Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Could seeing Truth/Enlightenment possibly lead to suicide?

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2013 in General Banter
(forgive me if my title is uncomfortable for some)

My question arises because, i often wonder if 'enlightenment' is different for different people?
Could it be something that when one finally 'sees' the 'truth' (enlightenment) he cannot bare the reality and his life could even become worse because its not exactly what he was hoping for?

We all assume that; to be enlightened is a 'good' thing! But to be enlightened is to see 'truth' and truth may not always be comfortable!! (Although still truth)

Perhaps im looking at this from a non buddhist perspective;

HOWEVER,

the reason that im asking this is because i had an Uncle who was very spiritual, he always wanted to better himself and was always seeking enlightenment! He was into buddhism (as well as other practices) and he always kept DIARIES and LETTERS;
Now the thing is when we (family and friends) read his diaries and letters its sounds like he 'did' achieve his goal in finding the answer to his questions; and it comes across like he couldnt 'hack' whatever it was he found out!!

He was never really a 'depressed' person, and always seemed happy, generous, and loving but according to his writings he didnt 'like how the world was' even though he 'stated' that he was happy with who 'he' was he decided it was time to remove himself from the world!

He used to speak and write of a 'truth reality' (as he would call it) "a truth about reality in which he didnt like"

He died before i could ask him any questions about this;

Ive always wondered deep down what another enlightened person would have to say about his writings; what was this truth he thought he knew? Why couldnt he hack it? Did he remove himself because he realized a truth and couldnt deal with it etc...

He attended alot of retreats and even stayed in monastries etc...

Then at the age of 28 he commit suicide! Very strange ! His diary doesnt talk of being depressed but more about hos journey has come to an end!!!'

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I see Buddhism as not what happens to you, but how you react to what happens to you.

I suppose that a Buddhist could wrongly move toward suicide (as in wrong thinking).
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • What is 'wrong' about suicide though?

(Im not saying 'i' think its right or wrong but if someones realization didnt live up to expectation then they may decide to call it a day 'before' death catches you!

I may have just figured out my answer anyway;
    I suppose the answer is; 'we should expect anything anyway, we shouldnt be expecting enlightenment to be a certain way, this is what would have caused confusion and disapointment etc..

Perhaps my uncle felt the way he did 'because' he 'wrongly' expected his realization to be something it wasnt!?!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    zenmyste said:

What is 'wrong' about suicide though?

(Im not saying 'i' think its right or wrong but if someones realization didnt live up to expectation then they may decide to call it a day 'before' death catches you!

I may have just figured out my answer anyway;
    I suppose the answer is; 'we should expect anything anyway, we shouldnt be expecting enlightenment to be a certain way, this is what would have caused confusion and disapointment etc..

Perhaps my uncle felt the way he did 'because' he 'wrongly' expected his realization to be something it wasnt!?!

Actually, I didn't say suicide was wrong. I think suicide can be wrong, but I think there are circumstances where it is justified.

zenmysteriverflow
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    sad to hear about your uncle.

from what i have read in spirituality till now, the common thing which seems to me is : when a person might truely see ultimate reality, the mind shall change as ignorance is removed and then the mind after that experience will not return back to ignorant mind. so after experiencing ultimate reality, a feeling to end oneself shall not arise because suicide is a wrong act because it is driven by wrong thinking. why destroy a life, if you cannot create a life.

my suggestion - don't waste time in thinking what your uncle knew or did not know, or what lead him to do such a wrong act - it was your uncle's karma for which your uncle was only responsible - you are responsible for your karma, so use your time wisely. metta to you and all sentient beings.
    zenmysteriverflowmaarten
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited June 2013
    zenmyste said:

He was never really a 'depressed' person, and always seemed happy, generous, and loving but according to his writings he didnt 'like how the world was' even though he 'stated' that he was happy with who 'he' was he decided it was time to remove himself from the world!

@zenmyste - I'm sorry to hear about your uncle and also the many unanswered questions he left in his wake.

In my own experience, you can be depressed-- and suicidal-- and not share it with anyone or show it to anyone. No one would've guessed how bad of shape I was in about ten years ago, including my ex-wife or my family.

The thought never even occurred to me that I was depressed, even though looking back now it is so obvious to me!

There is nothing "wrong" with suicide per se, but it is an indication that one is suffering deeply and is unable to see any other possible resolution from that pain. I don't think people who want to commit suicide should be judged "right" or "wrong"-- they just desperately need help.
    Invincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • More to the point about "enlightenment" leading to suicide... If you are desperately grabbing out for "salvation" (of ANY kind, Buddhist or whatever), then yes, there is an expectation placed beforehand on what such a thing would consist of.

And it is precisely the gap between where one perceives oneself now and this projected ideal that creates MORE not LESS suffering. It is just more dukkha being created out of the desire for an IDEA of what "enlightenment" is.

I'm not saying awakening shouldn't be talked about, but I do think there comes a point where ideas about awakening need to be dropped, where they serve to hinder, not help.

If you are an aspiring concert pianist, practice means doing scales, finger exercises, rehearsing endlessly, perfecting technique. It is that and only that-- just concentrating on practice. Daydreaming about performing in front of impressed crowds does not help but actually takes away from the practice.

There comes a point where trusting the practice is the only thing. "Enlightenment"-- whatever the heck that is-- will come of its own accord, in its own time.
    Invincible_summerFlorian
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, I don't believe it could.

Delusion leads to suicide.
    Enlightenment leads to transcendence.
    vinlynzenmysteInvincible_summerTheEccentric
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Former President Harry S. Truman once observed, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

As long as spiritual life is something different or better, there is bound to be some -- maybe profound -- disappointment.
    riverflowzenmysteLucy_Begood
  • riverflow said:

zenmyste said:

There is nothing "wrong" with suicide per se, but it is an indication that one is suffering deeply and is unable to see any other possible resolution from that pain. I don't think people who want to commit suicide should be judged "right" or "wrong"-- they just desperately need help.
    Mmm, see id have to disagree i think! im not too sure anymore that all suicides indicates that one is suffering! (I know society think that because its the 'norm' that most suicides are depressed etc.. But im slowly thinking there may be the odd one or two that removed themselves from the world 'because' he understood something that others didnt and the only way to 'pure' freedom was to commit... !

Anyway, its a very dodgy subject and hard to express in words what im getting at! I wont say no more on this subject, thanks anyway everyone for your answers! :-)
This discussion has been closed.