Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the best 'descriptive' story of buddhas Enlightenment? What made him enlightened?

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2013 in General Banter
There a many books on what the buddha TAUGHT???

But i had yet to find a decent descriptive source that talks about HOW and WHY he became enlightened...

We know that 'siddhartha' set out in search to find inner peace , happiness - enlightenment!

He studied with lots of teachers!

He then meditated under a tree...

BUT THEN WHAT???

How did his suffering end???
And how did he attain enlightenment!

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @zenmyste -- If you really want to know the answer to those questions, there is only one recourse: Practice.
    riverflowInvincible_summerCittaFullCircle
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I don't know where the source is.

But according to Rob Burbea the became enlightened when he was investigating the 12 links of dependent origination. He was down to what is the condition for consciousness? Name and form. And then he asked what is the condition for name and form? Consciousness. Right there, he realized the profound unborn nature of everything.
    zenff
  • genkaku said:

@zenmyste -- If you really want to know the answer to those questions, there is only one recourse: Practice.

Well no, and for 2 reasons!

1. I wanted to know about buddhas enlightenment 'because' he is the one teachings us that enlightenment is possible, therefore i want to read about it then please!!

2. Im not just going to practice something on blind faith! I want to read about his enlightenment, what he did, what he saw, and then i would make my own mind up!!!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think you are completely correct here. The only way your practice might lead you to the understanding you seek would be if you actually became enlightened in this lifetime.
    zenmyste
  • But are there any sources that do talk about 'his' enlightenment??

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Really what does enlightenment mean?
    As a concept it's totally subjective.
    Did Buddha get what I would conceive of as enlightenment? I don't know and more so it really doesn't matter because his enlightenment is not mine. I study the teachings not because of some event in his life or the promise of my own liberation but because these teachings are IMO full of wisdom and truth and I find them to be excellent guides for my life. Enlightenment or not, it really does not matter, the truth is right in front of you.
    I_AM_THATperson
  • Really what does enlightenment mean?
    As a concept it's totally subjective.
    Did Buddha get what I would conceive of as enlightenment? I don't know and more so it really doesn't matter because his enlightenment is not mine. I study the teachings not because of some event in his life or the promise of my own liberation but because these teachings are IMO full of wisdom and truth and I find them to be excellent guides for my life. Enlightenment or not, it really does not matter, the truth is right in front of you.

But is the point not to follow the teachings because its the path to happiness? Liberation? Enlightenment?

Therefore IT SHOULD MATTER to you!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry, you're barking up the wrong tree...
    We know that 'siddhartha' set out in search to find inner peace , happiness - enlightenment!
    No, he didn't.
    But is the point not to follow the teachings because its the path to happiness? Liberation? Enlightenment?
    No, it isn't.
    how
  • I would add: He reached the end of suffering by overcoming the cycle of uncontrolled rebirth in samsara, something we are unable to do without becoming enlightened ourselves.

Part of the story of how he attained enlightenment is by overcoming the temptations of the demon Mara as he sat under the bodhi tree. He had determined that he would not move from the spot unless he reached enlightenment, even if it meant dying before he reached the goal.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    If he wasn't searching for inner peace, happiness - enlightenment... then what???
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Siddartha Gautama perceived for himself the reality of Old age, sickness and death.
    He wanted to find a way in which one might be able to meet those three realities, and transcend the sorrow, and suffering which seemed to go hand in hand with them - and find a way of releasing the grip all humans have on grasping and clinging....
    That was the original motive.
    He never even thought or considered Enlightenment, inner peace or happiness to be any form of goals.
    They are by-products of the release from suffering.

The point of following his teachings is that we might realise the Noble Truths for ourselves, and transcend suffering as he did.
    riverflowhow
  • Well sorry mr 'know-it-all' , but i guess we are both barking up the wrong tree because ive had buddhist MONKS tell me that he set of to find 'inner peace, happiness and enlightenment!

I wouldnt just make it up without a source!
    I have got my knowledge from a great source, and that source was a follower of the buddha , in thailand!

I attended a talk, and even got to speak to him private! He made it clear that siddartha the prince DID set out to find liberation and enlightenment and happiness etc... and he even stated that is what we all want (deep down) etc etc!!!

