Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is confrontation ever acceptable?

I'm at a loss for this. I am just wondering, if it is ever acceptable to stand your ground when challenged on something? say, someone insults your very core beliefs or your family, or maybe threaten to harm you or those you care about. In Buddhism is it ever acceptable to just say "No." and be willing to back it up? Pacifism is great and all, and I do my best to try and follow that path. But sometimes it feels like you get backed into a corner, with your only two choices being to bend over and take it, or to stand firm and fight for what you believe. And I am of the type to never, ever back down and accept an injustice. This has led to tons of friction between me and people who I thought were friends but, I have my principals. if I betrayed myself in this regard, what would I be?

Long story short, does being Buddhist mean you have to back down a lot? to betray that which you stand for, in the interest of keeping peace? Or even worse, to not stand for anything at all?

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Have you learned what fighting/jihad/conflict is?

No principals. No problem. Ego, things to defend . . . inevitable conflict, obstacles etc. At the present time you have your encrustations, sense of self and preferred protection field. Be as kind, gentle and understanding as you can. In time you will be less defensive . . . and paradoxically but inevitably your understanding and protective 'duties'/karma will change . . .

This from a Master samurai might be helpful:
    “The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/14462.Miyamoto_Musashi
    personKundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I would rather die than have my honor taken from me. I almost have
    I am sorry my friend, to hear that in another thread. There is no honour in such behaviour. Honour dear friend, is looking your 'enemy' in the eye and doing all you can to protect their well being, even if that means losing face.

Is your 'honour' based on fear? My honour is based on Love. Nothing stands in my way - but me.

I am a disgrace.
    Invincible_summerkarmablues
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Based in fear? you know you may very well be correct. Fear that I have let others down, fear that I did not do all that I could have, fear that I have been found lacking, in whatever test I am facing.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    lobster said:

No principals. ...

What????? No principals?????

:rant:
    Invincible_summerZerokarasti
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    vinlyn said:

yep.
    I will even lie about not having principals . . . just so you can let off steam . . . consider it a principal Buddhist service . . .

:screwy:
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Zayl said:

Based in fear? you know you may very well be correct.

Fear is fear?
    You know it, therefore you perhaps, just maybe, fear being thought fearful?

I on the other hand am a coward. The victory is yours.

lobster said:

vinlyn said:

yep.
    I will even lie about not having principals . . . just so you can let off steam . . . consider it a principal Buddhist service . . .

:screwy:
    Sorry you missed the spelling error about my profession and turning it into a joke.

lobster
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    robot said:

As someone who never backs down on his principles, perhaps you should be asking yourself if there are ever times when you can put your stance aside in the name of harmony with folks.
    There will always be times when confrontation is necessary, even for Buddhists.
    One would hope to develop the wisdom for picking appropriate battles, and when to back off and give the win to someone else.

Yes I also think that wisdom is the keyword.
    We don’t need to be doormats but we do have patience or tolerance for a paramita to develop.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pāramitā

The decision to switch from khanti to viriya and sacca (and to express some energetic honesty) depends on panna on wisdom. The wisdom it what sees through the principals and the teachings and appeals directly to the source of them.

There are no absolutes no fixed guidelines; we need to find the heart of the matter, and attain the wisdom behind the rules and the intellectual teachings.

lobsterperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2013
    vinlyn said:

Sorry you missed the spelling error about my profession and turning it into a joke.

Many thanks, 'Head Mistress/Master' is the Principle[sic] in UK.
    My atrocious spelling is not improved by spell checkers. My mistake . . . yet again . . . no perfection this side of Buddahood . . . So many skills to develop . . .
    :o
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    The ego uses opinions to define itself, but what are they really? Transient thoughts. I'm old enough to have learned that my opinions are not who I am and are actually a lot less important than they seem. Often times when we stand our ground it really means winning the battle of Who Has The Biggest Ego.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't defend yourself if you are attacked, but having a difference of opinion usually isn't the same as an attack, except to the ego.
    lobsterJeffreypersonkarmablues
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Thanks for all of the responses! that is why I love posting here. it makes me pause and consider my own thoughts, and to re-evaluate a lot of things. Ego is surely a very harsh beast to deal with. One that all of us struggle with I'm sure, no matter our own statements to the contrary. As of right now, I am not trying to overcome or surpass my own ego. I feel that is far out of my reach right now. What I am trying to do, though this thread, is to help shed light on and understand my own ego. This forum provides a wonderful variety of thought. Something that I am incapable of dealing with by my lonesome.

