Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

meditation practice FOR?????

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
It seems to me that no one practices meditation FOR something else. Only before or after meditation practice can we discuss the benefits or disasters that might accrue. But while actually in the midst of practicing -- same as with any other activity -- there is no FOR in the moment. Pounding a nail is pounding a nail at the moment of pounding a nail. The "birdhouse" or "bookshelf" comes before or after ... but not during. "Enlightenment" or "compassion" are what get discussed over beer and chips before or after a meditation practice.

And maybe that's one of the real benefits of meditation practice -- just learning that things are not FOR anything else. It's nothing sexy or spiritual. Isn't it just a fact worth learning? "All things are interconnected" or "there is no separation" are just powerpoint descriptors that may come up before or after.

Pass the chips. :)

What do you think?
riverflowfedericaCittaGlowInvincible_summer

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Popcorn for me, thanks.

;)

lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu is very interesting on the subject of " all things are connected "..
    I was going to find time to look at his view tomorrow..
    But that's for then..
    In the meantime I agree. If we are meditating for something..can we be meditating at all ?
    How can we be one -pointed for secondary reasons ?
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    federica said:

Popcorn for me, thanks.
    ;)

Popcorn, which I offer to Kwan Yin, represents the seed of dharma, the heat of the Buddha and the instant enlightenment of the Sangha releasing their inner self and going off in all directions . . .

I also offer popcorn to myself, seasoned with basil, curry powder, whole peppers, paprika etc and dipped in chilli and ginger sauce . . . yum . . . [lobster gets very excited and the restraints have to be tightened . . . ] however that is another recipe for later offering . . . Basically I don't want Kwan Yin getting too spicey . . . so she is offered minimal or no spice but some salt . . .

Puja, dedication of merit can be done before what most class as formal sitting.

It is also possible to direct ones arisings of metta to a person or situation.
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~camer008/meditation.tonglen.html

. . . time to improve the/our world?

OM YA HA HUM HRIH

• zenffzenff Veteran
    genkaku said:

Pounding a nail is pounding a nail at the moment of pounding a nail. ..
    And maybe that's one of the real benefits of meditation practice -- just learning that things are not FOR anything else. It's nothing sexy or spiritual...

What do you think?

I think that’s a crucial observation.
    Here and now –even before we can name it “here and now”- pounding a nail without separating from it and naming it “pounding”or “nail”.

Nothing special.
    riverflow
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I feel the "do nothing, be nothing" approach to meditation is a skillful means of co-opting spiritual materialism. However, it can be overemphasized to the point where meditation devolves into meaninglessness.

I meditate for the benefit of all beings. That sounds grandiose, but I need something to mediate the sneaking suspicion that I'm simply sitting on my ass like a lazy bum to no one's benefit. :P
    JeffreyInvincible_summerEvenThird
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Good luck on getting Zen meditation to do anything for anyone while transcending subject & object.
    lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Glow said:

Personally, I feel the "do nothing, be nothing" approach to meditation is a skillful means of co-opting spiritual materialism. However, it can be overemphasized to the point where meditation devolves into meaninglessness.

I meditate for the benefit of all beings. That sounds grandiose, but I need something to mediate the sneaking suspicion that I'm simply sitting on my ass like a lazy bum to no one's benefit. :P

So at that moment what is arising is the thought that you are sitting on your ass like a lazy bum to no ones benefit..which is another thought that arises and passes. No better and no worse than any other thought.
    GlowInvincible_summerEvenThird
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    To the OP nice post and I would agree. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Joshu asked Nansen, “What is the Way?”

“Ordinary mind is the Way,” Nansen replied.

“Shall I try to seek after it?” Joshu asked.

“If you try for it, you will become separated from it,” responded Nansen.

“How can I know the Way unless I try for it?” persisted Joshu. Nansen said, “The Way is not a matter of knowing or not knowing. Knowing is delusion; not knowing is confusion. When you have really reached the true Way beyond doubt, you will find it vast and boundless as outer space. How can it be talked about on the level of right and wrong?”