So, woof woof!!!
    federica said:

He never even thought or considered Enlightenment, inner peace or happiness to be any form of goals.

I take it you have doctrinal references to support this claim?
    Only the stories of his quest for the transcendence of suffering.
    I didn't read "He sought enlightenment, happiness or inner peace' in any of them.

@zenmyste, Just because a monk told you such things doesn't make it accurate.

Remember the Kalama Sutta.

Question everything (and me too, and rightly so!) but don't discard or accept anything without first testing it for yourself and researching it as far as you can.

Mahayana states that homosexuality is unacceptable. Theravada makes no such distinction.

So which would be correct to your way of thinking?
    Remember, it would be monks passing on these instructions.

And there's no need to be rude or snarky with it, ok?
    Coming back with sarcasm and rudeness is not acceptable, no matter who you're talking to.

Got that?
    riverflow
    federica said:

Only the stories of his quest for the transcendence of suffering.
    I didn't read "He sought enlightenment, happiness or inner peace' in any of them.

Therefore we know that "he never even thought or considered Enlightenment, inner peace or happiness to be any form of goals."

Seriously. :-/
    No, we don't know that.
    I've never read it.
    I have read that he witnessed old age, sickness and death and decided to leave his palace to seek ways of ending suffering.

Whatever else he may have been thinking, I don't know. I only know what I've read, and I didn't read that.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "But is the point not to follow the teachings because its the path to happiness? Liberation? Enlightenment?"
    Is that the point? Maybe it is for you.
    The teachings point to reality, they say here it is right in front of you, to me that's profound in and of itself and more than enough justification to lend them my ear. Being mired in concepts can't liberate (concept) or enlighten (concept) me (concept).
    riverflowperson
  • federica said:

I only know what I've read.

Exactly, and i only know what ive read or been told (by buddhist monks)

Well read what I wrote previously about information being given "By Buddhist Monks"
    Such information doesn't make it any more reliable.

You have to go with what you discover and research, examine and scrutinise FOR YOURSELF.

Test everything until you find what resonates solidly for you.

His suffering DIDN'T end.
    He still 'suffered'.

he just didn't let it impinge on his existence.
    he attained enlightenment through Sitting and via meditation.

Follow your nose and rub it raw until you find what you seek and it brings you satisfaction in your quest for knowledge.
    riverflowvinlynhow
  • federica said:

His suffering DIDN'T end.
    He still 'suffered'.

he just didn't let it impinge on his existence

Have you a source pls?
    Look how he died.
    Of apparent chronic intestinal inflammation due to eating something that disagreed with him.

That's suffering on a physical plane, but the Buddha transcended that and took it in his stride.....

Do some research - don't take my word for it - remember?
    riverflow
    edited June 2013
    From your link:
    The Buddha was well aware that much pleasure and happiness is to be found in the world as it is ordinarily experienced, but he insisted that these pleasures were transient and therefore relative and limited, and that true happiness is only to be found by renouncing what is worldly, transient, relative and limited, and seeking instead what is transcendental, unchanging, absolute and unlimited.
    So he didn't seek happiness, he sought TRUE happiness. I get it now. :p
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    According to the suttas the Buddha entered the 4th jhana via the first three, and used the concentration to recollect his previous lives. Then he investigated how these lives arise due to kamma, how dependent origination is creating rebirth. Finally he saw the four noble truths fully and he was able to destroy the process of rebirth by taking out delusion.

This story is in multiple suttas, sometimes parts of it. Sometimes suttas that explain certain parts it in more detail. I'm sorry I can't recollect which gives the fullest description, so for now I'll quote this one: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.036.than.html
    "So when I had taken solid food and regained strength, then — quite secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful mental qualities, I entered & remained in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain. With the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, I entered & remained in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of concentration, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain. With the fading of rapture I remained equanimous, mindful, & alert, and sensed pleasure with the body. I entered & remained in the third jhana, of which the noble ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.' But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain. With the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — I entered & remained in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither pleasure nor pain. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two...five, ten...fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion: 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details.

"This was the first knowledge I attained in the first watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the passing away & reappearance of beings. I saw — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech & mind, who did not revile the noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world.' Thus — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — I saw beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma.

