Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

healthy vegetarian food eating tips

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited May 2013 in Diet & Habits
hi all,

please share some healthy vegetarian food eating tips/foods - especially things which can be eaten raw.

i have been eating a raw clove of garlic daily from last week - i take it without anything else in evening, after that drink water and then tea - when i eat raw clove of garlic, there is a feeling of some burning sensation in my stomach - this does not last long, may be for a minute and after drinking water, this sensation usually goes away. so anybody here which has an experience of eating raw garlic? due to this raw garlic eating, i do not have any other problem currently from last week except feeling of some burning sensation in my stomach, which i said above. so please suggest if i should continue or discontinue eating raw garlic currently.

regarding omega-3, which i heard is available in fish, any suggestion for getting it in any veg diet.

any food, which helps in reduction of degrading eye-sight - or which helps keep eyes healthy.

any other healthy veg foods either raw or by preparing.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    Flaxseed oil. I put some in the yoghurt/muesli in the morning. It has omega 3
    One of the EFAs in flaxseed oil, alpha-linolenic acid, is known as an omega-3 fatty acid. Like the omega-3s found in fish, it appears to reduce the risk of heart disease and numerous other ailments.http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-flaxseed-oil.html
    misecmisc1
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Flax, hemp and chia seeds (whole or ground) and nuts are all decent sources of omega 3-6-9 fats, especially walnuts. I am not vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of fish most of the year so I take a supplement recommended by my doctor. I don't believe in using a ton of supplements but it's one that has shown to have an actual effect. Not all supplements are created equal so you do have to pay attention to what you get. The best way to get it is a variety of sources, as there are different types, not just omega 3 that your body needs.
    misecmisc1
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I have genes for degrading eye sight.

Dark Chocolate YaY!
    White and green tea Yay!
    Kale and other dark green leafy vegetables

You can also take a multi-vitamin with lutein such as 'I caps'
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Did you know that Yam noodles contain NO carbs -= and are therefore extremely healthy as part of a balanced diet, if you're trying (like me!) to 'cut the carbs'...??
    They're extremely nutritious too... must get me some!!

Maybe I'll call then "Yum noodles" - !
    Lucy_Begoodmisecmisc1Invincible_summeroceancaldera207

• please share some healthy vegetarian food eating tips/foods - especially things which can be eaten raw.

Eat more vegetables than fruit, fruit is good for you but full of sugars too.

i have been eating a raw clove of garlic daily from last week - i take it without anything else in evening, after that drink water and then tea - when i eat raw clove of garlic, there is a feeling of some burning sensation in my stomach - this does not last long, may be for a minute and after drinking water, this sensation usually goes away. so anybody here which has an experience of eating raw garlic? due to this raw garlic eating, i do not have any other problem currently from last week except feeling of some burning sensation in my stomach, which i said above. so please suggest if i should continue or discontinue eating raw garlic currently.

Sounds normal to me, onions and garlic contain chemicals which transform into sulphuric acid on contact with water, it's why your eyes sting when you cut them. I'd stop eating it on an empty stomach, have it alongside some carrot or something, but that's just me, you're not doing yourself any harm.

regarding omega-3, which i heard is available in fish, any suggestion for getting it in any veg diet.

You can buy vegetarian omega 3 capsules, they're pretty cheap.

any food, which helps in reduction of degrading eye-sight - or which helps keep eyes healthy.

Lutein is a protein found in the back of the eye, my optician recommended taking tablets to slow macular degeneration. They're pretty expensive though, so look around online for a deal if you can.

any other healthy veg foods either raw or by preparing.

Tomotoes. Packed full of vitamin c and lycopene which are awesomely good for you, just cram as many tomatoes into your face hole as you can.
    Lucy_Begoodmisecmisc1
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I have a carton of grape tomatoes bought each time we shop; it works awesome. Just whenever I am passing through the kitchen I have some almonds and tomatoes. Olives are also tasty and healthy.
    misecmisc1Invincible_summer
    I hate tomatoes. Well, not really hate. I don't like them though. I will eat them on the rare occasion I have a sandwich, but I cannot eat them just plain, not even right from the garden. I think it's more the texture than the taste. I have sensory issues with some things, tomatoes, legumes (beans, not peanuts), wet wool sweaters, lol, cotton balls, silk and some other things. Just touching them makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

