Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No problems?

I am reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, and wanted some perspective on one portion of it:
But the purpose of studying Buddhism is to study ourselves and to forget ourselves. When we forget ourselves, we actually are the true activity of the big existence, or reality itself. When we realize this fact, there is no problem whatsoever in this world, and we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties.
Conceptually I understand this statement, but I am curious about the bolded portion and how to fully make sense of it and apply it. Specifically, where does the suffering of others come into play here? Where does empathy come into play if we are acknowledging there is no problem in this world?

I understand much of Buddhism is difficult to express in words, and this might be one of those instances, but just trying to see what others think. Thank you!

Comments

• ZMBM is not a good book for beginners.

He means that it's possible to see and respond to the world as it is without fighting against the perception of it. It turns out that the way of living he's pointing to doesn't preclude working to improve the world. In fact, in a lot of ways the efforts from that way of living are more efficient and effective. But the things which get improved aren't problems to fight with.

Empathy means understanding how another sees the world. That doesn't mean you see it their way. But I also don't mean by that that you know another person's upset and don't give a shit because it's actually not a problem from your perspective. It's more that there is a focus on what will lead to a positive result rather than on fostering a perception that the situation is bad.
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My take on it would be that, no matter what is presented to us, we choose to suffer. We don't have to choose that, and when we realize there really is no self (which is the part of us that suffers) then we cease to suffer, and therefore, what we normally see as problems, aren't seen as problems anymore because they no longer make us suffer. I'm not sure that's right, that's just what I've picked up along the way, lol. It makes sense to me, but like you, there are situations I can't quite fit into it so I'm not sure how exactly it works out. But that's the general way I understand it. For example I have a hard time how a typical person could work past certain physical pain to no longer suffer from it. I know there are those who can transcend pain, and perhaps when we come to that point of letting go to self, we can also transcend pain. Even severe emotional pain can be felt as actual, physical pain. But I do think even if we can't transcend it at this point, even starting at a smaller level and making a choice other than suffering, can help us deal with the bigger things so we don't suffer as accutely, or as long.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Also, Buddhism is not difficult to express in words. A book like ZMBM is much easier to read when you realize that he's choosing what to say in terms of attitudes which would be useful to adopt in Buddhist practice, rather than ontological positions. Those attitudes might be difficult to explain logically, but he's talking to help people wake up, not to win a debate.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @mynameisuntz -- Conceptually, I think you are absolutely right -- it makes no sense.

But perhaps you are capable of noticing as well: Where is the rest of the world, your friends, neighbors, lovers, enemies, beliefs, explanations, etc. when you sneeze or become fully involved in pounding a nail? The moment is just the moment, isn't it? sneezing or pounding? It's not as if anything were missing ... it just doesn't happen to be in play at the moment.

Moments of sneezing, moments of pounding, moments of empathy, moments of enmity ... isn't that the way things actually happen? No-problem moments come and go, even when they are problem moments.

Of course if you try to turn all this into a philosophy or religion or some other neatly-wrapped Christmas present, it doesn't work and all sorts of contradictions and paradoxes and other thorns poke and prickle. Who ever tried to make a philosophy out of a sneeze, much less succeeded? Or a kiss? Or pounding a nail? Or twirling a hula hoop? Or trying to 'understand' Buddhism? Or giving your neighbor a hand?

The moment needs nothing from you. What Buddhist practice does is to make what was inescapable in the first place less of a prison. Mynameisuntz knows how to sneeze or kiss or philosophize or play the empathetic friend ... of course s/he does. So ... go ahead and also ....

Practice whatever practice you choose. See what happens. It's just for the moment, isn't it? :)
  • Thank you, all, for the responses. I must read them and let them sit a while.

@fivebells - I have read a few books as it, though I suppose this one feels a bit more abstract than others. Perhaps this was a greater leap in "skill level" than anticipated! Are there other texts you might suggest?

The last line of your post resonates.
  • @mynameisuntz: It depends. What were you hoping to learn from ZMBM?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    When we forget ourselves, we actually are the true activity of the big existence, or reality itself. When we realize this fact

I think when you realize the first part the second part comes naturally. We all have moments where we forget ourselves even if we analyzed our 'life' we would have to say that there are problems within the context of 'life', but not in the context of 'big existence'. Suzuki often talks about big mind? Doesn't he? I haven't read that in some time, but when I did read it I just took on vibes because I didn't have time or basis in other clear messages from the dharma so to scrutinize Suzuki. I just took it all on faith and took the vibes. It was easy to have faith because I was just starting with a mental illness and I liked the vibes of Buddhism. So I got on the raft. So then a meditation practice. Here I am. :hiding:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2013
    My take, it means that you no longer have any problems in your own life, no more difficulties in your own life. Which is why he says afterwards, "and (then) we can enjoy our life".
  • fivebells said:

@mynameisuntz: It depends. What were you hoping to learn from ZMBM?