When it comes to such things, if one is to be forced onto either path A or path B. Is there any call to look within yourself, and to choose what is right? even if it may be incorrect, does Buddhism ever call for someone to just go with their own instincts? At times it is impossible to know the ins and outs of every situation, even if you are being called to make a decision before you have examined everything.
    person
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Buddhism is big on turning the other cheek. But at the same time, there's the "skillful means" thing. It means we'd all have to be wise enough to be able to discern when it's appropriate to speak out or confront (and how to do so effectively), and when it's best to turn the other cheek.

That sounds like pretty advanced wisdom and discernment, to me. Are we there yet? idk.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @Dakini Yes! you grasped exactly what I meant through this thread. Turning the other cheek is a wonderful thing of course. But in reality, sadly, sometimes we are put into a situation where we cannot do that. Simply because it means betraying what we stand for. People tell me every day, that I should simply give in to the system, to try and lead a normal american life.

But what if I just said no? where is the harm in that? if I managed to engage in a confrontation with skillful speech, does that still mean I am degrading the other persons view?

Gods above I want to live free, to celebrate love and light as it is. But every day people bring me down, to try and live a life full of things I do NOT want. And I feel guilty by simply saying "No."
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Zayl said:

When it comes to such things, if one is to be forced onto either path A or path B. Is there any call to look within yourself, and to choose what is right? even if it may be incorrect, does Buddhism ever call for someone to just go with their own instincts? At times it is impossible to know the ins and outs of every situation, even if you are being called to make a decision before you have examined everything.

There is animal instinct, intuition, good advice from sangha and knowing or Gnosis. Speaking for myself on behalf of my inner Buddha, wisdom is often crazy, confrontational, discursive and apparently foolish. It is in reality based on a great capacity for sometimes deeply veiled kindness. However only someone as near to buddhahood as me, would dare to consider themselves wise enough to behave in such a way. Even then that would be the height of folly. You on the other hand have recognized our tendency towards egoism. That takes a degree of honourable humility. As far as I know humility is a great honour . . . humility is hip . . . so as a special treat I will tell you the benefits of the inner prostration . . . in body language there are two curves. Hips forward for the brave, winning, masterful and hips back for humility. Remember your hips, they are more humble than you . . . :)
    wrathfuldeity
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Zayl said:

I am just wondering, if it is ever acceptable to stand your ground when challenged on something?
    say, someone insults your very core beliefs or your family, or maybe threaten to harm you or those you care about.
    In Buddhism is it ever acceptable to just say "No." and be willing to back it up?

Pacifism is great and all, and I do my best to try and follow that path. But sometimes it feels like you get backed into a corner, with your only two choices being to bend over and take it, or to stand firm and fight for what you believe.

And I am of the type to never, ever back down and accept an injustice. This has led to tons of friction between me and people who I thought were friends but, I have my principals. if I betrayed myself in this regard, what would I be?

Long story short, does being Buddhist mean you have to back down a lot? to betray that which you stand for, in the interest of keeping peace? Or even worse, to not stand for anything at all?

It is natural to stand your ground to some extent under challenge, otherwise one would bend to every whim.
    Insulting core beliefs and threatening to physically harm seem like different issues.
    Where is the issue when you're insulted - should this lead to violence?
    Where is the issue when you're threatened - should this lead to violence?
    Exploring the myriad of paths to violence and seeking one that is justified is surely a slippery slope.

Bend over and take it sounds more like you're winding yourself up - it is an analogy for uninvited anal sex - personally, I find it challenging noting an actual instance when the only 2 choices were to fight or be subjected to rape.

What do you intend on doing about the 'type' of person that you are? Is it possible for you to explore or to change your responses to life? How do the burdens and benefits compare?
    I've found, as I have grown up, that I have often in a sense betrayed a facet of who I once may have thought I was.

You may live your life as you choose and each choice carries consequences.
    Zayl said:

People tell me every day, that I should simply give in to the system, to try and lead a normal american life.

