Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Still having trouble transcending itches and pains

I've been meditating a long time now but am still having a lot of trouble not letting itches and pains get to me to the point where I have to scratch or otherwise adjust my meditation posture. Can anyone give some helpful suggestions?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Itches are part of meditation rather than itches spoiling meditation. I think if you make a deal of the itches they will get stronger because what we resist persists.

I would advise being mindful of the itch for about 10 seconds. And then mindfully and slowly scratching it. For pain just note it is there and return to the breath. If you are worried about injuring yourself take that seriously and maybe try another posture.
    buddhistok
  • Jeffrey said:

Itches are part of meditation rather than itches spoiling meditation. I think if you make a deal of the itches they will get stronger because what we resist persists.

I would advise being mindful of the itch for about 10 seconds. And then mindfully and slowly scratching it. For pain just note it is there and return to the breath. If you are worried about injuring yourself take that seriously and maybe try another posture.

Thanks very much for your reply, but I already practice very similarly to this.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yeah, that's all I can think of. I had awhile where noticing my eyes blinking was bugging me but eventually it went away. Good luck!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    I recommend Eucerin:

Invincible_summerkarmabluesbuddhistokInc88
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    What trouble are you experiencing in adjusting posture or scratching an itch?
    If having thought arisings one returns to the attention/awareness. No trouble at all . . .
    Vastmindperson
  • If you want to drop the irritation regarding the itch, that is a very good practice. I suggest cultivating metta for the itch.
    lobsterInvincible_summerbuddhistok
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'm with @Vastmind on this, I scratch itches and adjust posture. My focus in meditation isn't really on the body that much I tend to focus on mental arisings and use the breath as a loose way to regain focus.

I'm guessing this has become a bigger deal simply because you've made it so. If you try not to scratch itches or adjust posture then doing these things take on a larger scale than they normally would. Maybe try scratching and adjusting freely and see what happens.
    Glowlobsterbuddhistok
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    I am also of the "scratch the itch and move when necessary" school of thought. I've tried the "resist scratching and watch what happens" approach, but it just felt like I was fighting my body. I had to really prioritize the breath to be able to enter the jhanas.

(FTR, my first post was a joke, but there's something to be said for preventative measures. :P)
  • My main issue usually isn't itching, but foot cramps (I don't know why-- I eat bananas like there is no tomorrow!). Sometimes I can just sit with it and let the cramp run its course-- other times I have to re-adjust my feet. Sometimes I can be mindful, sometimes I just resist it-- which comes out of habit. (I use a seiza bench, no cushion for me, thankyouverymuch!)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Perhaps you are worrying so much about it, that you are bringing on itches and pains? What kind of pains are you experiencing? Some of them there are ways you can avoid them by adjusting your pose, even just so slightly. Sometimes my ankle bones get sore, sometimes my legs go numb. There are things I do to help prevent those problems, and most of the time, they work. I have allergies, and in the morning especially I'm pretty stuffed up. I often cannot breathe through my nose (especially in the spring) or my nose runs. Instead of letting it affect my meditation, I stuff a kleenex up my nose and meditate on anyhow.
    riverflow
  • Just to be clear, I often scratch itches, too. But learning to release the irritation by hold the itch in attention is extremely instructive.
    lobsterInvincible_summerriverflowStraight_Man
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I don't think you need to "transcend" the itching or pain. It's about accepting the itching and (moderate) pain. If it's "clinical" pain (i.e. really bad), then by all means attend to it!

Itches, as @fivebells said, can be a really good teacher during meditation. They have all sorts of sensations and mental formations that come with them... great for insight.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    You could try a body scan meditation for a while.

I do this from time to time.

Keep looking for itches before they arise. Give them a few seconds to arise, to settle. Scratch, return to the scanning. At the same time or alternately look for pains, bring the awareness/attention to the pain, give a few seconds to arise and settle. Adjust your posture and continue.

