoon of salt or so otherwise its too bland for me.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html
    Barra
  • This looks really good, thanks for advice :)

What do you eat for snacks? I am trying to cut down on sugar and unhealthy fat.
    edited May 2013
    Chopped up carrots, cauliflower, celery.... cream cheese dip..... reasonable portions of crisps or 'nibbles'... simply because you're becoming vegetarian, doesn't mean you can't eat what you used to eat as snacks.... just that you're not eating meat! The clue is in 'moderation'....
    federicaVastmind
  • It is true, but I have an infection now, so my doctor said I can't eat any sugar. And I am a sugar craver, and so in order to stop the cravings she said it was good to eat healthy fats.
    I use stevia to sweeten my oatmeal or substitute it for sugar in baked goods. Its sweeter than sugar so if you use it in baking you need to use a conversion.

http://truvia.com/recipes/conversion_chart
    edited May 2013
    Roasted veg in Olive oil....?

Would you still be eating fish?

I cant take animal proteins, but I can eat fish occasionally....
  • Roasted veg in olive oil sounds really good.

I am at this moment eating fish and chicken, I try not to eat red meat because it is bad for the enviornment.
    I eat fish, but try to make it wild-caught... Fishing on the high seas is the last bastion of fair-game hunting. There is no other animal on the planet that is given such a fair chance to escape the certainty of dying.

I don't eat meat for personal health reasons. I cannot process the proteins adequately, and get dreadful, debilitating tear-inducing cramps if i do. Thy keep me awake at night, for hours on end....

But the less i eat meat, the more 'conscientious' I find myself becoming.
    The more I see cookery programmes on TV where the main ingredient is still wandering around in a state of ignorant bliss, unaware that it's about to die to feed someone - the more I gravitate towards vegetarianism for the benefits to the animal as well as to me!

If others wish or decide to continue eating meat, that's their choice.
    I'm not about to join the hysterical 'meat is murder!!' brigade.
    I just feel it's right for me.

And for the record - no matter how I feel - I still love meat in flavour.....
    Barra
    Mackerel (smoked) mixed with cream cheese makes an excellent tasty pate.... Raw (yes, raw) salmon is an excellent source of good fats - eaten as sashimi, with soy sauce, and shredded ginger, it's utterly delicious.
    If you do use olive oil to roast or sauté make sure you use the light version and not the extra virgin. The extra virgin has a low smoke point and if it gets too hot is actually pretty bad for you.
    federica
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I'm on a kick lately of fruit salads....3-4 seasonal ones that
    go together...( I get recipes online)....also, I'm into chopped
    salads now.....I lettuce...3 kinds of peppers....or 2 kinds of
    lettuce, carrot, herbs....all cubed evenly. 3-4 things.
    Real easy! My favorite the last couple of years has been
    watermelon salads.
    Yogurt with fruit is my snack.
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    My girlfriend is vegetarian (which, by default, makes me semi-vegetarian!) and one of my favourites is vegetarian lasagne. I'd even say I prefer it to the meat version. There are plenty of recipes for it online but an added extra which really makes it tastier is to layer spinach leaves in it along with the pasta.

I do a mean leek and potato soup too. (Back in your box Ego!! Sorry about that.) Just fry finely diced onion, celery, garlic and carrot then throw it in a big pot with a pile of leeks and potatoes (leek and potato soup isn't just a clever name), add a few pints of stock and simmer it for a couple of hours. Give it a mash so it all falls apart into a nice thick soup and don't forget to season it. Tastes great with cheese on top.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I am doing veggie for a month at the request of my teacher of all his students. I drink a lot of smoothies, especially green smoothies. I have a hard time getting enough dark leafy veggies. I like salad, but not enough to eat it daily. But smoothies, I can do those daily. I just looked up recipes online to start, and experimented with what worked. I'll do a bunch of kale, half a granny smith apple, some almond milk or a little juice, ice cubes, usually some berries of some sort (frozen usually) and then some chia seeds. SO good. I have 2 smoothies a day on average which give me easily 6-8 servings of veggies and 3-4 of fruit.

I love quinoa, too, and wild rice. I don't like tofu and I don't like beans, either, so I usually end up adding protein powder to a smoothie every day. For me it's a sensory thing, I have a really really hard time with the texture of both tofu and beans. I can eat beans if i don't have to chew them, LOL.

I eat a lot of steamed artichokes and baby potatoes baked with a little olive oil, asparagus tips and kale added for the last couple minutes, and garlic. I love garlic.

I'm not the most help, since I've only been doing it a few days, lol, so I'm enjoying the topic and the ideas.