One thing I would add to the list, is berries. They are incredibly good for you, especially if you can find them organic or pick them wild. Low on sugar compared to things like apples, oranges and bananas and high in antioxidants. I medium apple, banana or orange has about 3 times the carb/sugar as a cup of berries.
    person
  • karasti said:

I hate tomatoes. Well, not really hate. I don't like them though. I will eat them on the rare occasion I have a sandwich, but I cannot eat them just plain, not even right from the garden. I think it's more the texture than the taste. I have sensory issues with some things, tomatoes, legumes (beans, not peanuts), wet wool sweaters, lol, cotton balls, silk and some other things. Just touching them makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

One thing I would add to the list, is berries. They are incredibly good for you, especially if you can find them organic or pick them wild. Low on sugar compared to things like apples, oranges and bananas and high in antioxidants. I medium apple, banana or orange has about 3 times the carb/sugar as a cup of berries.

Everyone has something they dislike, for me it's aubergine (eggplant). Anything that colour is trying to tell you it's gross. lol

@Jeffrey I also love olives, they also go really well with tomatoes.
  • DaivaDaiva Veteran
    Been a vegetarian (sort of off-on) since 1998. (Only "fell off" because of job situations which demanded long hours and they'd give us food, of which i didn't have a choice).
    Raw Ginger root might be better if garlic is burning your stomach. Has similar healing properties but might be less harsh. Just cut up little bits and chew away.
    I am a big fan of juicing - you get more nutrients which your body absorbs more easily. The best is a centrifugical one which removes the fiber. (You can get enpugh fiber in other foods). My twice daily drink is several stocks of kale, celery, ginger root, tumeric root, lemon and two apples. And i throw in things like carrots, berries and beets and anything else that is starting to get over ripe.
    My optomotrist tells me I've got of the most healthy eyes he's seen.
    I use hemp protein in my oatmeal and salads and sometimes juices for protein and omegas.
    I also excersise alot and do a sugar-free whey protein powder after a workout.
    lobstermisecmisc1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    You should not eat raw garlic so much except for medical reasons.
    I was eating it raw, in capsules and cooked to deal with candida. Now I chop it, leave it for ten minutes or longer, the oxidisation improves the efficacy. Add it a minute before cooking has finished.

Raw fruit and veg, very healthy, cleanses the mind and body. Don't become a health freak. Middle way. Be healthy. Stay well.
    misecmisc1
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited July 2013
    hi all,

need some advice from you all.

when i was drinking alcohol/beer nearly 2 years back along with having chicken/meat/fish, then i accummulated some fat in my body and as per my family members, i looked healthy at that time(though my family members did not know i drank at that time).

since it is almost 2 years since i have left drinking alcohol/beer and left eating non-veg food, some of my fat has removed from my body.

just to give you some background, from my 15 years of age till almost something like 24 years of age, i was a thin, skinny person - you can get some idea like my height is around 5ft8inch and my weight was around 45 kg. i guess some of the reasons why my body never became healthy was that i was not interested in playing outdoor games, no physical exercises, also due to that nightfall problem of semen getting discharged from my body in my dreams in sleep with the frequency of 3 to 4 times in a week continuously for almost 14 years starting from 14 years of age till around i got married.

then after 24 years of age, i started drinking beer and then almost all type of alcoholic drinks, (i was eating non-veg from my childhood, so this continued - even though, my mother is vegetarian, so she did not prepared non-veg food, but my father got it prepared in his friend's house and then brought it and then i and my father had non-veg in our food, while my mother prepared veg food for herself) - so after this, i think my weight increased to somewhere around 58kg in the next 4 years - then after this i struck spirituality when i read Bhagwad Geeta and in Bhagwad Geeta, Lord Krishna taught that we should not eat non-veg food and not drink any alcoholic substance - so after reading this, i left eating non-veg food and stopped taking alcoholic drinks for the last 2 years nearly (though strictly at least in the last 1 year) till now.

now in these 2 years, my weight has dropped to something around 53kg over the past few months due to me getting affected with some skin infections, which are cured now by medicines. my family members are saying i have become weak and the fat which used to appear on my face has diminished and i look thin and skinny to them.

