Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monks behaving badly...oops. ;-)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Of course if there is no attachment to the techno bling, meaning no sense of possessiveness over it, then it's just Buddhism unfolding in the modern world.
    If however your freedom to move independently from any of it is compromised by the self, then it's time to put the toys aside.
    Does anyone know why they were flying on a private jet or if the listening or watching material was Dharmic?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    From what I could gather, they had been touring Buddhist temples in Europe.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    "We can explain this, but not now," she said, saying that the abbot, who appeared in the video, is currently on a religious tour in France.

Nopparat of the Office of National Buddhism said, "one way to prevent the monks from misbehaving is for followers not to spoil them with valuable objects or vices. In many cases, it was the followers who gave the monks the luxury. Some bought them sports cars. This is by no means necessary."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :rolleyes:
  • In my humble opinion, wrongness would be present if attachment was developed towards the objects, yes. Ordained or not, we should all fight against our own delusions. Now, I can't possibly know why the monks there seem (please notice the -seem-) to be enjoying a fancy trip; or if they actually do at all. But I do know that at a first level of reaction I can either like it or not. Now...how could I be against prople having a moment of happiness, even if impure samsaric one? They don't seem to be hurting anybody there; and I have not the ability to know their minds and be certain if attachment is present there or not. He only mind we can know, and with much trouble, is ours.(giggles). On a second level of reading, I can say things that are perceived by a sentient being are merely the result of that being's karma, so, if I see it as a bad thing, then I know for sure whose world is like that...oops...seems like instead of sending the monks to monk school, it could be my own karma that could need purification (that is, IF i am interested in perceiving a "better" world). Another reading is that for some reason i have found that people tend to think Buddha lacks a sensse of humor, this I find hard to believe, and this picture could easily be an example if something...that I need to realize. So...to make my long post a short one, I can say that the reading of events, that is, the good or bad tag that I apply to them is merely depending on the mind of the perceiving being, rather than on the object on itself. Anyway! Those were my two cents!
    (*^_^*)
  • This reminds me of the Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche thread.

I guess the question is, where do we draw the line in our preconceived notions of what a monk/nun should or shouldn't do?

Personally, I don't see these monks as being attached to the sunglasses/headphones/private jet, therefore I don't see a problem with it. I don't know the story behind why they were utilizing the objects, but I surely don't see them as rolling around in the plane in a state of samsaric ecstasy either. If that were the case, I'm sure they wouldn't be in their robes, either. Not saying that there aren't some monks/nuns out there who abuse their status to gain money/sex/drugs/etc. for their own hedonistic pleasures, but for some reason I didn't quite get that vibe from these monks. Maybe the private jet came with all that junk and that's why they were using them? To them, perhaps it meant nothing "flashy" but only had practical use.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Personally, I don't see these monks as being attached to the sunglasses/headphones/private jet, therefore I don't see a problem with it.

I suppose it's not necessarily a problem as I'm unable to delineate the precise effect of what they do to my experience of reality - nor is it an indictment against an entire class of people... buuuuut...

There is an effect - a number of ongoing effects.
    For example, the system of the 'designer' product is perpetuated.
    Say a reasonable pair cost £100 - how much suffering can that alleviate - as an example, it costs around £3 to cure river blindness - it costs less than 1 pence for a nutritious meal - 20 pence for a spade for growing food, 2 pence for seeds...
    The fact that anyone can wear £100 or more on their face to stop the sun inconveniencing them staggers me when people are in poor health, starving and dying around most of the world.

In my mind, it is amusing that the trappings of division are utilised to transport a bunch of people around the world so they can preach about alleviation of suffering whilst generating the trappings of division.
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Zero said:

Personally, I don't see these monks as being attached to the sunglasses/headphones/private jet, therefore I don't see a problem with it.

I suppose it's not necessarily a problem as I'm unable to delineate the precise effect of what they do to my experience of reality - nor is it an indictment against an entire class of people... buuuuut...

There is an effect - a number of ongoing effects.
    For example, the system of the 'designer' product is perpetuated.
    Say a reasonable pair cost £100 - how much suffering can that alleviate - as an example, it costs around £3 to cure river blindness - it costs less than 1 pence for a nutritious meal - 20 pence for a spade for growing food, 2 pence for seeds...
    The fact that anyone can wear £100 or more on their face to stop the sun inconveniencing them staggers me when people are in poor health, starving and dying around most of the world.

