Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"low self esteem"

edited October 2006 in Sanghas
Iv heard that HHDL did not no what "low self esteem" was.. and that he later followed through and did some research on it. the reason was that in the east there was / is no
such thing..
i find that very interesting.. and i have my assumptions of why.. and how things are
different here in the west. and iv heard buddhist reasons.. i just cant figure it all out. if anyone wants to share their thoughts in applying a buddhist connection as to how this is so different from east to west.. that would be great.
i find it a great interest.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Just a thought, but I'd say it probably has something to do with the different view of the individual in society between the East and the West. In the West the individual is preeminent. Social norms are seen more for setting limits of personal expression, which is still considered superior to the group. In the East, however, it's quite different. The individual is taught that his/her needs are not as important as the group's. Social norms are designed to benefit the group rather than the individual. Therefore low self esteem wouldn't even be possible as that would be an expression of individual ego, which is considered to be of little or no value to society in general. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's not recognized as something called "low self-esteem". It would be more likely considered to be a failure of the individual to conform to the needs of the social group.

It's sort of like the way homosexuality is viewed in West and East. In the West it's all about the individual again with a person's right to self-fulfillment considered to be much more important than society's view of the way the person goes about it. Being gay becomes the person's identity, the mask he/she wears in society, and the person's right to wear that mask and behave the way he/she chooses (within limits, of course) is considered sacrosanct. In the East, once again, it's society's perceived needs that are preeminent. Although sex between young monks is commonplace in Tibet, for example, any suggestion that they are gay would receive a blank stare. They're just having sex, not assuming a particular identity. Their identity is as a monk within a monastery that exists in the social space known as Tibet (or at least that used to be the case before a certain neighbor walked in and changed everything). So any identity the individual assumes is based more on the function they fulfill in society than any individual expression of some kind of personal identity.

Does that make sense?

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    wow.. great read.. thanx thanx
    i am goin to reread.. there was lots there~
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Dudey... I'd kinda thought that I see it as much in Asia as in the West...

I sorta figured that everyone would suffer from low-esteem some time in their lives... Well I have a friend whom I try hard to make him confident (because he simply suffers from inconfidence), and I guess perhaps it could be that HHDL simply didn't really thought of that in monasteries - just as they don't usually think of stuff like the Iraqi War and stuff...

Crikey... This gets me thinking... Perhaps the West (or the East even) really has alot we can all learn from the humble monk...
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks for asking Colleen........good question

Palzang, Thanks for the great answer...........
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, great answer, Palzang!
  • edited September 2006
    to add to that palzang

we in the west are all about ego period.!!!. expecially this generation of kids.. as a mom, if you didnt have lil holly in dance/piano/and soccer you were a bad mom. "yes dear what are your feelings on what you would like to eat today" are common phrases i heard as i was raising my kids.. ( to which i never bought into ) .. and what kind of dress do you want to wear today" .. i could go on and on. .. we thought we were feeding self esteem?
    we were feeding an ego..
    and out of that only makes stand out.. I .. ME.. and what goes up comes down.. meaning as big as we blow up the ego we can feel " depressed and insecure and not worthy" because we dont have the designer coat, or a boyfriend at a certain age, or meet the standard look seen in magazines,

one begins to find.. they dont measure up . they feel not as good, very insecure when all the measures they have been fed as a kid arent being fed anymore.

i guess women continue to spend huge money on makeups and creams to "feel good/young".. drink or abuse drugs for feelings of depression and insecurity.. because the ego may never have been fed as a kid.. when all the culture thought that was wrong.

i could go on and on here. this could be a lengthy thread of posts..
    next life maybe i will choose the east to be born..tehe

cas i stil buy the makeup etc. lol
    i guess its balance as to what your culture is.
    anyway.. just thought i would add to my thread.. and thanks for the guidence on this quest.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I think it's all due to culture. in the East, where Buddhism originated, many people are brought up with the notion of non-attachment, no-self, or to think of others before themselves. Here, in the consumer-driven West, we have an over-blown sense of self, based around our possessions and attachments. If we don't have what others have, we are somehow perceived to be lesser than them, so our self-esteem goes down. Those of us who are content with what we have, I think, are less likely to suffer from low self-esteem.
  • edited September 2006
    hey good stuff!

"i had to reread.. i thought you said.. "here on consumers drive" meaning a street in the west.. lol"

i thought ya.. cool.. we do have alot of consumers drives in the west..
    anyway. .. im glad i saw the humour in that.. and your point on your reply was well read.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Ego-satisfaction is the very foundation on which Western democracy is built. Do away with it and we have to reconsider our whole economic and political structure.

