Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Youtube, the sankhara which undoes itself

fivebellsfivebells Veteran
edited June 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Recommended for me on youtube. I think Google needs to tune its algorithm. How are they ever going to make money if they're encouraging our eyeballs to turn away from it? :D

Ask A Monk: Addiction to Entertainment

Invincible_summerInc88Jeffreypersonlobsterseeker242

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I like him!

He did separate Lay from Monastics....
    Good point.

What does it do to you?
    Good point again.

Denial is a problem.
    3 pointer!!

IMHO... treat it like anything
    else....too many cupcakes? too much shopping?
    too much entertainment? It's all the same state...like
    he said.
    Thanks for posting this! :)

May I deal with the state of the mind.....
  • Yeah, Ven. Yuttadhammo has a tonne of good videos.
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    Yuttadhammo! My favorite online bhikkhu...his videos helped me a lot when i 1st started studying buddhism
  • My favorite is Thanissaro. We should set up a steel-cage death match or something.
    Invincible_summerVastmindriverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Buddha fu
    lobsterriverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I love the Sangha. So entertaining in their saffron togas and stylish minimalist extreme coiffures. I am off to sit with my Buddha google giggle gaggle - the Mahasiddhas . . .
    http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/buddhas-dharma/vajradhara-and-84-mahasiddhas.html
    They are so 'naughty' :om:

OMYAHAHUMHRIH
  • "Lord, I have heard that it has been passed down by the ancient teaching lineage of actors that 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas.' What does the Blessed One have to say about that?"
    Talaputa Sutta: To Talaputa the Actor

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn42/sn42.002.than.html
  • Game of Thrones

"Just as when boys or girls are playing the game:[4] as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those games, that's how long they have "fun" with that game, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little games, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.

"In the same way, Radha, you too should smash, scatter, & demolish form, and make it unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for form...

Adapted
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn23/sn23.002.than.html
    DaltheJigsawrivercane
  • @Cinorjer: what kind of answer do you think you get if you ask a Buddha? :)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    fivebells said:

@Cinorjer: what kind of answer do you think you get if you ask a Buddha? :)

The Buddha is busy with non being, so you will have to make do with a sub standard stream entrant, going with the current, whilst avoiding the tendency to grab passing fish . . .
    :o

I have a large screen 3D TV, with a collection of stored films in this room and an even larger 3D TV downstairs. Being an Arahat is the better 'entertainment'. When a friend comes this afternoon, we may sit in the garden, watch a mindless film or visit a local market . . . meditation will not be on the cards. That is life. 'Life is a meditation' is too trite for us beginners . . .

I find going to a local temple or supermarket entertaining. Life is an orgy. Does not mean you have to be celibate or a sex maniac. Find the Middle way.

Take it easy but not too easy . . .

rivercanepegembara
  • fivebells said:

@Cinorjer: what kind of answer do you think you get if you ask a Buddha? :)

Heh. I don't know. Probably something along the lines of "If it bothers you, don't do it. When reading a book, just read. When singing a song, just sing. When dancing, just dance. When meditating, just meditate. Would you like some tea?"

I feel sorry for monks. They give up so much when they shave their heads and put on the robe to willingly take on the hard job of maintaining the Sangha from one generation to the next. It is a sacrifice, the greatest gift we can receive. As @lobster points out, our practice should ideally be about the Middle Way. Unfortunately, we still need people who are willing to dedicate their entire lives to teaching and preserving this thing called Buddhism. I know there's a belief floating around that only monks can be enlightened, but I've always been astonished that any monk managed to be enlightened. They're so busy being monks, the Middle Way takes a beating with them.

A few weeks ago I rented a movie called "Warm Bodies" because my wife likes that sort of movie. Zombies and such. She's a big Twilight fan and thought this might be similar. Normally I will watch a bit then wander off to write or something. But this time, I watched spellbound as a marvelous love story about the power of hope and triumph of the human spirit even against seemingly impossible odds was presented to me. I was uplifted and refreshed after watching it. I was entertained.

lobsterkarmablues
  • jlljll Veteran
    would love to see them discuss jhana.
    no time limit, only KO ends match.
    fivebells said:

My favorite is Thanissaro. We should set up a steel-cage death match or something.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Yes, don't tell @zombiegirl about 'warm bodies' but it is indeed a love story and quite honestly amazing for us undead - oh wait a minute . . . think I am more unborn than undead . . . oh I dunno though . . .
    I am sure I have seen sangha who have a touch of the necro about them . . .

I loved it too . . .

totally agree about the dedication, service and sacrifice of our uniformed branch . . .
    Normal service is now resumed . . .
  • @jll, seriously, Thanissaro would totally kick Yuttadhammo's ass when it comes to Jhana. He would be manifesting the supernatural powers while Yuttadhammo was still dicking around trying to establish appropriate directed thought and evaluation. :)
    Invincible_summer