With these words, Joshu came to a sudden realization.
    riverflowJeffreyzenff
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The meaning is a quality of awareness; it is a feeling. Our awareness and any other awareness has a sense of feeling and meaning. Even when you are suicidal over an existential crisis, the painful feeling is actually the very feeling that you have to work with. You sense another possibility.

So the meaning of meditation doesn't start or cease with the cushion. Craving is looking for the meaning in the wrong place "I will get that". Or it could be aversion "I will destroy or stop that"
    lobsterEvenThird
  • I certainly practice it for something else: the end of suffering. That's what it says it does on the tin.

Yes, the desire to end suffering is suffering in itself. The nice thing about the path is that you don't have to do the whole thing at once if you aren't able to (and most people aren't.) It specifies increasingly refined forms of suffering, and the desire to end suffering is one of the last things to go.

Anyone who thinks they're not practicing meditation for the end of suffering is probably either lying or stupid. It is just barely possible that they are completely enlightened.
    Invincible_summerlobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I am not enlightened, so clearly I am either lying or stupid. Or just possibly I don't share your view of the world. Meditating to end suffering seems to me like sticking your finger in your eye for the joy of the way it feels when you stop...
    how
  • How are you meditating? What do you think the Buddha meant when he said he taught two things, suffering and the end of suffering?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I think thats a 'when did you stop beating your wife ' question.. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @fivebells, The mahayana practices and takes refuge in the Buddha until all sentient beings reach Buddhahood. Even a bodhisattva has overcome suffering because they know the kleshas are essenceless, thus they realize everything is ungraspable.
    lobster
  • @Citta, do you mean it's a loaded question? In what way?

@Jeffrey, I think that's a pretty tragic watering down of what the Buddha originally offered. If the kleshas are still running the show and messing things up, it doesn't really matter that they're recognized as essenceless. Recognition of a phenomenon as essenceless is mostly useful as a way to disidentify from it so that it can be dispassionately dissected and brought to an end. And virtue, generosity, mindfulness, all the other wings to awakening are graspable in the right circumstances.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Well once you realize the kleshas are essenceless you send them out of your practice or personal mandala. They have no pull to you. They are the ego mandala and when you recognize them as such you gradually notice the messengers (pain) and guardians (signals) that help you expel the ego mandala. In mahayana this is the same thing as realizing emptiness. The shravaka level in common to a lot of traditions is non-clinging to the skhandas. There are more subtler teachings on emptiness available as well.
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Basically it's false to say the mahayana doesn't take care of kleshas. It is true that the mahayana takes the kleshas as path and discovers a deeper level where the kleshas emanate from the ego mandala. They can't emanate on their own and the enemation is no other than bodhicitta. But the ego mandala has distorted the bodhicitta which makes it a klesha.

So mahayana is a technique to handle kleshas (also). I thought you were a mahayana Buddhist as you said, @fivebells?

Oh and there is no doubt that the mahayana is different from the Theravada. I don't buy arguments like "my CANON is the true one", however.
    lobster
    fivebells said:

I certainly practice it for something else: the end of suffering. That's what it says it does on the tin.

Yes, the desire to end suffering is suffering in itself. The nice thing about the path is that you don't have to do the whole thing at once if you aren't able to (and most people aren't.) It specifies increasingly refined forms of suffering, and the desire to end suffering is one of the last things to go.

Anyone who thinks they're not practicing meditation for the end of suffering is probably either lying or stupid. It is just barely possible that they are completely enlightened.

On one level that is true, but on another level, it's not. Depends on how you look at it IMO. If you just sit there and you are just breathing in and out, moment to moment, and that's all you are doing, you could say you are not trying to end suffering, you are just breathing in and out and that's it.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I am not enlightened,
    @citta -- Nothing personal, but I hate it when people say this. Maybe in another lifetime I will be more generous, but that is then and this is now. :)

The reason I dislike the line, whether offered in false or true humility, is that in order for someone to know s/he was not enlightened, s/he would first have to know what enlightenment was ... and in order to know that, s/he would have to be enlightened. And so, from my point of view, the proposition falls flat on its face whether in reality or merely based on intellect.

Just because someone finds aspects of life unsatisfactory (dukkha) and wishes things could be more peaceful is not at all the same as referring to themselves as unenlightened.