so the advice i need from you all is - how should i change my eating habits(means what type of things should i eat more) to gain fat so that i don't look thin and skinny? i take breakfast, lunch, dinner - so which should be the most important (heavy) diet in my eating out of these three? should i try to gain some fat to make my body strong - or - is it ok to be thin, skinny? moreover, suppose my body structure is such that even though how much i eat, i still will remain thin, then my concern is - how to make sure that my bones are healthy, so that when i get old i do not suffer from the problem that due to my bones being weak, at old age they start getting damaged - so how to make my bones healthy?

these questions came to my mind, so thought of getting advice from you all. as far as which type of food i wish to continue on, i think for the time being, i am thinking on going on with vegetarian food only as i have continued for at least 1 year now. i am from northern india, from the plain region, so we have plenty of vegetarian food available here throughout the year. so to eat non-veg food here is only because of taste purpose or with the desire of making the body look healthy with fat put on, like the advertisements of gyms with healthy guys. i want to look somewhat healthier than my skinny look currently, but i will not eat non-veg food just for me looking better in society. so currently i think to continue on veg food only. so please suggest on above questions, keeping vegetarian food only in perspective. thanks in advance.

metta to all sentient beings.
    It is more important that you eat a balanced diet that meets your nutritive and caloric needs. Some people are just naturally thin, and being otherwise can actually be unhealthy for them. Eating unhealthy food and drinking alcohol increases body inflammation which can lead to all sorts of health problems.

The question is not is it ok to be thinner or fatter. The question is, are you healthy? If not, then that is what you need to work on, not worrying about your body type. A lot of people just seem to criticize others because they look different, or even sometimes because they feel self-conscious in your presence. A friend of mine who is overweight, and very short so it shows more readily, has a husband who lost 80 pounds. He is now tall and thinner, and looks great and is far happier and healthier but his wife always tells him he's too thin, in part because she was used to his chubbier frame, and in part (so she has told me) because she no longer feels attractive in his presence. He also quit smoking while she has not. So, what other people think of you is not your concern. How you feel and how healthy you are, is. But, if you are sedentary, that has an impact too, no matter how good you eat. The body was meant to move, not sit around all day so make sure you put in some type of exercise. It doesn't have to be punishing, you can often turn other things you enjoy into exercise if you do them on a more regular basis.
    Jeffreymisecmisc1
  • maartenmaarten Veteran
    I like to cook rice and lentils together (both have around 25 minutes of cooking time). Lentils have quite a lot of incomplete protein, that is complemented by the rice.
    misecmisc1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm off wheat. can't tell you how much better, healthier and more energetic I feel.
    Wheat, and any gluten-bearing grains, are not good for you. At all.
    Since stopping wheat, my whole system is cleaner, fresher and I suffer no cramps, and believe it or not - do NOT break wind! Seriously!!
    Yeah, the grains on the market today are so far removed from their natural variety that they are hardly identifiable as the same family anymore. I stopped eating most grains last fall, it was the best thing I ever did. It freed up a ton of space in my diet which was filled in by healthier things, and like you I felt better within a short time. I don't know if they have the same effect on everyone, but if people suffer any sort of malady that has been ongoing for a long time (no matter how minor) getting off gluten and even other grains is usually what I tell them to try. Most of them don't want to, though. Too many things they don't want to give up, even if eating them means chronic headaches, achey joints, fatigue, bloatedness, and so on.
    edited July 2013
    so does it mean that eating wheat flour in chapatti is not healthy for us? or may be it can be due to the culture we are brought up in. in northern india, wheat flour is made into chapatti and is part of almost every diet be it breakfast, lunch, dinner. and if see the people of punjab (an indian state), there they do not eat rice or eat a very little rice, as rice does not grow there much due to climatic conditions and they rely heavily on chapati made of wheat flour, as wheat is heavily grown in that state and if we see the sikh community (as major religion of punjab state is sikhism), we see the sikhs are tall, heavy built up, on the overall they look healthy and strong. as far as my case goes, since i am from northern india, i have eaten chapattis made from wheat flour from my childhood till today in almost all diets like breakfast, lunch, dinner. usually what happens in my house is wheat grains are brought from the farmers and then the wheat grains are crushed into wheat flour in mills and then from that wheat flour, my mother and my wife makes chapattis from them.