But what if I just said no? where is the harm in that? if I managed to engage in a confrontation with skillful speech, does that still mean I am degrading the other persons view?

Gods above I want to live free, to celebrate love and light as it is. But every day people bring me down, to try and live a life full of things I do NOT want. And I feel guilty by simply saying "No."

There doesn't appear to be one single system - as you live, you are naturally part of systems, interacting constantly - to single out certain traits and concepts and label them a homogenous system is in a way creating a 'demon' to fight.

Why do you need to say 'no' in living the life that you choose? Do others need to see your view for you to engage in life?

'Free' is an interesting concept - interdependence puts a certain spin on freedom - if you seek 'up' then inevitably you will have to face 'down' - take away all the people in the world and your view will still be your view.
    lobsterJeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Zayl said:

I have my principals. if I betrayed myself in this regard, what would I be?

A person who does not care what other people think? :p
    lobsterperson
    Interesting post, @Zero...and well written.

I'm not sure why, but when reading it the Zimmerman trial -- which is about to begin -- popped into my head. Where George Zimmerman is legally guilty of killing Trayvon Martin, I don't know. But I feel he does have a moral responsibility for the death because nobody had to die that night. Had he made a different choice, both men would be alive today. And I guess that it's that he had a choice of how to react, which your post reminded me of.

So someone threatens your core beliefs. You can react in several different ways. Do nothing and think that the other person is just spewing hot air. Stand up and express your confidence in your beliefs. Or fight for your beliefs. Etc. Choosing how to react usually provides us with a spectrum of choices. The only choices are rarely submit or win.

Zeroperson
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I try to ask, when it comes up (which lately is often, lol) what does X get out of me defending it? Do my beliefs care if someone else doesn't agree with them? Is my family a person itself that can get it's feelings hurt? Not really. There have been times I have needed to defend a person, but I always try to keep it short and say things like "Do you know 100% that that is the truth?" and leave it at that, if someone is telling lies. In the end, no matter what I say, people are going to hold their beliefs. A lot of the things that we believe need defending really don't, as has been said it is our ego that thinks so.

I do think there are times it is necessary to stand up and say something. But I do think you can still use caution and compassion and right speech when doing so. I mostly (but not always!) try to remove myself and if I feel a need to stand up for whatever reason I try to do it with a calm mind and heart. I tell myself "Ok, right now you are reacting out of emotion and offfense. Stop, go do something else for 15 minutes, and if it is still important, then think carefully before you choose your words." You know what? 95% of the time in that 15 minutes, I forget what it was that upset me. Sometimes it's not a situation I can leave (such as a family dinner) and I bite my tongue. I never regret doing so. I have regretted many times opening my mouth. The emotion passes and the need to speak up passes along with it, most of the time. If I feel the need to say something, the words come much clearer when I allow the emotion to pass.
    Jeffreyperson
    karasti said:

...In the end, no matter what I say, people are going to hold their beliefs. A lot of the things that we believe need defending really don't, as has been said it is our ego that thinks so.

I do think there are times it is necessary to stand up and say something. But I do think you can still use caution and compassion and right speech when doing so. ...

Well said!

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Confrontation should generally be avoided as peaceful resolution of a problem is always the best way. Make it your duty to fully understand the problem, your position and why you hold it, and your rival's the position and why they hold it. Always practice compassion and make sure your intentions are pure.
    lobsterwrathfuldeity
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If possible avoid a situation which it is impossible not to lash out. Sure it's better if you relax and not worry about what the person says and calmly tell them not to treat you wrong.

But if it's a situation you can't handle without losing your temper then I would get away from the situation. So it's an interesting decision to face up the person or to get away from them. You can do either and still practice dharma.
    lobster
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Zayl said:

Perhaps you could try to focus on being true to your principles as a form of personal practice which isn't related to what others think about those principles. So the issue of "betraying that which you stand for" would occur only when you yourself act in a way that is inconsistent with your principle rather than if you choose to do or say nothing when someone insults the principle you hold. In this way, giving priority to the aim of "keeping the peace" by "backing down" would not amount to "not standing for anything at all". Whether you stand for anything at all should be more about the extent to which you yourself hold firmly to your principles and how strictly you act in accordance with them even in difficult situations.