"This was the second knowledge I attained in the second watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the ending of the mental fermentations. I discerned, as it was actually present, that 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress... These are fermentations... This is the origination of fermentations... This is the cessation of fermentations... This is the way leading to the cessation of fermentations.' My heart, thus knowing, thus seeing, was released from the fermentation of sensuality, released from the fermentation of becoming, released from the fermentation of ignorance. With release, there was the knowledge, 'Released.' I discerned that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

"This was the third knowledge I attained in the third watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.
    rivercanepersonkarmabluespegembara
    edited June 2013
    Nevermind said:

From your link:

The Buddha was well aware that much pleasure and happiness is to be found in the world as it is ordinarily experienced, but he insisted that these pleasures were transient and therefore relative and limited, and that true happiness is only to be found by renouncing what is worldly, transient, relative and limited, and seeking instead what is transcendental, unchanging, absolute and unlimited.
    Stop being argumentative, and pedantic.

He didn't set out to seek happiness, True or otherwise.
    But he explained that renouncing what is worldy, transient, relative and limited, brought a person to that state.

Clearer, now?

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    One could say enlightenment is not about happiness, because happiness is also impermanent. Or one could say that the absence of suffering is happiness and so enlightenment leads to happiness. Both are true but only from a personal perspective. It depends on our definition of happiness, which we can use very freely.

In the suttas the Buddha did seek for enlightenment or nirvana, a way beyond sickness and death. When he found it, at times he did call it the highest happiness, and at other times he simply called it the removal of suffering. Both represent a certain perspective. Also useful to recognize that his nirvana before his death and his nirvana after his death are not the same.
    federicariverflowzenmysteFlorian
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @zenmyste -- Can you remember the time before you learned to ride a bike? (I'm assuming you know how.) Maybe you saw Peter and Sally zooming up and down the street and dearly wanted to do that too. Then maybe you got a bike and practiced, either with training wheels or with mom or dad holding you steady. And after that the training wheels came off ... or mom/dad let go. You tried and failed, tried and failed, scraped knees and elbows and the rest of it. You practiced and practiced. What Peter or Sally said might have been encouraging, but it couldn't hold a candle to what you knew you wanted to accomplish. And then one day, you simply accomplished it.

Gautama left the palace after seeing disease, old age, death and a monk. Or anyway, that's how the story is told. We can guess all we like about what his motives were, but the fact is that we don't know. What we can get a handle on a little better is what he is alleged to have taught ... teachings that varied according to his audience, but seemed to boil down pretty much to "here's a way to be at peace; here's a way to be happy." Since most of us would like to ride that bike, we gather up our courage and patience and doubt and give it a whirl. Do we know for a fact that we will become bike-riders? Nope. But we can know that whether Gautama was telling the truth or lying ... either way, it doesn't add or subtract from your happiness or mine. Running around asking others "what it's actually like" to be happy may result in some encouragement ... but in the end, it doesn't amount to much.

Reading books or gathering the responses of those who have dedicated themselves either to bike-riding or Buddhism is par for the course. No one wants to be bamboozled by some hot-shot charlatan. Finding the best possible sources is good research and makes good sense. Its only drawback lies in the fact that no matter how wonderful the research and no matter how delicious the conclusions drawn from that research, it's not the same as being happy or at peace... or, if it is, you've really missed the boat.

Is Buddhist practice a risk? You bet your ass it is. Will you get hurt along the way? I think you can count on it, but you may be smarter than I ever was. Will you ever really be able to ride this bike or are you destined to fall off over and over again forever? I don't know and neither do you. No matter how many monks or adepts or texts you listen to and admire and credit ... still, it's your life...

And your happiness...

And your peace.

Practice tells the tale, whether in bike-riding or Buddhism or anything else for that matter. There simply is no substitute for experience. It has nothing to do with better or worse, holy or unholy, elevated or debased. Experience has to do with fact.
    zenmysteperson
    federica said:

Nevermind said:

From your link:

But he explained that renouncing what is worldy, transient, relative and limited, brought a person to that state.

Clearer, now?

Not being allowed to argue the point, YES, I completely agree!
    Just a comment about citing resources.

Is that a rule we now have?
    I doubt it.
    And if we were to eliminate the the posts with no sources, we wouldn't have much of a forum.