but now, since my work-city is different from my native city, so in my work-city, this option of buying wheat grains and then cleaning it by removing unwanted stuff from the grains, then washing the grains and drying them in sun and then taking the ok wheat grains to mill for wheat flour - is too cumbersive or hectic - so now i am buying wheat flour directly from super-markets and then my wife prepares chapatti from that wheat flour. so does buying wheat flour from super-markets unhealthy these days? please suggest. thanks in advance.
    It would depend if the wheat that is grown in that part of India has been sold to the farmers (as so much of it has been recently) by US companies that sell and market their GMO wheat all over the world. Few people seem to have problems with actual natural versions of wheat, which is much, much different but not used in many areas of the world anymore, and hard to get. But if the wheat comes from Cargill and Monsanto in the US, no good. The wheat is modified so that it will grow even when the farmer uses certain pesticides (shockingly, made by Monsanto, also known as Round Up Ready crops). They are much more expensive for the farmers, and many of them end up going broke because of it, and worse. They enter into contracts that they have a hard time keeping, because the wheat doesn't always grow in India's climate but they have no way out once they agree to use those seeds. Bad news.

Look online for a documentary about it called Bad Seed: The Truth about our Food. Aside from the health concerns so many people experience, they are (IMO) a bad, bad company and they have wormed their way into the agriculture in most countries now, sadly.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Some of us live in US. Here, grains have been bred to be drought-resistant and other things, and the soil is fertilized for them with chemical fertilizer. We also have winter wheat, which is literally planted in late fall or winter and lies dormant in soil for most part, then sprouts earlier than normal wheat and grows before normal wheat sprouts, so we get an early harvest. This comes at a cost, not as healthy for people as used to be.

So, for you in India, the wheat you get probably is in-country grown, more the old-fashioned way grown. So for you is probably different than for us in US. If you get bloated when eating wheat, you may be eating imported wheat, though.
    edited July 2013
    See these links.....

....here.

also this.

here's the author.

But to give a balanced objective:

I think what it comes down to, is the proof of the pudding is in the - NOT - eating!

All I can say is that I personally feel measurably better now, than I have in a long time.
    I still eat some carbs, such as in rice (very occasionally) and Quinoa (very often) so I'm not going ENTIRELY without.

But the fundamental point is that each person must try it for themselves.
    edited July 2013
    hi all,

in order to gain weight, out of breakfast, lunch and dinner - is there any order in which these diets should be heavy? means which should be the most heavy diet and which lightest? considering the fact that i work in an office from nearly 10am to nearly 7pm and also i am currently on vegetarian foods only. any idea, please. thanks in advance.
  • You want to gain weight?

I'm not a nutritionist, but I do know that if you eat more in the evening you'll put on weight through fat as you're taking in lots of calories before being sedentary for a long time when asleep.
    If you are needing to gain weight, you want to do it healthily. Just putting on pounds of fat is not going to make (or keep) you healthy. Some people are just naturally thin. You would be better off, if you are concerned with your weight, at adding muscle as opposed to fat. Some people have an unhealthy body fat level, which isn't good for you, but that isn't very common. Heavy strength training will add pounds (slowly but more heathily) and give your body more shape. But it takes a concentrated effort and a good diet high in calories and protein, to put on muscle weight.

You will have a hard time gaining body fat being vegetarian, but you can healthfully increase the # of calories you eat by adding a handful of nuts a couple times a day. The general rules is that a pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you really NEED to gain fat (and not just weight or body shape) then you need to add 500 calories to your diet every day, 7 days a week to gain 1 pound a week. You would need about 3/4 of cup of raw (unsalted) nuts a day to do that. Trying to do that in leafy greens would be almost impossible since most of them are about 30 calories per cup...20 cups of greens is a lot...lol. Nuts are a good way to add healthy fats and calories to a veggie diet. If you eat eggs, they are another good option both for some extra calories and protein. Eat some peanut butter (healthy fats and protein and calories) with your lunch and some nuts during the day, that'll help up your calorie intake pretty quickly.

misecmisc1
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Oh man I wish I had to gain weight! Chocolate chip cookie dough mmmmmm
    adventuress