This is why democracy is anathema to many 'Muslim', 'Hindu' and 'Christian' extremists. In Egypt (as well as on some extreme Christian web fora), the religio-politicians called for a final election which would put their version of sharia in power, after which no further election would be necessary! And I have found similar sentiments among the KKKristian 'neo-cons': theocracy rules.

If we are promoting non-self as a way to live with each other, what is the alternative to the US or UK models and institutions of democracy? How do we, for example, arrive at a system of consensus?

I believe this to be a vital question because 21st century Buddhism is no longer the social opt-out into monasticism that it once was. It must confront the political world with a theoretical structure that can replace the current one.
    edited September 2006
    An an Easterner, I guess there are many misrepresentations raised here...

Well, it is true that we are brought up to put others before us and all that pro-social behaviour, but still, all that is something taught only, and the fact of whether it is indoctrinated into us seems fairly questionable...

I guess Paretto's Principle work here, I'd dare argue, even as one Asian speaking for the rest, that what the West sees as the East is as much as 20% of the people (who all happen to be good-hearted) of Asia and there is still a good 80% of not-so-nice people in Asia that remain unseen to the West (for very good reason indeed!).

You'll notice... That in the East, despite the few democracies that have grown, where some "democracies" sadly, are so only constitutionally, but remain bound to the influence of religious authorities. Most of us still remain under autocractic regimes, and some under Communism dictatorships. Such means that power itself is concentrated, and what you see is not always what you get.

While I'd gurantee that the education syllabuses, as well as the "ideal" of all the Asian countries seems to point more towards a civic society, I cannot do the same to gurantee our own Asian way of life pointing towards a more civic society. Well, one exception is Japan, but that took like hundreds of years for such identities to build up, and that it is indeed a liberal, full-fledged democracy.

We Asians are as influenced by the West as any other place in the world. Heck, even before Western influence, bandits, pirates, barbarians, bloodthirsty triads, swordsmen, war-liking maharajas etc. etc. ruled over all Asia in various ages and guises. We have been so long used to power-concentration, that ultimately, the brutal policies of such rulers rub off on our forefathers, and colonial Asia, significantly with its huge immigration numbers, started off as "each man for his own, all for a better life!" Helping each another? Maybe. But that's as much limited as to family, close friends, and in the long past of kampongs and small villages, fellow villagers.

The West in generalizing this may have left out many factors e.g. religion, size, control, the "ideal" state that is pro-social but non-existent compared to the "real-world" state that is so individualistic but well - that's life etc. etc.

True, I'll not discount the many notables who indeed are great "ideal" Asians, the HHDL etc. etc. (Darn, I realize I don't really know many secular Asians with a name in the West), but has mistaken the Asian "ideal" for being the Asian "real-world".

But, in anyway, we Asia have a headstart because we have already been planning such an ideal environment for millenias now! :p

Well, link one thing to the other, and you realize that Asians are as prone to low self-esteem as Westerners. If you haven't ever met an Asian who has never been depressed, never been sad, always happy - boy, you sure are lucky. (Hey, HHDL doesn't count!) :p :rockon: :)
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited October 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Although sex between young monks is commonplace in Tibet, for example, any suggestion that they are gay would receive a blank stare. They're just having sex, not assuming a particular identity. Their identity is as a monk within a monastery that exists in the social space known as Tibet (or at least that used to be the case before a certain neighbor walked in and changed everything).

I just thought I'd say that that is disturbing to me (that sex between young monks is commonplace). Is everyone else ok with that? I would like to know.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2006
    I hear that sex between other young people is commonplace, right here in America... Does that disturb you as well?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I think you also have to consider that the whole attitude towards sex in Asia (and in fact most of the rest of the world) is quite different than it is here in America. They're not so hung up on it. They have a much more relaxed attitude towards. It's not that it doesn't happen here as well, but we tend to end up on the psychiatrist's couch for years because of the sexual hangups we inherit from our culture.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    I think you also have to consider that the whole attitude towards sex in Asia (and in fact most of the rest of the world) is quite different than it is here in America. They're not so hung up on it. They have a much more relaxed attitude towards. It's not that it doesn't happen here as well, but we tend to end up on the psychiatrist's couch for years because of the sexual hangups we inherit from our culture.

Palzang

Ugh...no kidding, Palzang. What is our country's hang up with sex anyways?? Its just sex!!!!!
  • edited October 2006
    I just thought I'd say that that is disturbing to me (that sex between young monks is commonplace). Is everyone else ok with that? I would like to know.