In my mind, it is amusing that the trappings of division are utilised to transport a bunch of people around the world so they can preach about alleviation of suffering whilst generating the trappings of division.
    Oh, I totally agree with you. I was just wondering if they bought the stuff themselves or it was provided/donated to them. Aren't monks not really supposed to reject things offered to them (although I will say that a Theravadan monk once rejected part of a monetary donation I made after a blessing I had received... his reasoning as to why made a lot of sense)? Also, who's to say they won't giveaway the items later? Just too many unanswered questions for me, that's all. But I agree that the money spent on those items (whomever purchased them) would be best spent on other more important things as far as Buddhism/charity is concerned.

I guess the question is, where do we draw the line in our preconceived notions of what a monk/nun should or shouldn't do?

Personally, I don't see these monks as being attached to the sunglasses/headphones/private jet, therefore I don't see a problem with it. I don't know the story behind why they were utilizing the objects, but I surely don't see them as rolling around in the plane in a state of samsaric ecstasy either. If that were the case, I'm sure they wouldn't be in their robes, either. Not saying that there aren't some monks/nuns out there who abuse their status to gain money/sex/drugs/etc. for their own hedonistic pleasures, but for some reason I didn't quite get that vibe from these monks. Maybe the private jet came with all that junk and that's why they were using them? To them, perhaps it meant nothing "flashy" but only had practical use.

Actually, I pretty much agree with you. But then, I think a lot of the "additional" Precepts for monks are silly and ought to be modernized.

TheEccentricSillyPutty
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    This is a bit ridiculous, I mean I don't think as long as your not attached to them having sunglasses, travel bags or any electronic devices are going to affect your path to the cessation of suffering.

A lot of the rules enforced upon monastics often come across as stupid and almost verge on funny rather than serious like not being able to eat after noon, torturing yourself is not the way.
    vinlyn
  • They are not behaving badly. That is a dualism concept. We all are attached to something/s. This just reeks of religious nonsense, and reporters who have a job to do. Wash your own rice bowl......stop judging others, quit reading such stupid articles. :)
    SillyPutty
    wondering said:

They are not behaving badly. That is a dualism concept. We all are attached to something/s. This just reeks of religious nonsense, and reporters who have a job to do. Wash your own rice bowl......stop judging others, quit reading such stupid articles. :)

Considering that the Office of National Buddhism -- a formal government agency which is directly affiliated with the Supreme Sangha of Thailand -- officially reprimanded the temple...I'd say that Thais don't quite agree with you. Thailand has been very concerned recently that the laity are moving away from being active Buddhists and that the number of Thai monks is steadily decreasing at a fairly rapid rate. And the reason often given for this is the behavior the laity see among monks (a perfect example of which is the frequency with which you see monks shopping at Pantip Plaza (and such places) for high tech "stuff").

• The "Supreme Sangha of Thailand", who gives a spit? :)
  • Your comment just enforces the understanding that this is all about "religion", if that is all it is, there is conflict everywhere, about everything! :)
    wondering said:

The "Supreme Sangha of Thailand", who gives a spit? :)

Well, let's put it this way, the Supreme Sangha of Thailand, in affiliation with the government controls Buddhism in Thailand, has the ability to strip monks of their ordainment (and does), decides which temples can exist, has legal enforcement power against monks (with the ability to imprison them)...I could go on.

So I guess about 66 million people in Thailand give a spit. You're free not to, of course.
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited June 2013

A lot of the rules enforced upon monastics often come across as stupid and almost verge on funny rather than serious like not being able to eat after noon, torturing yourself is not the way.

To some householders, yes, a lot of the Vinaya rules may come across as stupid as you say. But for the monks themselves, I believe they value their monastic code. Since they live those rules as part of their lives they would be in a better position to understand how such rules are in fact beneficial.

If the monks felt that a lot of the rules they are made to follow are stupid, ridiculous, useless or even detrimental to their practice as you suggest, they would disrobe and practice as ordinary householders instead. However, many serious Buddhist practitioners choose to become ordained and many of them choose to remain ordained throughout their entire lives with firm dedication to the practice of the Dhamma. These monks obviously benefit from following the Vinaya rules. When I am in the presence of such monks, I can observe their peacefulness and their simple lives and mindful behaviour inspires faith and confidence.