I purchased it because it was suggested to me as I am trying to read more specifically about Zen Buddhism.

Again, thank you all for the input. I am trying to work some of the readings out myself and you are all giving me food for thought.

• @mynameisuntz: Try Zen Keys by Thich Nhat Hanh.
    riverflow
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Basically you have to have to realization the Buddha had.

Lol sit zazen and expect nothing. Then when mind/body drops into suchness you will actualize the compassionate activity of the Buddhas.

riverflow
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Eckhart Tolle gets a bum rap around these parts, but I think he expresses many of the concepts we work with in Buddhism (and share with Advaita Vedanta and mysticism) quite beautifully. This is from The Power of Now:
    Ultimately, this is not about solving your problems. It’s about realizing that there are no problems. Only situations – to be dealt with now, or to be left alone and accepted as part of the “isness” of the present moment until they change or can be dealt with. Problems are mind-made and need time to survive. They cannot survive in the actuality of Now.

The mind unconsciously loves problems because they give you an identity of sorts.

When you create a problem, you create pain. All it takes is a simple choice, a simple decision: no matter what happens, I will create no more pain for myself. I will create no more problems. Although it is a simple choice, it is also very radical. You won’t make that choice unless you are truly fed up with suffering, unless you have truly had enough. And you won’t be able to go through with it unless you access the power of the Now.

Ask yourself what “problem” you have right now, not next year, tomorrow, or five minutes from now. What is wrong with this moment? You can always cope with the Now, but you can never cope with the future – nor do you have to. The answer, the strength, the right action or the resource will be there when you need it, not before, not after.

It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living.

Waiting is a state of mind. Basically, it means that you want the future; you don’t want the present. ...With every kind of waiting, you unconsciously create inner conflict between your here and now , where you don’t want to be, and the projected future, where you want to be. This greatly reduces the quality of your life by making you lose the present.

...The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is.
    Invincible_summermisecmisc1FullCircle
  • But the purpose of studying Buddhism is to study ourselves and to forget ourselves. When we forget ourselves, we actually are the true activity of the big existence, or reality itself. When we realize this fact, there is no problem whatsoever in this world, and we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties.
    I have bolded the relevant part.
    If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying?
    If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?
    Shantideva
    riverflowlobster
  • @pegembara - I guess I wonder about issues that might be traditionally seen as especially heinous, like rape or murder. Maybe it is the construction of my mind and the perspective which I have adopted from years of conditioning, but it is tough for me to read that statement ("When we realize this fact, there is no problem whatsoever in this world, and we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties") and apply that to serious unethical behaviors.

Buddhism acknowledges there is suffering, so how does that coincide with the concept that there are no problems? Because the suffering stems from misconceptions and illusions about the nature of ourselves and the universe? What of suffering from things mentioned earlier in this post, like rape?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Shunryu Suzuki (of Zen Mind Beginner Mind and Not Always So) said that Buddhists have problems, but the difference is that they don't 'have a problem with having problems'. Another way to look at it.
    karmablues
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    The quote in the OP speaks of forgetting ourself. Once this done, who is suffering?
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I am reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, and wanted some perspective on one portion of it:

But the purpose of studying Buddhism is to study ourselves and to forget ourselves. When we forget ourselves, we actually are the true activity of the big existence, or reality itself. When we realize this fact, there is no problem whatsoever in this world, and we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties.
    @mynameisuntz: Dude, hope you already know about cause-effect or law of karma or what you sow, so you reap - so there is no problem whatsoever in this world - this is the effect part, but to get this effect, the cause is - When we forget ourselves. But this When we forget ourselves is effect part, but to get this effect, the cause is - to study ourselves . Moreover, Zen does not work in theoretically understanding things, rather practically working out things - rather, Zen seems a little less than complete non-sense if you read its koans on the first reading (leaving the fact you are already awakened before reading those koans :) ). So if you are going through Zen method, the best thing which Zen says to do is - just sitting.

