Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yoga advice

As I was upstairs doing some yoga (or, as I like to call it due to the stage I'm at, "glorified stretching"), I began to really become frustrated with myself. I used to be extremely flexible. I'm talking legs-behind-the-head sorta flexible. Now I'm lucky if I can bend down and touch my toes without falling over.

So for anyone out there who is proficient in the practice of yoga, how do I get back to that flexible state? My hamstrings are extremely tight. What are the best methods to focus on loosening them up first? My downward dog is more like a kneeling cow at this point. Help. :o

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Yoga is not a race, even against your former self.
    If you insist on warming up, do as many salutations to the sun as you can.

. . . However . . .
    If you follow each posture by two minutes of corpse asana, you will be doing yoga . . .
    Anything else is mind agitation in physical form . . .

If you really want quick results :bawl: then try astanga yoga.
    I wish you every success . . . :wave:
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summer
  • As an ex-physiotherapist I suggest warming up slowly (getting heart rate up and warm blood pumping)- then relaxing into stretches.

The mind does the relaxing and the body allows the stretching.

You will get looser - it is inevitable if you create the right conditions.

Yoga has little to do with stretching and everything to do with 'posture' (both bio-mechanical and psyhic).

Good Luck!

SillyPuttyInvincible_summer
  • Nevermind said:

So for anyone out there who is proficient in the practice of yoga, how do I get back to that flexible state?

Do yoga regularly.
    :lol: True... but I want to speed up the process. So I guess the next reply would be, "Do yoga all day long"?
  • Do yoga all day = long.

Yes.
    SillyPutty
  • ZeroZero Veteran

but I want to speed up the process.

If it were a quick and easy process then everyone would have their legs behind their head.
    Invincible_summerkarmablues
  • I guess I'm just impatient because I'm worried that I'm not feeling "in the groove" like I used to. Perhaps my body has just permanently changed and I won't be able to do splits and the sort again without a trip to the ER. I usually could bounce back quite quickly... kinda like riding a bicycle, or muscle memory. Ah well.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think if you stretch every day you would progress, but it's hard to get back to youth. I am getting better running but I still can do only 4/10 of a mile straight jogging (go 1 or 2 miles including walking). I have been going to the gym twice a week since the end of December. In my youth I could sprint and jog a whole soccer game. I will never get as good as my golden days, presumably. So take it 'in stride' that your body is older. Not much else one can do. Good luck.
  • Thanks, @Jeffrey. I guess this is the first taste of my youth slowly slipping away. :lol: I'm really not upset, but just frustrated that I'm so far off from where I used to be. Just have to keep trying, that's all. This body is merely on loan, so it's not a big deal, really. But I just feel so much better when I'm able to stretch to my fullest potential.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    If you do it regularly (say, 4 or more times a week) flexibility will return fairly steadily. I was a gymnast when I was younger (ALOT younger, lol) but after 3 kids and desk jobs, I lost most of it. But when I started doing yoga again, it came pretty quickly. I wouldn't get back on the horse or anything, lol, but I can do a full bridge (wheel, in yoga I think) and shoulder stands and some other things that I couldn't even attempt. That happened over a period of, oh, maybe 4-6 weeks. I have a lot of yoga dvds (class isn't an option for me) and actually the P90X2 yoga is one of my favorites. I do that twice a week and add some shorter routines in otherwise. The impact was pretty fast. Especially compared to how long it takes to see results from other forms of exercise, LOL.
    lobsterJohn_Spencer
  • Watching the paralympic games (here in the UK) gave me perspective that, as a 50 year-old, I can't really complain that I get a dodgy knee and a stiff neck once in a while!
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

I guess I'm just impatient because I'm worried that I'm not feeling "in the groove" like I used to. Perhaps my body has just permanently changed and I won't be able to do splits and the sort again without a trip to the ER. I usually could bounce back quite quickly... kinda like riding a bicycle, or muscle memory. Ah well.

Yup. I can relate. every time the instructor says that we should consider downward dog to be a relaxation pose, I want to say "are you freaking kidding me?"
    Don't obsess about the poses that you can't do, and start loving the ones that you can. After a while you'll see that they've all become easier.
    Invincible_summer