Are you in pain normally, scratching yourself all the time? If so drink more water, improve diet and do yoga. If not consider it an arising . . . expect the form to change . . .
    Jeffrey
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    The way I do:

At the beginning of the meditation take some minutes to find a good posture by focusing on the body and relaxing every part. Don't just sit down and expect the posture to be ok. This will take care pains are not likely to arise.

Then focus on your meditation object. For me it is the breath. If your mind is relaxed enough, attention of the body will drop away and pains and itches will not be noticeable anymore, or only at the edge of awareness where they don't bother you. (So far Ajahn Brahm's instructions)

If the above does not happen, another way is to investigate the feelings. They change all the time, pains can even flow from one place to another. Their intensity chance etc. Seeing this will make them have less grip on you.

And then there is the scratching and moving, with which I see no problem.
    lobster
  • Umm I think this kinda flows in this post. I have severe back issues to the point of having to have surgery a few years ago and still need medication for it at times. My 3 little ones see to it that I still need it. Hehehe Anyways, until now ive just done my meditation sitting on my bed w/ my back against the head board n legs crossed indian style. I didnt have any room in the house to set up for it anyways. But our new house has room for me to have a meditation area with an alter n such things. Problem is I want to find a position to use during meditation that wont end with me stuck on bed rest. I dont like having to lean against anything even though I keep my back straight. I want to be able to go to meditation at the temple without the back pain getting to an extreme point. Srry, I rambled a bit. Basically, does anyone have a recommended position that might help??
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Do whatever gives you comfort.
    We can't know your body and how it feels, so even if you end up lying on your side - if that works - do it.

Some meditation stools are slightly inclined to support the sacrum.
    I'm not sure what would work for you, but the point is not to be in the right position.
    The point is to 'be' - and meditate.

Don't be concerned that it may not be ';right'.

If it's right for you - then it's right.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yeah there are a lot of us with some challenge to meditation. I take meds that make me drowsy and when I meditate I experience a kind of pain. It is not like the pain of a burn or muscle cramp, rather it is like a sense of dis-relief, the opposite of a relaxed person. It is not mental anxiety rather I think it is subtle body issue.

I think we do what we can. I might try walking meditation and corpse position meditate @DrusillaFaith. Or try sitting but if it hurts you then go for the back support.
  • @DrusillaFaith, I have done most of my meditation in a similar position and it has worked great for me, and I don't even have a back problem.
  • Thank you. Ive had issues with my spine for many years so I've gotten ti a point that im used to it most times. It has to get quite bad before its troublesome to me. Only issue is that normally by that point its so bad that nothing helps lol so glad I found this site n thank you for ur support. :D
  • They will most likely have meditation mats at the temple, and that should help a lot. I also have back problems and have trouble sitting at home but I find it much easier with a zafu and zabuton set. I like the ones that are crescent shaped and as soon as I can afford it, I want to order one to use at home.

Like @Jeffrey said, I find that doing Savasana (Corpse Pose) on a yoga mat really helps my back and I will sometimes meditate that way at home.

I think sitting on a mattress (no matter how firm) may not be good for the back. It would probably be better to sit on the floor, even if you do prop up your back. I find that sitting on a flat pillow or folded blanket helps.

• fivebells said:

Just to be clear, I often scratch itches, too. But learning to release the irritation by hold the itch in attention is extremely instructive.

Could you please let me know what you mean by "instructive"? Thanks.
  • Sabre said:

The way I do:

At the beginning of the meditation take some minutes to find a good posture by focusing on the body and relaxing every part. Don't just sit down and expect the posture to be ok. This will take care pains are not likely to arise.

Then focus on your meditation object. For me it is the breath. If your mind is relaxed enough, attention of the body will drop away and pains and itches will not be noticeable anymore, or only at the edge of awareness where they don't bother you. (So far Ajahn Brahm's instructions)

If the above does not happen, another way is to investigate the feelings. They change all the time, pains can even flow from one place to another. Their intensity chance etc. Seeing this will make them have less grip on you.