I've read a number of autobiographies written by Thai and Western monks (in the Theravada tradition) and I have never come across any of them complaining about having to follow 227 rules or how they found some of the rules silly or useless. In fact whenever a monk mentions the monastic rules it would be in praise of them. One observation I remember distinctly is how the fact that since virtually all of a monk's behaviour is regulated, this requires them to be very mindful at all times to avoid transgressing a rule. When I turn and look at my own practice of the five precepts, it is evident that just keeping five requires quite a lot of mindfulness in my daily activities so I can imagine how mindful the monks have to be in order to keep 227 rules intact.

Also, what you may perceive as "torture" isn't necessarily so for everyone especially the monks. For example, when I go to retreats, I keep the eight precepts which includes not eating after noontime. At some temples in the Thai forest monk tradition I've been to, meals can be restricted to once a day to be taken at around 6.00 am in the morning. Yes, the first day or two I do feel hungry but would hardly consider it "torture". Nobody else I know who goes on such meditation retreats complain about the sixth precept so I believe my experience with it is a common one. So it normally takes just one or two days to adapt to the new eating routine. The point about not eating after noontime is to help the mind stay awake and alert as eating promotes sleepiness/drowsiness which is a hindrance to meditation. And after a few days of limiting my food intake in accordance with the sixth precept, my body actually starts to feel healthier. A lot of other people I know have said the same thing.

seeker242Invincible_summer
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Well I don't think that food makes you drowsy, for me quite the opposite, you can eat after noon and still not be to full later on to engage in meditation, and how is hunger going to help mediation?

One meal a day is torture and unreasonable and is far from healthy, it actually is healthy to do pretty much the opposite small portions but spread out across the day.
    edited June 2013
    I think one of the reasons the rule is formulated as a strict no eating after noontime is because if some eating is allowed, then practitioners might actually end up eating too much and this would cause drowsiness.

I don't think hunger particularly helps with meditation but it is not a problem either because like I said, it normally takes just one or two days to adapt to the new eating routine. Hunger will still occasionally arise from time to time, but this is manageable as it's not that acute. Drinking a glass of water can usually make it go away.

The Thai forest monks who eat one meal a day as a norm all seem healthy and well to me. But in general, meditation retreats for lay practitioners will allow two meals, breakfast and early lunch. Honestly, I can say that virtually no one in Thailand regards either practice as torture.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I've marvelled for years at how many monks not subject mid day eating rules, have thwarted attachments from various other forms of renunciation, simply move over to food indulgences.
    Either the masters in charge of these schools are themselves caught in the same way or they consider such indulgenses the lesser evil amongst attachments.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    actually the "eat less but eat many times a day" is proving to not be as healthy as they once thought. Monks meditate quite a bit, from what I have gathered, and there is probably a reason that they maintain the rule about no meals after noon. I also understand that the 2 meals they eat (usually) are pretty good meals. They aren't eating a bowl of fruity pebbles and calling it breakfast like most of us tend to do.

Anyhow as far as the other items, my teacher has tennis shoes and sunglasses, he has a cell phone and one of his gold shirts is even a Nike shirt. Not only does he not care what they may or may not represent to the rest of us (as far as cost, brands, etc) he doesn't even know in relation to everything else because they are things that are purchased for him, as he needs them, by the lady who takes care of those things for him. He needs sunglasses. He needs good shoes and winter boots and a good winter coat. Would he some how be a better monk if his coat came from Walmart instead of Northface? Somehow I doubt it. He doesn't even know the significance of the brand unlike the rest of us.
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I do think that the mid day eating rule of the Buddha in his time had many advantages.

The shadow of a simple stick stuck in the ground was the indisputable timekeeper available for all monks where ever they were.

The hunger of 16 hours of no food encouraged renunciates to arise early for meditation and weeded out those just looking for an easier life in hard times..

It meant that the laity who themselves suffered from seasonal food shortages would likely remain more supportive of those not indulging themselves through food.

There are specific advantages to meditating when the blood flow is not physiologically being directed towards the digestive tract as happens during food digestion.
    The hour following a meal does reduce some blood flow to the brain and some torpor is often reported.