I am ok with it...doesn't really bother me. What about it is disturbing to you?

The fact that so many priests have sex with young children is WAY more troubling to me than that is!
  • edited October 2006
    I thought that monks were suppose to be celibate. Is this wrong thinking on my part?
  • edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I am ok with it...doesn't really bother me. What about it is disturbing to you?

The fact that so many priests have sex with young children is WAY more troubling to me than that is!

YogaMama,

It disturbs me, too, about priests having sex with children---ugh! Disgusting!

Adiana:mad: :wtf:
    edited October 2006
    I also thought that monks were supposed to be celibate. I thought that they were also taught to show restraint. Is having casual sex with multiple partners fine? and why is age very important? (like priests having sex with children) A lot of times kids don't know what's best for them so they consent. The reason it all disturbs me is because I like to show a little restraint especially if I were a monk pursuing spiritual matters and enlightenment. It disturbs me because people have a hard time defining when sex is 'wrong'. Is it always all right in any form? I don't think so. My view is that it is 'wrong' or bad when it is unhealthy and casual sex is unhealthy to one's emotions and psyche. Mutliple partner sex is also very physically unhealthy. These things bother me because if sex is just for pleasure whenever we want however we want... then things will happen such as priests with small children, group sex, and even bestiality. How far is too far? These things bother me because they seem to destroy what I believe sex was meant for. It is a great thing but I don't think everyone should share it (like 'free love' in the 60's) or abuse it. Those are just my thoughts.
    Also, a sexual predator lived in my home for years and he was older than me. My parents didn't exactly know that he did those types of things but he ended up basically raping my younger brother and molesting me. So that also makes me much more uptight about sexuality.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I thought that monks were suppose to be celibate. Is this wrong thinking on my part?

I said young monks, but they're not really monks. They dress like monks, they live in the monastery, but they're not really monks. They're actually students. That's the most common way to get educated in Tibet, at least it used to be, so many children are sent to the monastery to study. If they want to become a monk, they're not allowed to take vows until they're old enough to understand what it is they're vowing. I'm not sure how old that is, but at least teenage. So before that they're just kids away at boarding school.

Palzang
    edited October 2006
    I wonder... Countries such as Thailand, Burma send boys to monasteries for teaching (where I am been taught that it is compulsory) where it is like military draft for other countries with civillan defence forces.

Singapore used to have, or could possibly still be having, two-week long Pure Land enrolment in monasteries, where parents could opt for their children to be sent to monasteries for two weeks to learn the basics of Buddhism, and live life as a monk (yes, heads shaved and little sleep!).

How... Practical are these things I question? (Even though news reports I remember quote such two-week-long monks as having learnt self-discipline and various Buddhist ideals during the course)
  • edited October 2006
    I also thought that monks were supposed to be celibate. I thought that they were also taught to show restraint. Is having casual sex with multiple partners fine? and why is age very important? (like priests having sex with children) A lot of times kids don't know what's best for them so they consent. The reason it all disturbs me is because I like to show a little restraint especially if I were a monk pursuing spiritual matters and enlightenment. It disturbs me because people have a hard time defining when sex is 'wrong'. Is it always all right in any form? I don't think so. My view is that it is 'wrong' or bad when it is unhealthy and casual sex is unhealthy to one's emotions and psyche. Mutliple partner sex is also very physically unhealthy. These things bother me because if sex is just for pleasure whenever we want however we want... then things will happen such as priests with small children, group sex, and even bestiality. How far is too far? These things bother me because they seem to destroy what I believe sex was meant for. It is a great thing but I don't think everyone should share it (like 'free love' in the 60's) or abuse it. Those are just my thoughts.
    Also, a sexual predator lived in my home for years and he was older than me. My parents didn't exactly know that he did those types of things but he ended up basically raping my younger brother and molesting me. So that also makes me much more uptight about sexuality.

I agree with you on so many of the points that you made. There are so many of us on here that were also sexually abused, so we know what you mean when you say this subject makes you uptight. :) My point in saying that the monks having sex doesn't bother me was that I know they are not perfect, and they are young, so they truly are not monks yet (just like Palzang pointed out). Being celebate is a lot to ask of a person!

I just feel that our country makes sex such a taboo subject that it makes people feel guilty for having sex and it makes it seem so "dirty". No, I don't agree that it is ok to have sex with multiple partners, or just have casual sex, etc, but I just think we wouldn't have such an issue with it if it didn't seem so "taboo". Does that make sense?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I think it should probably be mentioned that - most Western society has been ingrained with teachings of Christianity. Thou shalt not this and Thou shalt not that.