There's nothing wrong with occasionally asking references. But I am just as interested in hearing people's opinions.
    riverflow
    I for one agree, there's nothing wrong with occasionally asking for references, particularly when something smells fishy.
    vinlyn said:

Just a comment about citing resources.

Is that a rule we now have?
    I doubt it.
    And if we were to eliminate the the posts with no sources, we wouldn't have much of a forum.

There's nothing wrong with occasionally asking references. But I am just as interested in hearing people's opinions.

What I often look for is if a person knows the difference between fact and opinion.

Asking for a doctrinal reference may imply a divergent opinion.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Well, zenmyste started his thread asking for resources to read, and repeated his question multiple times. I can understand him getting a bit annoyed if his question is not really answered and instead he gets the usual "just practice" advice. Of course the only way to realize things is to practice, but it's not the advice he asks for right now. Sometimes we want inspiration to practice by support from others, and sometimes we want inspiration or information from texts. On a sidenote, an argument by appealing to authority like monks we've spoken to, I think is likewise not always that helpful.

I didn't say the above to offend anybody or be a hypocrite, because likely I've said similar things on this forum, but perhaps it gets the discussion on topic because I find it quite a good question. Many people have heard about the Buddha getting enlightened, but don't know (one version of) how it supposedly went. But reading about it can get us some better idea of what enlightenment actually is, so it is important.

Ok, enough meta discussion for me. So back to the text, to also get myself back on topic again. ;) I think a more basic (meaning free of commentary) and reliable source than the one I quoted is hard to find. The pali suttas are historically a reliable representation of the early teachings. There will be some later alterations in them, but most of the words will have likely been taught by the Buddha and his early community. And I'm no expert, but since the quoted story is in multiple suttas, it makes it assumable this is one indeed very representative of what the Buddha taught.

By the way in Theravadan view, which reflects these pali suttas, one does not need to be fully enlightened to understand what enlightenment is.
    Florian
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Nevermind said:

federica said:

I take it you have doctrinal references to support this claim?
    Here is an interesting text:
    "I, too, monks, before my Awakening, when I was an unawakened bodhisatta, being subject myself to birth, sought what was likewise subject to birth.
    [...]
    The thought occurred to me, [..] What if I, being subject myself to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, were to seek the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding? [nirvana] What if I, being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, were to seek the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less,, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding?'
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html
    You could theoretically still argue either way. Yes, you could say that he sought for the absence of suffering and nothing else and I wouldn't say you are wrong. But since nirvana is pretty much analogue to enlightenment and since there were many religious seekers seeking enlightenment at that time, I'd say Gautama probably did consider that absence of suffering must mean an awakening/enlightenment of some sort. If anything, by influence of the Brahmins (early form of Hinduism).

There is also a text in the pali canon I think that says the Buddha went to sit beneath the Bodhi tree and made the decision not to rise before he had reached enlightenment. But I have bad memory in these kind of things so I can't find it now.
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Nevermind said:

If he wasn't searching for inner peace, happiness - enlightenment... then what???

In short, it could be said that ultimately he was seeking for a way to help other beings become enlightened so that they may escape the suffering of samsara.

In the Theravada tradition, we are often reminded to recollect the Buddha's Great Compassion (Mahakaruna). For this, we look back into the Buddha's past lives to see what first prompted him to resolve to take the extremely long and arduous path towards enlightenment in order to become a Teaching Buddha.

According to the Pali texts, the Buddha Gautama, more than four incalculable aeons ago, was an ascetic by the name of Sumedha. When Sumedha met the past Buddha Dipankara, the former made for the first time ever an aspiration to achieve Buddhahood. The Buddha Dipankara then made the prediction that Sumedha would in fact achieve his aspiration and become a fully awakened being. After such prediction, Sumedha then became a Bodhisattva and had to live through incalculable lifetimes in which he developed the ten perfections required for Buddhahood (as partly recorded in the Jataka stories of the Pali Canon). During that time, he renewed his Bodhisattva's vow at the feet of a further 23 past Buddhas. In his final lifetime as Prince Siddhartha he achieved enlightenment as predicted by Buddha Dipankara and founded the current Buddhist religion.