Oh, I do eat eggs, and a LOT of yogurt. I probably eat a good 8-10 cups of yogurt a week, mostly plain or vanilla added to smoothies.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ I'm going to try that smoothie recipe...Thanks!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    grape tomatoes are a good snack to have in the kitchen out and just eat a few whenever in the kitchen. I think the hardest thing I found as a vegetarian was quieting my hunger. Meat really does a good job of stopping hunger. Whole wheat bread with peanut butter spread on it gives some protein. Raw almonds the same.
    Nuts are really good and filling and full of healthy fats! Protein is mostly what does the better job sating hunger pangs. It's best when it's a whole protein and a whole carb. Something like quinoa and fruit and walnuts. I don't eat much for grain because it just makes me feel unwell beyond just a small amount. Same with milk, so I drink almond milk most of the time.
    I have a pretty easy time at this time of year, because everything is so easy to come by, but if it was January it would be significantly harder!
    One of my favorite snacks is saltine crackers with peanut butter or almond butter. Greek yogurt with chia seeds is a good, filling snack. Chia seeds are really healthy (and expensive!) and they increase their size dramatically when they are soaked for a bit (they turn into a jelly substance so if you don't like slimy stuff I wouldn't let them soak long, they'll still expand in your gut).
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Carrot sticks + hummous is delicious.

Curry + almost any vegetable is also awesome. Indian food and Indian-influenced food is usually quite vegetarian-friendly.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Nuts are the best snacks IMO. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You can make rice taste awesome with (east) Indian spices.
  • cptshrkcptshrk Explorer
    Pack the fridge with fresh veggies, get your hands on dried beans and stash on whole grains. :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

These look yummy!! I'm going to give them a go too :)

In metta,
    Raven
  • I have lots-- most are mainly vegan. I will come back to this thread later and post some recipes when I have more time. But if you ever want to PM me in the meantime, go right ahead. I'm becoming a bit of an encyclopedia when it comes to good veg*n food. :)
  • From a lazy cook:

They say you can survive on nothing but potatoes with milk/sour cream. Boiling potatoes or baking them in the oven is a tearfully simple procedure.
    Add boiled frozen sweet peas on the side, kitchup, and you have something like a meal :)

Another vegetarian's friend is buckwheat. Contains complete protein. You can boil it in 15-20 minutes, add milk, and there you go agian-- a nutritious, edible meal without dead critters in it.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I am at this moment eating fish and chicken.
    My sort of vegetarianism. Reminds me of medieval clerics who classed rabbit as fish, so they could have long eared fish on Fridays.
    http://www.foodreference.com/html/frabbit.html

I mix salt, whole wheat flour and water. Make little chappatty, shallow fry them and use as 'forks' for dhal and fish vegetable/fruit curry . . . :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Bowtie tomato herb olive pasta

Cook pasta to amount of company
    Meanwhile cut fresh herbs, cherry tomatoes in half, and black olives sliced in circles**
    Splash red wine vinegar in the herb/cherry/olive mixture
    Coat cooked pasta in olive oil
    Mix pasta and veggies making a dressing of the red wine vinegar and olive oil.
    optional Grind Black pepper over mix
    optional cook a little while stirring to loosen the tomato
    optional add parmesan cheese (non-vegan)
    optional add pepperoni (non-vegetenarianismistic)

Herbs might be basil, rosemary, chives or whatever :)
    Pasta that tumbles like bowtie is good.

** forgot geometry at this point ha
    SillyPutty
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Jeffrey's awesome deadly fried baked stuff potatoes :)

Cook baked potatoes 400 1 hour in oven. Make fork or knife holes. This is optional as it is totally legitimate recipe to explode the potatoes and then scrape them off of the sides of the oven.

Mix potato with soy bacon bits, cheese (ok non-vegan), sour cream, salt and pepper.
    Ok, now take corn tortillas they are sold small taco size and they have to be corn. This recipe will have you swearing up a storm because the tortillas are a bitch and frying them always makes you never want to make this again. The tortillas will break at the folds and one will come apart in the oil. But it has so much friedness yumminess that you will change your mind.

Heat a skillet with corn oil or other high smoke point oil (not olive). Roll the potato in the corn tortillas and fry them in batches. If you burn one or more don't throw out because the potato is still good. I use tonges and it is a little dangerous so be very careful not to burn yourself. If you add the tortilla and the oil makes a sizzle sound that meant the oil was hot enough; good job! Hot pan, hot oil, hot food in that order.

Oil should be a little above medium so it doesn't burn but still sizzles.

Serve with cilantro, tomatoes, etc that you like to cut the friedness and the butter in the potatoes.

SillyPuttyInvincible_summer
  • I'm inviting @Jeffrey over to cook me dinner one day. :lol:
    JeffreykarastilobsterInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I'd love to have everyone over for dinner. Loved your Facebook video of your shrine/practice room @SillyPutty :)
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summer
    Funny about the potato and milk. My teenager was just telling me the same thing but with potato and butter. But for an extended period of time (as my son was claiming) it seems that this would be too lacking in protein to not have detrimental affects some years down the road.

I do love potato. I just planted my yukon gold and baby reds yesterday. And today we planted honeycrisp and sweet sixteen apple trees, it'll be our first venture into the fruit tree world, lol. We're pretty limited in what we can plant being in zone 3, but apples are one thing we can do.
    lobster