In other cultures, there hasn't been any teachings against adultery. There hasn't been Sodoms and Gomorrahs that were destroyed because of "men turning to men" and seeking "strange flesh" and so on.

Other societies probably look at sex a whole lot different than centuries of people who have been mentally punished and warped by the good Book.

If we find that we are apalled by young people, mutually consenting to sex in a country and background completely different from ours - we should ask ourselves why we are so disturbed by it and what causes us to feel so.

This just reminded me of a book I'm reading. Here is a scenario that the author presented:

A brother and an sister, both in their late teens (both legally adults) decide to spend the weekend at the family lake place. While they were there, the discussed with each other that they had never engaged in the act of sex with anyone.

The brother and the sister then decided to have sex with each other. They knew each other and thought it would be okay to experiment.

So, the brother and the sister had sex a couple of times that weekend. Afterwards, they talked about it and while they felt that the act had brought them closer together and made them feel a deeper love and caring for each other - that they would not try it again because it just wasn't for them.

So - what are your thoughts about this brother and sister having sex?

-bf
    edited October 2006
    I would object based on the genetic factor, and also based on the real-life complication of it. (Unless of course, both of you are really so comfy with it) :p
    edited October 2006
    Oh... I forgot to mention... they both used birth control / protection. No chance of procreating was possible.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    It happens amongst animals...I cannot think of any logical, mammalian reason why it shouldn't happen....I'm sure once upon a time, this happened quite openly...I'm equally sure it still does, 'behind closed doors'... though perhaps not quite as widely...

The only objections are genetic, (there is more chance, in the case of impregnation, of there being a genetically defective offspring...Inbreeding with show-animals proves this) and Moral/Social/Religious... take the imposition of socio-religious prejudices away, and what can one object to?
  • edited October 2006
    My first reaction to it is a little bit of "disgust" since the love you have for a sibling is nothing like the love you have for your spouse/significant other and I truly can not imagine doing that. That being said, since they were both adults, and both agreed it was ok, and used birth control, well, then I guess it would be ok. And like fede said, once you take away the socio-religious prejudices, what can I really object to??
  • edited October 2006
    what is this book you are reading, bf? Just curious.
    edited October 2006
    That was the authors point.

When he relays this scenario to people, most of them are disgusted. Then he says, "Why?"

"Well, their kids will be retarded."
    "Nope. No kids. They used protection."
    "It's perverse and will cause emotional issues."
    "Nope. In the story, they said it made them closer."
    "Well... then I guess I can't think of anything, but it's still wrong."

And no one can tell the author why it's wrong.

Not that I'm condoning this - I'm just saying that I think it's been something that has been defined as taboo and wrong in Western culture for so long - that we cannot see it any other way.

Just like there may be other things we, as Westerners, have been conditioned about for so long - that we don't see things with clear eyes or a clear heart. Not that ~everything~ should be "accepted" - but that we should really try to see it as it is. Instead of letting our gut reactions immediately define our response.

The book is:

http://www.happinesshypothesis.com/

-bf
    edited October 2006
    I dunno... I choose to trust that what happens in the book is exactly just fiction - for I have seen people do stupid things in real-life hoping that they would turn out the way storybooks write them to be (talk about fairytales...). :p

If I remember correctly, Chinese legend believes that Nu-wa, the Creator of Man, formed us out of clay and married her brother to be her husband - could this be perhaps a reflection of the Asian attitude?

Well, ancient Egyptians did it when the Pharoah had to be made Pharoah... If the Bible was right for a while, it did happen too for a while... I think it is only how we have evolved so far - but if to speak of it in use for procreation now I guess nope.

For bringing siblings closer... I dunno.... I think incest has been long associated with the likes of the adult film factory. Whether in real life it is the way as fiction, I wonder. Yet real-life accounts of people becoming married, only to find out that they happen to be long-lost siblings, usually choose one identity out of the two.

Besides, if sex is to be used in this case, would that not violate the precept on sexual misconduct since it is not used for the conventional, emotional love instead? (For me, that's the purpose of sex.)
    edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I agree with you on so many of the points that you made. There are so many of us on here that were also sexually abused, so we know what you mean when you say this subject makes you uptight. :) My point in saying that the monks having sex doesn't bother me was that I know they are not perfect, and they are young, so they truly are not monks yet (just like Palzang pointed out). Being celebate is a lot to ask of a person!