I trust you understand this is not some ad hominem attack, @citta ... I'd be perfectly willing to say the same to any hominem who used the line. :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @Jeffrey, I never said the mahayana doesn't take care of kleshas, I was responding to your soteriology of overcoming suffering simply by realizing the kleshas are essenceless. Your later characterization in terms of messengers and guardians is very different from that, and operationally indistinguishable from key hinayana practices as I understand them.

Yes, I am a Mahayana Buddhist, doing hinayana practices. I think the Mahayana practices build on the hinayana practices, and are basically useless without a mastery of hinayana practice as a foundation.

Nor did I say anywhere that any canon is a true one. I said your creed is weak sauce, and gave a well-reasoned argument for it.

@seeker242, true as far as it goes, but you're never just sitting there breathing in and out. When you reach a point where it seems as though that's happening, it is time to study the factors of attention, intention, fabrication, perception and feeling which are making up the experience of just sitting there breathing in and out, and take them apart.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Now that I am enlightened (when nobody was looking), nothing much has changed, but all my miserable flaws are now perfectly acceptable.
    Obviously I am only a Bhumis 1, stream entrant, barely swimming in the right direction sort of buddha with a small be.

However I am exceptionally humble and wise (not that anyone would notice).

Being as my being now extends to the great brain unwashed, I am forced into the realisation that dukkha, miserable as it seems is all around. In order to be a Real Buddha of cosmic proportions, anything that is suffering is my responsibility . . .I could be here for eternity.

Oh well, wasn't doing anything special any how's . . . :om:

Be kind to me, I am not the only flawed BodySatvia.

I will shortly be releasing a song of realization . . . probably to the tune of 'I taught, I thaw a Buddha Cat a creep king up on me . . . '

Crusty S Lobster (bodhisattva enabled)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Cool @fivebells. In my mind seeing the kleshas are essenceless is basically the same thing as not clinging to aggregates as a way of disempowering them. I took the term from our sangha's liturgy paying homage to the three jewels. The sangha recognizes the kleshas are essenceless. Please don't use harsh speech like 'weak sauce'. That's a form of bickering.
  • The harsh speech was in response to your "one true canon" mischaracterization. It's a standard accusation of yours whenever this kind of thing comes up, that whoever says something which makes you uncomfortable must be a sectarian or a "gurutarian." I have demonstrated multiple times at this point that it does not apply in my case, and it's getting tedious.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I did project that on you. I thought this comment:

I think that's a pretty tragic watering down of what the Buddha originally offered.
    was coming from a sectarian place. Now I understand your position and I am sorry it was tiring.

I think you just didn't know what all was included intertwined in my mind with realizing things are essenceless. That's also not a weak argument. Nagarjuna said things like the kleshas being essenceless.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Lobster

Congrats on your promotion, although it doesn't seem fair that mammals get the distinctiveness of stream entry whereas crustaceans just get what? the same old?
    riverflowlobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If the kleshas were real then the self would also have to be real because they condition each other. So realizing the kleshas are not real we also realize the self isn't reality. ;)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    fivebells said:

I certainly practice it for something else: the end of suffering. That's what it says it does on the tin.

There is a twist to this aspiration to end all suffering. There was a thread recently about the enlightened monk who explained that he was “as miserable as ever”.

There’s a view (I don’t hear it on this forum but I did encounter it a few times) which says that to end all suffering is to stop the cycle of rebirth, period. All existence is suffering and therefore not existing is liberation from suffering. That’s Buddhism seen as some kind of anti-life movement.

The other view says that enlightened life is possible. It is “life without suffering” which is “as miserable as ever”.
    The image is that of the lotus flower; bright leaves and roots in the mud. I personally like the phrase I picked up somewhere: “If you want to cross the ocean of suffering you must take the ship with no bottom”.