Along such line of thought, then the only time that standing for your principles and not betraying them may involve some confrontation is when other people are trying to convince you to act in a way that was inconsistent with your principles. In such situation, there is a need to firmly say no and make your position clear and get them to back off. But you should do so in the most non-confrontational way possible. It mainly just requires that you stand your ground and remain committed to act only in accordance with your principles.
    person
  • If you ever meet Mara - confrontation is an obligation.
    karmablues
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Interesting post, @Zero...and well written.

I'm not sure why, but when reading it the Zimmerman trial -- which is about to begin -- popped into my head. Where George Zimmerman is legally guilty of killing Trayvon Martin, I don't know. But I feel he does have a moral responsibility for the death because nobody had to die that night. Had he made a different choice, both men would be alive today. And I guess that it's that he had a choice of how to react, which your post reminded me of.

So someone threatens your core beliefs. You can react in several different ways. Do nothing and think that the other person is just spewing hot air. Stand up and express your confidence in your beliefs. Or fight for your beliefs. Etc. Choosing how to react usually provides us with a spectrum of choices. The only choices are rarely submit or win.

Zimmerman appeared to act out of racism, not out of sound, considered judgment. I don't think that type of thing is what the OP is talking about. Still, it just goes to show that it's crucial to check our motives at every turn.

Lucy_Begood
  • Buddhist practice doesn't require you to give up anything against your will. Study your confrontations, and assess whether they have led to good outcomes and good mind states for you. Probably they haven't.
    @Dakini, no question, in my view, about the mindset Zimmerman had. He could have made decisions that would have been wiser and not lead to anyone's death. It could have just as easily been him you was dead in the altercation, and I'm not so sure any insurance agent would be wise to sell him a life insurance policy for the future. This seems to me to be a very good example of karma at work.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Ask yourself how does someone challenging your beliefs harms your beliefs? Its only to the degree that you identify with them as who you are that a challenge to them will appear threatening.

A challenge to your beliefs and values doesn't require you to act or believe in a way contrary to them only, hopefully, get you to investigate and examine if your beliefs are indeed correct. Would you want to live according to beliefs that are incorrect anyway? Just as likely is that you would find that your beliefs are well founded and examining them in a new light would only serve to increase the stability of your foundation.

In the long run Buddhism hopes to get us to change our actual instincts deep down so that our natural actions are in accord with the Dharma. When that becomes the case there isn't much need to ask yourself what Buddhism says the correct action is. In the meantime though I think its healthy to do your best to act in accord with the teachings.

JeffreyLucy_Begoodkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    :)
    Some martial arts practice the principle of side stepping, quite often whilst moving forward. It is amazing how many 'confrontations' are based on the 'need' to step into. Others use the very energy of the confrontation to nullify the attack. On the higher level of training, confrontation is countered at the arising source. The confrontation does not have an object of attack. :wave:
    personkarmablues
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In kung fu when the older students came in I said that the best stance was no stance. I tested with them with the result of being taken off balance and on the ground. Theory is the same as practice, but only in theory aha. In hockey practice in highschool having never learned to skate I counted between 50 and 60 times falling down. Sometimes on my own unsteady feet and sometimes being body checked.

Now I can only run 1/2 mile, bah!

Not responding in contradiction to anyone, just reliving old days.
  • I'm not trying to hijack this conversation, I am a Florida criminal attorney and Mr. Zimmerman is exactly where he needs to be -- with a jury determining whether or not his actions were justified. The main reason I detest the so-called "stand your ground" law is because of the immunity provision, which a judge decides pre-trial. I could go on and on, but this is not the forum. (sorry)

Okay, so. On topic. No, being a Buddhist does not mean backing down from your beliefs or aspirations. But we do have to remember to show compassion to everyone. If there are those who reacting to situations in a way they may erroneously believe will bring them short term pleasure (e.g., inflicting pain on someone else), maybe we should try to understand that they are reacting in this way because they don't recognize the four noble truths and the liberation from suffering (i.e., short term pleasure) that is possible by following the N8FP.

I suppose perhaps we should stop and think.
    riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    An old story of what helps a wandering Buddhist mendicant face a wild forest beast, comes to mind and might actually be a teaching of how to address a confrontation.