This sounds like an excellent idea except that, for the most part, the main problem is itches, and, as far as the pain goes, most of it is in my back and is due to my weight. I'm morbidly obese. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks by the way for your input and time.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Your itches are spacious. If you could just sit with them you might become a Buddha from experiencing the intensity. I am dealing with body things too. Try walking meditation. For pains look in some of the threads I have posted about my pains. Some good info and videos.
  • Bodily pain is good to be used as an object of contemplation as the unpleasant sensation is often very strong and clearly felt. In everyday life, we don't often have this chance to contemplate bodily pain. That is because in auto-pilot mode, we are constantly adjusting our bodily positions to relieve ouselves from pain. Even in our sleep, we twist and turn to relieve bodily suffering. In this way, our semi-automatic posture adjustments in daily life end up shielding the true nature of the body as being a constant source of suffering.

Now, when we sit in meditation, since we force ourselves to stay in a single position over an extended period of time, the true nature of the body as a source of suffering comes into full view. This is itself beneficial for the practice. Additionally, we are also given the chance to explore the impermanence and not-self nature of pain and unpleasant sensations.

So before adjusting our posture, we purposely remain still and be aware of the pain for a period of time and then we can start contemplating the nature of that pain. Does the pain feel the same all the time or does it feel increasingly more intense at times and at other times the intensity lessens a bit. Here we try to examine whether pain or the unpleasant sensation is permanent or in constant state of flux.

We can also contemplate how much control we have over this pain. Does pain listen to our wishes? Can we just command the pain to disappear according to our wishes? Here, we try to contemplate whether this pain is part of the "self", or in other words is this really "our" pain

Then we can explore why this pain makes us suffer. If it is not "our" pain then why do we suffer from it? Here we try to see that it is our attachment to the idea that this pain is "our pain" which causes us to suffer. Through this kind of attachment, we end up with aversion, ie. the desire to be rid of the pain. And what if it doesn't go away? Then we become agitated, restless, far from peace. In this way, we see how identifying the pain as "our" pain is a source of suffering because such wrong view transforms what is merely a bodily pain into one of mental anguish as well. So we end up suffering in two ways, bodily and mentally. This kind of contemplation also helps us to realize more and more the need to develop right view with respect to the not-self nature of feelings.

Verses from Suttas under the discourses in the Vedanā-Samyutta grouping:

When, O monks, an untaught worldling says that in the great ocean there is a (bottomless) pit, he speaks about something unreal and not factual. 'The (bottomless) pit,' O monks, is rather a name for painful bodily feelings. When an untaught worldling is afflicted by painful bodily feelings, he worries and grieves, he laments, beats his breast, weeps and is distraught. He is then said to be an untaught worldling who cannot withstand the bottomless pit and cannot gain a foothold in it. But when a well-taught noble disciple is afflicted by painful bodily feelings, he will not worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. He is then said to be a noble disciple who can withstand the bottomless pit and has gained a foothold in it.
    ---------
    When an untaught worldling is touched by a painful (bodily) feeling, he worries and grieves, he laments, beats his breast, weeps and is distraught. He thus experiences two kinds of feelings, a bodily and a mental feeling. It is as if a man were pierced by a dart and, following the first piercing, he is hit by a second dart. So that person will experience feelings caused by two darts. It is similar with an untaught worldling: when touched by a painful (bodily) feeling, he worries and grieves, he laments, beats his breast, weeps and is distraught. So he experiences two kinds of feeling: a bodily and a mental feeling.