Meditation does balance out the blood flow throughout the body so when one formally meditates while still digesting a meal when the body is trying to encourage the blood flow to the abdominal area, a disquieting body conflict results.
    karmablueslobsterJeffreyInvincible_summer
    edited June 2013
    how said:

I've marvelled for years at how many monks not subject mid day eating rules, have thwarted attachments from various other forms of renunciation, simply move over to food indulgences.
    Either the masters in charge of these schools are themselves caught in the same way or they consider such indulgenses the lesser evil amongst attachments.

In Theravada, contemplation of the four requisites (food, clothes, shelter and medicines) is a very important practice for the monks.

The Buddha said that monks who use the four requisites without contemplation is like consuming a "strong poison". In relation to almsfood, he instructed his monks to contemplate as follows:
    Properly considering almsfood, I use it not playfully, nor for intoxication, nor for putting on weight, nor for beautification; but simply for the survival and continuance of this body, for ending its afflictions, for the support of the chaste life, (thinking) I will destroy old feelings (of hunger) and not create new feelings (from overeating). Thus I will maintain myself, be blameless, and live in comfort.
    The Pali Commentary explains that monks should contemplate almsfood before and after eating as well as during a meal with every swallow. This is why monks are required to eat attentively and only look into their bowls while eating so as to avoid conversation in order to eat mindfully with contemplation. Some temples prohibit conversation during meals.

There are also several rules on eating a meal which prohibits types of behaviour that would be shown by someone who was eating out of greed. eg. "I will not make up an overlarge mouthful of food; nor open my mouth until the portion of food has been brought to it.... I will not eat stuffing out my cheeks."
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Karmablues
    The Theravadin approach has much to be admired.

I was not speaking so much of most monks but instead was speaking of those monks who flouted their food attachment with impunity. This would often be senior monks as the juniors had no such freedoms.

Zen has much ritualized eating etiquette that requires much mindfulness and limits food volume but most monks only live in the Zendo during retreats. All meals are preceded by scriptures that highlight the spirit of your post but the following of this Dharma is often only seen in more formal settings compared to the more common settings away from a masters censure.(if that comes at all).The rules and the Dharma are in place but it is usually the master who sets the tone for how carefully it's followed or not.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I have a friend monk who lives near me in a monastery. Him and I are the same age, and during his lay life he was into the same things I'm into, so we developed a pretty cool friendship.

For one party they were having that was close to X-Mas time I brought him a gift. They were pretty awesome sunglasses, they looked a lot like the pic posted lol. He was really happy to get them he put them on right away and was making a few people laugh when he greeted them inside with them, he now wears them often when he's out.
  • My main concern with not being able to eat past noon has to do with the fact that I suffer from low blood sugar and sometimes I have to eat something or I can suffer a hypoglycemic blackout. I'm sure exceptions can be made for health, but I imagine you would first have to establish trust with the other monks, who would want to make sure that you're not just looking to get more food.

I often have to eat even when I'm not hungry due to my blood sugar but I can see where only eating once or twice a day can be beneficial to meditation. When I have been able to go without food for long periods of time I did seem more clear headed. Same thing when not sleeping too much. I love to sleep so that would be difficult for me but I suppose if you are going to wear the robes it is a serious commitment, not to be taken lightly.
  • Here's where perhaps my Zen koan training of ignoring flashy mind traps becomes helpful. Everyone is gasping at the sunglasses and headphones. The temple says it is warning monks about these extravagant gifts like sunglasses and ipods.

Those are distractions to the important question we should be asking. That question is, why are these two monks being flown around in a private jet like some sort of rich rock stars or corporate bigwigs? It says the Abbott is on a "religious tour of France", whatever that means. A tour of Buddhist temples? Are there that many Theravadan Buddhist temples in France to justify treating the monk like he's too important to travel on regular flights like the rest of us?

So we see the picture, and like a koan our minds are trapped by shiny distractions like sunglasses while the big problem is ignored. People treated like royalty will begin to think and act like royalty. That's the human mind doing what it needs to fit in. These monks are beginning to act like rich jet setters because that's the way people are treating them.

I have this sense that many (perhaps most) of the Precepts monks endure are rather irrelevant IF they really are dedicated and have a trained mind.

When I was a principal we would sometimes run across school rules that we couldn't really explain. And we would ask the questions: Is this just useless tradition? If we drop this rule will school life fundamentally change for the worse?

So I will ask, if monks started to eat a light evening meal, would Buddhism fade from the earth?