The story of the Buddha Gautama shows that in his past lifetime as Sumedha when he made his first aspiration to become a Teaching Buddha, he could have become an arahant, but instead of taking this easier option, he decided to take upon himself the much longer and more strenuous path towards enlightenment as a Teaching Buddha in order to help other beings attain enlightenment/nirvana. In the Buddhavamsa (the Chronicle of the Buddhas which is part of the Sutta Pitaka) it was recorded that while lying on the ground at Buddha Dipankara's feet, the following thought occurred to Sumedha:
    If I so wished, I could today burn off my defilements (and become an arahant),
    But what would be the point in my here realising the Dhamma myself, unknown?
    Having become enlightened (all-knowing), I will become a Buddha [in the world] with its devas.
    What is the use of crossing over alone, being a man aware of my strength?
    Having become enlightened (as a Buddha), I will cause the world together with the devas to cross over.
    So we can conclude that the Buddha's first and foremost reason for taking the path towards enlightenment is in order to become a Teaching Buddha. This was a wholly selfless decision where he turned away the immediate benefits of escaping samasara through arahantship to pursue the more ardous path of becoming a Teaching Buddha. Thus it is often said that the Buddha sought enlightenment out of his Great Compassion (Mahakaruna) to end the suffering of other beings.
    lobsterperson
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2013
    He found a way to escape aging, sickness and death itself not through immortality but through the complete realisation of the deathless.
    "I, too, monks, before my Awakening, when I was an unawakened bodhisatta, being subject myself to birth, sought what was likewise subject to birth.
    [...]
    The thought occurred to me, [..] What if I, being subject myself to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, were to seek the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding? [nirvana] What if I, being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, were to seek the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less,, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding?'
    The way people think is that having been born, they don't want to die. Is that correct? It's like pouring water into a glass but not wanting it to fill up. If you keep pouring the water, you can't expect it not to be full. But people think like this: they are born but don't want to die. Is that correct thinking? Consider it. If people are born but never die, will that bring happiness? If no one who comes into the world dies, things will be a lot worse. If no one ever dies, we will probably all end up eating excrement! Where would we all stay? It's like pouring water into the glass without ceasing yet still not wanting it to be full. We really ought to think things through. We are born but don't want to die. If we really don't want to die, we should realize the deathless (amatadhamma), as the Buddha taught. Do you know what amatadhamma means?

Amatadhamma is the deathless. Born of the womb, can we avoid death? Apart from realizing that there is no real self, there is no way to avoid death. ''I'' don't die; sankhāras undergo transformation, following their nature.

Ajahn Chah
    http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Even_One_Word_Is.php
    riverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

What is the use of crossing over alone, being a man aware of my strength?

What indeed.

This is why the Buddha is one of the three jewels. He was a proclaimed enlightened teacher. This is rare and mostly the domain of the deluded, the fake, the incomplete and premature and the self aggrandising - ah yes that would be my sort of Buddhism, when I become a Buddha.

Fortunately the Buddhas legacy, instigated a heritage of teachers and diversity of experienced, verified sangha and dharma.
    Such a level of commitment is unique. In other religions we have . . . well you know what we have . . .
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel390.html

I take refuge in the Buddha.
    I take refuge in the Dharma.
    I take refuge in the Sangha.
    :clap:
    karmablues
    Nevermind said:

federica said:

Nevermind said:

From your link:

Clearer, now?

Not being allowed to argue the point, YES, I completely agree!

@Nevermind, finally, you're getting it.

Good strategy.

;)

Yikes
    federica
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I sysmpathise with @zenmyste here, since his seems like a good question and it has not really been answered.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the answer is not in the sutras. Well, it is in the sutras, but at a level that works best for monks and others who can immediately identify what is being said from their practice.

If we cannot do this, then it is very difficult to imagine what it means to say that the Buddha realised the unreality of suffering, or how he could have achieved this realisation. And unless there is an answer that can be roughly understood by a non-practitioner, then the Buddha's achievement may seem to be something we have to take entirely on faith.

If I was recommending something to read that might shed light on this, I would probably suggest going outside the Buddhist literature and adventuring into metaphysics and psychology. But I'm not sure I understand what the exact question is here. Is it 'what is enlightenment?', or is it 'how did the Buddha realise it?'.