Having been touched by that painful feeling, he resists (and resents) it. Then in him who so resists (and resents) that painful feeling, an underlying tendency of resistance against that painful feeling comes to underlie (his mind). Under the impact of that painful feeling he then proceeds to enjoy sensual happiness. And why does he do so? An untaught worldling, O monks, does not know of any other escape from painful feelings except the enjoyment of sensual happiness. Then in him who enjoys sensual happiness, an underlying tendency to lust for pleasant feelings comes to underlie (his mind). He does not know, according to facts, the arising and ending of these feelings, nor the gratification, the danger and the escape, connected with these feelings. In him who lacks that knowledge, an underlying tendency to ignorance as to neutral feelings comes to underlie (his mind). When he experiences a pleasant feeling, a painful feeling or a neutral feeling, he feels it as one fettered by it. Such a one, O monks, is called an untaught worldling who is fettered by birth, by old age, by death, by sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair. He is fettered by suffering, this I declare.

But in the case of a well-taught noble disciple, O monks, when he is touched by a painful feeling, he will not worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. It is one kind of feeling he experiences, a bodily one, but not a mental feeling. It is as if a man were pierced by a dart, but was not hit by a second dart following the first one. So this person experiences feelings caused by a single dart only. It is similar with a well-taught noble disciple: when touched by a painful feeling, he will no worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. He experiences one single feeling, a bodily one.

Having been touched by that painful feeling, he does not resist (and resent) it. Hence, in him no underlying tendency of resistance against that painful feeling comes to underlie (his mind). Under the impact of that painful feeling he does not proceed to enjoy sensual happiness. And why not? As a well-taught noble disciple he knows of an escape from painful feelings other than by enjoying sensual happiness. Then in him who does not proceed to enjoy sensual happiness, no underlying tendency to lust for pleasant feelings comes to underlie (his mind). He knows, according to facts, the arising and ending of those feelings, and the gratification, the danger and the escape connected with these feelings. In him who knows thus, no underlying tendency to ignorance as to neutral feelings comes to underlie (his mind). When he experiences a pleasant feeling, a painful feeling or a neutral feeling, he feels it as one who is not fettered by it. Such a one, O monks, is called a well-taught noble disciple who is not fettered by birth, by old age, by death, by sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair. He is not fettered to suffering, this I declare.

Thanks very much. This is something you have been very kind and patient enough to put into words for me, but, isn't it true that I have to realize this myself through meditation? This is the impression I get.
  • Jeffrey said:

Your itches are spacious. If you could just sit with them you might become a Buddha from experiencing the intensity. I am dealing with body things too. Try walking meditation. For pains look in some of the threads I have posted about my pains. Some good info and videos.

What do you mean "spacious"??? I've never heard that word used outside of a home-buying context.

Did you make some of your own videos?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @buddhistok
    Most very heavy folk choose to use a chair or the corpse pose for back pain with formal meditation. Have you tryed either of these two?
    Does the itching still occur if you are just sitting normally in a chair?
    Does it only occur when you are meditating?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    No the videos are in some of the threads I opened about meditating with psychic pain.

By spacious I mean that the urgency of the itch pervades everything you associate with. You can't forget the itch. So if it is spacious you can just notice your mind. And then scratch the itch.
  • Jeffrey said:

By spacious I mean that the urgency of the itch pervades everything you associate with. You can't forget the itch. So if it is spacious you can just notice your mind. And then scratch the itch.

I'm sorry I don't understand.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Itch covers everything. It is the most important thing in the universe. Your mind tells you it is itchy. So itch becomes everything.

Feel that everything. And then scratch the itch :) I can try again if that doesn't mean anything.
    buddhistok
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013

Sabre said:

The way I do:

This sounds like an excellent idea except that, for the most part, the main problem is itches, and, as far as the pain goes, most of it is in my back and is due to my weight. I'm morbidly obese. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks by the way for your input and time.
    You are welcome and thank you. If you are heavy, consider a chair with good support. But my advice would still be the same:

If I have pains, headaches or itches it's a bit harder, but I can do the same: it's possible to not feel these pains and itches when body awareness drops. In fact, for me it is the case that the body starts to always hurt after a while (30 min or so) if I don't. This dropping of body awareness is not something special in itself. Think about when you are watching a movie - you probably don't notice how your body is sitting and can stay in one position for a long time. Although in meditation the object of course is not a movie, something similar can happen.