If the answer is yes, then it's not a valid religion to begin with. I don't think that Buddhism is that frail.
    riverflow
  • Buddhist monks are human beings.
    So people have greed, hatred n delusion.
    to think that buddhist monks are any different from
    christian, muslim or hindu clerics is wishful thinking.
    there are good monks n there are bad monks,
    i am not surprised.
    Invincible_summer
  • there is a purpose for the precept of no foods after noon.
    it is to train the mind n body to be able to be satisfied with the
    basic necessity.

So I will ask, if monks started to eat a light evening meal, would Buddhism fade from the earth?

vinlyn said:

I have this sense that many (perhaps most) of the Precepts monks endure are rather irrelevant IF they really are dedicated and have a trained mind.

When I was a principal we would sometimes run across school rules that we couldn't really explain. And we would ask the questions: Is this just useless tradition? If we drop this rule will school life fundamentally change for the worse?

If the answer is yes, then it's not a valid religion to begin with. I don't think that Buddhism is that frail.

• Answer. probably not.
    but again, why does someone become a monk?

if you have a medical condition, a monk is allowed to eat in the evening.

if you dont, and you want to eat a light meal in the evening,
    dont be a monk. you can still practise buddhism.
    nobody is forcing you to become a monk.

as can be seen from many people who do not eat in the evening,
    monks or not, they look fine n healthy.
    many people who went on meditation retreats report that not eating
    after noon is something you get used to pretty quickly.

Personally I think it's an attachment to an old rule. But, to others, it's carved in stone.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2013
    federica said:

On can criticise these monks all one wants, for their apparently "unskilful" and ostentatious demonstration - what we as a society, as a whole are guilty of, is incomparable.

Is it going too far to perhaps expect that monks would espouse, for want of a better phrase, the more enlightened attributes that humans are capable of, especially when the community is the source of their subsidy?
    An abbot no less.
    Zero said:

Is it going too far to perhaps expect that monks would espouse, for want of a better phrase, the more enlightened attributes that humans are capable of, especially when the community is the source of their subsidy?
    An abbot no less.

And that's exactly the point.

Materialism has encroached on the behavior of many monks in Thailand (by many, I do not mean most). You see them in Pantip Plaza buying computer equipment, in upscale malls in the main shopping district, there have been instances of abbots owning expensive cars, etc. Do I think they're going to Buddhist hell for doing so? No. But what does it say to the laity?

Somebody earlier said, if you don't want to not eat after noon, don't be a monk. Okay. If you want to live a materialistic lifestyle, don't be a monk.

Having said that...well, that's the status quo viewpoint. I also have the view that the monkhood needs to be modernized with lifestyles updated to something that is beyond the 19th century.

Hmmmmm.

betaboy
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    One persons modernization of Buddhism is anothers seduction to materialism.
    Is renunciation for self or others?
    Is it enough to know the teaching or is it being the teaching?
    If everything changes, and Buddhism must eventually fall, what do you think that falling process will look like?
  • If a person feels they need vows, let them take vows. If they break any it is for them to deal with. I cannot know another's mind and should not judge their attachment etc. from their behaviour. Monastic life means mixing with others who share the same lifestyle and vows. The dualities occur when shared vows are broken, or when living with or amongst others who do not share them. Technology is simply a new form of potential attachment. Seems like some people are more bothered by monks having the technology than by their actual behaviour with it - and I don't think drunken lechery, for example, was any less available to monks in the past. Some also get around on planes, knowingly killing millions of insects - should they walk and swim, maybe? LOL :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I'm not sure I understand. Do they have their own jet or are they just having a ticket on an airplane to tour other sanghas? If the latter I think it is good to have another teacher visit your sangha.
    edited June 2013
    how said:

If everything changes, and Buddhism must eventually fall, what do you think that falling process will look like?

When it comes to great philosophical/religious entities, only the weak actually fall. I don't think Buddhism is weak, nor do I think it will fall if it moves out of a middle ages mindset.

I think there's a sort of "tourist" mindset among many Buddhists that really comes down to isn't it picturesque to see monks in their saffron robes doing their alms rounds. It's a nice postcard.

• Jeffrey said:

I'm not sure I understand. Do they have their own jet or are they just having a ticket on an airplane to tour other sanghas? If the latter I think it is good to have another teacher visit your sangha.