Empathy..........Putting yourself in anothers position.
    Sympathy........Feeling why another feels as they do.
    Tenderness.....Cultivating a non threatening connection to another.
    Compassion....Looking for how anothers suffering can be quelled.
    Benevolence...Offering whatever you can to quell anothers suffering.
    Love...............Acting to allow the cessation of anothers suffering.
    Wisdom...........Manifesting that cessation.
    JeffreykarmabluespersonWolfwood
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    No matter or know metta?
    http://www.dharmalife.com/issue24/jungle.html

Friend or foe?
    http://www.khandro.net/mysterious_naga.htm

Want some honour? Confront yourself.
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/vajrapani

Om Vajrapani Hum
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    The problem I have is that in science and philosophy confrontation is vital. Not angry ranting, of course not, but seiving the false from the true requires putting them head to head and making a clear decision. Scientists find theories that do not confront current theories and thus their own views, uninteresting, so one has to be confrontational to get attention, and philosophy is hopeless without confrontation.

This can cause trouble where one person is being disinterestedly philosophical while the other may be taking a more personal stance and wish to avoid confrontation with competing views. Same as always, I suppose, confrontation can be good or bad, wise or unwise, etc, depending on context.

When I started out I spent some years testing Buddhist doctrine by confronting people on science and philosophy forums, generally anti-religion forums, and seeing if I could take the heat. Unskillful, perhaps, but a great way of sorting out one's ideas. Confrontation needn't be bad tempered or aggressive but I gave up that method because not everybody takes a philosophical approach and all too often it quickly becomes so.

• woods93woods93 Explorer
    I feel that if you have to defend yourself then you have to. that doesn't mean fighting when provoked it means if you or some one with you (girlfriend, wife, child, family, etc.) are harmed or about to be harmed you can defend yourself or them.
    Jeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    "But Master, how do I not contend with a man that would contend with me?" -- Caine

"In a heart that is one with nature, though the body contends, there is no violence, and in the heart that is not one with nature, though the body be at rest, there is always violence. Be, therefore, like the prow of a boat. It cleaves water, yet it leaves in its wake water unbroken." -- Master Po

http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm29267.html
    All my 'greatest wisdom' comes from a 70's TV Series . . . the shame of it . . . :o
    Lucy_Begoodperson
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    You learn well, Grasshopper.
    lobster
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Some wise words from the Buddha:
    “If anyone were to speak ill of me, my teachings or my disciples, do not bear any ill will towards him, be upset or perturbed at heart; for if you were to do so, it would only cause you harm. If, on the other hand, anyone were to speak well of me, my teachings and my disciples, do not be overjoyed, thrilled or elated at heart; for if you were to do so, it would only be an obstacle in the way of forming a realistic judgment as to whether the qualities praised are real and actually found in me, my teachings or my disciples.”
    - Dīgha, Nikāya, I. 3
    lobster
  • octinomosoctinomos Explorer
    One can never advance if one thinks they are superior to the others. There is no truth on our present level. Truth is on the next level or one where contradictions become one so just by not being the one who's always right, I open the door to the next level, which I'm not aware of yet, so I have no information to be able to judge one way or the other.
    lobsteronegoalengineer_sci
  • late to the game, however my 2 cents

If you are being challenged or confronted…is that not you that is challenging yourself via the opponent. In my mind when something is confronting and your response is to defend or attack in return; it is a signal/clue to examine/investigate yourself via confrontation. Its the looking in the mirror metaphor. To which the confrontation is really with yourself…facing your fears, demons, anxieties, i.e., the wrathful deities.

Confronting is the warrior’s stance, mindfulness is the warrior’s sword and to yield/humbleness is the warrior’s action…thereby the wrathful become the peaceful. To which the skillful response is to yield and examine with mindfulness the offered confrontation/teaching in hopes to gain insight and therefore prevail.

Now there are times/occurrences…when the intention to teach/help/being compassionate and graceful that presenting a wrathful/horrifying appearance is a skillful means. And if the opponent runs off, freezes or fights, then, they are unskillful and not ready…however, if the opponent is a skillful warrior then grace/gift is attained.
    Florianoctinomos
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Always fall on your own sword. Apologise for stumbling and prepare to be cannibalised by any available hungry ghosts . . . well that is my plan and I am sticking to it . . . :wave:
    wrathfuldeity