problems of world (or Samsara) are there, will be there in Samsara, because it is world or Samsara or conditioned phenomena - but the problems which affect us directly are the major problems which hit us, but this is due to the concept of 'I' and the feelings of my and mine, which grow along with it - this 'I' is due to ignorance - the removal of ignorance is the goal towards which all spiritual practices strive. once this ignorance is replaced with wisdom, 'I' goes away and things appear 'just as they are'. But this removing of ignorance cannot be achieved through only reading and understanding, rather this removing of ignorance can only happen in direct experience in meditation, which needs the support of ethical behaviour.
  • @Florian / @misecmisc1 - so how do we approach the suffering of others? We know suffering exists, so how do we reconcile the knowledge that suffering exists with the statement "there is no problem whatsoever in this world" (which is understood when we forget ourselves).

I feel I have read much talking about how suffering exists, and how the suffering of one causes suffering for others, and so on - how is that reconciled with the notion that forgetting oneself means there is no problem whatsoever in this world?
    edited May 2013

@Florian / @misecmisc1 - so how do we approach the suffering of others? We know suffering exists, so how do we reconcile the knowledge that suffering exists with the statement "there is no problem whatsoever in this world" (which is understood when we forget ourselves).

I feel I have read much talking about how suffering exists, and how the suffering of one causes suffering for others, and so on - how is that reconciled with the notion that forgetting oneself means there is no problem whatsoever in this world?

@mynameisuntz: my thinking says: when this stage of forgetting oneself shall be reached, the concept of 'I' shall dissolve completely and when there is no 'I', there shall be no 'Samsara' - because this duality exists simultaneously - the moment the concept that there is something internal to us as an 'I' is created, the same moment the concept as something external to us as 'Samsara' is created and duality comes into formation - the moment 'I' is dropped, 'Samsara' drops. The duality shall be removed, oneness shall be realized and further contemplation may lead to realization of emptiness of all phenomena - this shall arise genuine compassion for all sentient beings considering the fact that other sentient beings of Samsara are suffering due to their ignorance and are not able to realize the emptiness of all phenomena. Then, with compassion, the awakened person can help others to realize the emptiness of all conditioned phenomena. so after forgetting oneself, there is no problem whatsoever in this world for that awakened person, rather just conditions arising due to their causal conditions arising and conditions ceasing due to their causal conditions ceasing.
    FlorianLucy_Begood
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Nicely put @misecmisc1.

@mynameisuntz - You say that suffering exists. This seems to be an error. It would exist in a way, but in another way it wouldn't. Perhaps one might say that you will think it exists for as long as you think you do. But there is the path to the seeing that it doesn't, and that neither do you.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    Craving its what makes us take personally what is happening, and thats where OUR problem begins. Without taking it personally, still it might be a problem for the world, but not to us. That doesnt mean we cant provide help.

• I feel I have read much talking about how suffering exists, and how the suffering of one causes suffering for others, and so on - how is that reconciled with the notion that forgetting oneself means there is no problem whatsoever in this world?

Hi, @mynameisuntz. Does my first post in this thread address your question?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I can't look in the writer's head as to what he means, of course. But here is my take:

When we forget ourselves means when we have no sense of separate existence. We know that everything is connected to the 'big existence' aka the Dhamma. If you can see like this, no 'you' is there to suffer or experience problems. So suffering doesn't hit you. This is already addressed by others.

But from another point of view suffering is there whether or not we have a sense of self or not. A lot of suffering is caused by having a sense of self, but not all. This is true for us, but indeed there is the suffering of others also. So to say the world will be without problems is not true from that perspective. "Everything is burning" is what the Buddha said in a sutta, that's quite the opposite from "there are no problems in the world".

So from argumentation it can be both true and false and I understand your confusion. It is often in terms of concepts that we can approach things from multiple angles. For example, some things that teachers mainly intend to be an inspiration to practice can be taken as if they reveal some universal truth. I think that's the case here, I think Suzuki was trying to inspire us. Because the part "we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties" of course is also not really true, because if anything one day we die and that won't be enjoyable. When the Buddha was sick before he died, I think he also wouldn't have said it was enjoyable, or without difficulties. He said sickness is suffering.

With metta,
    Sabre
    pegembara
  • But the purpose of studying Buddhism is to study ourselves and to forget ourselves. When we forget ourselves, we actually are the true activity of the big existence, or reality itself. When we realize this fact, there is no problem whatsoever in this world, and we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties.

