Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone into Bonsai ?

I recently bought a Bonsai Tree and was wondering whether anyone on here was also into Bonsai and would be willing to share some tips. I have had it a week and still finding the ropes. I have a Ficus retusa.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We have a member called @BonsaiDoug.... Dead give away.... he's an experienced enthusiast.....He will come to this thread.....
    ericcris10senWisdom23
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    I had one a few years back. I called him Gordon. Sadly, I underestimated just what a fine balance watering him would be andhe dried up. I do want to get another at some point though.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    We have tried 3 or 4 of them and killed every last one of them. So I'll be interested to learn more about it beyond reading websites. I'm not a horrible plant-caretaker and I can follow directions but nothing we did worked. $120 down the drain on dead plants. I think they died within 6 months, if I remember right.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    A ficus is a good tree to start with. I've messed around a bit and took some classes off a Korean guy some years ago.

The biggest failure is underestimating how often you need to water the ficus. In the summer, when you have lots of sunlight and hot temps you might have to water once every few days! See, there's not much soil, lots of roots, and the dirt is very sandy and drains quickly without retaining water. It's best to mix up a weak fertilizer in a bucket and use that during the growing months for watering since all this water flushes nutrients out of the soil.

And bugs and mites love bonsai for some reason. Keep an eye out for tiny critters crawling on the plant.
  • I've had a juniper bonsai for almost a year now and it's doing well. Make sure its well-drained and check on line for information on watering, light, etc. It's really a commitment- have to look at them as your friend that you are responsible for giving water, food, and nurturing to. Will post a photo of mine when I get a chance.
  • Here you go
    karastiVastmindJeffrey
  • Just kidding- here's my little guy (or gal?)
    karastiVastmindMaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    We got ours from a lady who sold them from a van in a parking lot. She didn't speak any English and couldn't tell us anything about what exact species they were, or how to care for them. So it's totally possible we were caring for the wrong type, lol.
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    I maintain about sixty potted plants of all sorts. Many meet the definition of the term ," bonsai."
    One condition I put on my plants is that they demand my attention only once a week. As long as they agree we can have a relationship. Any time I have been given a little juniper in a tray pot it has died post haste. In the past I have tried giving more frequent attention to these demanding life forms but I cannot not pull it off. Once a week or bye bye greenery.
    Many plants can stand the rigors of my schedule . It is a combination of plant size, pot size , maintaining moisture in soil, shade or sun as needed . Once you find the right spot for an acquisition , the rest is easy. And feed them for G-d's sake. I do remove them from their pots on occasion to trim roots and add fresh soil, but often many years go by between these efforts.
    P.S I live in a Mediterranean climate which helps greatly.
    MaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2013
    What people forget about bonsai is that regardless of their size, they're still 'trees'.
    Those bought from a commercial garden centre - if they're ridiculously inexpensive - will in all likelihood perish. More often than not, it's been a hurried cosmetic process to generate income from would-be enthusiasts gambling on a short-cut.

If you'll pardon the pun.

A 'proper' Bonsai will have its value reflected in the price, because it has taken care and dedication to get it to look as good as it does....
    And Bonsai trees do best outside, in sheltered positions.
    But taking a tree indoors and treating it like a house-plant, will toll the death-knell for the poor thing.....
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    Yes Federica, exactly right. The right grower can sell you an outdoor type tree that is acclimatized to the indoors but ," don't try it at home."
    Lots of enthusiasts , especially bonsai people,take their plants in and out on rotational basis to display them, but that feels a lot like work to me... I do it on occasion and am always astonished at how fast a seemingly healthy outdoor plant will fail even in a sunny spot inside. Then it can be a year or more to bring it back to health.
    Anyway, bonsai in particular are demanding little devils.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Excellent advice has been given, and a Fig (Ficus) is a good place to start; hardy and hard to kill. But to go from a house plant to bonsai requires some training; for you and the tree. Best to get a basic book or two that discusses things like soil (bonsai vs. potting), proper root and branch trimming, etc. If you don't train the tree properly you'll end up with either a house plant or a stick in a bonsai pot.

If you live in an area that experiences winter, then trees like Ficus can come indoors 'till spring. With the proper bonsai soil you can fertilize heavily to thicken up the trunk. The aim is to wind up with a tree in a pot that looks like it should be growing outside normally; only dwarfed in size. The soil is one key factor.

I'm using my Kindle right now, but when I get on my laptop I'll post a pic or two.
    federica
  • This might be a silly question, but can you bonsai any tree? Could I plant an acorn and make a tiny oak tree?
    edited May 2013
    The process of creating an authentic bonsai takes many years. You would in all likelihood pass a half-begun bonsai tree to your 'children'...

First, get thge acorn to root.
    Plant it in open ground.
    When it's about 3 feet high, dig it up and trim or cut the roots back with a sharp spade. Re-plant in open ground.
    The next year, when the tree is in full leaf, cut all the leaves off, individually (down to where the leaf joins the leaf stalk.)
    Leave the stalks, they'll fall off on their own, and this eliminates possible damage to the tree, down to you, if you were to try cutting the leaves right down at the branch-joint....
    Take a look at the shape, and think about how you want the tree to start looking....
    Remove branches you don't want. Cut the branch as close to the main 'trunk' as possible, but never flush with the trunk....shrinkage will cause an indent or hole, which you may not want.

Repeat the above processes for at least another 4 years, alternating root chopping one year, with leaf-removal the next.
    At the 5th year, dig the tree up, trim the roots, and plant into a pot.

