Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion Outreach

nenkohainenkohai Veteran
edited June 2013 in Buddhism Today
I wonder as to your thoughts on this idea -- one of Christianity's strengths is its outreach to the poor, under developed nations... in general "mission projects." Does Buddhism have a counter part to that? Perhaps its something that individual sanghas take up. Even just the individual.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There has been in more recent years an attempt to do this Thich Naht Hahn is big into this as well as Roshi Bernie Glassman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engaged_Buddhism

I could be wrong about this but I believe Atisha's main disciple Dromtonpa spent the later part of his life helping lepers. I also remember hearing other isolated stories about great masters acting in a more engaged way, nothing systematic though.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I was taught that Buddhist evangelism was a no-no.

I have thought, however, that Buddhist monks should do more community outreach instead of mostly waiting for the people to come to them. Not for the purpose of conversion, but strengthening the community and helping people.

I am speaking here of my experiences in Thailand.
    riverflowkarmablues
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited June 2013
    The Tzu Chi Foundation comes to mind.

In fact, I think I've seen more of this outreach work done by Mahayana groups and not very much by Theravada. I wonder how much the Bodhisattva Vow comes into play.
    riverflow
  • Doesnt really exist much in buddhism...

Gandhi once said;
    “I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your christ"

And thats how i feel about buddhism!

"I love buddha, but i dont necessarily like 'buddhists' ..They are so 'unlike' what they say buddha was like.. Most are rude, uncompassionate, always have to be RIGHT - always 'my way or the high way' kind of attitude..
    Theres not much helping one another!

Ive been to a few buddhist centres and retreats etc.. And wow, they are just plain rude, and if you are not apart of 'their' sangha, they treat you abit like a convict alian... lol!

Also, ive noticed that if you are a new comer, they hate starting at the very bottom and explaining themselves, (these are supposed to be teachers aswell) and they come across like they havent got time for any new starters etc....

I know it sounds funny and strange but its true!

(I have always stood by this and i will say it again and again;
    "i have genuinly known and know more enlightened, nice, compassionate, thoughtful people who are NOT buddhists (or following any path) and instead they are just followng their own 'moral-friendly-nature'."

People who 'follow' a path (whether spiritual or not) seem very quick tempered, and Mr i-know-it-all' ... Just because they have 'studied' a religion or philosophy for a few years!
    @zenmyste, I'm curious...what sect of Buddhism's sanghas have you visited. I've never felt that way at a Thai temple.
    Invincible_summerkarmablues
  • vinlyn said:

@zenmyste, I'm curious...what sect of Buddhism's sanghas have you visited. I've never felt that way at a Thai temple.

Oh sorry, i should have made it clear..
    I want to state firstly that ive been to Thailand many times and i have always felt welcomed in the thai temples... They are amazing people in thailand!!!

Now for the 'not-so-nice' , im mainly talking about back here in the UK!
    Ive visited some in 'manchester, london, wales! And the worst was in manchester! There are not many 'temples' here so not many 'monks' so i guess they are more 'lay people' who teach buddhism and meditation, and to be harsh "they are not nice people at all" dont make you feel welcome! In fact, they make you want to run a mile!!

Again tho, i want to state; how nice it is in Thai monastries, they really are the 'real deal' !
    Im hoping to return later this year!!! :-)
    karmabluesChe
    I do find, even in Thai sanghas here in the States, that the Thais are "shy" when a farang comes in. But, although it takes them some time to warm up, they always become quite friendly.

I remember a time back in Virginia when 2 of the teachers who worked in my school asked if I would take them to a Thai Buddhist temple. I agreed. And when we arrived at the usual time I would visit, we were told that that day only was a private ceremony for the year after someone's death. Nevertheless, the family welcomed us in and asked us to "participate".
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I once saw once that some Buddhist had said that he and his group did not give out physical aid and just fought giving Dharma/Dhamma was all that was needed which was stupid because how can people in Poorer countries receive Dharma if they are going to die the next day because of lack of clean water and food or because of illness.
  • The Tzu Chi Foundation comes to mind.

<3
  • @zenmyst

You might want to check out some UK temples in the tradition of the Thai Forest Monks (more specifically, Ajahn Chah in these cases)

Amaravati Buddhist Monastery
    Great Gaddesden,
    Hemel Hempstead,
    Hertfordshire HP1 3BZ.

Tel. Office: +44 (0)144 284 2455
    Fax. +44 (0)144 284 3721
    Retreat Centre: +44 (0)144 284 3239

http://www.amaravati.org

Cittaviveka
    Chithurst Buddhist Monastery
    Chithurst, Petersfield,
    Hampshire, GU31 5EU,

Tel: +44 (0)1730 814 986
    Fax: +44 (0)1730 817 334

http://www.cittaviveka.org/

Aruna Ratanagiri
    Harnham Buddhist Monastery
    Harnham,
    Belsay,
    Northumberland NE20 0HF.

Tel. +44 (0)1661 881 612
    Fax. +44 (0)1661 881 019

http://www.ratanagiri.org.uk

Hartridge Buddhist Monastery
    Odle Cottage,
    Upottery,
    Honiton,
    Devon EX14 9QE.

Tel. +44 (0)1404 89 1251
    Fax. +44 (0)1404 89 0023

http://www.hartridgemonastery.org
    zenmyste
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think people could do outreach without trying to stuff Buddhism into the mix. One can practice compassion as a person and not as a Buddhist. I have a friend who is involved with an orphanage in Bolivia, and while the kids no doubt appreciate the help, they are very much evangelistic. The people are required to receive bibles and attend various Christian talks in order to keep the help coming down there. I guess I find that wrong. If they want to offer, that is one thing. but to make it a condition on receiving assistance? That just is horrible to me. Not saying all Christians do this by any means.

Our Sangha leader runs a charity that he started after visiting a country (can't recall which, Vietnam maybe I"ll have to look) and coming home to ask the locals here to donate money to help build some orphaned children a home. He does good work, and is a good example, I think, of Buddhist outreach. He is Buddhist, but most people don't know he is and it's in NO way conditional on his assistance or anything else. He's pretty well off and donates quite a bit of money to help people, but he wants to be involved in the helping and not just sending money, so he travels a few times a year to help build houses and such. This is his website, just as an example of what some people are doing:

http://www.suninmyheart.org/

personpommesetorangeslobster
  • edited June 2013
    Opportunities abound no matter what your beliefs.
    Soup kitchens, food shelf, homeless shelters, hospitals, Habitat for Humanity, Kinship, Big Brother/Sister, etc.
    Religions don't provide compassion, people do.
    lobster