Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Seven Factors of Awakening

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited June 2013 in Philosophy
or The Seven Factors of Enlightenment
or The Seven Super Radical Things a Mind Inclined to Liberation Cultivates
or Be a Reality Conqueror with 7 wonderful and joyful ingredients

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/piyadassi/wheel001.html

The document linked-to above is so well-formated and well-elaborated that I simply had to share it.

Buddhism is open to all beings, all people, no matter their creed, race, gender, identity, status, and for this I am very grateful. Sometimes I forget this and think I am so lucky to have stumbled onto Buddhism, time to make it Mine! But this is wrongful thinking. We should think to assimilate our learning and our practice into our everyday life. This way we can truly reap the fruits of superknowledge and understanding, by not only witnessing the mind transform [dualism tho], but also by becoming the very transformation, generosity, omniscience, and the very nature of being an awesome person.
The term bojjhanga is composed of bodhi + anga. Bodh denotes enlightenment — to be exact, insight concerned with the realization of the four Noble Truths, namely: the Noble Truth of suffering; the Noble Truth of the origin of suffering; the Noble Truth of the cessation of suffering and the Noble Truth of the path leading to the cessation of suffering. Anga means factors or limbs. Bodhi + anga (bojjhanga), therefore, means the factors of enlightenment, or the factors for insight, wisdom.

"Bojjhanga! Bojjhanga! Is the saying, Lord. Pray, Lord, how far is this name applicable?" queried a monk of the Buddha. "Bodhaya samvattantiti kho bhikkhu tasma bojjhanga ti vuccanti" — "They conduce to enlightenment, monk, that is why they are so called," was the succinct reply of the Master.[1]

Further says the Buddha, "Just as, monks, in a peaked house all rafters whatsoever go together to the peak, slope to the peak, join in the peak, and of them all the peak is reckoned chief: even so, monks, the monk who cultivates and makes much of the seven factors of wisdom, slopes to Nibbana, inclines to Nibbana, tends to Nibbana."[2]

The seven factors are:

Mindfulness (sati)
Keen investigation of the dhamma (dhammavicaya)[3]
Energy (viriya)
Rapture or happiness (piti)
Calm (passaddhi)
Concentration (samadhi)
Equanimity (upekkha)
One of the discourses on the Bojjhangas may be mentioned here. It begins:

Please excuse my admiration of conventional marks and squiggles, I only mean to say I love you. =)
lobstershadowleaverLucy_Begood