Here is Alan Wallace saying something relevant.

"Conceptually unstructured awareness – which is nondual from the phenomena that arise to it – is regarded as the ultimate reality, and the realisation of such nondual consciousness is the final goal of contemplative practice, In this experience, the very distinction between public, external space, in which physical phenomena appear to occur, and private, internal space, in which mental phenomena appear to occur, dissolves into a "mysterious space"," which is the very nonduality between the conceptually constructed external and internal spaces. The ultimate nature of objective phenomena, therefore, is found to be none other then the ultimate nature of subjective phenomena; and that is the nonduality of appearances and awareness. When one achieves perfect realisation of this state, in which there is no longer any difference between one’s awareness during and after formal meditation sessions, it is claimed that one’s consciousness becomes boundless in terms of the scope of its knowledge, compassion, and power. Hence, the contemplative pursuit of such realisation is said to be the most sublime of sciences."

Alan Wallace
    The Taboo of Subjectivity (117)

personFullCircle
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Florian said:

But I'm not sure I understand what the exact question is here. Is it 'what is enlightenment?', or is it 'how did the Buddha realise it?'.

How did he 'realise it?' AND 'what exactly did he realize that made him enlightened??????

From when he 'sat down' under the tree (and vowed not to move until he attained enlightenment) to becoming enlightened... What happened???

HOW, WHY and WHAT made him become enlightened??

• CittaCitta Veteran
    To echo Genkaku's post how could a non Enlightened person answer you ?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    zenmyste said:

Florian said:

But I'm not sure I understand what the exact question is here. Is it 'what is enlightenment?', or is it 'how did the Buddha realise it?'.

How did he 'realise it?' AND 'what exactly did he realize that made him enlightened??????

From when he 'sat down' under the tree (and vowed not to move until he attained enlightenment) to becoming enlightened... What happened???

HOW, WHY and WHAT made him become enlightened??

You are not going to get any closer to a reliable account of his awakening than the sutta I quoted. I think it should answer your questions at least on an intellectual level. And if you know a bit of history of how these texts came to be, it really becomes very, very likely (big parts of) these texts were indeed what the Buddha taught.

What the Buddha realized is of course portrayed in all of his teachings, not just the accounts of his awakening. Things like the four noble truths, the eight fold path, dependent origination explain his realization in other ways. But as for the process of his awakening, in the earliest texts that is always described similar to the text I quoted.

I'm not trying to argue the suttas are some kind of holy text in which everything is true and to be believed, help no. But I find it kind of saddening how little Buddhist actually read them or know about them. While modern books sell by the millions probably..

People that say you have to be enlightened to know how the Buddha became enlightened, I think speak in the dark more so than these texts. Two possibilities: they are not enlightened so how could they know? And even if they are enlightened, it is not likely everybody becomes enlightened in exactly the same way. In the suttas we see people getting enlightened in different ways. So what one experiences is not what the Buddha experienced per se. Core elements will be the same, but not everything. For example not everybody was able to recollect their previous lives like the Buddha seemingly did, while for the Buddha this was a major part of his process of awakening. And others may recall previous lives but not become enlightened at all.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Are you telling me this has never came up before, or am i just not asking it clearly???

If there are stories before 'and' after buddhas enlightenment then surely there must be stories 'about' his enlightenment (inbetween sitting down and actually becoming enlightened)

What did he see exactly?
    What made him enlightened??

There must have been something that made him say "ahhhh, i get it now"

Surely we cant just take his word for it that a man 2500 years ago became enlightened and that the '8 fold path' is the way to enlightenment ourselves!!

Even on the day of his enlightenment, his disciples must have asked "what did you see siddhartha?? What has made you see sense?? Whats caused you to attain enlightenment????? The answers must be 'somewhere' surely?

History about the buddha surely cannot just skip from 'vowing to sit under a tree in meditation' to BAM...hes suddenly enlightened!

?

And the 8 fold path may not be the path to enlightenment because wasnt buddha just 'sitting in meditation' when he attained enlightenment?? He wasnt following the 8 fold path was he? :/ ??
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Is for some reason my post not getting displayed accurately for other people? In case so, here it is again. It describes exactly this process between sitting down and his enlightenment. I will not include the quote now.