Many monks fly as passengers - rumour has it the Dalai Lama uses planes, but I've not heard anyone accuse him of desirous attachment to aeroplanes. ;)

Yes, many monks do fly...I have seen it often in Thailand. I don't think that's the problem. However it was paid for, this was a private jet. How many of us fly around on private jets?
  • vinlyn said:

Yes, many monks do fly...I have seen it often in Thailand. I don't think that's the problem. However it was paid for, this was a private jet. How many of us fly around on private jets?

Maybe a private jet worked out to be best means for them. We can't know about their desirous attachment to it, which was my point. The technology used isn't an issue for me.

True, but keep in mind they were reprimanded by senior monks. So it's not just our guessing.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    vinlyn said:

how said:

When it comes to great philosophical/religious entities, only the weak actually fall. I don't think Buddhism is weak, nor do I think it will fall if it moves out of a middle ages mindset.

I think there's a sort of "tourist" mindset among many Buddhists that really comes down to isn't it picturesque to see monks in their saffron robes doing their alms rounds. It's a nice postcard.

OK, forgetting about teachings attributed to the Buddha about his teachings inevidable decline, I wonder if you wandered around in the Buddha's country of birth in the 12th century with no Buddhism in sight, if Buddhism could still be called a great philosophical/religous entity by your definition.

It is hubris to think that modernization is only now possible. Why did Buddhism not modernize through all the other ages where folks thought of themselves as modern compared to what went on before them.. or perhaps it did in 11th century India.
    Many think that a modernized buddhism is just another description of how Hinduism consumed the Buddhism of that time.

The modern world is mostly about what we want to believe, as opposed to seeing what really is, much like believing in our identity as opposed to seeing whats real when that identity is no longer being maintained.

What you call a middle ages mindset really just describes our own inability to be a renunciate around modernaties bling..
  • I think monks are under a general duty to act in ways that would not bring the Sangha into disrepute and this includes to refrain from acting in ways that might be perceived as unwholesome or unskillful, regardless of their actual mental state.

So for example, let's take the rule that monks are not allowed to be in a secluded room with a woman alone by themselves. It would not be a defence for the monk to say that he was in a secluded room with a woman while his mind was absolutely pure and free of any lustful desire and he was only intending to speak to this woman about some of the monastery's affairs for a few minutes. This is because the point of the rule is not simply to protect the monk against possible misconduct due to lustful temptations that may arise from being in a room alone with another woman. There is also the other aspect of the rule being to protect the reputation of the Sangha so that people won't go around saying things like, "Hey, I saw a Buddhist monk coming out of a room with this beautiful woman, I wonder what kind of things they might have been up to."

So what a monk would normally do in such situation is either ask another monk to be present in the room while he talks to the woman or to ask the woman to move to a public, unsecluded area to have their conversation.

In the Vinayapitaka, there occurs the following story:
    At one time the Enlightened One, the Lord, was staying at Savatthi in Anathapindika's Park, in the Jeta Grove. Then the Venerable Udayin approached this girl (a newly married daughter of one of Ven Udayin's supporters) and having approached her, he sat down together with that girl, one man and one woman, in a secret place on a secluded, convenient seat, conversing at the right time, speaking Dhamma at the right time ... Visakha (the famous lay woman disciple) saw the Venerable Udayin sitting together with that girl, one man and one woman, in a secret place on a secluded convenient seat. Seeing this, she said to the Venerable Udayin: "This is not proper, honoured sir, it is not suitable, that the master should sit together with womenfolk, one man and one woman, in a secret place on a secluded, convenient seat. Although the master has no desire for that thing (sexual intercourse), unbelieving people are difficult to convince." The Venerable Udayin took no heed of Visakha..... Visakha told this matter to the monks ... The monks became vexed, annoyed and angry and told the matter to the Lord ... The Lord rebuked Ven. Udayin: "How can you, foolish man, sit together with womenfolk, one man and one woman, in a secret place on a secluded, convenient seat?
    how said:

vinlyn said:

how said:

OK, forgetting about teachings attributed to the Buddha about his teachings inevidable decline, I wonder if you wandered around in the Buddha's country of birth in the 12th century with no Buddhism in sight, if Buddhism could still be called a great philosophical/religous entity by your definition.

