Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Refreshing one's Metta practice

Hi All,

Recently, in my metta practice, I've come to find that my hopes for peace and love - in sequential order, from self to all sentient beings - has become a bit repetitive in that my wishes seem to be becoming mere thoughts at this point and I no longer feel the emotional surge of love and hope for well-being in me the way that I did when first starting.

I suspect that this is partially due to the fact that my meditation practice has been a bit erratic of late and I need to make it continuous, but I will do my best to get back consistent with my practice.

Any thoughts on keeping it fresh anyways, though? :)

With metta,
JB
Invincible_summer

Comments

• Great advice, @John_Spencer . I really appreciate it! Will definitely give this a go-
  • @justbe, Go where it's more concrete and more difficult. Cultivate metta for specific people who annoy or disturb you. Always start with people/entities for whom it's easy to cultivate metta, and spread from there. Work with increasingly difficult people as your facility develops. If you find you can't do it with someone/something, back off to something easier. The trick is always to spread it from easier entities to harder ones. When you could sincerely spread metta to bandits who are carving you up "savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handed saw," you've mastered this practice.
    VastmindInvincible_summerKundojustbe
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Keeping it fresh.. Well, one thing I like to do personally is keep a notebook in my bag. When I sit for a while and maybe feel inspired I'll write new "songs" or "prayers" I guess you might call them. Over the course of the following days I'll read the page or pages and try to reflect their expression as best as possible. This helps me a lot, since fresh words can also be beneficial in themselves.

Another thing I like to do is really reflect on what would make certain people happy. It's good to ask your friends, family, and people you meet what their dreams and aspirations are... what they would love to do in their life. Then I really try and focus on seeing them accomplish that goal, of achieving that state. Everyone is different, so this helps a lot when you focus on individuals.

A holistic metta practice stems from expanding our love toward all sentient beings in the cosmos. Thus, think first on people who are dear to you, and expand it gradually to people who are neutral and eventually people who are far away (people you met "under a bad sign" let's say, or you know, when things were tense). Really, we conflate the atmosphere of an experience with the people we meet within the experience. People themselves all share a brilliant and loving nature, and when you practice metta for everyone, especially people who are "far away" or people with whom there is tension or anger as a reaction, you are benefiting not only yourself, but everyone. Every intention to live cooperatively and openly, free to love and flow about each other, makes the Buddhas rejoice. There is such deep value in metta practice. Do it as much as you can. It need not be "10 minutes in this here corner" and then disjunct from the rest of your activities. When you are walking, or when you are waiting for the bus, or enjoying the sight of clouds, find presence-balance and think with an earnest heart to imbue the air and the particles and the substance of the cosmos with love and goodwill. Really delete the distance, the barrier, the illusory wall between "yourself" and "other" beings. Cherish "other" and wish them great happiness. Embrace their suffering and you can embrace their joys with a happy heart.
    lobsterjustbe
  • Although metta meditation in itself is a form of concentration meditation, it can be helpful to start off with mindfulness of breathing. So before beginning your metta practice, you could try doing some breathing meditation for a while first. Once you feel that your mind has settled down and is focused then start the metta meditation. You might get better results this way.
    justbe
  • Thank you all!
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I suspect that this is partially due to the fact that my meditation practice has been a bit erratic of late and I need to make it continuous, but I will do my best to get back consistent with my practice.
    I suspect you are now back on track. :wave:
    Keep up the good work :)
    http://info.med.yale.edu/psych/3s/metta.html
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    when you see someone or when someone comes into mind think that someone is subject to 'old age', 'illness', and 'death' as 'you yourself'
    wish him free from 'such things'

this way one can do both 'tranquility' meditation and 'insight' meditation in one moment and any moment one is mindful of the 'seeing' , 'thoughts' etc.

you do not have to believe 'above'

just try 'above' for one or two days and see is there any truth in it?
    does it give peace to your mind
    then
    decide to continue