We probably all start out trying to improve our lives in some way. I remember my first meditation class where we were asked about our motivation. Everyone wanted something very profane out of their practice.
    But at some point we must take the ship with no bottom.
    riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Maybe I'm being dim here but I thought the OP was just talking about not feeding a hope or aspiration in formal meditation. There was no mention of what should or should not bring us to practise.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @how I think it was something broader.
    genkaku said:

And maybe that's one of the real benefits of meditation practice -- just learning that things are not FOR anything else.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    how said:

@Lobster

Congrats on your promotion, although it doesn't seem fair that mammals get the distinctiveness of stream entry whereas crustaceans just get what? the same old?

:bawl:

New shell and a whisker trim, same old story, no rest this side of para-nirvana.
    fivebells said:

@seeker242, true as far as it goes, but you're never just sitting there breathing in and out. When you reach a point where it seems as though that's happening, it is time to study the factors of attention, intention, fabrication, perception and feeling which are making up the experience of just sitting there breathing in and out, and take them apart.

That is one technique yes. Other techniques, like Dogen's Shikantaza, you don't do any of that, not even the breathing in and out part. You just sit there and that's it. You could even go so far as to say that you aren't even doing the act of just sitting there. Of course breathing and sitting still are happening, but it is not you doing them. As one person puts it "We release ourselves from action-taking and thereby release objects from conceptualization. In thus releasing both subject and object, we practice immediate presence in the fullness of experience: Genjokoan"

riverflowzenff
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Straight to the point in two sentences. Love it.
    riverflow
  • how said:

Maybe I'm being dim here but I thought the OP was just talking about not feeding a hope or aspiration in formal meditation. There was no mention of what should or should not bring us to practise.

There's plenty of room for hope and aspiration in formal meditation. Reminding yourself that you're doing it for the sake of ending your own suffering can really help to establish good concentration.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    <
    fivebells said:
    » show previous quotes
    how said:

There's plenty of room for hope and aspiration in formal meditation. Reminding yourself that you're doing it for the sake of ending your own suffering can really help to establish good concentration.

@fivebells
    It's good to be reminded of how many different meditations there are out there.

I understand how my post might have sounded meditatively myopic but I was addressing an OP who speaks as if his practise is Shikantaza. (presumptuous I know but every practise leaves its flavour).

In that form of meditation, specific mental formations (whether deemed by the meditater as beneficial or a hindrance) are simply not deliberately fed. Eventually with such a practise, even the hopes & inspirations that brought you there, fall away as the meditater and the meditation become indistinguishable from each other. Here with no separation between the meditative inertia and the meditater, there is no favouring of one sense gate over another. Sometime this is likened to how one adjusts a pillow while asleep in the middle of the night to describe a practise that is no longer done for the sake of one's own salvation.

If Genkaku was speaking more of the general practise as opposed to his formal meditation, (as others have said) then your view is well taken.
    Invincible_summer
  • @how, you're probably right that @genkaku does shikantaza practice, but to say "no one practices meditation FOR something else" covers a lot more ground than that.

I did a shikantaza-style practice for years, and it wasn't effective for me. For that kind of practice to go where it's supposed to, it's not enough to give up deliberate feeding, you have to give up the feeding you don't see, too.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

@how, you're probably right that @genkaku does shikantaza practice, but to say "no one practices meditation FOR something else" covers a lot more ground than that.

I did a shikantaza-style practice for years, and it wasn't effective for me. For that kind of practice to go where it's supposed to, it's not enough to give up deliberate feeding, you have to give up the feeding you don't see, too.

@Fivebells
    Can't find anywhere on this thread where anyone said "NO ONE", but you..

I thought Genkaku was speaking of his form of practise and other folks just extrapolated with what made their practise different.
    I wasn't saying Genkaku was right and others were wrong, just that the meditative minutia being discussed was really about differences between meditative forms where I thought Gengaku was actually asking about a commonality.

You do explain well why Zen wasn't effective for you. I don't think Zen takes those who continue to foster a separate meditative entity, very far. There are other paths better suited for that issue.

So...
    I'll see you a feeding that we don't see and raise you nothing.
  • how said:

Can't find anywhere on this thread where anyone said "NO ONE", but you..