It's not a simple choice, though. It requires practice. It's the hindrance of sense desire that can make this hard to do. If the mind is attached to the body and doesn't detach, it will keep getting back to the pain and itches. The quote below is a beautiful example of this in the suttas, which was also quoted before:
    Touched by that painful feeling, he delights in sensual pleasure. Why is that? Because the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person does not discern any escape from painful feeling aside from sensual pleasure.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html
    If the dropping of the body is a bit too far-fetched for you now, it's also interesting and insightful to see how much of the pain is mind created, how much we add to the pain, making it stronger. It's like fear. By avoiding it, it becomes stronger. By looking directly at it kindly, it gets weaker. I think some people here are pointing at the same things. Some people use a technique of breathing through the pains, which in my mind achieves just that: it takes the mental part away.

I have developed a similar way to take itches away without scratching. Itches become stronger if you don't allow them, if you get annoyed and want them to go away. They become less itchy if you take this mental force away.

In this thread I gave some more advice with some links to documents of teachers speaking about the dropping of body consciousness also:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/18853/how-do-i-see-that-feeling-is-not-the-self#latest

This dropping of awareness of the body is not just an escape from painful feelings, in my experience it is a natural progression of meditation. So don't see it as a kind of way around things, or a useless state. It'll create its own little insights. If you can do this you learn more about what sense desire means, about what attachment means.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I can see how sitting through itches might help further practice. Some are minor. Some are so urgent that scratching them is almost as good as an orgasm, LOL.
    Jeffreylobsterbuddhistok
  • Not all itching are psychological. However,

In many people, the sight of someone scatching brings out a primal urge to reciprocate. Until now, psychologists have believed that the desire to join in comes from an innate sense of empathy.. But Professor Jamie Ward says his research proves otherwise. SOUNDBITE (English) PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY AT UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX, JAMIE WARD, SAYING: "We've found that that wasn't the case, actually, that those people who were more empathic were perhaps less likely to do this and it suggests that they have a mechanism for switching off the sharing of feelings when those feelings might be quite negative or hurtful and what we find is that people who are more neurotic, which is defined as a tendency to experience more negative emotions were more likely to have contagious itching." The University of Sussex Professor co-led a study into the so-called 'itch matrix' and says his team found three regions of the brain linked to subjective itching. After filling in a questionnaire volunteers were filmed watching videos of others scratching. The results surprised Ward. SOUNDBITE (English) PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY AT UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX, JAMIE WARD, SAYING: "You might imagine that when you see scratching that you would just activate the parts of the brain involved in producing the motor actions, that the thing that's contagious is the actual act of itching. What our research shows is that it isn't just the action of scratching that's contagious, it's the actual feeling of scratching or the feeling of itchiness so we activate parts of the brain that are involved in representing the body and also involved in the emotional parts of the brain." The team think the findings could help treat people suffering from chronic itching where there's no underlying dermatological cause. Ward says more research is needed but believes that one day psychological solutions could be applied to problems that are no more than skin deep.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/02/12/psychologists-seek-clues-to-scratching-c?videoId=241073161&feedType=VideoRSS&feedName=Technology&videoChannel=6&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/USVideoTechnology+(Video+/+US+/+Technology)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've been told to focus on the itches, acknowledge them in your meditation, and amazingly, they go away.
    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    :wave:

Itch awareness, acknowledgement, searching for its underlying nature is possible. You can do this with any mind arising. You can sing mantras to it. You can send Buddha visualisations to soothe it. In essence it is no different to a mind arising.

That is why it is important and nothing of any import . . .

Someone once told me her most important understanding to do with arisings was, 'hello arising, goodby arising.' In other words . . . we acknowledge its arrival, we experience its being, we allow its passing . . . :wave:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013

I've been meditating a long time now but am still having a lot of trouble not letting itches and pains get to me to the point where I have to scratch or otherwise adjust my meditation posture. Can anyone give some helpful suggestions?

