Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I need some advice on finding sutras.

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited September 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Can anyone point me in the right cyber direction where I can find good English translations of some of the sutras? I'm looking for the translations that are accepted by the global academic community and I'd also like to know which sutras I should start with as a beginner.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I'm not too sure about the Mahayana Sutras, but www.accesstoinsight.org is a wonderful resource for the Pali Suttas. Check out their study guides & articles. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with some of the key buddhist teachings & their scriptural basis.

_/\_
    metta
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Hey, Brigid! I love running in to you here! Your simle brightens my day everytime I see you pic. Here's the site I use when I'm feeling sutra hungry:

Mahayana Sutras

Many translations are from academics, some are even academic-practitioners, like Thurman's Vimalakirti at the very end. The rest are via committee, which, as someone who did translation for a living for awhile, I think is the best of all!

As for what to pursue and how, I can't give any advice on that. Sorry! I hope this is useful.

See you 'round, hon!

Peace,
    edited September 2006
    questZENer wrote:
    Hey, Brigid! I love running in to you here! Your simle brightens my day everytime I see you pic. Here's the site I use when I'm feeling sutra hungry:

Mahayana Sutras

Many translations are from academics, some are even academic-practitioners, like Thurman's Vimalakirti at the very end. The rest are via committee, which, as someone who did translation for a living for awhile, I think is the best of all!

As for what to pursue and how, I can't give any advice on that. Sorry! I hope this is useful.

See you 'round, hon!

Peace,

Good link, Quest. Thanks a bunch.

_/\_
    metta
    edited September 2006
    You might also want to check out this link.

Leaves From the Buddha's Grove

*fixed the link*

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I knew I could count on you guys. These pages are exactly what I needed. I love AccessToInsight and use it a lot but I have never come across the other two sites and I thought I had scoured the entire web. lol!! They're perfect and I'm all set, fuzzy slippers and robe and hot cup of tea, settled in for a long and lovely night of sutra reading.

I also wanted these resources because I'm compiling my own personal book of sutras that I can keep with me and look through whenever and wherever I am. I'm at that stage now in my studies and I think I'm ready to really get to know the Buddha up close and personal. lol!!

Thank you both from the bottom of my heart.

Love from your friend,
    Brigid
    edited September 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I knew I could count on you guys. These pages are exactly what I needed. I love AccessToInsight and use it a lot but I have never come across the other two sites and I thought I had scoured the entire web. lol!! They're perfect and I'm all set, fuzzy slippers and robe and hot cup of tea, settled in for a long and lovely night of sutra reading.

I also wanted these resources because I'm compiling my own personal book of sutras that I can keep with me and look through whenever and wherever I am. I'm at that stage now in my studies and I think I'm ready to really get to know the Buddha up close and personal. lol!!

Thank you both from the bottom of my heart.

Love from your friend,
    Brigid

Why you're certainly very welcome. I am glad to be a part of such an auspicious development.

A lotus for you, a Buddha to be.

lotus.jpg

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Oooohhh!! And it's PINK! My favourite! Thank you very much!
  • edited September 2006
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Thanks, Will! I'll check it out.