This bonsai will always be bigger than you imagined it would be. But with proper care, attention and devotion, you will have the 'mighty oak' - in miniature! :D
    Chrysalidfedericamrbriteyanataman
  • Oh wow, thanks, I wasn't expecting a "how-to", that was cool. Yeah, I pictured one of those little window sill ones in my mind, are they not true bonsai trees, or are they just specially bred miniature varieties?
    If you're thinking about the ones you commonly see in commercial standard garden centres, then yeah, they're just commercially "mass-produced" quick-fix poor imitations of the proper kind. The authenticity and quality will be reflected in the price....

A true and proper bonsai will be outside, and be a darn sight bigger (although admittedly, it will depend on the variety of plant!)
    It's all a question of proportions and what Nature 'herself' will permit; An Oak tree will never be a really good bonsai at 6" in height - but picture a 3-foot high, 'fully-grown' specimen, in its autumnal glory.

Isn't that something?

To be honest, I have seen smaller bonsai oaks - but again, it depends on variety - and certainly, on the skill of the grower.....
    I used to wander around greenhouse nurseries, looking at the various plants. There are lots of good started plants there to experiment on. Then look through thrift stores for things to plant them in. Don't forget to drill large drain holes in the bottom of the pot, if it doesn't have any.

I'd look for plants with nice thick trunks and a thick, compact foliage that could be trimmed to start the shaping. Trim the root ball and remove the center tap root which will almost always be extremely root bound anyway, but don't try to put the started plant in a shallow bonsai pot at first. Find something maybe 3 inches deep that looks good. You'll be keeping the plant in that pot for years. But eventually, you'll know it's time to transplant, do another root trim, and graduate the plant to the next level.

edited May 2013
    Cinorjer said:

I used to wander around greenhouse nurseries, looking at the various plants. There are lots of good started plants there to experiment on. [and everything else stated :D ]

Excellent! One of my favorite pastimes is "bonsai" hunting among nursery stock. I look for privets, junipers, Crape Myrtles and boxwoods with good trunks and interesting branching. Also, some varieties of Holly make for interesting bonsai, although I've not tried one as yet.
    For a beginner, @BonsaiDoug, which tree would you recommend as probably the one which can withstand 'idiots' (like me)...? :D
  • federica said:

For a beginner, @BonsaiDoug, which tree would you recommend as probably the one which can withstand 'idiots' (like me)...? :D

Hey @ federica How about a tiny Ficus Religiosa - how cool is this:

You could sit your little Buddha underneath him.

MaryAnne
    That is one amazing little tree.... Sod that, I'll sit under it myself!! :D
    John_SpencerVastmindanataman
    Now you've got me interested in starting some more trees again. I had about 6 bonsai doing great and they were stolen off my patio one summer, and several years later after I restarted some, the person who was supposed to water my plants while I was on vacation one hot summer didn't and the new ones all died. I'm left with one 20 year old indoor jade bonsai I call Grandpa. But now I have a patio that's screened in and next week I'll have two foster kids and I'll see if I can get them interested in starting a couple of plants to call their own.
    Jeffrey
    edited May 2013
    federica said:

I almost always recommend a Fig/Ficus. Don't bother with anything too skinny. Look for something with a decent trunk and lots of branches. First thing is to trim it back a bit (nothing fancy) then prune the roots a bit, shake out some of the potting soil it may be in, and introduce it to bonsai soil. I like to do all this at one time 'cause I'd rather "loose" the tree in the first year than after a few years of work.

Also, plain old junipers are good. Even though they are technically a bush, they can be trained easily to resemble a tree. But they must remain outdoors all year round.
    Here are a couple of quick iPhone pics of two of my Junipers in training. Both are Shimpaku Junipers:
    TheEccentric
    edited May 2013
    One of my favorites from bonsai artist Nick Lenz:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Pill_Man/Bonsai/Penelope_large.jpg

(Ooops! won't post!) :(
    Here we go - "Penelope" by Nick Lenz:
    MaryAnne
  • Im recently becoming interested in these little trees and have been doing a lot of reading before i risk a tree's life. =D It's amazing the depth of knowledge of the art and science of bonsai! I have a large collection of houseplants and have grown fungi in the past which is quite challenging, but bonsai mastery seems an incredible feat. There's just something about them, especially those evergreens... dont think im going to be able to resist !
  • @BonsaiDoug , I found this book in the local library, 'Keshiki Bonsai', which features young trees and mosses in mini landscapes... image problem is, the book doesnt show you how to train these very young trees to curve like this....ive read that it isnt wires, whats the secret? id love to have a few of these little guys around
    edited August 2013
    @oceancaldera207 - I've only used wire (aggressively) to accomplish this. However, there is a technique utilized where very young saplings are grown in the ground, and while they are still very flexible, they are wrapped around stakes placed next to them. Then you simply wait 'till nature takes its course.
    oceancaldera207
    I do that with my leg and give myself cramp...... :D
  • Ficus religiosa rocks im(not so)ho...

On a more serious note, I've not even been able to keep indigenous trees alive in a pot long enough for them to be meddled with the slightest...
    I've given up and now only cultivate my Peyote
  • @oceancaldera207 - I've only used wire (aggressively) to accomplish this. However, there is a technique utilized where very young saplings are grown in the ground, and while they are still very flexible, they are wrapped around stakes placed next to them. Then you simply wait 'till nature takes its course.

Ahhh stakes ok... Thanks!

Omg frederica u must be a yoga master!
  • corkcork Explorer
    If ever anyone visits DC, make sure to stop by the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum on NY Ave. Awesome place. I was there long ago. I saw emperor bonsai given as gifts to a fledgling USA.