According to the suttas the Buddha entered the 4th jhana via the first three, and used the concentration to recollect his previous lives. Then he investigated how these lives arise due to kamma, how dependent origination is creating rebirth. Finally he saw the four noble truths fully and he was able to destroy the process of rebirth by taking out delusion.

This story is in multiple suttas, sometimes parts of it. Sometimes suttas that explain certain parts it in more detail. I'm sorry I can't recollect which gives the fullest description, so for now I'll quote this one: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.036.than.html

Another interesting sutta talking about what happened before and after:
  • Sabre said:

Is for some reason my post not getting displayed accurately for other people? In case so, here it is again. It describes exactly this process between sitting down and his enlightenment. I will not include the quote now.

Thank you! Ill give this a read now!

Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    zenmyste said:

Sabre said:

Thank you! Ill give this a read now!

As far as I know, the part common to multiple suttas is the part I quoted before. These parts are more likely to be core teachings, because obviously it would be less likely for multiple suttas to contain an inaccuracy than just one.
  • Thanks again for the link! I read it over and over (about 10 times) and i have to admit, there are things i have never read (related to buddhism) before! And personally, theres alot of stuff i read which i dont 'believe' in or dont believe happened or agree with... !

I think im slowly becoming 'detached' from 'buddhism' (or at least from some of the more 'far fetched' teachings of buddhism)

I like meditation. I like the 5 precepts!
    I like the calm, chilled out kind-of-way that buddhist monks live their lives!

(I dont necessarily believe the '8 fold path is the way to enlightenment)

I dont believe in rebirth or reincaration!

I dont believe in bodhisattva's and how some people can choose to stay and help others instead of entering nivarna! Etc etc!!!

Theres alot more i dont necessarily like/agree

I do however like ZEN and i like how Bodhidharma asserted that Zen is a "special transmission outside scriptures” which does NOT rely upon words" etc...

Anyway, i think im gonna take a break from this site (as i do every now and again)

im sure ill be back in the future with more questions that i need answering! lol!

Cheers everyone! Take care!

Zenmyste!!!! X

_/|\_
    Sabrelobsterkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I think im slowly becoming 'detached' from 'buddhism' (or at least from some of the more 'far fetched' teachings of buddhism)
    There is hope for all of us :clap:
    There is a tantric teaching or it might be for kids, about how an enlightened ferryman I think it is, rows past the Buddha, nearing enlightenment, under the Bodhi tree. The ferryman makes some comment, that pushes the Buddha into an awakened 'state'.
    What did the ferryman say? Can not remember the story exactly but then do we hear when our ears are open?

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row,_Row,_Row_Your_Boat
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @zenmyste
    I left this thread alone for some reason but finally read it because of the millage it was getting.

I few thoughts.
    I think much of the difficulty in asking what the Buddha got or attained with enlightenment is that it presupposes that there was something to get or attain. While this is a normal egocentric approach for the typical illusory identity builder, it has little to do with the "Zen" that you say you like.

Zen would say that the Buddha just successfully released his hold on getting or attaining anything.

Since most folks still embroiled with their identity construction are unlikely to find that notion appealing, Buddhists cart out the supplementary sweets that arise from enlightened action to entice folks to try out the path for themselves. Some call this using greed positively.
    (I dont necessarily believe the '8 fold path is the way to enlightenment)
    Many Zenists say the 8 fold path in not just the way to enlightenment, but is actually enlightenment itself. Zen spends little time worrying about belief or disbelief and instead says to just become a manifestation of the 8 fold path.

Your Quote.. I do however like ZEN and i like how Bodhidharma asserted that Zen is a "special transmission outside scriptures” which does NOT rely upon words" etc

This transmission outside the scriptures is often misappropriated. All it means is that the scriptures are a reflection of enlightened understanding, not the same as.
    It does not denagrate the importance of the scriptures or suggest they are not fundamental to a practise but instead says the scriptures point the way to but are not the same as enlightened understanding.
    Like the difference between a finger pointing at the moon and the moon itself.

And finally, Federica's responses to your posts on this thread, although from a different Buddhist school, could have come from any Soto Zen teacher.
    riverflowlobsterFlorian