Hmm, I see it as the first line in Genkaku's original post, in my browser. What do you see there?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Aaauuuuggghhhh! Oh you mean right in the first line of Genkaku's post?
    Well, if your going to get accurate... :facepalm:
    zenffInvincible_summer
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I guess I'll have to plead guilty on a couple of fronts. First, to the extent I can put a name to whatever I do on the cushion, I guess shikantaza (kind of...maybe... limpingly) is as good a description as any. Second, I was generalizing about any action: Anyone might say they were building a bird house or practicing on behalf of all sentient beings, but in the midst of pounding a nail or sitting on the zafu ... well, I just don't think it's possible to do it FOR something else ... unless, of course, the carpenter or meditation student really wanted to screw the pooch
    riverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    What do you think?
    . . . trying to give it up. :-/
    If I do, think of it as a meritorious non thought . . .
    :banghead:
    Till then will continue banging my head against the wall . . .
    . . . such relief when you stop . . . thus have I heard . . .

:rolleyes:
    riverflow
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Agreed. First prize for genkaku. What was that prize FOR, again?
    riverflow
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited June 2013
    fivebells said:

.Anyone who thinks they're not practicing meditation for the end of suffering is probably either lying or stupid. It is just barely possible that they are completely enlightened.

According to the first noble truth, everyone suffers. Now what happens when someone suffers? They seek a way to end that suffering eg. We're hot so we turn on the fan, we're cold so we turn on the heating, we're hungry so we eat some snacks, we get sick so we take some medicine, our muscles start to ache, so we adjust our posture, etc. Basically, if we observe what is the intention behind most of our mundane daily actions, it is clear that our primary motivation is often to ease our own suffering. And it seems fair to say that this motivation to ease our own suffering arises naturally from the experience of suffering itself.

So, everyone has the natural urge to end their own suffering. I think we all know this because what is the basis for our compassion? Is it not the knowledge that there is a universal desire by everyone to end their own suffering?

When we consider the truth of the presence of this natural urge to ease our own suffering, we can see why the Buddha, In the Nibbedhika Sutta, declares:
    And what is the result of suffering? There are some cases in which a person overcome with pain, his mind exhausted, grieves, mourns, laments, beats his breast, & becomes bewildered. Or one overcome with pain, his mind exhausted, comes to search outside, 'Who knows a way or two to stop this pain?' I tell you, monks, that suffering results either in bewilderment or in search. This is called the result of suffering.
    So it is possible to conclude that one motivation for following the path is to search for a way to end suffering. However, it is not necessarily the only motivation. I can see that apart from the motivation to end our own suffering, we could easily also be motivated by the desire to end other people's suffering or by an intellectual desire to understand the truth of things. But I think that given the fact that we all experience suffering, we will also have a desire to end this suffering and thus whether consciously or not, at least one of the motivating factors to follow the path is to end our own suffering.

That is why the Buddha said in the aforementioned Sutta:
    Now when a disciple of the noble ones discerns [the first noble truth that birth is suffering, aging is suffering, etc.], the [second noble truth that suffering is caused by craving]..., [the third noble truth that the noble eightfold path is the practice leading to the cessation of suffering], then he discerns this penetrative holy life as the cessation of suffering.
    So, while there may be a variety of reasons/motivating factors for our practice, at least one of the underlying reasons is to end our own suffering.

But that is to talk of general motivating factors. When we look at specific acts which can be considered as part of our practice, I think we can say that at specific moments in time, the desire to end our own suffering is not necessarily present for all specific actions we take which may be considered as part of our practice. For example, we see a hungry man. We give him food. The motivating factor for that is compassion. At that specific moment we are motivated by compassion rather than to end our own suffering. However, when we look at the big picture, we can say that compassion is part of our practice and one of our motivations for following the practice is to end our own suffering. While that may be true, the specific motivation when carrying out an act of compassion is still normally just for the sake of compassion alone.

So I think this is the same with meditation. It is possible for someone to practice meditation with some other purpose in mind such as for an intellectual desire to gain knowledge of the truth or perhaps out of compassion to understand the truth so as to be able to help others.

So I don't think it is always that case that one engages in meditation to end one's own suffering. I think it applies more when we talk in general terms about following the practice. Only then, I think that we can say that out of the many reasons one may have for following the practice, this would include the motivation to end our own suffering.