It is hubris to think that modernization is only now possible. Why did Buddhism not modernize through all the other ages where folks thought of themselves as modern compared to what went on before them.. or perhaps it did in 11th century India.
    Many think that a modernized buddhism is just another description of how Hinduism consumed the Buddhism of that time.

The modern world is mostly about what we want to believe, as opposed to seeing what really is, much like believing in our identity as opposed to seeing whats real when that identity is no longer being maintained.

What you call a middle ages mindset really just describes our own inability to be a renunciate around modernaties bling..
    It's been a long time since I read about Buddha's teaching that inevitably there would be decline of Buddhism. But I don't recall him saying that Buddhism would decline because it updated itself to fit the times. Perhaps the inevitable decline of Buddhism will occur because so much of it remains mired in the mindset of 2,500 years ago.

Actually, Buddhism has updated itself on occasion. I would say the different sects of Buddhism were efforts to clarify Buddhist scriptures and update the way they were looked at. There have been at least 6 Buddhist Councils that did some housekeeping on Buddhist thought.

So, @How, it is your view that if a bhikkhu makes a new bed or bench with legs that is 9 fingerbreadths long, that Buddhism will go into decline?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

So, @How, it is your view that if a bhikkhu makes a new bed or bench with legs that is 9 fingerbreadths long, that Buddhism will go into decline?

I don't think you think that was my point, but just in case...
    The questions here that interest me is what is renunciation and how intrinsic is it to Buddhism's 4 NT, 8FP and D.O. for a renunciate?
    If this is no longer relevant to a "modern" life, is it really the fundamentals of Buddhism that should change or should it stay the course as it has in the past to be available for modernity's next form of Bling?
    Is it like judicial systems where it's not just enough to be true but the good of it is in being seen to be so?

Buddhism must go into decline regardless of what you & I believe.. You can debate what this will mean but not it's inevitability. Historically this has already happened in many places just as sometimes it has later been reintroduced and regained a foothold again.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @vinlyn, quit being argumentative. Splitting hairs is not becoming.
    Pack it in.

how said:

vinlyn said:

I don't think you think that was my point, but just in case...
    The questions here that interest me is what is renunciation and how intrinsic is it to Buddhism's 4 NT, 8FP and D.O. for a renunciate?
    If this is no longer relevant to a "modern" life, is it really the fundamentals of Buddhism that should change or should it stay the course as it has in the past to be available for modernity's next form of Bling?
    Is it like judicial systems where it's not just enough to be true but the good of it is in being seen to be so?

Buddhism must go into decline regardless of what you & I believe.. You can debate what this will mean but not it's inevitability. Historically this has already happened in many places just as sometimes it has later been reintroduced and regained a foothold again.
    Saying it this way, I think I can agree with you. And I believe monks should actively renounce "bling" and what I'll refer to as frivolity. I guess my view is that there are 2 extremes to be avoided here -- one extreme that virtually nothing can change in how monks live, and the other extreme being that monks should move fully into the 21st century. There's some middle road that might be traveled here.

While in grad school for educational administration I remember taking a course about change in institutions (for wont of a better term or phrase). And I remember the discussion about no change versus too much change...both things that can result in the demise of an institution...and where is the balance. We can look at Kodak, for example -- a company that in the advent of the digital era was not willing to make any significant changes -- which has withered from a behemoth of a company to one that is on the verge of disappearing. Or, on the other hand, you have JC Penny that sought to reinvent itself and went way too far, forgetting its roots, and floundering to the point of investors wondering if its time to throw in the towel completely.

How does this relate to Buddhism? In Thailand right now there's a lot of angst about the sharp decline in the number of monks. It's my belief that a large part of that is modern life bumping up against a very traditional form of life for monks. What is missing in the equation is which monks are disappearing? If it is the monk-lite version (those who are monks for only a few weeks as part of a rite of passage), then I don't think it's of true concern. If, on the other hand, it's the long-serving type of monk that is disappearing, then there may be real cause for concern in the dropping numbers.

What I've just written was not attempt to be argumentative or to split hairs. I have too few hairs left to split!

riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @vinlyn
    The unseen irony is while spouting off here about modern bling, I am at the same time preparing hundreds of my own blings involved in my next kayak expedition.

Here I am dissuading a stowaway in a photo that also explains why calling myself a minimalist with pretencions of renunciation today is a bit of a farce.
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summerkarmablues