Conceptually I understand this statement, but I am curious about the bolded portion and how to fully make sense of it and apply it. Specifically, where does the suffering of others come into play here? Where does empathy come into play if we are acknowledging there is no problem in this world?
    The awakened person has solved his/her problem. The only thing left is to show others how to go about solving theirs.
    "Even so, brahman, nibbana does exist, the way leading to nibbana exists and I exist as adviser. But some of my disciples, on being exhorted and instructed thus by me attain the unchanging goal — nibbana, some do not attain it. What can I, brahman, do in this matter? A shower of the way, brahman, is a Tathagata."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.107.horn.html
    riverflow
  • @misecmisc1 -

The duality shall be removed, oneness shall be realized and further contemplation may lead to realization of emptiness of all phenomena - this shall arise genuine compassion for all sentient beings considering the fact that other sentient beings of Samsara are suffering due to their ignorance and are not able to realize the emptiness of all phenomena. Then, with compassion, the awakened person can help others to realize the emptiness of all conditioned phenomena. so after forgetting oneself, there is no problem whatsoever in this world for that awakened person, rather just conditions arising due to their causal conditions arising and conditions ceasing due to their causal conditions ceasing.

How do we look at things like genocide? Even if we forget ourselves and remove the duality which exists, would we still acknowledge suffering and problems? Or would we not view these things as suffering or problems?

@fivebells -
    fivebells said:

Hi, @mynameisuntz. Does my first post in this thread address your question?

It does, though this part: "It's more that there is a focus on what will lead to a positive result rather than on fostering a perception that the situation is bad." - to me that implies that there must be an acknowledgment of something being wrong, or off.

@Sabre -
    Sabre said:

I can't look in the writer's head as to what he means, of course. But here is my take:

When we forget ourselves means when we have no sense of separate existence. We know that everything is connected to the 'big existence' aka the Dhamma. If you can see like this, no 'you' is there to suffer or experience problems. So suffering doesn't hit you. This is already addressed by others.

But from another point of view suffering is there whether or not we have a sense of self or not. A lot of suffering is caused by having a sense of self, but not all. This is true for us, but indeed there is the suffering of others also. So to say the world will be without problems is not true from that perspective. "Everything is burning" is what the Buddha said in a sutta, that's quite the opposite from "there are no problems in the world".

So from argumentation it can be both true and false and I understand your confusion. It is often in terms of concepts that we can approach things from multiple angles. For example, some things that teachers mainly intend to be an inspiration to practice can be taken as if they reveal some universal truth. I think that's the case here, I think Suzuki was trying to inspire us. Because the part "we can enjoy our life without feeling any difficulties" of course is also not really true, because if anything one day we die and that won't be enjoyable. When the Buddha was sick before he died, I think he also wouldn't have said it was enjoyable, or without difficulties. He said sickness is suffering.

With metta,
    Sabre

I understand we ourselves may not be suffering "personally," but what about the suffering of others? I feel I have read Buddhist writers talk about the notion that the suffering of others is our suffering, too. That this is the interconnectedness of humanity; is this true?

The second part of your message seems to be mostly what I am aiming to understand: what about the suffering of others? Does the suffering of others exist? From my understanding, that might fall under the first of the four noble truths, no? As such, how can we say there are no problems in the world? So long as suffering exists, aren't there "problems" (which maybe we can just use interchangeably with "suffering" for the sake of this post?)

@pegembara - that statement to me implies that there are problems in the world though, no? Does the suffering of others have any indication on our own suffering? Or are these independent?
    edited May 2013
    @mynameisuntz: suffering, whether our suffering or others' suffering, is suffering. if a person becomes awakened, suffering ends for that awakened person, but suffering will exist for other persons - due to the suffering of others, the awakened person out of compassion will try to help others by showing them a way out of their suffering.

Awakening for a person ends the suffering for that awakened person, but not for others - others will still continue to suffer based on their ignorance. the suffering of other persons will not make the awakened person to suffer, because the awakened person has replaced his ignorance with wisdom and knows that all phenomena (being empty of inherent existence) are dependently originated due to their causal conditions arising and cease due to their causal conditions ceasing - so due to compassion, the awakened person will try to help others to get rid of their suffering by telling them the way out of suffering.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    So in this sense suffering both exists and not-exists, and hence the doctrine of two truths.
  • "It's more that there is a focus on what will lead to a positive result rather than on fostering a perception that the situation is bad." - to me that implies that there must be an acknowledgment of something being wrong, or off.

@mynameisuntz, imagine you find yourself in a flawless situation. There is still the question of what actions at this moment will lead to a good situation in the future.