Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

singing in the shower with Kant

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Put this on my blog this morning and kind of liked it, so I thought I would inflict it here as well:

SINGING IN THE SHOWER WITH KANT

Karaoke is an exercise in which an amateur performer sings the lyrics of a popular song and is backed up by the same music the original famous performer had ... but the original performer's voice has been excised.

Bars and other gathering places sometimes have karaoke nights on which the very brave or the very egotistical or the very drunk can test their vocal wings and strut their stuff. The audience is free to hoot or applaud and the performer is free to bask in the glory or suffer the despair.

OK ... a borrowed background against which to place a new and original voice. The background offers an acknowledged/popular seriousness and thereby confers some safety to what is clearly a very personal risk.

Karaoke looks like a lot of fun, whatever the eek factor.

But, more broadly, living life according to borrowed backgrounds strikes me as an exercise that may facilitate beginnings, but really becomes impoverished if utilized for a whole lifetime. "I am a Buddhist," for example: When the comforting music stops, where is the original music?

In France, if I judge by this personal essay, students studying for a literary baccalaureat degree are graded according to seven segments of their studies. The overall grade assesses each of the seven segments, but among them, philosophy is given the greatest weight.

"Other countries have school-leaving exams which cover the history of ideas and religion and so on. But the French are very clear that that is not what theirs is.
The purpose of the philosophy Bac is not to understand the history of human thought but to leap into the stream that is the actuality of human thought."

In other words, students are not so much expected to ingest and rest safely in the background music of Plato or William of Ockham or Kant or Hegel or Schopenhauer or Heidegger or Sartre as they are asked to be them ... in effect, for students to sing their own music without a safety net.

It may all sound exceptionally top-lofty or simple as a teaspoon of sugar, but isn't this the way of things -- learning a little of the background not so that the background will rise to a greater station of veneration and safety but rather as a stepping stone to an utterly unconstrained lifestyle?

No more fakin' it. No more safety nets.

Others may say it "sounds like" Kant or J Lo or Jung or Buddha or Jesus and applaud or hoot. That's their problem.

The orchestra has gone home.

This is just singing in the shower.
Guipersonsova

Comments

• AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    Gassho
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Apologies for the entry. I cut-and-pasted it without re-linking to the personal essay I referred to ... here is the link.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    That is just wonderful.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The only problem is that it's all been done before :P
    betaboy
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Beautiful my friend. Thanks many for sharing (=

*follows you around all day with two turn tables and a microphone*
  • Interesting. I liked it.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Sometime the French seem a lot more sensible than most nations.
    rivercane
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Any nation that can produce Medoc and Vichyssoise is OK with moi.