This is actually a good sign. Its an indication that you are approaching concentration. We start to realise that at any given time we are itching somewhere in our body at any given point when we are awake. Normally we block this out in order to function.
    As we begin to develop awareness of bodily processes we sometimes become hyper aware and hyper vigilant about these processes.
    It will pass. Keep returning to the object of contemplation..the breath or whatever..
    Its not easy. And our minds have a unconscious resistance..the mind is a good servant but poor master and it sees different states as threatening. Be gentle with yourself.
    buddhistok
  • Thanks very much. This is something you have been very kind and patient enough to put into words for me, but, isn't it true that I have to realize this myself through meditation? This is the impression I get.

Yes, that is right. An important point I wanted to make was the benefits of using pain as an object of meditation.
  • fivebells said:

Just to be clear, I often scratch itches, too. But learning to release the irritation by hold[ing] the itch in attention is extremely instructive.

It's a microcosm for the practice of the four noble truths. Hold the itch in attention (there is suffering, study it), see the craving (there is a cause, release it), experience the release of the irritation (there is cessation, realize it), expand this to other suffering (there is a path to the cessation of suffering, develop it.)
  • how said:

@buddhistok
    Most very heavy folk choose to use a chair or the corpse pose for back pain with formal meditation. Have you tryed either of these two?
    Does the itching still occur if you are just sitting normally in a chair?
    Does it only occur when you are meditating?

Hey how.

I always meditate in a chair. The itch does occur, but itches at least seem to occur much more frequently when I meditate.
  • lobster said:

:wave:

Itch awareness, acknowledgement, searching for its underlying nature is possible. You can do this with any mind arising. You can sing mantras to it. You can send Buddha visualisations to soothe it. In essence it is no different to a mind arising.

That is why it is important and nothing of any import . . .

Someone once told me her most important understanding to do with arisings was, 'hello arising, goodby arising.' In other words . . . we acknowledge its arrival, we experience its being, we allow its passing . . . :wave:

What do you do when the arising outstays it's welcome?
  • Citta said:

the mind is a good servant but poor master and it sees different states as threatening. Be gentle with yourself.

Could you please reword this. I'm sorry, I don't understand.
  • fivebells said:

fivebells said:

Just to be clear, I often scratch itches, too. But learning to release the irritation by hold[ing] the itch in attention is extremely instructive.

It's a microcosm for the practice of the four noble truths. Hold the itch in attention (there is suffering, study it), see the craving (there is a cause, release it), experience the release of the irritation (there is cessation, realize it), expand this to other suffering (there is a path to the cessation of suffering, develop it.)
    It very rarely disappears on it's own. It usually stays until i just have to itch it. As some of the replies to this post describe, it gets pretty annoying at a certain point.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Does it happen when you do walking meditation? You could switch to that for awhile and maybe it will reduce when you come back.
    buddhistok
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @buddhistok
    Do you think that the random itchiness is just normal for you but becomes more noticeable when your immobile in sitting meditation and limited from scratching them.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Stay with it.

However that might not be helpful.

Maybe you could scratch its opposite? So for example, head itches - scratch big toe.
    Belly itches, scratch inside of mouth.

Itch yoga . . now available.
  • Using Meditation to Deal with Pain, Illness & Death.

For best results, develop these skills before the arrival of pain, illness and death. Itches are a great context for practicing with them.
    buddhistok
  • how said:

@buddhistok
    Do you think that the random itchiness is just normal for you but becomes more noticeable when your immobile in sitting meditation and limited from scratching them.

I think the itches are always the same but become more noticeable when I meditate.
  • fivebells said:

Using Meditation to Deal with Pain, Illness & Death.

For best results, develop these skills before the arrival of pain, illness and death. Itches are a great context for practicing with them.

Great idea.
  • lobster said:

Stay with it.

However that might not be helpful.

Maybe you could scratch its opposite? So for example, head itches - scratch big toe.
    Belly itches, scratch inside of mouth.

Itch yoga . . now available.
    I hope you're not serious.