I just feel that our country makes sex such a taboo subject that it makes people feel guilty for having sex and it makes it seem so "dirty". No, I don't agree that it is ok to have sex with multiple partners, or just have casual sex, etc, but I just think we wouldn't have such an issue with it if it didn't seem so "taboo". Does that make sense?

Yes, it does make sense. I appreciate what you are saying.
    edited October 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

If we find that we are apalled by young people, mutually consenting to sex in a country and background completely different from ours - we should ask ourselves why we are so disturbed by it and what causes us to feel so.

So - what are your thoughts about this brother and sister having sex?

-bf

Well I tried to explain to everyone why it bothered me.

"The reason it all disturbs me is because I like to show a little restraint especially if I were a monk pursuing spiritual matters and enlightenment. It disturbs me because people have a hard time defining when sex is 'wrong'."

I agree that sometimes we can be mislead to think that something is 'wrong' even if we don't have a logical reason as to why it actually is wrong. I like to use the terms healthy and unhealthy as well as positive and negative (rather than the terms right or wrong). My thoughts about the siblings having sex is that why couldn't they have just waited for a significant other, if you will? why did they choose to have sex right then? just curiousity? that's their reason? Also, I think that even though it may have been consensual that there are still emotional/psychological/spiritual issues and problems that arise from such an act. I, again, come back to asking what was the purpose of them having sex? I can't believe that they grew 'closer' in any sort of positive way... maybe I'm wrong but I find that truly hard to believe. A fictional book is just a fictional book and it is my guess that in real life things wouldn't have turned out so smoothly. Lastly, what is the purpose of sex, I must ask? To me it is an expression of the true love two people have for each other (and of course, to really "enjoy each other's company" by partaking in something so wonderful and intimate) So, if one chooses to have casual sex in a way that could possibly be damaging to one's health then I must say I don't think that that is all right.
    I try my best to have a solid reason for what I do or how I think. However, that isn't always the case and it is humbling to admit that sometimes I just tense up on issues and don't necessarily have any well thought out reason for how I think. So, this is a good discussion.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Oh... I forgot to mention... they both used birth control / protection. No chance of procreating was possible.

-bf

Good thing. Everybody knows what happens when a brother and sister do it - two headed babies!

Now, where did I put that "strange flesh"...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I try my best to have a solid reason for what I do or how I think. However, that isn't always the case and it is humbling to admit that sometimes I just tense up on issues and don't necessarily have any well thought out reason for how I think. So, this is a good discussion.

BTS,

I think that's one of the wisest and most honest things I've ever read. Very cool. And you express yourself beautifully. I feel the same way you do but wouldn't have been able to express it nearly as well. Thanks.
    edited October 2006
    I want to say that I truly appreciate your response. I am honored.
  • edited October 2006
    This is a seriously interesting discussion. I'm not sure what my view is on it.

There is a family that I know and I believe that the older brother is in love with his younger sister. It shows in his actions. When he hugs her, kisses her hello etc... He is 30 and has never married. The sister does not feel the same way, you can tell. She is happily married and has just had her 1st child. Other ppl have also noticed that he has feelings for her more than say brotherly love. I don't know how I feel about it. One, it's not my business and two......I guess I feel sad for him......He has to be in a lot of mental pain....To be in love with someone that you know no matter what you can not have........They are christians and so this subject would be nothing to them but WRONG!!
    And so that too would make your mental well being even worse because you would believe your love is as many christians would believe.....Sick, disgusting, dirty etc...

I guess my 1st thoughts on this is that it is wrong also. But I was also raised a christian so is it because that is ingrained in me? Some interesting points have been made here.
    Interesting food for thought.......
  • edited October 2006
    I try my best to have a solid reason for what I do or how I think. However, that isn't always the case and it is humbling to admit that sometimes I just tense up on issues and don't necessarily have any well thought out reason for how I think.

Same here! Sometimes, we just feel a certain way about a subject, and we are not really sure why! I am sure that is just completely normal.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Again, I think it points to the problem of clinging to any view as permanent and unchanging. In Ancient Egypt it was commonplace and accepted amongst royalty for a brother to marry his sister and have children. (Of course, it must be said that this also may have contributed to the eventual collapse of the royal line as there were undoubtedly many children born to such a marriage that were mentally and/or physically defective.) Whether this was done in the rest of the population isn't known but doubtful since the incestuous relationships were probably a way of ensuring that the royal line stayed within the family. But the point is that it is very difficult to say that something which one culture regards as a taboo must always be a taboo. The human heart is much more compex than that. I think each case must be viewed on its own without all the cultural baggage. Of course, that won't happen, but I think if you have equanimity of view that is the correct way to view it.

Palzang